AMA - The Divorcee: Day 14

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here


It doesn't take long after that for all of you to reach your destination. You meet up with Tanya, Brooke, and Viv at the lobby of the hotel, before all of you make your way up to the open area garden and events place on the 15th floor of the hotel.

As soon as the elevator doors open, there's already someone to greet your group and ask for your names to check if they're on the guest list.

"We're Ms. Rebecca Hoffman's plus seven." Tanya informs them.

"Ah, yes. Of course. Ms. Hoffman gave us your names, we just want to check if it's accurate." The man replies, and the girls each give their names with you and Stella going last.

"Stella Craig." your daughter tells him, who starts checking the guestbook again.

"Craig, Stella. Here it is - oh. That's a different Ms. Craig. Ah. Here. Craig, Stella." The man confirms, and you give him your name and he immediately confirms you're on the guest list. "Welcome to the annual Hoffman Charity Gala. You're all seated at Table 15. We hope you enjoy your evening." The man finally welcomes all of you, before allowing you to enter the main venue.

As you enter the venue, you finally notice the amazing view of the city from up here. The decorations of the venue, you can only describe as simple but elegant. Not as lavish as you would have expected it to be, based on what Becca and Viv may have made you think since they mentioned multi-millionaires and probably other billionaires will be guests in this gala. Stella notices Paige sitting alone at a table, and you realize that it's your group's table as well, so you make your way to approach her. Before you can even reach the table, Becca calls out to you from behind.

"Good evening, Jay." Becca says, after you turn around to face her.

"Hey, Becca." You greet her back.

"I wanted to introduce you to—" Becca starts saying, before she gets cut off and the older man behind her moves forward to stand in between you and Becca.

"So... you're the man my daughter has chosen over all the men I've introduced her to."

CHAPTER 182.1

What happens next?

Fancy Meeting You Here

"So... you're the man my daughter has chosen over all the men I've introduced her to." Becca's father greets you menacingly, getting you to stiffen in panic a little. Becca's father has an imposing figure. He's not as tall as you, but he has a wide frame that makes him seem a lot more intimidating. He has salt and pepper hair, that's perfectly coiffed, and an expertly shaped beard to match.

"Come here!" Mr. Hoffman says with a huge genuine smile while spreading his arms wide, inviting you to a hug.

You were already unsure how to react when he was trying to intimidate you. Now you're even more confused about how to react.

Becca widens her eyes at you from behind Mr. Hoffman, and you take it as a signal to not decline Mr. Hoffman's offering of a hug. You awkwardly step into his arms and he hugs you like a proud father. Giving you strong taps to the back while letting out amused laughter. You look at Becca who hand signals you to tap her father's back in return, and you awkwardly do as she suggests. Mr. Hoffman then breaks away from the hug and holds you by your shoulders.

"You know Joseph, I've always feared my daughter would never give me grandchildren." Mr. Hoffman suddenly overshares with you, getting Becca to shout "Father!" to reprimand him. Mr. Hoffman doesn't seem to hear Becca's protest though.

"I was beginning to think the rumors going around the office were true. I kept hearing I had a better chance setting her up with my friend's son's secretary than my friend's son, you know what I mean?" Mr. Hoffman continues, laughing jovially at his statement. "Then I hear she's bringing a man as her date today and it was music to my ears." Mr. Hoffman says again in amusement, before Becca steps between the two of you to get her father's attention.

"Enough, Father. You've already reached your quota on the amount of embarrassment you want me to feel." Becca tells her Dad.

"Aw~, come now, Becca. Loosen up a little. This is the first time you've introduced me to a boy you were dating since high school. Let me revel in it a little." Mr. Hoffman tells his daughter.

"If I loosen up any further, I'll be Nathan. You wouldn't want that." Becca fires back.

"Bah! Your brother's enjoying his life in college." Mr. Hoffman says dismissively.

"Is that why he's not here? He's enjoying his 'summer classes'?" Becca asks pointedly.

"Enough." Mr. Hoffman says with finality. "He'll straighten out once he gets more responsibilities in the company." Mr. Hoffman adds, and you can see that Mr. Hoffman's statement stings Becca a lot.

"As for you, my good man, don't worry. I'm not going to do the whole 'overprotective father' schtick with you. Last time I tried that, Becca stopped dating men altogether. I'm not going to risk doing that again." Mr. Hoffman jokes, letting out another hearty laugh afterwards.

