Always Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Well, why don't you and Miss Maria go sit back down and watch some TV while Hunter and I clean up and if you feel like it afterward, we can play some cards or something," Raph offered.

"I hate to make you guys cook and clean," Riley protested.

"Hey, it's still spa day," Hunter quipped.

"That is it. It's y'all's day to be pampered," Raph added.

"You're not getting any argument out of me," Maria giggled as she and Riley got up and headed back to the living room.

By the time Raph and Hunter finished cleaning up, Riley and Maria were both fast asleep on the love seat, again, leaning into one another, shoulders, and heads resting against each other.

Raph grabbed two bottles of water and motioned with his head for Hunter to follow as he eased open the sliding door to the small patio. Raph handed Hunter a bottle as they sat in the patio chairs, both kicking their booted feet up on the small metal patio table.

"Hard to beat a day like today," Raph said, sipping his water slowly. "Good fishing, good food, good friends, good times."

"Yeah, it's hard to believe a year ago I would have spent today locked in my room playing video games until the wee hours of the morning," Hunter said.

"I know the feeling; well sort of. Before Riley, I spent all my free time at the airport. If I wasn't flying I was tinkering around with the planes. I'm not certified to make any major repairs, but I liked just doing little stuff. I realized later, after Riley, that I was just trying to give myself a reason to not just sit here in the apartment, staring at the walls."

Hunter and Raph talked on for two more hours, long after the sun had set before Hunter announced he'd best be getting Maria home. They went in and gently woke the girls, who apologized for falling asleep.

Raph and Riley walked Hunter and Maria to the door and saw them out. Raph walked Riley straight to the bed, and while she was undressing, he got her favorite sleeping shirt, which was his Beechcraft Baron tee-shirt. He pulled the shirt over her head and settled it down around her as she stood with her arms lifted. When the shirt cleared her chin, he softly kissed her perfect lips, not too passionately as he knew tonight sleep was what she craved, and he was okay with that. He pulled back the covers as she climbed in. He went back and turned off all the lights, checked the front and sliding doors, and returned to the bedroom where Riley was already fast asleep. He could have stood there and looked at her sleeping form for hours and never tired of it -- or he could get undressed and get in the bed with her. He went with the later.

*****

Raph was cruising at 43,000 on his first passenger flight in the CJ3. Dan Simmons was his co-pilot. He was the senior pilot for Charter Air but was nearing the downhill side of his professional piloting career. It was he who had suggested Raph for the captain's training on the new jet, opting for the co-pilot's training for himself.

Their current flight was to Atlanta, Georgia, an 865-mile flight with a 2:15 flight time. They had six passengers on board, all business types. The flight had been going smoothly but thunderstorms were gathering directly around the Atlanta International Airport. Raph continued to review systems and procedures in his head. He and Dan prepped the expected approach into the flight management system. It was different, flying single pilot and flying with a co-pilot. When flying single pilot, the pilot is responsible for everything. In the pilot/co-pilot scenario, the pilot yields some of that control to the co-pilot and even though the pilot and co-pilot cross-check and verify, it was still strange for Raph not be in complete control.

As they began their descent the air became more turbulent, but the sleek jet handled it well. Raph and Dan worked well together with Dan talking to ATC and updating the PFD or primary flight display and the MFD or multi-function display of the G1000 flight system. Raph handled the physical flying of the airplane, mostly via the auto-pilot system which he programmed for altitude and heading until the system became locked on the ILS localizer and glideslope. With the wind out of the northeast, they were assigned runway 8L for landing. The runway was still hidden by low cloud cover at 5 miles from the runway threshold. The current approach allowed them to descend to 213 feet AGL, above ground level. If at that altitude they could see the runway, they were allowed to land, if they couldn't definitively see the runway at that altitude, they were required to execute a missed approach procedure, declaring the missed approach and climbing back into the sky.

At 300 feet AGL, they finally dropped below the cloud base and the runway came into sight. Raph punched off the auto-pilot and hand flew the remaining 300 feet, setting the airplane down on the runway smoothly before deploying the reverse thrusters, not wanting to depend on the wheel brakes on the wet runway. Once the plane slowed enough he exited the runway onto the taxiway, stopping once he passed the hold-short bars on the taxiway which officially cleared him from the runway, allowing for the next aircraft in the landing pattern to come in.

