Always Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You know what Hunter, you're exactly right. I've looked at this wrong my whole life. I swore poor Maria to secrecy and threw a fit to my dad every time he mentioned it until he finally just stopped. I do feel ashamed, not because of the name now, but because of how I've represented it. You're right, my dad loved his grandparents very much and it is a great honor to be given both their names. Thank you, Hunter," she said, reaching across the table and taking his hand, "for helping me to look past my insecurity at what that name should have meant to me all along."

"You're welcome," Hunter said, relieved.

"See man, that's why you're my best-man," Raph grinned at him.

Hunter beamed at them both.

Riley told them the rest of the story of the proposal, including Raph falling off the embankment and having to crawl through the thicket to first, find the ring, and then to extricate himself from the mass of briers and brambles. She told of Raph's second attempt at the proposal, including quoting him as saying "Riley Milicent Barrett" and of her joyful acceptance of his proposal.

They talked about wedding venues, where they were going to live, and many other things until the wait staff began to drop subtle hints that it was time for them to go.

*****

"I think it would be perfect," Riley said, sitting in her saddle.

Raph sat on the flat shelf, looking out over the rolling hills, the creek, and the lower grasslands. It was a beautiful panorama. It was on the far western edge of the Barrett property. Even from this elevated position, he was unable to see the ranch house, barn, or even the hangar and airstrip. From here, they appeared to be the only two people for miles. It was approximately a quarter-mile from where they sat to the property line and the highway. They would build their drive in from the highway if they chose to build here.

"I definitely can't complain about the view," Raph said, looking at Riley, as she sat on the shiny black mare, Shadow.

"It is beautiful," she said, still looking out over the land below.

"Yes it is," he smiled. She turned to look at him and finally realized he wasn't just talking about the view of the land. She smiled and turned the mare with her knees to ride up beside him.

"Have I told you lately that I love you?" she said softly.

"It's been at least an hour," he smiled at her.

"I love you, Raph," she said, leaning over toward him.

"I love you too, Riley," he said, meeting her in the middle, their lips meshing together as Raph reached up to cup her neck.

"I do love it here," she said when they parted, "It's so peaceful and beautiful."

"Then this is our place," Raph said, taking her hand.

"Our place," she echoed dreamily, "I like the sound of that."

"Yeah, me too," he said, "I'll have the builder out here on Tuesday to look the site over and make sure he doesn't see any issues."

"Where are you flying Monday?" she asked.

"Cayman Islands," he said like he was just going to the corner grocery.

"Wow, Cayman Islands," she said, "that sounds like fun."

"I should be on the ground just long enough to refuel, file my return flight plan, and get headed back. I should be back by the late afternoon. I still love my TBM, but that extra hundred knots of cruise speed with the CJ3 sure is nice on these longer flights," he smiled.

"As long is it gets you back home to me faster, I like it too," she smiled back at him with her beautiful smile.

As the sun began to set, Raph and Riley brought their horses to a canter, down off the plateau, toward Barrett Manor.

*****

"This is awesome," Hunter said over the intercom as the TBM lifted off the runway. "I've never been in anything smaller than a commercial jet."

Riley turned from the front seat to look back and smiled at Maria and Hunter in the back. Hunter was like a kid on his first plane ride. He was alternately looking from Maria to the windows, watching the ground drop away from them.

Raph was taking Riley, along with her maid-of-honor, to Houston to look at wedding dresses. They were going to look at Casa de Novia, Bridal Couture. Riley and Maria had spent weeks looking at bridal books, dresses, veils, bouquets, and trains. Now they were going to look at some of the actual dresses they'd been interested in.

Raph's boss had been kind enough to allow Raph and the wedding party to use the TBM for the flight down to Houston. Riley offered to charter the flight but Greg Parker, the owner of Charter Air, had flatly refused the offer, telling Riley that she was a member of the Charter Air family and family flew for the price of fuel. Riley had hugged Greg's neck, causing him to blush.

At cruising altitude, with the auto-pilot doing most of the flying, Riley had changed seats with Hunter for a bit. He asked Raph a million questions, which Raph patiently answered in between calls to ATC. When they got ready to descend into Houston and the Houston International Airport, Riley politely asked Hunter to swap back, mainly because she knew Raph needed to concentrate as he got into the heavy air traffic around the airport and that would be hard to do with Hunter asking his rapid-fire questions.

