An Unexpected Distraction Pt. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Steven paused with confusion flooding his brain. "I don't understand."

"I was going to do this anyway. In just a few weeks," Jenny replied. She continued after she let Steven absorb what she had said. "That's right. It wasn't going to work. I planned it this way."

"So. You'll do it?" Steven asked.

"Absolutely. Besides, I like Theresa. I want her to have a good time, and, I want to be there to see it. Keep me informed."

Chapter 230

"Have you spoken with Katie recently?"

"Yes, Katie and Joe are getting along nicely. She thinks she's in love with him. Isn't that wonderful? Just like us," Theresa replied.

"Really?" Steven asked.

"Yeah! She's wearing blue jeans, plaid shirts, and work boots every day. Mr. Bonds is working her every day with the cotton harvest on other people's land so he can make money. He pays her to help. She loves it. When she isn't driving a tractor and boll buggy, she's working at the cotton gin. She says it is the best adventure she has ever had, and Joe is icing on the cake," Theresa chirped.

"Wow, I didn't see that coming. Katie... A farmer," he mused.

"OK... Enough about Katie. I want to talk to you about something. Something you've been waiting for," Theresa chirped.

"OK."

With a sly look and gaze, she said, "I want to invite you to my birthday party."

"FINALLY! I've been waiting months for this! I thought you were going to leave me out. You certainly waited long enough!" he barked.

She gut laughed.

"Momma called. My birthday is on Saturday, January 6th and she wants to have it at her house. She also wants us to come for Christmas. Do you think we can do both?" she asked.

"Absolutely," he said, with a sly tone. "I've already made arrangements for both of us. We're flying on both occasions. You did get off from work for Christmas and your birthday. Right?"

"Of course, I did. Wait a minute!" Theresa paused and frowned. "Steven! I'm so embarrassed. I don't know what's happened to me. When is 'your' birthday? Oh, Steven. I'm sorry. Have I missed your birthday?"

Steven smiled and answered, "No... You haven't missed my birthday."

"Well? Tell me when," she demanded.

"Do you trust me, Theresa?" he asked.

"What's going on? Why won't you tell me your birthday?' she barked.

"You need to trust me. When the time is right, I will tell you my birthday. And... You will know why I don't want to tell you now," he replied.

Theresa furled her brow, crossed her arms, and tilted her head.

"I could sneak a peek at your driver license when you aren't looking," she mused.

"Yes, you could. I would ask you not to do it... Please," he replied.

"I wish I knew what is going on inside your head right now," she chirped.

Steven grinned a huge grin.

"I thought you were a Jedi Knight."

Chapter 231

"Steven... Would you come to the kitchen and help me, please?"

"Yes, Ma'am. Right away," Steven replied.

Steven followed Mrs. Quinn into the kitchen.

"The potatoes are over in the pantry and the peeler is in that drawer by the refrigerator," she instructed.

Steven was in the kitchen with Mrs. Quinn, Elizabeth, and Maureen. The three of them were preparing the Christmas meal. All three were smiling as Steven entered. As Steven began peeling the potatoes, Mrs. Quinn spoke.

"Theresa came to me last night and we had a long talk." Mrs. Quinn stopped to gauge his reaction, then continued, "A mother can tell when her daughter is so in love with a man, she wants to spend her life with him. I've had practice with Elizabeth and Maureen."

"Yes, Ma'am," Steven replied.

"Would you be willing to reassure me with your feelings for Theresa?" Ms. Quinn asked.

"Yes, Ma'am. I will." Steven stopped peeling potatoes, then continued, "I love Theresa like I've never loved anyone before. Spending my life with her has entered my mind on more than one occasion. And each day we are together, I think of it more often. I've considered talking to Theresa about our life together. However, I want the occasion to be special for both of us. An occasion to remember. Perhaps, to retell to our children and grandchildren." He paused, then continued, "The time has not yet arrived for that special moment. I promise you, and Theresa's sisters here in this kitchen, the time will come."

Mrs. Quinn approached Steven and held him in her arms. Resting her head on his chest. Steven returned her affections, and, was amazed her embrace felt eerily like Theresa's embrace.

"Thank you, Steven. You've made a mother very happy today. It's a wonderful Christmas gift," she said.

Elizabeth and Maureen were weeping tears of happiness.

Then, Theresa entered the kitchen.

"What's going on? Steven! What did you do?"

Chapter 232

"You're not going to believe who is walking up to the house!"

