An Undeniable Love

Story Info
He denied his Amish community to find an undeniable love.
18.5k words
4.58
3.6k
2
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Emma had inherited her grandmother's house three months ago. She would have preferred to have her grandmother still. They had always been close despite the fact that her father had left the Amish community when he was seventeen. Emma had spent summers with her grandmother for much of her childhood. It was a novel and fun experience for a young girl.

Those summer days were filled with life lessons. Her grandmother, Martha, taught her how to garden, can vegetables, read and bake. Martha was Amish and fully embedded into the Amish community in Holmes County in Ohio. She took Emma to church and community functions. Emma learned to fit in and get along with people who were different from herself.

Martha loved Emma, of course, but she also genuinely liked her as a person. They both accepted each other without question. So, Emma grew up with a sense of herself as a complete entity. She didn't seek approval from others. She accepted others for who they were. She could usually see what motivated others and what desires enriched and what desires choked their true spirit. If she could provide a positive to a person that they had missed in their development as a person, she would. It was easy to provide what others needed when Martha had provided everything her spirit needed.

Martha had made sure that Emma experienced the Amish community as an extended member, but she never insisted that Emma adopt their beliefs and ways. She recognized that Emma was a free spirit who would live by her own beliefs and rules. Martha had encouraged creativity in Emma. Since creativity is the highest form of intelligence, she knew that it was a birth rite of her smart little granddaughter.

Martha and Emma would join the other Amish females to work on quilts that would be gifted to community members or sold to profit their internal charity work. Although the Amish chose to wear a few basic colors in solids, their quilts would include fabrics of all patterns and colors. They were works of art that gave the women and girls a sense of accomplishment and pride.

As Emma entered the house that was once Martha's, she missed her grandmother. Martha had always been her best friend. As she grew up and became a teenager, she visited Martha for a week here and there, but the entire summer was no longer possible with all of her school activities.

Emma had managed to give the house a fresh coat of paint on the inside, but the remodeling of the kitchen and bath would need to be completed later as money enabled it. She kept a few pieces of furniture from Martha that would always be dear to her.

In the back yard, there was a workshop that her grand-father had built for his woodworking. Emma was turning it into a pottery studio. A new waterproof floor and ventilation system was being installed so that Emma could continue her pottery business. She was hoping to contract with a few of the stores to carry her work. It would be traditional salt glaze pottery that would be a fitting product to be sold in the Amish towns that drew so many tourists.

She was settled into the house and needed to stock the cupboards. She stopped at a farmer's market on the way and bought fresh produce. At the grocery, she bought the essentials and some quick meals. On her way out, she bumped into an Amish man.

"I'm terribly sorry. I wasn't looking where I was going. I..." She stopped short when she registered what a handsome man she was babbling to.

"That's quite alright. Do you need help?"

One of the bags was slipping from her arms.

"I guess I do. That's very kind."

On the way to her car, she explained, "I just moved into my house and my mind is on too many things."

"You bought a house around here?"

"I inherited it from my Grandma actually."

"Who was she?"

"Martha Rausch. The house is on route 587."

The man let out a chuckle. "We are neighbors. I'm sorry about Martha. She was a good woman. I probably would have met you at the funeral, but I was out of town. I'm Caleb. Caleb Miller."

"Hello. Martha spoke of you. You were very kind to her. Thank you for that."

She opened the trunk and put her bags in. When she closed the trunk, they both leaned against it as they talked.

"I'm up on the hill in the log cabin. If you ever need anything, please let me know. Here. Let me give you my phone number."

"Here. Go ahead a enter it into my phone. You have a phone? You're not Amish?"

"I was raised Amish. My mother and father live a couple miles down the road. I didn't join the church."

"Ah. I guess that explains it."

"Well, if you need anything or just want to talk, you have my number."

"Thank you, Caleb. I'll remember that."

Emma watched him walk back into the grocery store. He was tall and broad shouldered. He had dark hair and blue eyes. She should have realized that he wasn't Amish when she saw he had a mustache and no beard. He was very handsome. Martha had liked him very much. He would assist her with odd jobs and stop in and check on her. It wasn't an Amish obligation. It was a Caleb thing. It was Caleb being kind.

