An Unexpected Reunion

Story Info
A man, a woman from the past, and unrequited love.
17.5k words
4.72
11.7k
23
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
SirAuthor
SirAuthor
579 Followers

Author's Note: All characters in this story are fictional. Any resemblance to real persons, past or present, is purely coincidental.

PROLOGUE

I met the girl of my dreams when I was a sophomore in high school. She was beautiful, sweet, kind and smart. She came from a well-respected, well-to-do family. She was a cheerleader, honor roll student, and well-liked by all. I, on the other hand, was a gangly, awkward kid, and from the 'wrong side of town', as the saying goes. Of course, she was the girl of every teenage boy's dreams, and unlike me, there were plenty of guys that had a shot at being her beau. As a junior, she dated the president of the honor society; as a senior, she dated the star wide receiver of our football team. By her senior year, Claire was a walking dream, and was the homecoming queen.

By my senior year, I was no longer gangly, had filled out, got some looks, and made the honor roll, myself. But I was still just one the other kids, one of that group that isn't included in the top tier of high school society. I had lettered in wrestling, and took second in state as a senior, but I still wasn't in her league. I did get to know her over time - we shared some classes together, and for a semester in our last year, we were on the school debate team together. And though she was nice to me, she never looked at me like anything but a classmate. I always hoped she would see me in a different light, see me as a possible suitor. I even worked up the nerve to ask her out one time. I remember it like it was yesterday:

"Hey, Claire, you doing anything this weekend?"

"Oh, hey, Jason, yes, I'm going to the lake with some of the gang. We rented a lake house for the weekend. What are you doing?"

"Oh, um, probably working."

"Well, that's too bad. Okay, see you later."

Yep, that was my feeble attempt, the one and only.

I graduated, went on to college; got my Master's in Architecture, and eventually started my own architectural firm. Along the way, I married Denise, whom I also went to high school with, had a son, and became very successful. Denise was a lovely woman, full of life, pretty, smart, a wonderful wife and a great mother. Not that life or our marriage was always idyllic, but we were happy, and life was pretty good, until two years ago. Denise was diagnosed with advanced pancreatic cancer, and it had spread to other organs by the time they discovered it. I lost her four months later, and my world changed dramatically. My son, Tyler, started college that same year, and so, for the first time in 18 years, I was alone in a large house, and had no idea how to deal with my grief, my situation, my loneliness.

I am Jason, 39, 6' tall, 190 pounds, very fit with an average build, if somewhat muscular. I have medium brown hair worn in a standard business cut, and am clean-shaven. I have a reasonably handsome face with medium-brown eyes, and no particularly remarkable features. I'm an avid tennis player, I golf and ski, and I run to keep in shape and destress.

I live in Mount Olympus, Utah, a community on the eastern edge of Salt Lake City. My office is located in nearby Cottonwood. I design homes for clients all over the country. That is heart of my business - custom home design. I love my work and do well financially. What I don't have as this story begins, is much of a personal life.

STORY

I. UNEXPECTED ENCOUNTER

It was a Wednesday in mid-March. There was snow on the ground and the local roads were icy as I made my way to the office. However, the freeway was clear, but with heavy traffic. I had a morning meeting with a construction firm that was going to build a house I had designed for a client out of Provo, Utah. I had left early to allow for traffic and road conditions, and arrived almost an hour early, so I stopped at the Starbucks near my office for a latte and to review job details for my upcoming meeting.

As I was perusing my iPad, I realized someone had walked up to my table. I looked up and standing before me was a beautiful, middle-aged woman. She was tall, maybe 5'-8" and slender-looking, though hard to tell much about her shape in her long coat. She had long, dark-blond hair with subtle highlights, blue eyes, and a beautiful, oval face with flawless skin.

"Excuse me. I don't mean to bother you, but you look so familiar and I was wondering if we have met..."

As I looked at the woman, a light went on, "Claire?" I questioned, almost to myself.

"Yes, so you know me, but I'm sorry, I can't place where I know you from."

"It's no wonder. It's been twenty years. I'm Jason, we were in debate class together, among other..."

"Jason! Jason from high school?! Oh my goodness. I can't believe it. Yes, I remember you. This is crazy. Well, how have you been? You look great."

"Likewise. I mean, you look great, too. Um, what are you doing here? Do you live in the area?"

"Oh, no. I live in Virginia. I'm here on business, meeting with an architecture firm."

