Alice

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Thank you John, I will take your words to heart. If you are friends with Maisy and talk to her so much, I cannot imagine you are a bad person, while I do think that that boy is rotten. Completely."

"Malachai is a wretch. Him and Olivia both. Just... try to stay out of their circles."

"Who would you suggest instead?" she asked curiously. She'd decided she liked the quiet and straightforward man.

"Myself, for one," he said, his cheeks showing bright spots of color. "Hannah, Josiah, Lucia, Mark, Bernerd, Hassel. I will sit with them and offer you a chair near me as well. They may have other plans and try to get you in their circle. You can make your own choices, of course, but... be careful. They truly are trouble."

"Thank you," she said quietly as they entered the dining hall.

Olivia immediately lifted her hand imperiously and waved her over. Alice smiled at her, her expression blank and empty headed as she held onto John's arm.

Malachai was more direct. "I saved you a seat," he said, pulling the chair next to Olivia out for her.

"Oh! Thank you but I already promised to sit with Maisy," she said with a smile down the table to Maisy who was looking at her hopefully. Maisy beamed.

"I insist," Malachai said, putting a hand on her shoulder to stop her. "Maisy won't mind and if she does? It's not like she matters in the larger scheme of things."

Alice looked up at him, her expression blank and full of innocent shock. "That seems very rude of you sir," she said as if scandalized. For now she would play the simpering, silly lady. At least until she needed to be otherwise. Let them underestimate her. "If you insist, I will sit with you, but I really must ask that you be more kind with your words! John thank you so much for being so thoughtful and escorting me! I hope to speak with you again in the near future, but apparently they must speak to me."

He gave her a guarded nod as she sat down and smiled blankly at the people around her. "Hello!" she said brightly. "I am Alice, won't you all introduce yourselves?"

It was a long meal and John had been right. They were a sour, surly lot and they had hemmed and hawed and angled at undermining the war efforts and planting seeds of discord. She smiled and blinked at them blankly as if she wasn't getting their hints and talked about frivolous and silly things. Had they been to visit the horses? Did any of them paint? Were they reading any good books?

They finally got frustrated with her stupidity and she left smiling happily and finding Maisy to walk back to her room with her. John met her there in just a few moments.

"That was quite the ridiculous act," he said softly, ruffling Maisy's hair as she smiled up at him.

"John is going to be my husband someday!" Maisy told Alice excitedly.

"I told you Maze, I don't think I am good enough for the likes of you. My parents will have me married off to some old hag by the time I get home."

"Well if she is old, she will die by the time I am old enough to get married!"

"Then I will wait," he grinned at the girl. He turned back to Alice. "Did you see what I was saying?" he asked tensely, as if trying to feel her out and where her loyalties might lay.

"I did, you are right. I already knew they were not the sort I would like to associate with, but now I know for certain to avoid them. It's better for them to think me harmless though, than someone they need to plot against."

"Understandable. The others of us... we will be meeting later, after bedtime. We have a place where we can meet in private. I can escort you if you like?"

"Not tonight, I have to be up early. When is the next meeting?"

"Four days. Every four days unless something happens. Something did happen today by the way, I think Hannah knows what. She has... a source." He was blushing again and Alice could guess what sort of source Hannah had.

"I heard some grooms talking in the stables, I think she is right. Something happened. Maybe you can fill me in tomorrow night?"

"Of course," he answered with a minimal bow. She wondered who he was then, where he was from. She did not ask though, as she bid them both goodnight and went to her own room. She fell asleep thinking about Hunter and his beautiful eyes and kissable lips.

Her butterflies were worse the next morning as she hurried down to the stables, hoping she wasn't late. Or early. She hurried in, then paused as he turned to her and grinned. "You look lovely," he said, turning his full attention to her.

"Thank you," she offered, feeling her face heat.

He led the horses out to the mounting block and held her hand as she mounted, then vaulted onto his own horse. She was normally a great rider, but this morning she was so nervous and she watched him more than she watched what she was doing. She made a poor showing of herself and she was getting more and more flustered as the morning wore on.

Finally he reigned in, grinning at her. "Let's walk a bit, give them a break. There's a stream up here and we can sit and have a dinner I packed for us."

"You did?" she asked, delighted. "That sounds wonderful!"