Dan had been handed off to the ground controller and had their taxi clearance to the designated FBO.

"Good job, kid," Dan said, nodding his head as though the landing under difficult circumstances was validation of his decision to make Raph the Captain of the CJ3.

"Thank you, Sir," Raph said, keeping his eyes looking out the windscreen. Atlanta was a busy terminal so he was careful not to put himself in a position to get himself in trouble with any other aircraft.

Turning into the FBO, Raph spotted the ramp marshal waving with his lighted wands. Raph eased the jet into position as the marshal held the wands high, straight up, slowly bringing them together, forming an X, Raph's signal to stop. Raph and Dan went through the shutdown checklists before deplaning the passengers.

Raph and Dan went inside the FBO and arranged for the CJ3 to be placed in the overnight hangar since they wouldn't be returning until the next day. Once that was done, they took a taxi to their hotel. As soon as they got in their taxi, Raph removed his phone from his pocket.

Raph: Hey you.

Riley: Hey you, good trip?

Raph: Not bad. A little weather around the airport as we came in but nothing the CJ3 and Dan couldn't handle.

Riley: Yeah, Dan, and you were just over there taking a nap I suppose.

Raph: Well, he wouldn't let me sleep, so I was reading a Southern Outdoors Magazine.

Riley: Keep it up, Cowboy. I know you better than that. I'm glad you made it safely.

Raph: So what are your plans for tonight?

Riley: I thought I'd cook supper for Dad and do some things around the house.

Raph: I'm sure Steve will enjoy that. I'm glad y'all are getting some time together.

Riley: Yeah, I think it'll be nice. It's been a while since he and I just hung out. I may see if I can get him to go riding with me tomorrow.

Raph: I bet he'll jump at the chance.

Riley: So what's on your agenda tonight?

Raph: First off, seeing if they sell earplugs in the hotel cantina.

Riley: Earplugs?

Raph: Yeah, this isn't the first time Dan and I have bunked together. He snores like a log truck. Even worse than you. (smiley emoji)

Riley: I snore?

Raph: No, but you do sometimes talk in your sleep.

Riley: About what?

Raph: Just how much you love me, how awesome I am, how cute my butt is. Little things like that.

Riley: Well, that's all true so I can't say your lying.

Raph: It looks like we're at the hotel. I'll let you know once we're all settled in for the night. Love you, Babe.

Riley: OK, love you too.

*****

Riley was just finishing cooking herb encrusted chicken breasts. She'd already prepared some steamed vegetables and white rice. She made two plates and sat them on the table before walking to her father's study and knocking on the door.

"Come in," he called from within.

Riley opened the doors and stepped inside.

"Supper's ready," she said.

"Okay, I'll come down and fix a plate in just a minute," he said, pulling his reading glasses back down onto his nose.

"Your plate's already made and waiting beside mine at the dining table," Riley said sweetly.

Steve Barrett pulled his glasses off and looked at her and smiled.

"You want to sit down to dinner with the old man?" he asked.

"I most certainly do," she replied.

"Well, who could pass up an offer like that," he said, getting up from his desk.

Riley took his arm and walked with him down the stairs and back to the dining room.

"This looks good," Steve said, sitting down at the head of the table.

"Thank you, I just hope it tastes good too. I tried a recipe I found online," she admitted.

Steve cut a generous portion of the chicken and put it in his mouth.

"Mmm, cooked just right and well seasoned. It's excellent," he praised. "So what's the occasion?"

"No occasion. It's just been a while since you and I have had the chance to sit down and eat a family dinner," she said simply.

"It has been a while," he agreed. "I miss it, but I haven't wanted to say anything because I can see the writing on the wall."

"Oh, what writing is that?"

"It won't be long before you, or Raph, come and tell me you two are getting married and you'll be moving out -- for good," he said in his blunt and honest way.

"Oh, Daddy," she said, reaching her hand over and putting it on his still muscular forearm, "that is not a conversation that we've ever had."

"You may not have had the conversation, but if that boy isn't making plans, he isn't half the man I believe him to be," Steve said before taking another bite of chicken.

