An Arranged Marriage

Story Info
An arranged wedding full of surprises.
29.3k words
4.76
22k
51
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Six months. That's how long it took my parents to find my future wife. Only another six months after that, there I was in front of two very large families sweating in my freshly-polished brown, cap-toe shoes waiting to wed to a woman I'd never even seen a photo of. Thank god this was the only time this suit would ever see the light of day: I was certain there were permanent stains in the armpits. It would need extensive dry cleaning, in all likelihood.

My parents had always been borderline insane when it came to religion and women, but I never thought they were actually serious about arranging my marriage, and certainly not in the old fashion where we didn't even meet each other first. Surely they weren't that old school, I had thought. Now, I only needed to look around at the stained glass windows and feel the thunderously loud organ hymns vibrating my teeth to be certain. They were completely serious.

Could I have hopped on a flight out of town and disappeared in another city? Absolutely... but undoing an entire childhood of HONOR YOUR FATHER AND MOTHER among all the other "thou shalt" and "thou shalt not" phrases drummed into your head was simply too much to actually follow through on the rebellious impulse - no matter how much I fretted over who was about to come down that aisle. I had to have faith.

I'd heard the final count of attendees just this morning, after a pair of late-breaking cancellations. Eighty-four on my side of the family, one-hundred and three on Elena's. That was her name. Elena. That's literally all I knew. Her last name didn't seem to matter, since she would have mine instead, soon enough. I knew that, and that "She's a good girl. Comes from a good family. Love will grow in time with your common faith in god."

The party line didn't do a lot of good to calm my nerves. Nor did the one-hundred and three pairs of unfamiliar eyes probably wondering who the idiot boy was, standing at the front in a suit that makes him look more handsome than he does in real life. I might have been twenty-three, but I felt twelve. I found myself looking through the crowds, trying to imagine what my wife might look like based on their appearances, but they're mostly too far (and too seated) to really tell. They seem to have a rather colorful and classy sense of formal fashion. That's good, I guess?

Meanwhile, my extended family and church friends are on the other side, in a much darker palette of cloth, all singing their hearts out. They know all the hymns by heart. For them, this is probably the happiest day of their lives. Meanwhile, I'm doing my best not to just look petrified with no one else up here but the priest in his ornate, white vestments with golden inlay.

He seemed to ignore me as he led the assembly in the song, then went on to speak about love of God and family. It was almost mesmerizing, watching him speak, because of the way his thick white beard seemed to quiver when he got particularly zealous. Of course I knew Father Neema and his long-faded Indian accent for as long as I'd been alive. He'd been our pastor seemingly forever, but it was different seeing him like this. After one of the prayers, he finally gave me a reassuring nod and smile. It was going to all be okay. He'd have met my soon-wife before the service. He must know we'd be okay together, at the very least.

I'd been guessing for the last six months who my future wife would be or what she'd be like, at the very least. But all morning the hypothesizing had gone into overdrive. Of course, there were the worst-case scenarios: my parents could have chosen some really unfortunate woman I had less than zero attraction to, or some high maintenance, blonde princess that looked nice on the outside but was a mean taskmaster. I'd flipped through a hundred thoughts of all the ways things could go horribly wrong, but I trusted my parents (and God) enough not to do that to me. There were much more likely scenarios.

Somewhere along the way, I'd resolved that one of two women was about to walk down that aisle. The first possibility was that my parents set me up with someone who would clean and cook and pray and raise children all day. Sweet, plain (but nice enough looking), and dull. But predictable. I thought they knew me better than that, but I also thought they'd let me choose my own wife. The second possibility was that they'd set me up with some smart but weird and nerdy girl who's disturbingly into dogs (dogs are fine, by the way, but some women have no chill with their furbabies) and only vaguely attractive when she's not wearing oversized sweats. I wasn't sure which option I preferred.

Not like I had much of a choice in the matter. There was nothing to do but wait. But not for much longer, now.

The final hymn cadences to a close, and in the stuffy silence, I know the bridal processional is next. I know because I committed the order of proceedings to memory. The priest's old voice lifts with his hands, "All rise!" Finally!