"You've taken enough of his time, father. Please let him enjoy his evening—" Becca addresses her dad, before being cut off.

"Nonsense! I'm the host of this shindig, let me host my guests how I wish." Mr. Hoffman replies dismissively. He said it with a jovial laugh, but also with an authority that is unmistakable.

"Come, my good man. Let me introduce you to some of the other guests." Mr. Hoffman addresses you, looking over Becca like she's not even in front of him. You look at Becca, who sighs in defeat and motions for you to join her father.

"I would love to join you, Mr. Hoffman; but I'd like to introduce my girlfriends to you first." You tell him with a nice smile.

"Aah~, that's the grand finale, my good man. I'd love to get to know your girls in better detail later on in the night when I have time. For now, you see, I need to schmooze, and schmingle, and schmiss schmome schmass, if you get what I mean. Awfully boring but mandatory stuff as a host for these kinds of events. I would appreciate it if you could join me first." Mr. Hoffman tells you, before sidestepping Becca and placing his arm around your shoulder. Hearing him talk like this, you have no idea how Becca speaks the way she does.

You look back at your table, where everyone is just watching your interaction with Mr. Hoffman in awkward silence. You look at Becca next, who seems nervous, but unable to say what she's thinking. Finally, you look at Mr. Hoffman next, and his eyes have a determination in them that he's not going to take 'no' for an answer.

"Lead the way, Mr. Hoffman." You tell him, and he lets out a hearty laugh once more.

"Please~, we're practically family Joseph. Call me Avi." He tells you with a wide smile, tapping you on the shoulders one more time.

"If that's the case, Avi, you can call me—" You try to tell Mr. Hoffman, but he ignores you completely.

"Becca, please keep Joseph's girlfriends entertained, would you?" Mr. Hoffman orders Becca, not even waiting for her response before he leads you away from the girls.


[Minisode] #4: The Girls of the Round Table

"What the hell was that about?" Stella asks Becca, who slumps into a chair with her hand rubbing her forehead after Jay and her father leave.

"That... was my father." Rebecca replies, before taking another deep sigh.

"Why the exasperation, Becca? Your dad seems to have taken a liking to Jay from the looks of it." Tanya asks Becca.

"I think that's precisely why she's exasperated." Viv jokes.

"Is that not good?" Brooke asks in confusion.

"Would you like me to get some water for you, Ms. Hoffman?" Paige asks, concerned.

"That would be great, Paige. Thank you." Becca answers Paige, who immediately stands up and leaves the table to try and get Becca some water.

"Wow, you must be really stressed. You didn't even correct her to call you Becca this time." Stella observes.

"Oh, right. Thank you for reminding me. I'll have to correct her again for that." Becca replies, and Stella reacts guiltily as she may have gotten Paige in trouble with her joke.

"Why are you stressing out so much though?" Stella asks her, trying to distract Becca.

"Whatever my father is doing... I'm sure it's a test." Becca says, before calling for a server.

"Jay's got magic on his side, Becca. The way your dad has his arms wrapped around him, he's going to take a liking to him in no time." Cassie points out, comfortable to speak about the app since Paige left for the time being.

"If he's a little bit gay, he'd probably want to fuck him before you with how close he is to him right now." Viv jokes, getting everyone to laugh.

"Plus, didn't he buy that 'Life of the Party' trait? I bet that's one of the reasons why your Dad's taking an increased liking to him, and wants to parade him around." Stella adds on.

"I wasn't aware he bought that trait like I advised." Becca replies. "I hope it's enough to temper my father's... mercurialtendencies." Becca adds.

"If the trait he bought for me is anything to go by, you have nothing to worry about, Becca." Maddy assures her. Becca gives Maddy an appreciative smile, before taking a deep breath to calm herself down, before straightening her back and recomposing herself.

"You all make valid points. I should have more confidence in Jay. I only hope the magic helps impress father enough to like him." Becca says with determination.

"If your dad heard the kinda shit Jay was up to last night, he'd probably think he's the one that needs to impress Jay instead." Brooke jokes suggestively, getting Jay's girlfriends to chuckle.

"Dad finally bought the 'Steadfast Lover' trait." Stella explains, and this information gets Maddy and Brooke to blush.

"Someone looks excited." Viv teases.

"Shut up." Brooke retorts guiltily.