Katie had just squealed an alert to everyone in the Quinn home. Theresa bolted from the kitchen to see who it was.

"Oh, My God!" she squealed.

Everyone in the house came into the living room to see what the commotion was all about. Theresa and Katie took up positions near the front door.

Then, the door opened.

"Melinda!" Theresa and Katie squealed simultaneously. Theresa embraced Melinda and then Katie took her turn.

Michael stepped through the door immediately behind Melinda.

"Michael! Why didn't you tell us?" Theresa barked, as she hugged his neck hard.

"We weren't ready. Now we are," he replied.

Melinda held Theresa's hand and said, "We weren't sure ourselves. At first, we didn't have anything in common, but, the more we talked and were together, we came to know each other better. Michael asked me this past week if we could be boyfriend, girlfriend. So... Here we are."

All four Quinn sisters squealed.

Michael then took Melinda's hand and led her to Mrs. Quinn. "Momma... You remember Melinda? We are dating and I asked her to spend Christmas with us. Later, we will go to her parents' home."

"Melinda, Sweetie. Welcome to our home. I'm happy for the two of you," Mrs. Quinn said, as she took Melinda into her arms for a hug.

"Thank you, Mrs. Quinn, for having me in your home. Is there anything I can do to help?" Melinda asked.

"Yes... You can be Michael's girlfriend today and let his sisters dote over you," she giggled.

With that, Theresa and Katie yelped. Each sister grabbed Melinda's hand and pulled her to the living room couch.

"Tell us everything!" Katie barked.

"Your brother has swept me off my feet. I didn't cooperate at first, but, he is persistent."

Chapter 233

"Melinda and Michael are a cute couple."

Steven chuckled and said, "Yes... They are."

The love birds were watching Melinda and Michael leave the house.

Steven then said, "Is it just me, or is the height difference between the two... um... How do I say this and be... tactful?"

Theresa started laughing and then said, "There's no tact! It's the first thing you notice about them! Melinda is 5 feet 1 inch on her tallest day and Michael is 6 feet 2 inches."

"The two of you stop it, right now!" Mrs. Quinn barked with a smile. "They will get along, just fine. I feel it."

Sean started laughing and said, "I hope Michael doesn't turn around and step on her like a bug!"

Theresa was on Sean like a lightning bolt, grabbed the skin on the back of his arm with her thumb and forefinger, and nearly twisted it off. "SEAN! THAT'S AWFUL!"

"YEEEEOOOOOOOHH! OK! I'M SORRY!" yelped Sean, while he held the back of his arm with his other hand.

Steven couldn't help himself. He was laughing uncontrollably.

Theresa swung around and glared at Steven with vengeance. "Do you want some of what I just gave Sean?!"

Steven straightened up and shook his head. But, a chuckle leaked out.

Theresa came after him.

Steven grinned widely, dodged her attempted assault, and maneuvered toward the couch. Theresa swung around and made a second attempt at Steven. When she was close enough, Steven grabbed her arm and shouldered her into the couch... Gently, of course. Pinning her down in a reclining position.

Theresa struggled to free herself from Steven's pin.

Katie stepped in and asked, "What are you two doing?" Joe was watching, too.

With a smug tone, Steven said, "Did you really think you could successfully remove my flesh, knowing I've trained to defend myself from the likes of you?"

Theresa growled and replied.

"You better have eyes in the back of your head, Steven Bonds! When I'm done with you, you'll be squealing like a little girl!

Chapter 234

"Merry Christmas, Theresa. I will see you in less than a week and a half for your birthday."

"Merry Christmas, Momma. I'm going to miss you," Theresa replied.

Mrs. Quinn embraced Theresa and whispered.

"I've spoken to Steven. He loves you very much and he feels the same as you do for him. Be patient with him. He has plans for both of you to be very happy."

Chapter 235

"I spoke with Katie and Joe in Kansas City."

"I spoke with both of them, too. At your parents' home. Katie has convinced me she isn't leaving. Only if a horrible disagreement were to occur between the two. She led me to believe she's in love with Joe and Joe is returning his love for her. That's what Joe said to me," Steven replied.

They were on the flight back to Houston from the Christmas holiday.

"I think we should discuss the apartment I'm in. It's too much space and the rent is high for you," Theresa said.

"OK, I could use the extra cash. Would you consider moving into an efficiency like mine? Perhaps the same building," he offered.

"The closet is very small. I'm not sure I could get all of my clothes into it."

Steven closed his eyes and thought it through for a moment.