Raph maneuvered the TBM onto the correct approach path, guided by ATC until he was handed off to the tower for landing clearance. He was vectored in for a landing on runway 15-R. The landing was smooth and well-practiced. Raph let the TBM slow on the runway, exiting onto the taxiway midway down the 10,000-foot runway. After receiving taxi clearance to the ramp, he taxied to a parking spot and shut down the engine.

Once they secured the TBM, they rented a sedan and headed to the bridal shop. The girls were quickly engrossed in the seemingly endless dresses. Raph and Hunter sat in the provided chairs since Raph was not allowed to see the dress or dresses. After a time, Maria came out and called to them. As they got up, she wrapped her arm around Hunter's arm and started pulling him toward another part of the store.

"Riley has something she wants you to look at," Maria said over her shoulder, "she's in dressing room three."

Raph turned toward the back of the store and found the dressing rooms. He knocked lightly on the door with the big silver 3 on it.

"Yes?" came Riley's unmistakable voice.

"It's me," Raph said to the door.

"Is it just you?" she asked.

"Yes ma'am, just me."

The door opened quickly and Riley's hand came out, grabbing him by the front of the shirt, pulling him inside.

"Well hello there," he said as she wrapped her arms around his neck and squeezed him tightly.

"Hello yourself," she purred, "I've missed you. Usually, when I take my clothes off this much, you're there and the reason my clothes are coming off."

Raph suddenly realized Riley was wearing only her bra and panties. He buried his head in her neck and cradeled her round bottom.

"Mmm," she moaned softly as his lips found her neck.

Her sensual body, wrapped in his arms, coupled with the thrill of being in a bridle-shop dressing room was enough to have him instantly erect. A fact not lost on Riley.

"Well, someone's thinking what I'm thinking," she breathed into his ear.

"Great minds think alike," he whispered as he slid his hands into the waistband of her panties, moving his hands downward, taking the lacy garment with them.

*****

Raph was finishing blading the last of the driveway. Steve had given him a crash course on using the mid-size Caterpillar dozer. By the time he'd reached the homestead, he'd become quite good at operating the dozer. He'd also had several 22-yard loads of SB2 gravel hauled in and dumped on the newly graded path. He would back-drag the gravel, smoothing it out. By the end of the weekend, he would be ready for the construction crews to come in and get started on the house.

Riley and Raph had met with the architect and had approved the plans for a four-bedroom house. On the ground floor, there would be three guest bedrooms, a full guest bathroom, kitchen, dining room, den, pantry, and washroom. Upstairs would be the master bedroom, with french doors leading onto a balcony that would offer a spectacular view of the land below. The balcony stretched across the front of the house to another set of French doors, leading to Riley's studio and office. The bedroom included a walk-in closet and a master bath. The lower floor would have a porch on three sides of the house and a patio on the back-side.

The construction manager had already come out and staked out the foundation. There would also be a basement and the garage would be below the first floor of the house.

As he rounded the low hill, bringing him within sight of the homestead, he saw the Barrett's side-by-side and Steve standing in the center of the staked out land. Raph pushed the dirt up into a pile before shutting down the dozer and climbing out.

"Hey, Steve," he said, "what's up?"

"Just haven't had the chance to come out and see what all you've got going on," he said.

"I've got the drive about done so we should be able to get the construction crews in starting next week," Raph said.

"You picked a perfect spot," Steve said, looking out over the landscape, "if I hadn't built on the old homestead, this would have been my second choice. The view here is incredible."

"It is, and I think Riley will get a lot out of it, for her painting," Raph said. "The whole house is configured to give her the best views from her studio and the deck."

"That's thoughtful," Steve said simply with a small smile on his lips.

"I want her home to be a place she can unwind from the stresses of her day. Somewhere she can be comfortable to walk barefoot and just relax," Raph explained.

"Sounds like a solid plan," Steve said, "that's exactly what a home should be. You've thought this through. You're good for Riley, don't ever let anyone tell you differently." Steve said, reaching over and squeezing Raph's shoulder.

"She's good for me too," Raph said simply.

.