Riley sat, quietly thinking. Was Raph planning? Was she? Of course, she'd thought about it. A woman had to think of her future and she knew her future included Raph, but she hadn't allowed herself to think of wedding dresses or venues, she hadn't practiced writing 'Riley Savage' in a notebook.

"Well, even if someday I were to get married it's not like we'd never get to eat a family dinner together again," she finally said.

"Honey, you have fussed over me for years now. Taking care of me, making sure I eat right, making me exercise, and hanging around this old house with me when you should have been out with your friends. It's time now for you to think about Riley. I know you are afraid to leave me alone because you think I'll be sad and alone. Seeing you happy, especially since you and Raph have been together, has given me 20 more years of life. Seeing you rejuvenated has rejuvenated me as well. This is the way of the world, it's time for you to start thinking about your life."

"I know, and I do, but I also worry about you too."

"I'm going to be here for many years to come, Honey, I will see grandsons, or granddaughters riding horses and playing in the fields," he said, as a foregone conclusion.

"Hey, getting a little ahead of yourself aren't you," she laughed nervously.

"Well, maybe a little but your children are going to be absolutely something," he said, smiling warmly at her.

"Is it weird that you've thought more about my kids than I have?" she asked, somewhat worriedly.

"No, Honey, it's not. You're young and in love and right now you and Raph are all you can think about. As your father, trust me, I want to know that you love him, and he loves you, but I'll skip how you two express that love, so I just look out a little further at the product of that love. You're going to be a wonderful mother."

Riley's eyes began to tear, "Thank you Dad, but what if I do what Mom did? I mean, did you think when you married her that she would ever do what she did?"

Steve's eyes flashed, only for a moment, to his hard raptor eyes, "You are not your mother," he said sternly before his eyes immediately became the soft again, like hers, "You're the very best of both of us. I have absolutely no worry whatsoever that you will be anything but the perfect mother. Now, let me help you clean up and we'll go sit down and just spend some time together."

"I'd like that," she said, smiling and wiping her eyes.

*****

Raph and Dan landed the CJ3 at Amarillo International at 12:32 pm, local time. They unloaded the first round-trip passengers for the new jet who were complementary of the flight and even shook Raph and Dan's hands.

After he finished with his paperwork he headed to his truck. Riley was planning on spending the day with her Dad, and for once he had somewhere to go that he didn't want her along. He swapped out of his Charter Air shirt for a non-logo button-up Wrangler shirt. He drove straight to the Westgate Mall, parked, and went inside. Once inside he went straight to the Zales Jewelry Store.

Raph knew what he wanted. He wanted Riley, now and forever. He'd given up on thinking he'd ever make enough or have enough to feel equal to her financially. He'd also decided it didn't matter. He wasn't going to wait around trying to close a gap that was never going to close. He didn't know what she was going to say or think but he could not live with himself if he didn't take the chance.

When he sold his parents home and property he had socked the money into an investment account, taking out only enough to pay off his used truck so that he could start debt-free. When he got to Amarillo he'd shopped around to find his apartment, making sure he didn't overpay, but still lived in a good section of town, equally close to work, shopping, and essentials. He'd also squirreled away his wages from flying because he'd planned to eventually buy a house. He would never buy a house without Riley's input, but an engagement ring was another story. He'd been looking online the night before in his hotel room. He'd found the style he wanted. He'd also borrowed a ring that he'd seen Riley wear on her left ring finger to make sure he got the size correct without tipping her off.

"May I help you, Sir?" a finely dressed woman behind the display case asked him.

"Yes ma'am, hopefully so," Raph smiled at her. "I'm looking for an engagement ring."

"Oh, do you have something in mind?" her eyes lit up, seeing a potentially large commission.

"Yes ma'am," he said, taking out his phone. He showed her a picture of the ring he was interested in. It was a 3-stone, 2-ct engagement ring with a matching 3-stone 1-ct wedding band that fit with the engagement ring.

"Oh, I love a man that knows what he wants," she smiled at him. "Do you know her ring size?"

Raph pulled the ring from his pocket and handed it to the salesperson. She slid it down a tapered bar and wrote the size down on a form along with the other pertinent information.

"Okay, Mr. Savage, I believe I have everything I need. It should be ready for pickup by the end of the week," she said, giving Raph a copy of the order form. He paid half of the $6000 price of the rings and exited the shop feeling elated and terrified.

