Always Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The large electric hangar door had been pulled up and Raph and Steve had pulled the Cessna out of the hangar onto the grass outside. Steve managed to fold his bulk up into the back seat while Riley sat in the right front seat and Raph in the left front.

Raph looked around as much as he could before calling out, "Clear Prop!" which was a warning to anyone around that he was about to start the engine. Even though there was nobody nearby, it was a safety measure, something that you train to do every time.

With the engine started, he checked the gauges for oil pressure, engine temps, and fuel flow. He waited until there was heat in the engine before checking the windsock for wind direction and speed. He selected a direction for takeoff and taxied to the end of the runway, stopping short to do his run-up and test the mags.

"Everybody ready?" he asked over the headset.

"Yep," Steve said.

"You bet," Riley smiled at him.

"OK, here we go," Raph said as he powered up and pulled onto the smooth grass strip. He eased in the power and released the brakes, holding back on the yoke to keep as much weight as possible off the nose wheel on the turf. At 60 knots they lifted clear and started a slow steady climb into the air.

Raph followed Steve's direction, keeping his eyes out for any other air traffic. Riley took pictures as Raph circled lazily, climbing 500 feet per circuit. When they had taken all of the pictures Steve wanted, Raph checked the surrounding airspace then set a course for the Barrett Oil offices. Once there, Raph resumed his right-hand bank, slowly circling the office property, drawing the curiosity of a couple of the corporate security guards who came out to watch the low, slowly circling aircraft.

"They're not going to shoot at us are they?" Raph joked on the headset.

"Hope not," Steve said simply.

After they were finished they circled back around and headed back to the ranch airstrip. He made a soft landing and taxied up to the hangar before shutting the engine down. They all climbed out and Steve and Raph pushed the airplane back into the hangar before closing the large door. Once Raph had secured the aircraft they locked up the hangar and climbed back in the side-by-side and headed back to the house.

Once back at the house, Riley offered to go and make lunch while the men chatted in Steve's study.

Raph made certain the door was closed before turning to Steve.

"Steve, I need to ask you something," Raph said.

"Sure, Son, what can I do for you?"

Raph took a deep breath, "Sir -- Steve, I'd like your blessing to ask Riley to marry me," he said, knowing Steve preferred plain straight talk.

Steve leaned back in his chair, his elbows on the armrests and his hands held up in front of him, fingertips touching.

"Have you talked to her about this yet?" he finally asked, his deep voice low and calm.

"No, Sir. I wanted to speak with you, let you know that I love your daughter more than life itself. This is not some snap decision, we're not in trouble and we're not in a family way. I just can't imagine the rest of my life without her. I've told you before and I reiterate now, my life's mission is Riley's happiness. I will spend every day loving her; making sure she knows she's loved."

"Where will you live?' Steve asked.

"I've got some money that I saved and the proceeds of the sale of my parent's place in Fort Stockton. I plan to buy a house. Riley will of course help with picking it out, but I will provide her with a real home before we get married, and of course, all of this depends on whether or not she accepts my proposal."

"Well, Raph, there are a couple of things. Number one, Riley is the only person Riley answers to. My blessing, while I appreciate your asking, is irrelevant. Number two, I appreciate you wanting to buy a house but I believe we need to talk a little further on that. I'm not trying to insinuate that you can't provide an adequate house for Riley but I would like to suggest you build a house, here on the ranch property. I'm not trying to keep Riley, or you, under my thumb, but certain security measures have already been put in place around this property. You and Riley can pick most anywhere you want from close by to the far side of the property. You can build whatever you like, it's up to the two of you."

"I will discuss that option with Riley, certainly, but I'm afraid I can't commit to that without her input," Raph said.

"Fair enough," Steve conceded.

"I do love her," he said quietly, "why else would someone like me think he has a chance to have a life with someone like Riley."

"Let me let you in on something, Raph," Steve said, leaning forward in his chair and resting his forearms on the desk, "You are cosmically lucky to be with Riley, but not for the reasons you might think. You see the money, the oil business, this big house, land, and new vehicles. Those things are just that, things. The reason you are so lucky to be with Riley is because of the incredible person she is. Riley is the sum of every good part of me and Rose. She's smart, kind, empathetic, gracious, and loving. She can stand in a boardroom full of stuffed shirts and command the room. She can talk with anyone, on their level, and her smile and personality are infectious. She is such a rarity in this world. She is the genuine article, and 'that' is the reason you're lucky to be with her. It has nothing to do with money, Raph, and the sooner you figure that out, the happier you both will be."