A pickup eased around the corner, following the newly graded driveway. It pulled up next to the dozer and stopped.

"Hey guys," Riley called when she opened the door. "I brought supper."

Raph and Steve both walked over and helped her get sacks and drinks from Ruby's Barbecue. Steve opened the tailgate of Riley's truck, using it as an improvised table.

"There are lawn chairs in the backseat," she said, opening the rear door of the truck.

Raph removed three collapsible chairs from the back seat and sat them around the back of the truck.

"You did get the driveway done today," Riley commented. "I like the way you did it, following the contours of the land instead of just bulldozing a straight line through."

"I hated to disturb any of the lands, so I tried to keep my path of destruction to a minimum," he said around bites of his sandwich.

"Smart," Steve said, "it'll help with runoff and drainage. The land itself has already figured out the most efficient way to sustain itself, sticking to that natural plan keeps you from creating unnecessary problems."

Riley winked at Raph following her father's praise.

"So, have you picked a venue and a date for the wedding?" Steve asked.

"We were going to talk to you about that," Riley said, "If you don't mind, I'd like to have the wedding at the house."

"This house?" Steve asked.

"No, our -- your house, out in the back, on the patio."

"I'd love that," he said, quietly.

"Great, and thank you!" she said, jumping up and hugging his neck.

"Of course, Honey," he said, hugging her back. Raph swore he saw Steve's eyes get a little misty, but he looked away, not wanting to embarrass him.

After they'd eaten, Riley walked with Steve and Raph around the land, explaining to Steve where each thing would be, how it would look, and what you could see from the different vantage points. Raph walked along behind, letting Riley talk excitedly to her father, a content smile on his lips as he watched her excitement and Steve's enthusiasm.

*****

"Come in Babe," Riley said, greeting Raph as the front door, "there are some people here I want you to meet."

"Lead the way," he smiled, after grabbing a quick kiss from her.

Riley took his hand in hers and led him toward the den where he heard talking and laughter before they even got in the room. Upon entering, he saw Steve Barrett, his face red, his eyes watering, and a comically large grin on his face. Across from him sat two older women that had to be sisters, and at second glance, had to be Steve's sisters because he could see Steve and even Riley, to a degree, in their features.

"Aunt Claire, Aunt Molly, this is Raph. Raph, my Aunts Claire Kerry and Molly Kettleman, Dad's sisters," Riley said proudly.

"Oh Riles, you said he was handsome but, wow! You got you a looker here," Claire said feistily.

Claire was a stout woman, her brown hair stylishly done. Her eyes were a light brown and had a mischievous sparkle to them as she looked him over appraisingly. Claire was divorced and remained single.

"Well, anyone standing next to Riley gets a looks-factor boost," Raph said, smiling at Riley.

"Oh, and such a charmer," Molly joined in.

Molly was older. She was a little leaner than Claire and appeared to still be in good shape. Her light brown hair, similar to Riley's, had begun to give way to gray and she appeared to embrace it rather than try to hide it. She had an easy smile and Riley's hazel eyes. Molly was a widow. Her late husband was killed in an automobile accident.

Raph liked them both instantly.

"So, this is the man who not only won the hand of our beautiful Riles but managed to get in good with our grumpy old bear of a brother. You must be something special indeed," Molly mused.

"He is," Riley said quietly, hugging Raph's arm to herself possessively.

"Raph, I would have tried to prepare you for this," Steve said, "but there's little I can do to help you now. If you survive today, you will indeed have earned the right to marry into the family."

"Oh poo," Claire said, rolling her eyes, "you make us out to be terrible old hags, brother."

"We do feel very protective of little Riles," Molly said diplomatically, "we only want the best for her. We're like her surrogate mothers if you will."

"Since her real one ain't fit," Claire said, the vitriol clear in her voice.

"Claire!" Molly admonished, "no one condones what Rose did but she 'is' Riley's mother."

Steve just shook his head.

"Please excuse Claire's mouth," Molly said sweetly to Raph, "it's usually a few minutes ahead of her mind."

Claire just rolled her eyes but kept quiet for the moment.

"So, Raph, Riles tells us you're quite the accomplished pilot," Molly said, changing the subject.

"Well, I've been lucky enough to have had the same number of landings as I've had take-offs," he smiled.