"With your regular size double bed, there will be room for an armoire along the wall next to the bed. You could put your clothes in there. Would an armoire be interesting for you?" Steven replied.

"Steven, I have never heard you say 'armoire' before. It sounds peculiar coming from your lips. It must be your Texas accent, it's cute, though," she giggled.

"You're making fun of me now, aren't you? You're setting me up to remove my flesh when I least expect it," he mused.

Theresa giggled a little too loudly. The nearby passengers turned to look.

"I think an armoire is a great idea. Can you and I go shopping for one?"

Chapter 236

"I have a surprise for you. For your birthday."

Theresa and Steven were in the kitchen of the Quinn family home. And, all of her family had gathered there to celebrate. Including Katie and Joe. Sarah and Melinda were there, too.

"A surprise?" she asked.

"Yes... And everyone here will enjoy it with you," Steven replied. "Follow me."

Steven led Theresa through the house into the front yard. A large city transit bus was waiting on them.

"A bus? Why?" Theresa asked.

"We are going somewhere special. All of us. Don't ask us where we are going, because it is part of the surprise," Steven mused.

Theresa stepped onto the bus and everyone followed. As the bus pulled away, Theresa considered what a wonderful gift to have Steven, her family, and friends celebrate with her. It was a beautiful day for January. It was unusually warm for Kansas City. In the mid 50s and not a cloud in the sky.

Theresa looked at Katie and wondered why she had a large bag. Katie saw her and barked, "Don't ask! It's part of the surprise!"

Everyone chatted with each other, and with Theresa, while Steven just smiled at her with his sly smile.

She wondered what he was up to.

As they neared their destination, Theresa recognized where they were. She looked at Steven with curiosity in her face. Steven tried to be stone faced, but, was failing miserably.

A moment or two later, the bus stopped in front of Kauffman Stadium. Home of the Kansas City Royals. And on the curb to greet them... Nicky Rogers.

As Theresa stepped off the bus, she was welcomed by Nicky.

"Happy Birthday, Theresa. You, your friends, and family are my guests today. You know Jenny."

"Yes! Hi, Jenny! This is such a surprise. Steven! What?" Theresa yelped.

"Happy Birthday, Theresa," Steven said. "We are going to play baseball against the Royals. Nicky and some of the other players are going to play against us. Three innings, along with batting practice, fielding practice, and autographs. It was Nicky's idea."

"Nicky! Thank you. This is so nice of you," she cried.

"Maybe not so nice," Nicky mused. "You see. Your man here had to pay a price. He had to convince Jenny here, to go out with me on dates until I leave for spring training. I know I'm not the most handsome man and I need a lot of help with the women."

Jenny nodded to Theresa with a huge smile, and said, "Happy Birthday, Theresa."

Theresa leapt into Jenny's arms for a hug. "Thank you, Jenny!"

"OK, everyone. Follow me to the locker room. We're wearing uniforms today."

Chapter 237

"So... What's the story on the women that look like Theresa? I see three of them."

Steven chuckled and replied, "The women are Theresa's sisters. They do look remarkably like each other. I've never seen anything like it. Over there. The older woman, standing by the tall man. That's their mother and father."

Everyone, wearing Royals uniforms, was throwing warm up catches with the Royals players. Theresa had to get really close to Nelson Martin to play catch. She just couldn't throw that well.

"Amazing," Nicky said. "Their mother looks like them, too. Are any of them single?"

Steven laughed a little harder and said, "The older two are married. Their husbands are here. Katie, the youngest, she is getting pretty serious with my brother, Joseph. He is here, too."

"What about the two blondes, over there. The slender one and the short one."

Steven was getting tickled with Nicky's interest in single women.

"They're both single, but, the short one is dating Theresa's brother. The slender one is Sarah. She works at Big Mike's pub located downtown. You see, Big Mike is Theresa's father. The tall man I pointed to a moment ago."

"When the season starts, I may stop by Big Mike's," he said.

"Why aren't you playing catch with Jenny? You went to a lot of trouble to go out with her," Steven asked.

"Steven, I'm not stupid. I know I'm not the most handsome man. Hell, I've walked into rooms sometimes and the women flee in panic. Jenny is the most beautiful woman I've gone out with, but, practically, I know she won't last with me. I just wanted to get some more mileage out of her for the little time I know she will be around. I want her to enjoy the day, too. Interact with the players and have fun."

Chapter 238

"Theresa... Do you see Steven?"

CRACK!

"Yes, I never," Theresa replied, amazed at what she was seeing.