"I was actually teasing, Maddy... but if the shoe fits." Viv smugly replies, continuing to tease Brooke. Brooke seems to have had enough and playfully slaps Viv in the arm.

"Damn, Brooke. I know you're horny, but there's no need to be kinky in public." Viv continues to tease, making Brooke even more frustrated.

"OW!" Cassie surprisingly shouts instead of Viv, having been elbowed by Stella on her side.

"Here are your waters for your table. I'll be back with some champagne shortly." Lizzie, the waitress, says after approaching the table.

"Look who I ran into." Paige addresses the table.


Meanwhile...

"Miranda! Long time no see!" Mr. Hoffman greets another one of the guests he's schmoozing for donations, like he's been doing for the past few minutes already. Although this time, it's a guest you're already familiar with.

"I want to introduce you to—" Mr. Hoffman continues, but is cut off by the woman he's trying to introduce you to; not knowing she already knows who you are.

"Mr. Craig." She addresses you, with a thin smile. "Fancy running into you here." She continues.

"Hi, Mrs. Sachs. It's nice seeing you again, as well." You greet her.

"Did I say it was nice seeing you?" Mrs. Sachs retorts, and you can't help but have your stomach drop. She's always had that effect on you. Every time you meet her feels like going to the principal's office.

"You two know each other? That's wonderful!" Mr. Hoffman says in reaction.

"Your sabbatical is over, Craig. I want the latest draft on Monday and I'm sending an editorial assistant to your place on Tuesday so I know you're not slacking." Mrs. Sachs informs you matter-of-factly.

"That's un—" You try to say, but Mrs. Sachs doesn't give you an inch.

"Excuse me?" Mrs. Sachs cuts you off, while raising her eyebrow authoritatively.

"Yes, Mrs. Sachs." You reply, while repeatedly bowing.

"In any case, I'm glad to see you out and about." Mrs. Sachs tells you. "That's a good sign." She adds, almost motherly in her concern.

"Aviel." Mrs. Sachs addresses Mr. Hoffman.

"Miranda." Mr. Hoffman replies back, and Mrs. Sachs walks away from the two of you. Reminiscent of how Becca says goodbye.

"It seems you work for Miranda?" Mr. Hoffman asks you.

"Technically, no. She's the head of the publishing house for my books." You answer Mr. Hoffman.

"Oh? Then why does she act like your boss? That's just a licensing agreement, correct?" Mr. Hoffman asks you.

"She was my boss when I worked part time as a proofreader for the publishing house back in my hometown. She wasn't the CEO of the entire publishing house then, but she was the head of my city's branch. She was the one who fought for my first book to be published, and even copy edited it for me. I owe a lot to Mrs. Sachs. I guess because of that, how she treats me never really... evolved. Even after both of our shared successes." You explain to Mr. Hoffman.

"Well, if I may make an observation, it'll never evolve if you don't do anything to change it. You're no longer her employee, Joseph. No need to act like a student that's been sent to the principal's office." Mr. Hoffman advises you, and you can't help but curse yourself for being so obvious with your fear towards Mrs. Sachs that Mr. Hoffman described your feelings so accurately.

"Plus, if your sales numbers are to be believed, Miranda got promoted to CEO of Hopper-Collinsworth for having discovered you and giving them their biggest hit in recent memory." Mr. Hoffman encourages you. You know Mr. Hoffman's making a great point, since it's something you've told yourself too.

Although...

How the fuck did he know that if he said he didn't know you and Mrs. Sachs knew each other?

"You need to tell Miranda she can take her condescension and shove it up her—" Mr. Hoffman continues to encourage you, breaking you from your realization for a moment; and you're about to ask him about it, before you're interrupted by someone grabbing Mr. Hoffman's attention and interrupting him.

"Always resorting to violence, Avi." A lady addresses Mr. Hoffman from behind you.

You know that voice.

You're not sure anymore where you know it from... but you know that voice.

You turn around to see who spoke to Mr. Hoffman, and your brain shouts her nickname at the same time Mr. Hoffman shouts her name to greet her, both of you realizing who it is that's in front of you.

"Elaine!" Mr. Hoffman greets her in the same jovial excitement he does with everyone. "It's so nice to see you!" Mr. Hoffman continues.

'Elaine' doesn't reply though. She's in just as much shock as you are. You haven't seen each other or spoken to each other in over a decade, but your recognition of each other is unmistakable. Hell, it'd be impossible to not recognize each other.