*****

Raph drove, apprehensively, toward Riley's house. The apprehension was because he was driving there at the behest of Steve Barrett, not Riley who sat beside him in the truck. Steve had called him early this Saturday morning and the conversation, like most with Steve, was short.

"Hello," Raph had answered without looking at who was calling. He had answered quickly, hoping not to wake Riley who lay, still sleeping, beside him.

"Raph," he'd heard Steve's deep voice, "this is Steve."

"Yes sir," Raph said, leaning upon his elbow, now wide awake.

"Can you come out to the house this morning? Say 9:00."

Raph looked at the clock on the bedside table, it was 7:01 am, "Yes sir, I can be there at 9:00," Raph said, confused.

"Good, I'll see you then," Steve said before the connection clicked off.

Raph sat the phone back on the table and laid gently back down in the bed.

"Who was that?" Riley mumbled without opening her eyes.

"Your dad," he said simply.

"What did he want?"

"He wants me to be at y'alls house this morning at 9:00."

"What time is it?"

"7:00."

"Ugh, I guess we better start getting around," she said, but instead snuggled up closer to Raph.

He wrapped his arm around her, pulled her close, and kissed the top of her head, making her sigh contentedly as she slid her leg across his thighs. He could feel her bare breasts pressing into his side and could feel the tickle of her landing-strip-trimmed pubic hair against his hip. This contact combined with man's natural propensity for "morning wood" had him nearly fully erect. Riley's hand slid lightly down his stomach until it contacted his engorged member.

"Maybe we should take care of this and then get ready," she said softly, moving her head back to softly kiss the side of his neck.

"Probably a good idea," he said, a loving smile on his face as he lowered his lips to hers.

*****

Raph and Riley pulled into the driveway and Raph was wracking his brain to try and figure out why Steve had called him.

"And you have no idea why I've been summoned?" he asked Riley.

"Not a clue," she said. It was cute that even after all these months, Raph was still intimidated by her father. He was an imposing figure to be sure, but having grown up with him, she knew he was actually a big softie.

Raph parked and they went inside. They found Steve in his study. He had several photographs laid out on his desk that appeared to be aerial photos of some land.

"Raph," he said, looking up from the photos, "thanks for coming and sorry for the short notice. Something just popped in my head this morning and I wanted to work on it."

"Sure, no problem. What'cha got?" Raph asked, relieved that Steve didn't seem to be mad.

"These are some aerial photos that I had taken probably 15 years ago. They were of the ranch as it was at that time. I've decided I would like to make some new ones, not just of the ranch, but also the offices. I have the plane, Riley has the camera, all I need is a pilot. Are you up for it?" Steve asked.

"Well, Sir, it would be hard to get very good shots from a jet I would imagine. You would have to get high enough that the motion blur didn't affect the pictures, but then you lose a lot of the definition of the shot," Raph explained.

"I wasn't planning on using the jet," Steve said, "I have a Cessna 182 in the hangar here on the ranch, I was hoping to use that. Would that fly low and slow enough to take good pictures?"

"Oh, yes, of course," Raph said, having completely forgotten that Steve had a hangar, plane, and grass-strip runway here on the property. "Is the plane up-to-date on all its certifications?"

"Yes, I have two of my guys from the aviation department keep it regularly serviced and inspected. They fly it from time to time just to keep it exercised."

"Okay, sounds good. When would you want to do this?" Raph asked.

"Now," Steve said in his customary no-wasted-words way.

Raph looked at Riley who only smiled and shrugged her shoulders.

"Now's good for me," Raph smiled.

"I'll go grab my camera," Riley said, heading off to her room.

Steve pulled a map from beneath the pictures and outlined the limits of the ranch and also the office property. Raph jumped on the computer and brought up current weather conditions, TFRs, or temporary flight restrictions, for the area, and to make sure they wouldn't be getting into any controlled airspace. Since this would be a VFR flight he preferred to stay out of controlled airspace. Satisfied that the weather would be suitable they headed out to the ranch airstrip.

Once in the hangar, Raph did a thorough inspection of the immaculate Cessna 182. He checked all of the fluids and control surfaces. He checked the fuel level in the wing tanks and checked for water in the fuel. He also looked over the maintenance logs, finding them filled out concisely and often.