"Steve, thank you for that, and you're right. She would be just as special if she were penniless. She is certainly one of a kind," Raph said, relieved by Steve's speech.

"That she is, Son. That she is. Would you be willing to sign a prenuptial agreement?" Steve asked.

"Absolutely," Raph said instantly.

"Well, that is Riley's call, but I'm not going to recommend it," Steve said surprisingly.

"You won't?" Raph seemed confused.

"No, Raph, I won't. I'm sure our lawyers will advise otherwise but I honestly think you are the one man on this big blue ball that really is not trying to get rich by marrying a rich girl. I've gotten where I'm at today by trusting my instincts and my instincts tell me you're something special yourself. You and Riley are the most made-for-each-other people I've ever had the pleasure of being around. You two restore my faith in humanity," he said in his simple, honest way.

"Thank you, Steve. I promise, I will not prove you wrong," Raph said, looking Steve directly in the eyes.

"I know you won't, Son," Steve said, nodding his head.

"I do have one question though," Raph said, smiling.

"What's that?"

"What is Riley's middle name?"

A knock at the door halted the conversation immediately.

"Come in," Steve said, leaning back in his chair, assuming a calm and relaxed posture.

The doors opened inward, "You boys ready to eat?" Riley asked, smiling her beautiful smile.

"Absolutely," Raph said, getting up from the chair.

"You bet," Steve said, rising also.

Riley led the way, barefooted as usual, as Raph and Steve followed behind. Steve placed his hand on Raph's shoulder and squeezed it. As Raph looked over, Steve leaned over to whisper in Raph's ear. Raph listened and as Steve pulled away Raph looked questioningly over at Steve. Steve smiled a small smile and nodded his head. Raph nodded back as he felt Steve's hand slide from his shoulder.

*****

Raph and Riley were riding through the scrub-brush along the creek. Raph had subtly claimed the long-legged blood-bay gelding, Ranger, as his steed of choice. Riley was a little less monogamous, switching between the steel-dust gelding, Rocky, the strawberry roan, Bette, and the black mare, Shadow. Today it was Bette she rode. They'd been riding for an hour or so and had helped two of the ranch hands move a small herd from one grazing pasture to another. Afterward, they had gone into the brush, looking for a cow and heifer that the hands had been looking for. They stopped on a small ridge, looking down where the creek cut a swath through the brush.

"Want to get down and stretch your legs a minute?" Raph asked.

"Sure," Riley responded, dismounting, trailing Bette's rein on the ground.

Raph bent down where a small rock formation pushed up through the grass.

"Hey," he called to Riley, "come look what I found?" he said, pulling at the rock.

"Did you strike gold?" she laughed as she approached.

"You could say that," he said, turning toward her but staying on one knee.

Riley froze as she looked down and saw the black felt box in Raph's hand.

"Riley Milicent Barrett, I want to spend the rest of my life trying my best to provide you with the love and support that you deserve. Would you do me the honor of sharing my life, forever and always?" he asked, opening the box. The afternoon sun shone brightly off the three diamond set of the engagement ring, nestled into the soft interior.

"Oh, Raph," she said, her voice barely above a whisper. Tears welled up in her eyes as she slowly lowered herself to her knees in front of him. She looked from the ring back to his eyes. She saw anxiety, a shadow of fear, and love; pure, wholesome, unequivocal love. She lunged for him, throwing her arms around his neck. The sudden assault knocked him over backward and she clung to him all the way to the ground. The unexpected fall dislodged the box from his hand, sending it tumbling over the embankment into the brush below.

"The ring!" he yelled. Riley's eyes were big as saucers as they both lay on the ground watching, as if in slow motion, as the small black box bounced and rolled up to and over the edge of the embankment.

Riley stood up and helped Raph to his feet. He went to the ledge, looking down into the brambles. As he leaned over the edge trying to see, the ledge gave way, tumbling him down into the brush in a cloud of dust.

"Raph! Raph, are you okay?" Riley asked, running up the edge.

As the dust settled, she heard a groan and some coughing, "Yeah, I'm okay," Raph finally said, "well, I'm down here, let me see if I can find it. Can you meet me down by the creek?" Raph called from somewhere in the tangle of brambles.