Theresa and Maureen were watching Steven take batting practice. Milton Washington was pitching to Steven. Steven had been spraying hits all over the field and was getting attention from the Royals players. Some of them had gathered around the batting cage to watch.

CRACK!

Nicky walked up to Theresa and said, "I knew he looked like a baseball player. We talked about it at the formal. Watch this."

CRACK!

Theresa and Maureen watched Nicky walk to the mound and say something to Milton. Then he walked back to Theresa and Maureen.

CRACK!

"What did you say to him?" Maureen asked.

"I told him to dial it up until he can't hit them anymore. And to mix in changes ups and curve balls," Nicky replied.

CRACK!

Theresa saw one of the players with a radar gun and was talking to an older man in street clothes.

CRACK!

Joe came over with Katie and said to the sisters, "They don't know what they just found. I saw what Nicky did. Steven will hit everything Milton gives him."

CRACK!

"But he hasn't played since high school," Theresa cried.

CRACK!

"Doesn't matter. Steven's a natural. He doesn't need to practice," Joe replied.

CRACK!

Steven was spraying base hits at will. Anywhere he wanted to put them.

CRACK!

Then... His time was up and Steven stepped out to let the next batter have a turn. He was met by the man in street clothes. Theresa saw it and ran over to Steven to say something. When she arrived next to Steven, she listened to the conversation.

"I know, Mr. Todd. But, I have a career with an engineering and construction firm. I'm flattered, but, I'm not interested. I just came here to have fun with my girlfriend on her birthday," Steven said.

"Steven... Please... Take my card. If you change your mind," Mr. Todd sighed, and he walked away to talk to the players. Theresa noticed them nodding and looking at Steven.

"Steven! You were hitting better than Nicky ever did!" Theresa cried.

Then, Joe stepped up, with Katie in hand. "You had to show off, didn't you? I'm telling Mom and Dad what happened."

Steven grinned and said.

"I was just having fun at my girlfriend's birthday party."

Chapter 239

"Steven... What just happened?"

Steven just grinned to Theresa and tried to hold her hand. But, she yanked it away and crossed her arms on her chest. Waiting for an answer.

"I'll tell you what he did. He came out here to insult the Royals," Joe barked.

Theresa stepped in front of Joe, her face awash with confusion.

Steven shook his head at Joe, pleading with him to stop there.

Joe ignored him. "That's right, Theresa. He did it on purpose. For fun. Look at those players over there. They can't take their eyes off him. You know why? Because Steven is now a threat to their jobs. He did it to intimidate them."

Theresa was totally confused. She turned to Steven and said, "I don't understand."

Before Steven could say anything, Joe interrupted. "They could've thrown 95, 98, 100 mile per hour fast balls to him all day, and Steven would put them anywhere he wanted. Throw him a 73 mile per hour change up after a fastball and he will hit it right over the pitcher's head to tell him he can hit it those, too. I saw the radar gun. Steven hit a 102 mile per hour fast ball down the first base line and let it roll around in the corner of right field... on purpose. It would have been an easy triple."

Before Theresa could say anything, Nicky stepped up.

"Impressive, Steven. I don't think I got full disclosure from you the other night at the formal. OK... Fielding practice... Theresa... Do you want to play first base?"

"YESSSSS!"

Chapter 240

"No, you don't!"

Theresa turned to see Nicky step in front of Steven before he got away. Then, Milton took Theresa by the arm and said, "This way. You're going to play first and catch everyone's throws."

When she got to first base, Theresa turned to Steven and Nicky. Nicky was doing all the talking. She yelled at Katie to come over and said, "Go over there to Steven. Find out what they are saying."

Katie nodded and ran over to Steven. When Steven and Nicky broke off from one another, Katie ran back to first base.

"They're bringing an infield in. Steven is going to take fielding practice at third base and the Royals are going to be the infield," she squealed.

Theresa couldn't stand it any longer.

"Take over at first base Katie. Here's my glove."

Theresa marched toward Steven, and he saw her coming. Steven tried to walk in the other direction, but, Theresa started running.

"STOP RIGHT THERE! DON'T YOU DARE MOVE!"

Theresa parked herself right in front of Steven with her arms crossed.

"Is it true? What Joe said? You are really a professional baseball player pretending to be an engineer?" she yelped.

Steven couldn't hold it any longer and let out a gut laugh. Theresa started laughing too and held him close. She looked into his eyes and sighed, "I love you. What else are you hiding from me? Where are your three wives and children?"