All That Remains Bk. 01 - "Awake"

Story Info
After the fall of mankind one man's sex life gets a boost.
14.3k words
4.68
9.5k
27
8

Part 1 of the 2 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 04/03/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

All that remains.

Author's note.

I started writing this a couple of years ago, occasionally dipping in and editing.

I had no idea what was to happen when I started the story and have made sure I kept away from real events.

Book 1. Awake.

I awoke feeling cold.

The house was freezing and deathly quiet.

Why was I on the couch?

I felt so weak, every joint ached and my head felt like it was full of lead that was being hammered by a thousand metal workers.

Then I started to remember, the Flu!

I had come downstairs to make a phone call to report something.

My wife!, I had phoned to report her death, but what had they said?

And more importantly how long had I slept?

I looked at my watch for long, long seconds. It was wrong, it had to be wrong!

I had tried to make the call on September the 9th and it was now September 13th, 4 days later!

Had I really slept for 4 days?

I struggled to my feet and checked the heating but there was no power.

Shuffling into the kitchen I was greeted by a large puddle of water from the defrosting freezer, the power must've been off for a couple of days so maybe I had slept for 4 days!

I fished my mobile phone out of my pocket, turned it on and tried the emergency service but nothing happened 'No Service" was on the screen.

Moving around was easing the pain in my joints but my head still throbbed.

Memory then flooded back, A flu pandemic had been raging and most of the worlds governments had declared a national emergency telling people to stay at home. The death toll in the UK was over eleven million in the first week alone, UK TV news had proclaimed that the true figure had been withheld by the government after which very little news about the figures had been released.

The last thing I could recall was the morning Liz died. I had felt ill but had struggled to the land line phone to report it but the lines were busy, then nothing until this morning.

I cleaned myself up with wet wipes and shaved using a battery powered razor.

I was starving so I devoured a tin of cold baked beans and a box of cheese flavoured crackers along with a litre bottle of water. As I sat thinking about what to do next, I realised that the only sound I could hear was bird song, no vehicle sounds or children's voices from the nearby school. Grabbing the kitchen radio I turned it on.

The quiet hiss of static!

I slowly spun the tuning dial and there was nothing, I tried DAB, am, fm and short wave all the same, nothing but static.

I ventured out the backdoor and listened. Other than birdsong there was no sound at all, the trees moving gently in the breeze was the only movement.

For one second I had the horrible feeling that I could be the last person alive.

In the distance a dog began barking, others soon joined in but no voice rang out to quiet them.

I then spotted plumes of smoke from several places that ruined an almost perfectly clear blue sky and the faint sickly smell of death tainted the air.

I had to get out of the town. If the majority of it's inhabitants were dead there would be other diseases raging soon.

My daughters!

If I was immune to this flu perhaps they were. Natalie my youngest daughter was a nurse and my eldest daughter, Amy, was a midwife. I grabbed my car keys to check it out, thankfully it started first time. I packed some clothes and all the tinned food and bottled water I could find after which I stood by my car and looked at the house that had been our home for over 30 years.

I dearly wanted to bury Liz, it felt like the decent thing to do but I knew I didn't have the strength but I couldn't leave her the way she was. After much deliberation I decided that my only recourse was to set fire to the house and give her some form of cremation.

A little while later I drove away towards my daughters leaving the burning house for the last time.

The roads were scattered with abandoned cars, some had crashed as their drivers had succumbed to the illness, many more sat on driveways as If patiently waiting for the next commute or school run.

Houses stood with doors and windows open but the majority had large red crosses on them, obviously the authorities had sent people around to count the dead.

On the outskirts of town there were military vehicles parked by a barrier. I slowed down and hit the cars horn, maybe there was somebody still alive?

Nothing, no movement at all.

As I got out to lift the barrier I noticed that one of the Land Rovers contained two bodies but the other Land Rover and a large truck thankfully were unoccupied.

I decided to check them out in the hope there could be rations and some useful equipment.

The truck was full of coffins, perhaps that would explain the red crosses in the town, but one Land Rover had a small gas stove, a large box of rations and a radio. I flicked the radio on but it was dead. Looking into the cab I noticed a automatic pistol and some ammo by the passenger seat which I grabbed on my second trip back to my car, I hadn't fired a gun in decades but I felt better knowing I had it.