Emma made her way home and proceeded to make a dish in the pressure cooker of potatoes, green beans, onion and ham. She had picked up some fresh bread. She sliced and buttered a chunk of bread, spooned up some of the vegetables and ham into a broad flat bowl and took her meal to the front porch.

As she sat on the front porch and ate, a truck turned into her drive. Caleb got out of the cab.

"Sorry to intrude. I saw you on the porch and realized that I had forgotten to ask you something. Do you by chance like dogs?"

"Yes, I do."

"I have a Golden Retriever who just had a litter of the most adorable pups you've every seen. Would you have an interest?"

"Yes I would. I have a question. Do you like green beans, potatoes and ham?"

"Yes, I do."

"I just made a crock full. Can I get you a bowl?"

"Would there be a chunk of buttered bread to accompany it?"

"I think I can manage that," Emma answered with a smirk. "Follow me."

Emma led him into the kitchen. She gave him a bowl and told him to help himself. She tore off a chunk of bread and buttered it.

"What would you like to drink? I have water, milk and iced tea."

"Iced tea, please."

They took their food back out to the porch.

"It's as if Martha is here. I've shared this same dish with her on the porch before."

Surprised, Emma answered with a laugh. And then her eyes filled with tears.

"I'm sorry. I loved her so much. And I miss her, a lot," Emma explained.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to make you sad."

"It's fine. The feelings are there. And sometimes, they bubble to the surface. I'm sorry to make you feel uncomfortable."

"I share your feelings. Martha was remarkable. I used to come here and talk to her about my decision to not join the church. She was very supportive of me. I sensed that she would care for me whichever decision I made. I needed that."

"Yes. That's Grandma. I grew up with her support and love. She treated me like a whole person even when I was small."

"What made you leave Peninsula and come to live in Charm? I mean, I know that she left you the house. But surely, it was a difficult decision."

"Yes and no. Peninsula is a great little town, but I was pretty isolated there. I knew that I wouldn't actually fit into the Amish community here, but I would have Martha here and there are certainly other non-Amish people in the area. Did I make a mistake?"

"No. You didn't. The Amish just want you to respect their way of life. They do occasionally let outsiders into their lives. Especially if they are respectful. They loved Martha. You have that in your favor. And you have me as a friend if you want."

"Yes. I'd like that very much. I think that Martha would like that too."

"She actually really wanted us to meet."

"Really?"

"Yes. She used to say that we were both free spirits who would get along."

"How did your parents react to your decision to not join the church?"

"Not well at first. But they realized that I wasn't moving away and that I still wanted to be a part of the family."

"I'm assuming that their reaction is more broad-minded than the norm."

"Yes, just so. They saw some of their friends' children, leave the community entirely and they figured that my life choice wasn't so bad. This is good, by the way. Thank you."

"Thanks. Martha taught me to cook and bake. My Mom is a professional and it's hard to do everything."

"Martha taught me a little bit about cooking as well. It was better than asking my mother. She would have told me to get a wife."

"So, what do you do for work?"

"I'm an artisan. I do artistic woodworking."

"That's fantastic. I'm an artisan too. I create wheel thrown pottery."

"I know. Martha shared some of your work with me. It's beautiful."

"Thank you."

"I'm converting the workshop out back to a pottery studio. I'd love to see your work sometime."

"I can show you some when you come to see the puppies. I'd bring them here, but there are six of them and they are starting to become very mobile."

"Oh, I can't wait to see them. I'll bet they are adorable. I love Golden Retrievers. How old are they?"

"Six weeks. And you would win that bet."

They laughed. They took their dishes to the sink and Emma put the food away.

"It feels good to be in Martha's house again."

"Ditto," Emma said.

"So, when do you want to see the puppies?"

"As soon as possible; at your convenience, of course."

"Okay. How about now?"

"Perfect! Let me comb my hair."

As they walked out the door, Caleb suggested that they take his truck. He would bring her back. His cabin was literally a hundred meters down the road and up on a hill that she could see from her back yard. When they pulled up to the cabin, Emma could hear a dog bark from an out building.

"They're over there in my workshop."

He unlocked the door and waited for her to go through. In a shallow wooden box that was padded with newspapers, was the awaited marvel of one gorgeous Golden Retriever dog and her six fluff balls of puppies. The momma was happy to see Caleb and the pups were busy with their explorations.

"Hi Maggie! How are you doing, girl?"