She sat close to him on a downed log and watched the creek trickle by as they ate fresh, dark, nutty bread and cheese. He handed her his water skin, then smiled happily when she drank from it without comment.

"I've not dealt with many Ladies like you. Let alone Princesses."

"You deal with so many?"

"Sure. Ladies ride in carriages, ride horses, all that. They are usually bossy and condescending, or else they pretend grooms and servants don't exist at all. Not you. You are refreshing. And you rode out here alone, with a groom, not caring at all. You are extraordinary."

Alice turned red to her ears as she looked down at her bread.

"And you like animals... and animals like you. Animals can judge people, they know the good ones. You are a good one. I like that too. Also, it helps that you are quite beautiful, especially when you blush and get so nervous around me. As if I am important enough for you to be unnerved by me. I heard you didn't bat an eyelash when you were presented to the king... but you cannot look at me without blushing."

"You asked about me?" she asked, trying to ignore his other comments, though she couldn't help the smile that crept to her lips. He thought she was beautiful?

"Of course I did. Who wouldn't? I think I'd like to kiss you, Ally. May I?"

Alice looked up at him, surprised and shocked at how forward he was being. But should she be? Commoners were not raised the same, they could kiss after just meeting someone. Couldn't they? She thought that might be true, it seemed likely. She realized she was just staring as he grinned at her and his eyes moved over her face.

"I will take that as a yes?" he said softly, leaning in and taking her face in his hands. He kissed her, a bare brush of his lips on hers, then kissed her again, lingering this time.

He moved back and let her go with a sigh. "You taste as wonderful as I had imagined," he said, stroking her cheek with his knuckles. "Ride out with me again in the morning?"

"I'd like that," she answered breathlessly. "But... don't you have to work?"

"Only in the afternoon and evening. My mornings are my own. Same time?"

"Yes," she agreed with a smile.

He leaned in and kissed her again before standing and helping her up as well.

She rode out with him every day for over a week, getting to know him, talking to him, telling him about herself and what Lonai was like. He kissed her every day at the creek and as the days went on, the kisses lingered more and more.

She also got to know more about John and his little group. When they met it was mostly to talk about the war and things that were happening to places that she didn't know about. She wasn't from here and she felt like an imposter sitting and listening. All she could offer was the bits of gossip she heard in the kennels in the afternoons or from the servants.

She told no one about her and Hunter. She wasn't ashamed, she just didn't want to talk to anyone about him. The only person she told was Leona and they sat up talking and giggling until late every night.

More days passed and she was happy. Hunter was always a gentleman, always sweet and he loved to make her laugh. Their kisses turned to more in the second week as he gently laid her back on the blanket he had brought and gently pushed her mouth open with his and toyed with her tongue with his own.

It was thrilling and wonderful, even if it seemed like it was too much to do with someone she was not even engaged to.

The third week, he held her in his arms as she laid on his shoulder and they watched the clouds through the treetops. He was so warm and comfortable and she felt safe in his arms.

The fourth week, he rolled over the top of her and looked down at her pensively. "Ally?" he asked softly. "Are you happy?"

"Blissfully!"

"I... I am in love with you. I love you Alice."

Her heart swelled and she felt exultant. "I love you too Hunter!" she answered, tears springing to her eyes.

He smiled beautifully and wiped her tears away. "Marry me," he whispered, almost fearfully.

She smiled and half giggled, biting her lip. Was this really happening?!? "Of course," she whispered back, then he kissed her as tears sprang to his eyes.

When he took her out riding a few days later, he only took her as far as the treeline, then helped her down and stood looking back at the castle. "I wanted to talk to you this morning, not ride too far or too long. We can't talk much while we ride." He looked half afraid, then finally turned to her. "You truly love me?"

"Yes Hunter. I truly do."

"I told you, that first day that my friends call me Hunter. It was sort of a joke, because I love to hunt. I was always leaving to hunt, even when I should have been doing something else. My name is Ben."

"Ben. I like it, it suits you."

"Benjamin."

"I assumed it was short for that," she said smiling uncertainly. He was saying it like it should mean something to her.

"You said yes to me, to a groom. You love a groom. What if I was never a groom, you just assumed I was?"