The organ begins a new and ornate prelude, and the assembled crowd clamors to the feet with the coordination of fifth-graders. But that's not what I'm thinking about. I'm not thinking about anything. My eyes are glued to the far end of the aisle.

At last, I saw her.

I briefly wonder why her dress isn't white, then realize it is: the stained glass windows cast a kaleidoscope of color across the fitted and layered lace gown. Naturally, every last bit of skin is covered. That includes a pair of white gloves and a white veil I wonder how she can see out of. There is some good news. The dress fits well to her slim waist, or at least it's tailored to flatter her shape. I can't really tell if she's short or tall even, the long dress and my elevation masking that. She's probably wearing heels under all that fabric anyway.

Much more than that, I can't really tell. She holds a bouquet of roses and orchids to her chest, so the only other thing I can see clearly is the shape of her arms, with the long sleeves actually fitted and somewhat snug. They're arms, I guess? I put it together: she must be relatively thin, or she'd have bigger arms. She starts walking up the handful of steps to join me by the priest.

She, and the music, come to a stop, and I suddenly realize I have butterflies in my stomach. All this time, I'd been dreading marrying some overweight dumptruck horror of a woman, but now it's something completely different. Now she's on the same level as me, I can work out a bit more. She's definitely tall and lithe, but the thing that strikes me most of all is how absolutely wonderful she smells.

It's a gentle, almost spicy smell. Not Christmas spice, something more savory than that. Now that she's closer, I can make out the vague outline of her face, and even better I can see a couple locks of near-black hair. I suddenly realize her hands are held out in front of her. I'd almost forgotten the cue! I take her hands, feeling the warmth of her fingers radiating through the satin gloves. There's a gentleness there that makes my heart beat faster, and a calm that puts me to shame.

I notice her dress is something really special, now I can see it up close. The fit blended a fitted, lacey torso and arms with a simple and elegant A-line skirt. It oozed modest tradition with a fashionable, modern twist. Literally - the lace patterns wrapped around her chest and shoulders in a clever asymmetry, creating an illusion of a neckline, and that the dress was more racy than it really was. It was an interesting detail. One that told me that the woman I was about to marry really knew how to dress, and that she liked to push boundaries. It's all a massive surprise.

The sermon keeps going, but I'm not really listening. I just listen to my heart thud, feeling the warmth of her hands in mine. I was deeply aware I had absolutely no experience with women. Dating was completely forbidden, lest I be tempted away from my future wife. I knew lots from the biology books and from the church's surprisingly extensive sexual education classes plus the occasional sanitized internet search, but that was it. No practical experience (not even a kiss), no raunchy locker-room talk, and certainly no porn. The one time I got caught staring at a women's fashion magazine as a teen, dad put the fear of god in me.

It wasn't like women were property, though - quite the opposite. Respect for women was a big thing in my household and church. There were a fair number of strong and independent women in my congregation, taking positions of church leadership just as often as the men. My mom and two sisters were strong and sharp, a force of nature each in their own right. My youngest sister and I were like best friends, and many of her friends I considered to be my friends too. I knew how to treat women with respect and humanity, regardless of what society might want us to do. But this was different. Never before had any thoughts even remotely approached the topic of sex with someone who was standing right in front of me.

I was mortified at the thought that's something this stranger and I were supposed to do together. Surely the thought had occurred to everyone watching us get married right now. Oh, it was exciting to be sure, but holy shit was it scary! Would she even want to be with me physically? She had to be just as terrified as me! Well, I suppose she knows what I look like now - maybe fifteen minutes before I know what she looks like. It's hell wondering if she's standing there, repulsed. So much so, I completely miss the shadow of a tiny smile behind her veil as I stare numbly at our hands. I very nearly miss saying my vows too.

The priest coughed. Right!

I swallowed, hard. "In the name of God..." My voice trembled. I take a breath. That's better. "In the name of God, I, James, take you, Elena, to be my wife, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, until parted by death."

She removes a glove as I take the ring and place it on her finger.

"And you, Elena?" The priest continues.