When Caleb looked at Emma, he saw the biggest smile on her face. She was literally glowing with excitement. They fell to their knees to admire the litter. They were each golden and cute, but not identical. The largest one was as clumsy as the rest, but more thoughtful and deliberate in its movements. The next largest was boisterous and very vocal. The next largest had longer ears. The next was fond of chewing and scratching. The next was more interested in the humans and the smallest was busy nursing.

Emma picked up the one that was interested in the humans. It was a boy with bright shiny eyes and the desire to give kisses. "I would really like this one. How much do I owe you?"

"That was quick. Are you sure?"

"Yes. Do you have string or a collar I can distinguish him with?"

"Yes. I have some red ribbon. Give me a second."

He brought the ribbon over to the box with some scissors.

"This will do for now, but we should get him a little collar. The string could be chewed and broken too easily."

"Will you be keeping a pup?"

"I've thought about it. I shouldn't, but it really is tempting."

"You didn't tell me how much I owe you."

"It doesn't feel right, taking money from you."

"It doesn't feel right taking this beautiful puppy from you without giving you something in return."

"Well, we'll figure something out. Maybe we'll take it out in trade. I'm not worried about it."

Emma was busy kissing, smelling and petting her puppy. "I think I'll name him Jack."

"He's a fine little fellow."

"I hope you won't mind if I visit him in the next two weeks."

"You're welcome here anytime."

"Thank you. You as well. I mean, you're welcome at my place at any time."

"You might not get rid of me."

Emma laughed. "So much for feeling lonely."

"Have you been feeling lonely?"

"A little bit. Some of it is grief for Martha. And some of it is just being in a new place and not knowing anyone."

"Well you know me and Jack. I'll introduce you to my sister and her family and my folks."

"Hey. You were going to show me your work."

Emma put Jack back into the box and followed Caleb. They walked around the workshop as Caleb talked to her about his work. There were plenty of workshops in the area that produced functional pieces. Caleb's pieces would become family heirlooms in the future. He had created ornate clocks, lamp tables. Chess sets, kitchen islands, and columns to name a few. Some of the pieces had carved elements, some combined different woods and some used wood turning to create elegant shapes.

"Oh, Caleb! You aren't an artisan. You are an artist."

"I don't know about that."

"I do. It is true. You're brilliant."

"Come on. Let's see what Jack is doing."

They returned to the puppies. Emma picked up one of the puppies, but Jack wouldn't have it. He barked and howled at Emma until she exchanged the puppy for him. Caleb and Emma laughed at his antics.

"If I were to keep a puppy, which one should I choose?"

"Lean in close to them and see which one shows you the most interest."

Caleb followed her suggestion. The largest puppy came up to him and lept at the side of the box to get him to pick her up. Caleb picked her up. The puppy was a female and she seemed very content in his arms.

"I think that one has chosen you."

"She is a sweetheart." Caleb rose to find some blue ribbon from his work shelf. He cut the ribbon and tied it around the little girl. "Mind you, I am still thinking on it."

"Yeh, right. Like you or anyone could resist that face."

Caleb responded, "Your face is pretty irresistible too."

Emma laughed. "Flatterer." She gazed into his eyes and glanced down at is finely sculpted and delectable lips. Caleb leaned in and gave her a sweet, innocent kiss. Emma responded and the kiss was deepened. The puppies wanted their full attention and started climbing on them to join in on the fun.

"It seems we have chaperones."

"Indeed."

After talking for a while, Emma kissed Jack goodbye. Caleb drove her home and said that he would see her soon. He reminded her she was welcome to visit Jack or him anytime she wanted.

"Thank you, Caleb. I don't know when I've had so much fun."

The next morning, Emma drove into town to get a collar and leash. She picked up another set for Caleb's pup. While she was out, she picked up some fruits, salad ingredients and dressing. As she was going home, she passed Caleb on the road. He turned around and followed her home.

"Hi, how's it going?" Caleb asked.

"Fine. How are you? Are you hungry?"

"That's a silly question. The answer is always yes."

"I have salad fixings and fruit. If you help me put it together, I'll feed you."

"Yes, mam. Put me to work."

They worked well in the kitchen together. Without asking for directions, Caleb instinctively knew what needed to be done. Emma prepped the fruit and asked what he would like in his salad. They agreed on blueberries and strawberries. Emma went to the back deck and started the grill.