"Modest," Claire said, "even Steve has bragged about your work ethic and your rise within your company, and believe me, our big brother is a hard man to impress."

Raph blushed and Riley practically glowed with pride.

"I've been waiting until you got here to show them the house," Riley said excitedly, "shall we take them now?"

"Sure, ready when you are," he said.

Riley led everyone outside where they got into Riley's truck. Raph drove with Riley riding in the middle of the front seat and Steve on the passenger side. Molly and Claire climbed easily into the spacious back seat. Raph drove out to the highway and around to the driveway entrance instead of bouncing everyone around by going through the pastures and fields. He turned off the highway onto the now well-packed gravel drive that led to their house. Raph never tired of rounding that last bend and seeing the house -- their house -- coming into view.

The outside of the house was up and in-the-dry. The inside was still under construction with electrical, sheet-rock, flooring, painting, and finish work. Raph pulled up and stopped on the concrete pad outside the garage. The garage doors were there but there was no power to them yet. He parked and helped Riley, then Molly from the truck. Steve extended a hand to Claire as well. Riley led them up onto the porch, explaining everything as she went. As always, her excitement and passion were infectious. Riley, Molly, and Claire were a constant trill of questions and answers. Riley ran around the unfinished interior of the house like a little girl. Her enthusiasm brought broad smiles to everyone around her.

Steve and Raph, after getting in the way more than once when Riley suddenly changed direction, decided to step back out on the porch and just get out of the way. There were a half dozen lawn chairs already on the porch as Raph and Riley often liked to sit out at night and just look out over the fields, under the moon and stars.

"Looks like they're getting close," Steve said as they sat down on the porch.

"They're saying it's about a month and a half out," Raph agreed.

"Are you going to move in as soon as it's done?"

"No, I'll move some of my stuff in, and Riley's going to move some of her stuff in, but since this is 'our' house, we won't officially move in until after the wedding."

"So the house should be ready by December, but y'all are going to wait until March to move in?"

"I'm sure we'll be here so much getting things arranged and situated that it will feel like we live here, but yes sir, that's the plan."

"Well, I have no call to doubt your plans because they all seem to be working thus far," Steve conceded.

The girls came out and took seats on the porch and strangely enough, they all became quiet, just taking in the view of the setting sun over the landscape. The majestic beauty was beyond description so each sat quietly, lost in their thoughts. Riley reached over and took Raph's hand. He gave her hand a gentle squeeze. She sighed contentedly looking from Raph back out over the lands below. A lone coyote howled nearby, answered seconds later by a distant barely audible reply. Everyone here had grown up in rural Texas and even though coyotes were a nuisance animal that often killed calves and other livestock, all here appreciated the coyote's call of a lost or separated member from its pack. They understood the need to belong and tonight, sitting quietly on the porch as the sun set below the horizon and the stars started to blink on, they all, Raph included, felt like family.

*****

Riley came downstairs, barefoot, in yoga pants and a tee-shirt. Raph, watching from his seat in the den, smiled at her natural grace and beauty. One of Raph's greatest joys in life was to watch Riley, just going about her daily routine. He was in love with every facet of her. The way she walked, the way she hummed softly to herself as she worked or concentrated. The joy that was evident on her face when she looked upon or just thought of something that made her happy. She was human, and she had her bad days and times when she got down about something, like after a call with her mother who was acting as the travel agent for guilt trips during Riley's wedding planning. Riley had attempted to involve her mother, but as usual, Rose complicated things with her own need for attention. Even during the trying times, Riley was quick to bounce back, refusing to wallow in self-pity or to let things get to her any longer than needed.

He was snapped out of his reverie when Riley sat down next to him on the couch. This was something else he loved about her. She was a toucher, a hugger, she sought out physical contact. Even if they were both reading a book or working, she would place her small bare foot on his leg, or idly trace circles on his arm with her finger. It was often subtle, but she enjoyed the physical bond between them and, he found, he did as well. He recalled times when he would be on the computer in his apartment, looking at the weather or just online grocery shopping. Riley would walk by, not saying anything, but she would trail her fingers lightly across his broad shoulders as she passed. It was nothing overt or lingering, but it left a radiating warmth that touched the depths of his soul.