Her smile slipped slightly, then she shook her head. "It wouldn't matter. I fell in love with you, not your job?"

"You still do not understand..." he said, sounding confused.

"Don't understand? Who are you Ben? Are you a spy of some sort?"

"No," he laughed. "I am Benjamin Javelier. Prince Benjamin Javelier."

Alice paled and took a step back. "THE Prince? Here? In that castle? King Rolfs youngest son?!?"

"Yes..."

"I... how did I not know that?" she asked, her mind racing. Then she remembered. Avery had never said his name, she'd never heard him talked about because he wasn't involved in the war. She had heard that he was off hunting, but she hadn't made the connection.

"It's not like we met in a normal way... and it's not like you looked at me that day in the throne room, looking at my father as if you would skewer him to the wall. You were adorable."

"You were there?"

"Of course I was."

"So you let me think this whole time..."

"I did," he said softly. "And I am glad I did. You are... pure. You fell in love with me, a man you thought was a groom. Not a prince, not someone who would better your station or give you some advantage. Just me, the man without a title. You cannot know what that is worth to me. Does it change how you feel?"

"I... no. No, it doesn't... but I still feel lied to and tricked."

"I'm sorry my love, please don't be too upset. You understand why I let you think that for so long though, right?"

"I do... but it was never needed with me! I wouldn't have cared!"

"I know, and that is one of the reasons I adore you. Come here," he said, pulling her down to sit with him on the grass. He pulled her close and kissed the top of her head. "I need... I need to ask you again. Alice Amelia Allewell, will you be my wife? Will you be my wife and stay here in Lucana with me as my wife, a Princess to this land?"

"Yes, Benjamin Javelier. I will be your wife," she answered in a whisper, still in shock.

A Prince. THE Prince.

Her Prince.

Not a groom, but he did love animals as much as she did. That made a whole new thrill wash over her. He was like her. She smiled and looked up at him and he grinned and kissed her. He pushed her to the ground and kissed her passionately, holding her face in his hand and nuzzling her jaw as he whispered to her. "I cannot wait to make you mine, my sweet little Alice. I want children, at least three! And at least one girl as beautiful as you. I will take you back to Lonai and meet your family, see where you come from and we will travel before we come back here to settle in. You will love it here, my love. I will make sure of it, I will see you blissfully happy for the rest of our days!"

They lay there all morning and into the afternoon, just holding each other and smiling and kissing.

Late afternoon, he sat up, turning to look back at the castle with a frown. "Do you hear that?"

She sat up and canted her head, listening. "Is that...? Screaming?" she asked.

"Stay here Alice!" he said, jumping up and vaulting onto his horse. "Stay right here, swear it! Stay here until I come and get you! Swear it!"

"I swear Ben! Please stay here with me! Don't go!"

"I will be fine my love, I will be back soon. Stay right here."

"Please be safe!" she called as he rode off, back to the castle as fast as his horse would carry him.

Alice watched fearfully until she could no longer see him, then she watched until her eyes began burning. As darkness began to fall, she could see smoke rising in the city in several places. The city was burning.

She grabbed up Milly's reins, then paused. She had sworn. Tears fell as she watched night fall and fire and smoke lit up the horizon over Lucana.

It was well past midnight when the fires died down enough that they stopped putting off so much light and in under an hour, she heard hoofbeats. She was terrified. Was it Ben? The enemy? What had happened? There was a battle, but who had won?

"Alice! Alice Allewell!"

She knew that voice. "Captain Avery?" she called.

"There you are, girl. You have a horse?"

"Yes! What has happened? Is Ben alright?"

"Hurry girl, we don't have all night, anyone could be out here now the way they scattered! Get on and ride!"

Alice hurried, following Captain Avery back with fear clawing at her throat the whole way. They made it to the courtyard without incident, but she was still terrified.

"Get to the ward wing!" Captain Avery shouted, then started to go the other way.

"Wait! Where is Ben? Why didn't he come?"

"I don't know, it was Hav who sent me after you. Get inside!"

Alice hurried inside and up to the ward wing. There were soldiers in the common room along with all of the wards. When she tried to go to her room, she was stopped by a guard. "You have to stay out here, miss," the young guard said.

Alice went to sit with John and Hannah and the others, trembling and unable to stop the tears that were still falling.