"Are you sure you're okay?" she called.

"Yep, I just don't think I can get back up this bank," he said.

Riley mounted Bette and took Ranger's reins to lead him along behind as she picked her way down to the banks of the creek. When she finally made it, she saw Raph, sitting on a rock on the bank. He was dirty and dusty, had several scratches on his hands, arms, and neck. He had leaves in his hair and the collar of his shirt, but the smile on his face was something she never tired of seeing. She dismounted quickly and ran to him.

"Oh, Baby, are you okay?" she asked, examining him more closely now.

"I'm fine," he smiled, "I'm just glad I found your ring," he said, holding out the closed box.

Raph slid from the rock, down onto his knee as he opened the box and removed the ring, "Let's try this again. Riley Milicent Barrett, will you marry me?" he asked, holding out the ring.

"Yes, Raph, my darling, I would love to marry you," she said, holding out her left hand.

Raph slid the ring easily on her ring finger.

"It's a perfect fit," she said, holding her hand out, admiring the sparkle of the sunlight on the gems.

"For the perfect woman," Raph said, standing up and taking her hands, "I love you, now and forever."

"Oh, Raph, I love you too. Now and forever," she said as he leaned to her, kissing her softly.

"Now," Riley said when they separated, her eyes narrowed, "who told you my middle name is Milicent?"

"I'm afraid I can't divulge my sources," Raph replied cagily.

"Oh, I'll find out," she finally smiled. "Only three people know and I'm pretty sure you didn't call and ask my mom, so that leaves Dad and Maria."

"Don't be mad," he pleaded. "I just wanted to do this right, minus the almost losing the ring and falling down a cliff."

"It's okay," she said softly. "I would have told you if you asked. I wasn't only named after my great-grandpa Riley, but also his wife Milicent, who they called Milie."

"I like Milicent," he mused. "I may start calling you that."

"Oh, Love, you are so not going to start calling me Milicent," she smiled at him. It was kind of a scary smile. Scary enough that he immediately dropped any plans of calling her Milicent.

"As you wish," he said in defeat.

Ranger stomped his foot and blew through his nose. Bette cropped grass contentedly. Both were oblivious to the momentous occasion they'd just witnessed.

*****

Raph and Riley walked into the Texas Roadhouse restaurant and told the hostess they were part of a party that had already arrived. She told them where Maria and Hunter were seated and left them to find their way.

"Hey guys," Riley said as they approached the booth, "sorry we're late."

"No problem," Maria said cheerfully, "We haven't been here long but you're never late. What happened?"

"Our ride took a little longer than expected," Riley said, smiling and blushing.

"Uh, okay," Maria said, slightly confused. She looked to Raph for an explanation and noticed the fresh scratches and scraps on his neck, and hands, "Did you get thrown off your horse?"

"No, I fell off a small cliff and into a thicket," he smiled.

"How in the world did you manage that?" Maria asked, even more confused now.

"I was looking for something I, uh -- dropped, and the edge of the embankment gave way and over I went."

"What in the world was so important that you were hanging over the edge of a cliff?"

Raph looked at Riley who smiled and blushed even further before moving her left hand from her lap to the tabletop where she laid her hand, palm down, open on the table.

"Oh my God, you guys!" Maria practically yelled, causing Hunter to jump and several nearby diners to look in their direction. Hunter was only a second behind.

"Is that an engagement ring?" he asked quickly.

Raph beamed while Riley proudly nodded her head.

"It is," she said quietly.

Maria reached out and seized Riley's hand, yanking it toward her until Riley's chest was against her side of the table, preventing Maria from pulling the hand any further.

"Riley, it's beautiful," Maria said breathlessly. "You did well, Fly-boy," she said looking over at the still smiling Raph.

"Thank you," Riley said, "I love it. It's perfect."

"Congratulations you guys," Hunter said, reaching across the table to shake Raph's hand.

"Thanks, man," Raph said proudly.

"Thank you, Hunter," Riley said sweetly.

"We do have a question for you guys though," Raph said, looking from Hunter and Maria over to Riley.

"Maria," Riley said, still holding Maria's hand. "Would you be my maid-of-honor at the wedding?"

Maria's eyes teared up and she squeezed Riley's hand so hard Riley was sure the ring was leaving impressions on the fingers next to it.