"Mine, I imagine."

Surprised, she answered, "Your kidding?"

"No. I'm the only architect with offices here. Are you here for the Lasky build?"

"Yes, I'm going to be the construction manager. It's my husband's company and...I can't believe this...Amazing, isn't it?"

"Yes, quite - one coincidence after another!" I remarked.

"Yes, unbelievable. Well I guess we should head to our meeting," she smiled.

"Right, we don't want to be late," I kidded as I stood and gathered my stuff.

After we arrived at my office, my secretary, Miriam, gave me my messages and said she would get the conference room set up.

"Would you like something to drink?" Miriam asked Claire.

"Just a water."

"Bubbles or no bubbles?" I asked.

She chuckled, "No bubbles, will be fine."

"I'll take the same, Miriam, thank you."

We set up in the conference room. I already had a copy of the plans on the table for review.

The house, a split-level, wood-frame structure, would be near Park City and the Deer Valley Ski Resort. It was a five-bedroom, six bath home with all the bells and whistles, though fairly straightforward. The only exceptional amenity was the indoor lap pool - no bowling lanes, no putting greens, no helipad.

This was the first time I had worked with this construction company, so our meeting took quite a while.

"Well, Jason, I love the design, and I like that it's a clean build. Thank you for a thorough presentation, and I must say, I'm still surprised by our meeting like this. I don't know about you, but I'm famished. Do you have time for lunch? We could catch up..."

"Certainly. Miriam, do I have anything pressing, besides my backlog of paperwork?"

"Not today. You just have to be ready for the meeting with the Henleys, tomorrow."

"Okay, I'm good then. Thank you, Miriam."

"So, Claire, what do you feel like? There are a couple good restaurants within walking distance - a Chinese and an Italian. Or we can jump in my car and go to any number of places nearby.

"Chinese sounds good."

We walked the two blocks to the restaurant and grabbed a table. After ordering, I poured our tea and we settled in to catch up.

"So, tell me about yourself, besides the fact that you're a successful architect."

"Sure. After high school, I married Denise Wilkins - you may remember her. You were cheerleaders, together..."

"Oh, yes. I remember Denise. She was a lovely, vibrant, young woman. How is she?"

"She passed away two years ago - cancer."

"Oh, I am so sorry to hear that, Jason. How terrible."

"Thank you. Yes, it was quite a shock. The cancer, pancreatic cancer, was discovered too late. By the time she had any symptoms, it had metastasized to other organs. They didn't suspect it at first because of her relatively young age..."

I paused for a moment to collect myself. Claire put a hand on mine.

I continued, "Anyway, out of high school, we both went to Cal Poly San Luis Obispo in California for Architecture. After graduation, we moved here to take advantage of dual openings for apprentice architects at a local firm. After four years, we opened our own firm. I have a son that started college recently; and I guess that brings you up to date. How about you? I see you have a wedding ring."

She fiddled with it a moment, "Yes, um, I married Dex right out of high school. You remember Dexter..."

"The football player."

"Yes, him...And we have two children, both in college."

"So how is Dex?"

"Oh, well, he's fine, but, um, actually, he and I are getting a divorce."

"Sorry to hear that, Claire."

In a wistful voice, she replied, "Yeah, after almost fifteen years of what seemed like a good marriage, things changed, and over the last few years...well, sometimes life doesn't turn out the way you plan it, as you well know."

I nodded.

"Anyway, after college, Dex went to work for a large construction firm, and eventually, I joined him there. Eight years ago, we started our own company, and that has gone very well, but the demands of the business did not help our marriage..." She dropped her eyes, then looked up and smiled, "On a brighter note, here's to running into you after all these years," she remarked, toasting with her water glass.

"Yes, to a most pleasant surprise," I replied.

"So," she continued, "do you have anyone in your life now?"

"Recently, I started seeing a woman. We've had a few dates, but it's more of a casual thing."

"Well, since Dex and I separated, about six months ago, I've been seeing someone, but like you, it's more of a casual thing. With his travel and my travel, a relationship is difficult. Though this will be my last project for the company. Then I'm looking to find another job - one where I can settle down, not travel so much."

I nodded, "Yes, my travel doesn't make things easy, either."

We tabled discussion after our food arrived, except for sharing a few experiences from high school.