"Where were you?" John asked, leaning close to her.

"Were you out there?" Hassel asked.

"I was... I was riding out in the forest until Captain Avery found me. What happened? No one will tell me anything!"

"They attacked Lucana. Got passed the line and threw everything at the city with Lucana soldiers right behind, riding them down hard. It had to be some last ditch effort. They died almost to a man. Some few are still hiding, but they hardly managed to get past the city gates and set a bunch of fires before they were all cut down, pressed up against one of the gates," Hannah answered.

"Why can't we leave?" she asked fretfully, wanting to go check on Ben.

"They want us here until this is all sorted."

A huge man thundered into the room, his hair wild, his hands and face bloody. He looked furious and everyone in the room stood. Alice stood slowly, peeking around John.

"Which one of you cunt's is Alice Allewell?" he demanded in a loud booming voice.

Alice flinched and John moved in front of her as if to protect her from the giant.

"Her," Olivia said haughtily, pointing at Alice.

"Come here girl, now!" he demanded.

"Why do you want her?" John asked, catching Alice's arm as she started to go to the man fearfully.

"What business is that of yours, maggot?" the man sneered. "Let her go before I snap your scrawny little neck."

Alice pulled away when John stood up straighter, offended. She didn't want anyone hurt in her stead. She paused in front of the wild looking man, shaking as she looked up at him fearfully. "I am Alice Allewell. What do you want?" She was trying to be brave, but her voice cracked.

He made a disgusted face as he looked down at her. "You?!? Ugh. How old are you?" he demanded.

"Nineteen in two weeks."

"You don't fucking look it. Come on," he demanded, grabbing her arm and dragging her away.

She looked at the guards in a panic, but they ignored her as if she and the man did not exist at all. "Let go!" she yelled, trying to dig her feet in. He jerked her off her feet and tucked her under a massive arm. "Let me GO!" she screamed. "Who are you?"

He snorted. "You don't know your fucking Prince when you see him, cunt? How long have you been here?"

"You? You are Ben's brother?"

"I was," he said angrily. "Not any fucking more. He died in my arms and all..."

"Noooo! No pleeeease! You are lying! You are lying! He isn't dead!"

"Shut it up cunt, I just lost my brother and he didn't even say goodbye to me. Just made me swear to find you and take care of you and fucking marry you."

"What? No! NO! I won't! I can't! Please! Let me GO! I want to see him! I want to see Ben! You are LYING!"

"I'll gag you if you go off again! He died in my fucking arms and all he would talk about was you. Made me vow to take care of you and fucking marry you and I will. I swore to him as he died and I will have no arguments from some little cunt."

He opened a door and walked in, slamming it behind him before dropping her on the ground. She scrambled to the door and he caught her by the hair before she made it two feet.

"I'll skin your fucking feet if you try to run again, bitch. It's bad enough I have to marry something as horrifyingly awful as you, you think I will put up with your shit too? You are fucking wrong. You make me break my word to my brothers dying wish, I will see you suffer for it. Fucked up part was he was so god damned out of it and delirious, I don't think he knew what he was asking, but he did ask. He begged. Made me swear. If he loved you he wouldn't have made me swear to marry you, just take care of you. But I swore, so I will fucking wed you and bed you, but don't expect anything else from me. Nothing."

Alice dropped to the floor bonelessly and let out a keening wail. Ben. Her Ben. She lay there sobbing in her arms while he changed his clothes and cleaned up, watching her warily.

"Get up," he snapped. When she didn't move, he bent and pulled her up, but she was limp in his hand. He dragged her to his bedroom and shoved her onto the fainting couch. He tossed a blanket on her and locked the door before getting into bed himself.

Sleep was a long time coming for both of them.

He woke her early the next morning, her eyes and lips still swollen from crying. "I sent for your servant, she is bringing a dress for you to change into. We are getting this mess out of the way so I can go back to where I should be instead of coddling a spoiled little Princess who conned my brother into a wedding. Get up!" he demanded again when she didn't move. He had to jerk her to a standing position and she stood there numbly, swaying, her eyes distant. "Enough of the simpering and delicate act. Get yourself cleaned up, I refuse to wait another minute for you. Go!" he demanded, shoving her roughly towards the bathing chamber.