I tentatively opened the second Land Rover, quickly looked inside but shut the door just as quickly.

Back at my car I looked through the box of rations which contained some biscuits and some self heating cans of coffee, one of which I drank with relish before I decided to set off again.

After an hour of driving I realised it was beginning to get dark. Should I continue or would it be better to wait until morning?

While I pondered the question a huge yawn escaped me, decision made!

Sleeping in the car would be uncomfortable but the option of driving slowly in the dark seemed unwise so I pulled over and switched the car off and got in the backseat.

I must have fallen asleep within minutes because the next thing I knew the dawn chorus was in full swing.

Opening the door was like turning the volume up to maximum! It was as if every bird was singing full blast. Maybe they were celebrating the demise of mankind, it certainly sounded like they were!

I found a bush to relive myself then as I walked back to the car I began to laugh, I had instinctively locked it!

Who was going to steal it?

The laugh began to take hold of me until it built up to hysterical proportions that I eventually got under control.

After eating and drinking the last of the coffee I set off slowly and the journey was uneventful until I reached the outskirts of Rugby where a makeshift barricade had been built across the main road. This had been knocked down in several places and signs of a struggle were evident, bodies, some of them in military uniforms littered the area. All of them had been shot, on one side of the road there was a crater that must have been caused by a mortar.

I had to move several of the bodies to get through, a grizzly but necessary task.

Had civilisation broken down so quickly?

I drove slowly through the outskirts of the town taking lots of detours around blocked streets that seemed to take hours until finally I could see my destination.

To my dismay most of the houses on the street were ablaze.

My daughters mid terrace house was gutted, the roof had collapsed inward leaving nothing but a smoking shell.

The whole family must have died, her husband and both my granddaughters.

I sat for what seemed like hours thinking, I had no idea what to do next, then I decided to try to get to my other daughters home. Amy lived in a village called Quainton. This would take me about an hour to get to in normal conditions but could take a lot longer now.

My mind made up I then noticed movement to my right, I reached for the gun and in one quick movement pushed the car door open and pointed the pistol.

"Please don't shoot me!" It was a young woman, she was filthy, dirt was smeared on her face, her clothes were ragged.

"Ok I'm sorry!" I lowered the gun and slowly got out of the car looking around in case someone else was sneaking up on me.

She moved towards me with her hands stretched high above her head.

"I thought I was the only one left!" She stopped about 10 feet from me.

"I'm as surprised as you" I replied "I haven't seen anyone' I finished looking for anyone creeping up on me "its ok you can put your hands down now."

She slowly lowered her hands then looked closely at me.

"I know you!" She scrutinised my face "you're Nats dad!."

I looked closely at her.

"Oh my God Gemma?" I hardly recognised her because she was so dirty.

Before I knew what was happening she closed the space between us and threw her arms around me, I had no choice but to put my arms around her, she instantly burst into tears.

"I thought I would never see another living soul, I thought the whole world was dead, Oh god I'm so glad it's you."

She sobbed.

"I thought the same, it's okay, It's okay I've got you." I hugged her.

Just then I spotted a large dog running along the road towards us. It was joined by another then more came into view. The lead dog started to bark in a most unfriendly way, I doubted these dogs wanted to play fetch so I lifted the gun pointed it at them and squeezed the trigger but I had left the safety catch on!

"Quick get in the car." I said to her.

She did as I said, jumping into the back passenger seat and as we closed the car doors the lead dog bounced off the drivers door with a resounding bang. The car was soon surrounded by snarling, barking dogs jumping at the windows. One of them fell yelping and was attacked by some of the others and the pack soon started tearing into it and each other, I started the car and pulled away.

"Its going to get dark soon." Gemma said.

"I know. We need to find shelter for the night." I replied.

"Go straight on here then go right up the hill" she pointed "I was making my way to where I work, sorry worked, I have the key."

"Why on earth do you want to go there?" I asked.

"It has its own filtered water supply and power" she pointed over my shoulder again "third on the left then left again its at the top of the hill."