You are family after all.

Image: Lainey Craig (Introduction)

"Lainey." You finally say out loud, greeting her.

"Bro?"

CHAPTER 183.1

What happens next?

Family

"What the fuck are you doing here?" Lainey asks you in shock.

"What the fuck am I doing here? What the fuck are you doing here!? What happened to you!?" You ask her in even more shock.

"I asked you first. What the fuck are you doing here?" Lainey asks, a lot more serious, and her anger still obviously rising.

"That's the first thing you're going to ask me after a fucking decade?" You ask your sister in annoyance.

"Fifteen... but who's counting?" Lainey corrects you with a thick layer of sarcasm.

"It seems you two know each other as well." Mr. Hoffman points out the obvious.

"Cut the crap, Avi! A control freak like you knows your guest list top to bottom." Lainey calls Mr. Hoffman out.

"I don't appreciate your tone, Elaine." Mr. Hoffman replies, his demeanor and body language completely different from just a moment ago, reminiscent of the time you first met Becca. It's fitting too, since you feel like this is the first time you're actually meeting the real Mr. Hoffman. At least, the Aviel Hoffman that Becca grew up with.

"Well, I don't appreciate you setting me up like this either." Lainey retorts, not backing down.

"Joseph is my daughter's guest. An invitation, mind you, that occurred yesterday. If you feel set-up, I suggest you speak to Rebecca. I have nothing to do with whatever imaginary slight you feel." Mr. Hoffman tells your younger sister.

"Of course you're not involved. Aviel Hoffman always has an alibi." Lainey sarcastically replies.

"I'm leaving." She then adds with finality, before turning away from you and Mr. Hoffman.

"Of course you're leaving. Typical Lainey move." You pointedly reply, unable to control yourself; and Lainey stops in her tracks before turning towards you once more in seething anger.

Mr. Hoffman seems to recognize the outburst about to explode from your sister and preempts it before she can make a scene. Mr. Hoffman steps in between you and Lainey and places a hand on her shoulder.

"The direction you were going was the right one if you were serious about taking your leave." Mr. Hoffman tells her with a tone of warning, while his other arm directs her to the elevator area. Meanwhile, Lainey just stares daggers at you. She's pursing her lips, not wanting to incur the wrath of Mr. Hoffman.

"Would you need an escort to the elevators?" Mr. Hoffman asks her pointedly. Lainey continues to stare at you, and you stare right back. She finally breaks the tension and looks back at Mr. Hoffman.

"No. I don't need any help." Lainey replies to him, before staring back at you. "Unlike some people." Lainey adds smugly before turning away again. It was obviously a dig at you; but with Mr. Hoffman in front of you, you decide to let it go... and let your sister walk away. Mr. Hoffman watches your sister make her way to the area with the elevators before turning around with his jovial smile once more, before addressing you.

"What was that about, Joseph?" He asks you.

"I'd be happy to explain, Avi; but I want to make sure that my sister wasn't onto something when she accused you of knowing our issues beforehand. Did you set this up?" You ask him, as calmly as you could.

"Does your entire family have trust issues, Joseph? I already answered your sister, and I'm not fond of repeating myself." Mr. Hoffman answers you in his serious demeanor. Although, you recognize he's tempering it slightly to sound a bit more jovial than how he addressed Lainey.

"You also acted surprised when Mrs. Sachs recognized who I was." You respond. "Yet, you knew my history with her. You even pointed out a specific detail that not many would know about her getting hired as CEO because she 'discovered' me. I'm saying that those two things don't add up to your surprise, Avi; and despite my negative relationship with my sister, I must agree with her that there's a chance that you orchestrated our reunion." You point out, trying not to sound like you're accusing him like Lainey did. Mr. Hoffman gives you an impressed smile, before wrapping his arm around your shoulder again.

"I guess I can't deny anymore that I did some homework on you, Joseph." Mr. Hoffman admits. "Although, with Becca's short notice, my background check wasn't able to be as thorough as I would normally have it. I wasn't even able to do any research on your other girlfriends. Nonetheless, I admit that I did know your relationship with Miranda." Mr. Hoffman continues.

"I learned of your career, and I pieced together the common connections we have in that regard; but that's about all of my prior knowledge of you." Mr. Hoffman informs you. He doesn't seem to be lying, but you wouldn't be surprised if he's a trained liar; so you take that statement with a grain of salt.

1...45678...11