"In the name of God, I, Elena, take you, James, to be my husband," She sounds so much more confident than I did. I realize now it's the first time I've heard her speak. It's a pleasantly smooth alto with a lyric lilt to it. "To have and to hold from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, until parted by death."

I held my hand out, watching the gold band go onto my finger. It felt awkward. Cold. It dawned on me just now. I'm married!

"You may kiss the bride."

My heart nearly burst from all the adrenaline pumping through me. This was it. Oh god, please don't let her hate me or think I'm ugly. Please don't let her be ugly!

I cautiously lifted the veil, and leaned in trying not to look or to think about it too much just in case she was riddled with warts or something. A warm little wet spot pressed against my lips, soft and gentle - like her hands. There was applause, but I almost didn't hear it. This was my first kiss! And it was shockingly nice, too! I want it to go on longer, but prudence demands otherwise. There's family and God to attend to, so her lips leave mine.

I pull back, and see her. She's looking back at me with a funny little smile as she properly pulls her veil back. I blink, almost not trusting my eyes. She's not ugly, thank god! Wait. She's not ugly at all...

She's actually gorgeous. A stunning, intimidating beauty.

I was right about her black hair - it's long, thick, silky, and everywhere. It has a little bit of a curl to it that's been forced to relax into more of a wave. That probably took a while. Her skin is a sort of dusky, light golden-brown. Her eyes are brown too, but dark pools that seem to look into my soul. Her eyebrows are perfect black slashes and her lips a little thin too, red with lipstick. Her cheeks carried a hint of color, and her jawline had a bit of strength and sharpness to it. I thought she looked like an actress. It was almost even more terrifying to finally see her than to not see - she hadn't been anything I'd expected.

I'm pretty sure my mouth dropped open. My thoughts turn on the point of a drawing compass. Had she expected me? Would she want me? To save myself embarrassment, I look away as quickly as possible. A mistake, as I'd learn later.

--

We're not Catholic. Probably not any other denomination of Christian you've ever heard of before for that matter. Although, that would be an easy mistake to make, seeing as my parent's congregation bought a grand, old, buttressed-stone cathedral off of the Catholics a couple decades back when the local church had one of the periodic priestly scandals you hear about in the news. My parents never failed to comment on how if Catholic priests were not only allowed but required to marry (like our clergy), it would have never happened. In their minds, the grand building coming to our congregation was God's way of rewarding our faith.

In comparison to Catholicism, ours is quite a liberal religion. Okay, that comparison sucks - a lot of religions are liberal compared to Catholicism.

Let me put it this way: I've never seen anyone in my church not love every person who walked in the door wanting to know more. Lots of pomp and mysticism and fervent worship of God, sure, but we were taught women were equal to men (though not necessarily the same) and to love gays like brothers and sisters in Christ. We don't just say those things either. We brought a woman and her wife into our church leadership a couple years after I got married because she was such a talented speaker.

The funny thing? Theirs was an arranged marriage too.

Marriage is a huge deal for my religion. Okay, that's the understatement of the year. For us, marriage is the second most important thing in life only after God himself, and before your own children while the Church itself comes in at a distant fourth place. We're taught that loving your spouse is loving him. That married life teaches you about the nature of God and his love for us. That's why having the right partner can't be left to something so chaotic as feelings and hormones.

Not all marriages in my church are arranged. In fact, less than half are - it's usually a choice rather than a familial imposition. That still makes it much far more prevalent than in any other denominations. We didn't judge others, but lots of people judge us for our beliefs around the practice.

My parents are super old-school. Their marriage was arranged, so mine was going to be too, and that was that! I thought that, somehow, after I graduated college and got a job this last year that finally they'd see me as a full grown man capable of making my own decisions. Or, at the very least, they could have allowed me some input on who I'd marry rather than going with the most traditional practice our faith had and the way it allowed zero information.

Apparently not.

--

"So, Elena..." I start awkwardly. We'd been ushered into a tiny little bible school room after the recessional. It was stuffed with stacked chairs, coloring implements for children, and a thousand other churchy knick-knacks, cluttered in every corner. It smells like old people. "Nice to finally meet you." I smile a little. We might have ten minutes before the pastor returns.