"Oh, I should have asked. Do you eat meat?"

"Yes, I do."

"I've got a couple of steaks we can grill. We can cut them up, put some on the salad and freeze the rest for thawing when needed."

"I like the way you think."

"I have a couple of different vinaigrette dressings, hope you like one of them."

"I'm not picky."

Emma handed Caleb grilling tongs to start the steaks. She set the table. Poured drinks and went out to the back deck to keep him company.

"How is my son?"

"Fit as a fiddle."

"Oh, I almost forgot." Emma handed him the bag from the store with the collars and leashes.

Caleb looked inside. "Oh, you're so sure I will be keeping a pup, huh?"

"Just in case."

"Maybe I could be persuaded," he said as he leaned in to kiss her.

Emma kissed him back.

"I'm going to need more persuading than that," he chuckled.

"It's just one little ole puppy," she whispered in his ear.

"You are trouble. That's what you are. How do you want these cooked?"

"Medium for the one. How do you like your steak?"

"Medium is fine."

"Do you need a knife to check?"

"No, I can tell by the firmness."

Emma hugged him from behind. She started to massage his shoulders. "Does this help with your decision?"

Caleb laughed. "It feels good, that's for sure."

She hugged him tight and heard him let out a moan.

"Did I hurt you?"

"Of course not. It just felt too good if you know what I mean."

Emma let him go and looked at his face. "What?"

"I'm a breast man if you must know. You were pressing your breasts into my back."

Emma laughed. "Really?"

He shrugged in his embarrassment.

"And if I were to hug you from the front?"

"I would probably end up burning these steaks."

"Can't have that. I'll let you concentrate."

When Caleb brought the steaks in, she told them they needed to rest before cutting them for the salads. He hugged her from behind. She could feel his erection against her buttocks. She let her breath out slowly.

"Touche. I happen to be a cock woman."

"You say the most romantic things," he said with a chuckle.

They enjoyed their lunch and Caleb said he needed to get back to work.

Emma received her clay order. Her studio was set up and she was ready to work. She took her phone and speaker out to the workshop. She toted a large bucket of water into the shop since it hadn't been plumbed yet. She started out with a creamer and covered sugar bowl. She made some serving size bowls, a large pitcher and a couple of crocks. She had lost track of time and was brought back to earth when there was a knock on the studio door.

Caleb poked his head into the shop. "Emma? Are you out here?"

"Yes. Come on in." She washed her hands in the bucket and dried them on a towel. She shut the music off so she could hear him.

"Wow, I didn't know you were already set up to work. That's great. Did you make all of this today?"

"Yes. I came out here after you left."

"You're fast. The work is really good."

"Doesn't look like much at this stage, but it will eventually. What time is it?"

"Five o'clock or so. I was coming to see if you wanted to go into town for dinner."

"I don't want to make you wait. I would need a shower and change of clothes.

Emma returned, showered and reappeared in jeans and a white shirt. Her golden hair was pulled back into a low ponytail. Hoop earrings were her only adornment besides a pale pink lip gloss.

He stood and said, "You look pretty."

"Aren't you sweet."

Caleb angled his head to give her a kiss.

She deepened the kiss and put her arms around him. She heard him groan and say, "You're killing me."

She laughed. "Let's go to dinner."

They went into Charm to the local restaurant. Being a small town, they all knew Caleb. But they were apparently very curious about the beautiful young woman who was with him. Some said hello while others merely stared.

"We seem to be naked," Emma joked.

"Please, I'm trying to be a gentleman with you."

"That must be exhausting work."

"It is. Shut up woman, lest you push me too far."

Emma giggled at his dramatics.

Caleb leaned in and whispered in her ear, "Paybacks are a bitch."

"Is that dirty talk in Amish speak?"

"You'll find out."

"Careful, you don't want me to lose my appetite and make you take me...er, home."

"Are you hungry? Or are you hungry?"

"Oh, I am hungry indeed. Very."

Caleb leaned in again to whisper into her ear. But he bit her earlobe instead. "So am I."

After that, they tried to keep their conversation on a safer level. They both talked about what they had worked on that day.

Afterward, Caleb drove them back to his place. They both headed for the workshop. Emma walked over to the puppies and sat on the floor in front of them. She picked up Jack and cuddled him close. She kissed him and whispered words of love and encouragement to him.