As we finished eating, Claire asked, "So, Jason, I'm curious about something. I had a pretty good idea that you liked me in high school, but you never asked me out."

I laughed lightly, "Hmm, yes, actually I had a serious crush on you, but you were out of my league...Though I did try to ask you out one time."

"I don't remember that, and I think that I would."

"Well, it was pretty lame. Our senior year, I asked you one time what you were doing for the weekend, and was going to ask you out, but you were already doing something with friends. Anyway, I lost my nerve and that was that."

"Really? And why do you say that I was out of your league?"

"Your kidding, right? You were one of the most popular girls in school, part of the 'elite' social group, and I was one of the 'not elite'. Anyway, you started dating Dex shortly after my failed attempt, and I abandoned any hopes that I had a chance with you."

"Mm, I see, sorry. But I would have said yes. I thought you were very nice, and smart as could be. I remember you on the debate team. I remember you as quiet and reserved, but when it came to competition, you were tenacious; you could really frame an argument, and you were the best at rebuttals - a quick thinker. I thought you might become a lawyer," she said.

"Oh, not for me. I actually hate to argue. I only joined the debate team because of you."

"Really? I'm sorry," she said softly as she reached and lightly patted my hand.

"Goodness, no biggie. It was a high school crush..."

"Well, let me make it up to you, after a fashion. I'm in town for two more days. If you're free, and amenable, join me for dinner tonight," she offered, smiling brightly.

I smiled in return and joked, "A belated pity date?"

She slapped my hand, "No! A belated date we could have had if you had ever asked me."

"You have me there. And of course, I'd be happy to. Where would you like to eat this evening?"

"You pick."

"How about steak. I know a good restaurant that grills a mean filet."

"Sounds great. So, it's a date, then. What time do you think you will be free?"

"I can be done by six. Is 6:30 too late?"

"No, perfect. I'm staying at the Hyatt Place Hotel. Call me when you're on your way and I'll be waiting out front."

"It's going to be pretty chilly. Why don't you wait inside, and I'll call when I pull up."

"Sounds good. Well, I'll let you get back to work."

We stood, she gave me a light hug, and I walked her to her car and we said our goodbyes.

Claire! Wow! After all these years, to run into her. After I called and got a reservation at the steakhouse, I checked progress on plans that were with my draftsmen, then tried to make some headway with all my paperwork, but I had a hard time concentrating. Just as I was finishing up and getting ready to leave, my cell chimed.

"Hi, Emily. How are you doing. Sorry I haven't called."

"I'm fine. I know you're busy. I just wanted to check and see what you're doing tonight..."

"Oh, um, I'm going to dinner with a business associate from out of town. Sorry, but how about tomorrow night?"

"Sure, honey. Give me a call."

"Okay, I gotta run. Bye."

I headed to my car and called Claire on the way, "Be there in about fifteen."

"I'll be in the lobby, waiting," she replied.

I picked her up and we headed to dinner. After taking our coats, the hostess took us to our table. Claire was wearing a cornflower-blue, cashmere turtleneck sweater and designer jeans. She looked amazing. She had filled out some since high school - and if possible, she looked even better than I remembered. She was slender but shapely, with what I judged to be a medium-sized bosom, and her jeans revealed a perfectly-shaped derriere and moderately flared hips.

After we ordered, we continued to catch up.

"According to Dex, you are very successful, and do business all over the country," Claire remarked.

"Yes, I've been very fortunate. We struggled at first, but after our first couple of big-ticket projects, we developed a good reputation with the right clientele and our business took off. I now work almost exclusively off referral business."

"So, Denise was an architect also, right?"

"Yes, she did the same as me; we collaborated on projects. I miss her contribution. We worked well together, and complimented each other, as we each had our particular talents and skillsets."

"That is so tragic - her passing. Denise was what, 36, 37?"

"She was four months short of 36 when she passed. So, how about you? Do you do anything besides construction management?"

"Well, lately, that's all I've been doing, as we're currently short on construction managers, but I was CFO. I've stepped down from that position, and this will be my last project with the company."

"I see. I guess with the impending divorce, it wouldn't be practical to continue there."

"Mm hmm. I mean, things are pretty amicable between us, but he has a girlfriend; I have a boyfriend - of sorts, and it's just not a comfortable situation. And like I said, I'm looking for more stability, a less hectic lifestyle. Even though I was CFO, I was regularly involved in doing site appraisals, preliminary assessments and such, and I split production oversight duties with Dex the last couple years. We've grown exponentially over the last four years, and it was getting to be too much for him."