"Nice to meet you too, James." She said, a little smile peeking back at me. God, she's pretty.

A second of silence, as I fumble with my suit. I try some conversation. "We only have a minute, but I really want to get to know each other. I don't think I know anything other than your name."

She smiled a little more. "I know. Strange, isn't it?" She paused. "You start. What do you want to ask?"

I thought for a moment, relieved she seemed calmer than me about all this, if only slightly. I know my heart is still racing. "I guess the basics would be good. Work, hobbies, family, that kind of thing."

"Well, I'll be a junior in college in Fall, so no work. I'm studying philosophy and biology. I'm thinking about going to law school. What about you?" She returned the question.

I caught myself holding my suit closed awkwardly. Gorgeous and smart? It took everything not to keep staring at my shoes, praying she didn't think poorly of me. She must be only twenty to my twenty-three. I should have expected a bit of an age difference, but having a college girl suddenly in my life now was still odd. What would her classmates think? Our arrangement was way outside the norm. "I graduated just over a year ago, civil engineering and architecture. I'm an associate architect at a medium-sized firm downtown."

"That's cool! Can I see any of your designs?"

"Sure, I've got a couple portfolio renders on my phone." The question helps me relax a little, putting my brain in work mode, rather than oh-God-please-don't-let-her-hate-me mode. I pull out my phone, and find the pictures in a couple taps. I turn the phone and start swiping. I paused on one of my better pieces. "This is one of my favorites. I don't get to do bridges very often, so I wanted to try something special. A little wild almost."

She pulled close and stared for a moment. "It almost looks alive, the way it's twisting. It's very colorful, almost delicate looking..."

"Yeah, I wanted it to look like a bundle of vines with flowers. I incorporated some high-tensile materials so I could achieve that effect. More expensive, but better for the environment, actually. It might last the better part of a thousand years with minimal maintenance."

"Wow, that's really cool." Her arm pressed against mine a little. "I like it. So you get to be artistic and an engineer?"

I pulled away, afraid she might not want my touch. I put the phone back in my pocket, opening the distance again. "Yeah, it is pretty fun like that. I want to get a master's degree, or maybe start my own firm after I get more experience. More chances to do something unique." I paused, looking at her for only a moment. "What about you? Law school's a big plan. You have a practice area in mind?"

"Too many." She smiles a little bit again, but there's a tinge of something else there. "I've thought about all of it. Criminal justice, civil stuff, environmental, corporate, tribal... I originally got into it because I was interested in immigration law, though."

"Wow." Honestly, I'm blown away. "Why immigration law?"

"My dad nearly got deported when I was a little kid. He's not illegal, but he didn't have permanent citizenship yet. Super smart lawyer helped him out, and I always wanted to pay it forward for other families."

"That's incredible. I bet you'll be amazing, whatever you decide."

"Thanks." She tucks a piece of hair behind an ear. She looks a little nervous, or maybe flushed.

I look away again, trying not to stare and make it worse. "Where's your dad from?"

"Colombia."

"Wow." Somehow she's reduced my vocabulary to one word. "Your mom too?"

"No, she's from Mexico. They got married here."

That explained the tiny musical lilt in her otherwise perfect American English and the gorgeous light-brownish tone to her flawless skin, not to mention her stupefying beauty. I hadn't expected to be marrying a latina woman at all. Hopefully that won't present too many cultural problems, since she was born and raised in the States. "You'll have to tell me that story sometime." I'm helplessly gobsmacked by every new thing I learn about my wife. "You speak Spanish?"

"Claro que sí. ¿Y tú?" She asks with a hint of playful offense. Obviously she speaks Spanish, duh. I understand well enough.

"No, sadly. I took German pretty seriously for two years in college, hoping to study abroad. I couldn't make it happen, and now I've forgotten pretty much everything," I answer, the corners of my lips dragged down by a bit of sadness at plans I'd worked at for years only to have dashed when scholarship funding fell through.

123456...8