I did as I was told and in a few minutes we pulled up in front of an industrial unit.

"It has solar panels on the roof, large capacity storage batteries and a hydrogen fuel cell." She said.

Entering the building I was amazed to see a bungalow inside.

"It's a demonstration house. The company were trying out new technologies for industry and housing. They hoped to show what could be done for new house building and sustainability" she turned to me "do you want to bring the car inside?"

"Good idea." We opened the roller door and I drove in.

There was room for at least 3 more cars. After I got out I opened the back of the car and grabbed a bottle of water.

"I'm starving, do you have anything to eat?" she asked peering into the car.

I grabbed the food and rations and followed her upstairs into the small staff canteen which was equipped with an electric cooker and microwave. Between us we cobbled together a hot meal and drinks.

"I need a shower." Gemma sighed afterwards.

"I have soap and shampoo in the car." I said standing up to get them.

"Don't go without me." She jumped up from her chair and virtually ran after me.

"I'm only going downstairs!"

"I know but I don't want to be alone" She grabbed my hand "I'm worried this could be a dream or you may disappear or run off!"

"Why would I abandon you?" I asked but she just shrugged.

We went to the car and grabbed the bag of toiletries. Gemma headed towards the bungalow.

"Shower is in here." She said.

It seemed surreal, the place was fully furnished almost as if the occupiers had just walked out. We walked through to a bedroom with ensuite.

"Ladies first, I'll wait out here."

"Please Mr. Burt sit in the bathroom with me?" She looked terrified.

"Ok Gemma, but only if you call me Eric." I said.

"Ok Eric."

I followed her into the bathroom which had a shower over the bathtub surrounded by blue curtains.

As she stripped off her filthy and torn clothes I turned my back to her until the shower started then I sat on the toilet seat holding the towels.

"Oh this is heaven!" She said.

"You should make the most of it, hot showers will be a luxury from now on." I replied.

She remained silent and I presumed she was wasting herself.

"Can I ask a favour Eric?"

"Anything you like." I replied.

"Can you see if my back is dirty?"

Without even thinking I stood by the shower curtain.

"Okay let me know when you're ready."

"Okay, I'm ready." She sounded almost happy.

I pulled the curtain aside a little and I was looking at her back and buttocks.

"Do you want me be honest?" I asked

"Yes."

"Okay, you are filthy Gemma" I replied "why have you been cleaning chimneys?"

She laughed at my comment, then with out a word she passed the soap over her shoulder and I started washing her back. Having to lean over the bath tub was not easy.

"This is killing my back, would it be okay if I get in with you?" I asked.

What the hell was I thinking! I was old enough to be her father.

"Yes Please." She said happily.

I stripped off and joined her.

"Wet your back then turn around." I told her.

She turned towards me to let the water play on her back. She had bruises on her stomach, legs and arms. Her left breast was almost black. I gently grabbed her left wrist and looked at her arm which was almost black.

"How did you get these?" I looked into her eyes.

"Some of them are recent but a lot were from my boyfriend." We continued to stare into each other's eyes.

"I don't know what to say, other than things like this make me angry."

She dropped her head, looking at her feet.

"Please don't be angry." She quietly said.

"It's to late for any anger isn't it?" She nodded "Turn around, and let me know if I hurt you."

"I will" she mumbled.

She did as instructed and I soaped my hands then started gently washing her shoulders, I pulled her long dark hair to one side and washed her neck then began to work my way down her back. As I reached her bum cheeks I couldn't help but admire how small her ass was which I thoroughly enjoyed washing.

"Okay, turn around and wash the soap off, then let me see if you need more cleaning."

Without a word she did as I asked. Again she looked down.

"Okay." I said making a twisting motion with my hand.

I glanced down at myself and realised that my penis was standing erect.

"Just your lower back and legs to do. But I can't tell the dirt from the bruises." I told her.

"I understand and thank you." She said over her shoulder.

Mankind lay dead and I was naked in a shower washing the back of a young woman whilst sporting a raging erection, what would people think, I chuckled.

I stooped down to wash her legs with her ass inches from my face. Even after washing her back her legs were filthy.

"Can you open your legs a little, they are still mucky." I said.