"I would love to, Riley, thank you," she said, almost crying.

"And I'll be needing a best man, Hunter," Raph said looking at the ashen-faced Hunter who just stared at him.

"I, uh, I'd be honored," he finally stammered out. "Are you sure you want me?"

"Hunter, man, you're my best-friend. You're the one guy I hang with that isn't because of work or something like that. I hang out with you because I like you and enjoy your company and it's just a bonus that you're dating my girl....my fiance's best friend," Raph corrected.

"Fiance!" Maria squealed, "Riley, I can't believe you're a fiance!"

"Me either," Riley said, looking lovingly at Raph.

"So how did you propose?" Maria asked Raph, "I know you fell off a cliff, which is a bit dramatic, but let's hear it all."

"Well, the cliff part wasn't part of the plan," Raph chuckled, "but years from now it'll make the telling of it that much better. We had been riding all day and had stopped on this beautiful little ridge overlooking the creek below, the afternoon sun was just right, so I invited Riley to get down and stretch her legs. I got down on one knee and said...."

"He proposed," Riley said quickly, cutting him off before he repeated the actual words he used.

"Wait, what?" Maria said, immediately sensing there was something she was missing.

Riley rolled her eyes and blushed again. "He was very formal when he asked," she said quietly.

"Formal?" Maria asked.

"Yes," Riley said, looking around, making sure no one was listening, "he used my "full" name," she whispered.

Maria's eyes got big, "No, he didn't. How did he....it wasn't me," Maria said suddenly, "I would never, you made me swear an oath."

"An oath, about what?" Hunter asked, now intrigued.

Riley was now blushing blood-red, "I knew you didn't. I know who the blabbermouth is," she said with a faint smile, "Raph, being an old soul trapped in a young body, apparently asked for my father's blessing before he proposed, didn't you?" she asked looking now at Raph.

"It was the right thing to do," he said simply.

"And I'm guessing he gave it?" she asked, her eyebrow arched over her left eye.

"Not exactly," Raph replied cryptically.

"He didn't give you his blessing?" she asked, now confused based on the conversation she'd had with her father earlier.

"He said that his blessing was not needed, that you made your own decisions and he trusted your judgment. It felt like it was a blessing, but he made it clear that he had no say in the choices you made in your life."

This sounded just like her father. Always encouraging her independence, but letting her know he'd be there when she needed him.

"And during this conversation, did you inquire, or did he offer freely the information being discussed here?"

"I inquired," Raph said, shouldering his share of the burden. He was sure Steve was going to hear from Riley as well, "He didn't immediately get a chance to tell me, or the history, because as soon as I asked, you knocked on the door and told us lunch was ready. He whispered it in my ear as we followed you to the kitchen."

Hunter sat looking at the three of them as if they were speaking a foreign language.

"What are we talking about here?" he finally asked.

Again, Riley looked around, making sure no one was listening, "Hunter, you're about to become a member of a very exclusive club. There are very few people who know my middle name. It's an old family name, as is Riley. You see, my father was very close to his grandfather, and grandmother, so I was going to be named Riley, after my great-grandfather, whether I was a boy or a girl. When I was born a girl, my father somehow talked my mother into naming me after not only my great-grandfather but my great-grandmother as well," she took one more look around before leaning over the table toward Hunter, "My full name is Riley Milicent Barrett," she whispered.

"Milicent?" Hunter whispered. "That's the secret here, that your middle name is Milicent?"

"Well, you must admit, as a name it's a little -- dated," Riley explained.

"Is it a Brittany, or Amber, or Tiffany, no," Hunter said, "The way I look at it, there are some people who are named after their father just because that's the way it's always been done, but in your case, you were named after not one, but two people, that meant a whole lot to your dad. That's pretty cool in my book. Milicent is not a horrible name, it's a name that had special meaning to your dad, so special that he wanted you to carry it on. My middle name is Bartholomew, also after a great-granddad, I would have gone by it, but I couldn't spell it until I was in the 4th grade and by then I was used to being Hunter. I'm sorry if I'm speaking out of turn here, I just don't think your name is anything to be ashamed of. I like it," he concluded.

Everyone at the table stared at Hunter. He looked up after picking up a cheese fry from the appetizer plate and saw everyone looking and immediately got nervous.