"Well, here's to a simpler lifestyle for you," I toasted.

She smiled, "Thank you. Though, for the life of me, I don't know what I'm going to do."

"Well, with your experience and expertise, you should have a wide array of options. Um, you said you would be here two more days. What are you going to be doing, if I may ask?"

"Of course. Tomorrow, I have meetings with several key subcontractors, and on Friday, I'm going to the build site to look things over. I assume you have been to the property?"

"Oh yes. I designed the house specifically for that site."

"Then if you have time, could you join me for that?"

"I'd love to. I'll verify my schedule with Miriam in the morning."

"Oh, that would be great if you could."

After dinner, I dropped Claire off at her hotel and headed home. It was only nine p.m. when I got home, but I didn't get to sleep until after one a.m. I was so keyed up from my meeting, my reunion with Claire, I was beside myself.

II. ANOTHER UNEXPECTED 'ENCOUNTER'

Between my meeting and tasks at hand, Thursday flew by. I took off a little early, went home and changed, then headed to pick up Emily. Traffic was heavy, and I was late getting to her house. I pulled in her drive and left my SUV running. I went to the door and she opened it as I walked up.

"Ready? Sorry I'm late - traffic."

"Oh, no problem, and yes, I'm famished," she replied as she greeted me with a hug and a kiss.

I've been dating Emily for about six weeks. She is a sweet, pretty young woman. I say young because she is only 29. She's kind of petite, 5'-4" max, and about 110 pounds, with a trim, athletic figure. Her light-blond hair is worn to the shoulders and cut in a style where it's a little longer in front than in back. It frames her pretty face nicely. She has a slightly round face highlighted by large, light-blue eyes, a small, nicely shaped nose, and a medium-sized mouth with full lips. Her slim figure features what I guess to be B-cup breasts, a flat tummy, slightly flared hips, a killer behind, and strong, finely-muscled legs. And she has the smallest feet I've ever seen on a woman.

Tonight, she was wearing an ecru-colored, knit turtleneck dress that only went to mid-thigh, and hugged her svelte figure, showcasing her fabulous butt. Underneath her short dress, she was wearing aquamarine-blue leggings. She looked pretty terrific. I told her so.

We went for Italian, had a pleasant meal and shared a bottle of wine.

"Honey, you look tired. Are you working too hard?"

"Mm, the last few weeks have been pretty demanding, and it's catching up with me. I'm tied up in knots; haven't been resting that well."

She furrowed her brow, "That's no good. I can help with that. Come on; pay the check and let's head back to my place. I have a massage table and I'm going to give you a good going over."

"Oh, that's not..."

"I insist."

"Okay, you're the boss," I quipped.

I paid the check and we drove back to her place, a small, two-bedroom townhouse.

"Come on in. I'll make us iced teas. It'll help you to relax."

She was referring to Long Islands, and after the wine we had for dinner, I figured I would end up 'really' relaxed. I'm not a big drinker, and don't have the 'hollow' leg some guys have. Basically, I'm a lightweight when it comes to alcohol.

After our drinks, I helped her get out her table and set it up, then she put on some soft music, turned the lights down and lit some pleasant-smelling candles - all to set the mood and help me relax, she explained.

"Okay, strip," she ordered.

"Everything?" I asked. Note: We haven't been intimate yet, and I am a bit reserved.

"If you're bashful, you can leave your skivvies on, but then I can't use oil when I massage your glutes."

"You're going to massage my butt?"

"Yes, of course. Men carry a lot of tension in their buttocks. It's just a thing. Anyway, you're going to get massaged from head to toe."

"You're the boss."

I stripped down, and when I got to my boxers, I reluctantly pulled them down, staying turned away and quickly lying on the table. I couldn't see it, but I felt Emily was grinning, amused by my shyness. Besides Denise, I've only been with two other women - one before I married her, and one since she passed. Yeah, I'm not exactly a Casanova.

After I was prone, she placed a towel across my buttocks, then started at my neck and shoulders, doing a deep massage with scented oil she had set up in a warmer. It felt divine. Though her hands are small, she is strong, and her technique was very effective. As she worked her way down, I felt myself relaxing, the tension draining out of my muscles.

SirAuthor
SirAuthor
579 Followers