As she did so I started at the top of her right leg, my hand accidentally brushed close to her vagina and she let out a quiet gasp. I continued down her leg before starting on her left leg. Again my hand brushed against her and I could feel the heat from her. This time she hissed.

"Sorry Gemma, that was an accident" I finished off her legs. "ok turn around again and lets see if your clean."

She did as I told her and my face was suddenly inches away from her pussy.

"Ok" I said standing up "Shampoo please, then turn around."

After she passed the bottle to me I washed her hair in silence.

"Lovely, your nice and clean" I said "do you want me to get out now?"

"No, please stay. I'll wash you now." she turned around and looked at my erection.

I looked down as well.

"I'm sorry Gemma, I can't help that."

She looked up and smiled at me.

"You don't have to be sorry, it's only natural. It's your turn now."

I moved around her to get under the stream of water, my cock brushed against her and I stifled a groan. I let the water play over my body then turned around and let my back get wet before turning again. I felt her hands on my shoulders and couldn't stop myself shuddering.

"Are you ok?" She asked.

"Oh yes, it's just that it's so nice."

Her hands were slowly and gently moving down my back. When she reached my ass she seemed to take longer.

"Turn around."

I did as she asked.

The feeling of her hands working down my body was so relaxing that I closed my eyes until she put both hands around my cock gently cleaning.

"Is that okay?" She whispered.

"The sprit is more than willing, but I don't think I have the strength yet."

She silently smiled at me.

"I understand, I think we are both clean." She said.

We got out and wrapped ourselves in the towels. Gemma headed into the bedroom and I followed. She headed for the large bed and I looked towards the smaller room.

"Please sleep in this bed with me Eric."

"Are you sure?" I asked.

"Yes I don't think I can sleep alone."

I nodded thinking that sleep was the last thing on my mind. I pulled the towel off to dry my hair. As soon as I finished I sat on the bed.

"Are all the doors locked?" I asked

"Oh! I suppose we should make sure." She got off the bed naked and went to the bed room door.

I followed her out of the bungalow with the towel around my shoulders. We made sure the back fire exit door was locked first and made our way to the front of the building, thankfully the walkways inside the unit were of a cushion floor material that was soft on the feet and the buildings heating was keeping the unit warm.

As we walked I was enjoying following her watching her arse dance as I followed her. All the doors were locked but as we passed the stairs to the offices and canteen I spotted a red glow.

"Gemma, wait." I slowly made my way up the stairs to the little canteen,Gemma close behind me.

Through its large single window it looked as if the whole horizon was on fire. I stood looking out across the rooftops of the other industrial units and felt Gemma's hand slip into mine.

"My God Eric, what is it?"

"I'm not sure but I think it could be Coventry." I guessed.

She released my hand and knelt on a plush leather seat resting her arms on the back.

"It's strangely beautiful." She murmured.

I knelt behind her. I did this without thought. It felt natural, comforting almost normal.

"It is, but frightening as well." I whispered.

We stayed as we were watching the glowing horizon. My thigh was against her ass and my still erect penis was against her side. My right hand was supporting me and I had unconsciously put my left arm around her shoulders. In silence we watched the remnants of civilisation burn.

Gemma shifted her position until she was directly in front of me, both her legs were now either side of mine so I put both my arms around her.

"This is nice." I said.

"Mmmmm."

"Let me know if I'm hurting you, I don't want to make those bruises worse."

"Eric, you are so gentle I don't think you would ever hurt anyone."

I was so touched that I leaned down and kissed her shoulder making her gasp so I pulled her hair aside and kissed her from below her ear to her shoulder. As I finished kissing she pushed back and my penis slid between her ass cheeks and she rubbed against me.

"Are you sure you want this, you know how old I am?" I whispered.

"Yes I do" she murmured "please don't stop."

I started kissing her again.

"Andrew was never this gentle."

I felt a wave of pity wash over me, I moved from the right side of her neck to the left and pulled her hair away again to kiss that side. Gemma pushed her hips forward and I felt her hand around my cock, then with one small movement I was inside her. She moved her hips and pushed back, she was so wet that I slid fully inside her in one movement, then she started to rock gently.