And the Grass Won't Pay No Mind

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I laid there on my side, watching Virginia, her eyes closed, totally limp, enjoying the endorphin-induced haze from our lovemaking. When Virginia is awake, she is always intense. At moments like this, when she is totally relaxed, I thrill at how beautiful she is. Her tousled honey-blonde hair haloed around her head made her look like an angel. I watched her chest rise and fall from her gentle breathing, her perky breasts rising up, her nipples pointing to the ceiling. I ran my eyes over her body. Her toned cord led into her vee, her toned legs, and her slim, high-arched runner's feet made her look perfect in my eyes.

My eyes burned from the unshed tears as I reveled in the knowledge this beautiful, perfect woman loved me above all others. As I always do in this time, I wondered what I had done to deserve this woman's love. It was in moments like this I understood why Alex still loved Virginia ...

January 1989

I got a call from Virginia letting me know we would have dinner at El Burrito with her friend Alex tonight. I wondered how Alex and I would interact. Virginia told me soon after we began seeing each other they had had an intense but brief affair in 1981. Virginia had broken it off over concerns about her career. Virginia told me she had acted poorly and had hurt Alex terribly, but they had reconciled and were now friends. I didn't view Alex as a threat to my relationship with Virginia, so I decided I would be friendly and try not to be awkward around her. I called Mom and arranged for her to keep the boys for dinner. I explained why and Mom said to act graciously. After all, I have Virginia and Alex doesn't. I had no intention of shoving it in Alex's face, so I agreed with Mom to play it cool.

When she got home, and while she was changing, Virginia spent some time reassuring me she and Alex were just friends. I put my index finger on her lips and said, "I know you love me and that Alex is no threat to our relationship. I'm glad you get to see your friend again, and I'm sure she'll be happy to see you too."

The look Virginia gave me when I said that made me glad I had taken that tack. After dropping the boys off with Mom, we got to El Burrito a few minutes early to reserve a table. We got a table inside since it was a little too cool to sit on the patio. Just as we were seated and before ordering drinks, I saw a beautiful woman matching Alex's description enter the restaurant. Virginia waved to her and, as Alex walked over to join us at the table, I checked her out. I could see Alex had a puzzled look on her face when she looked at me, sizing me up and trying to figure out why I was there.

At that moment, I realized Alex was still in love with Virginia. I looked over at Virginia, and I could see she was glad to see Alex. However, I saw nothing in her eye to suggest she was still in love with Alex or even realized Alex was still in love with her. I relaxed a little at that point, thinking everything would be okay.

"Virginia, it's so good to see you again. You haven't changed a bit!" Alex said as she joined us.

"It's good to see you too, Alex. You still look as delightful as I remember. I'd like you to meet Bonnie, my life partner," Virginia said, turning to me, her love for me evident in her face.

When Virginia introduced me, I saw a look of raw anger flick across Alex's face so fast, you wouldn't have seen it if you weren't looking for it. I was looking for it, and I saw her quickly cover it up and smile, pretending to be okay with what Virginia had just said.

"Bonnie, it's a pleasure to meet you," said Alex, extending a hand to me after a beat. I could tell she was making an effort to be sincere. The anger Alex had felt was not directed at me in particular but at the situation. "How did you convince Virginia to come out of her shell?" she asked as I took her hand and shook it.

In an attempt to lighten the mood, I said, "Well, I nearly had to strip naked and throw myself at her, but I did finally manage to land her." I smiled at Virginia to make sure Alex could see my love for Virginia on my face.

"You two make such a cute couple," Alex said, and I could see she was determined to keep it light. When our server came up, we all ordered Dos Equis. While the server went to get our beers, we looked at our menus. I kept a close eye on Alex, and I noticed she kept glancing over at Virginia. I could see the pain in her eyes, and at that moment, I felt sorry for her.

To break the silence, Alex turned to Virginia and asked, "So, what's the story with you being Major way earlier than me? I know we both pinned on Captain at about the same time."

"I can't really talk about it. I can say that a couple of Generals' careers were enhanced by something I did," Virginia said, trying not to sound like she was bragging. "I'm not trying to be mysterious, but the incident never officially occurred. My normal hard work also played a large part."

"Congratulations!" said Alex. "I'm glad your hard work is being recognized. You deserve it. I just got my line number for Major, so I'll be pinning on myself before too long."

Virginia smiled, happy for her friend, and replied, "Congratulations to you, too!"

"Thanks," Alex said. She then turned to me and asked, "What do you do for a living?"

I was determined not to sound defensive when I answered, "I'm a waitress at a restaurant not too far from here. I was a single mother raising two boys before I met Virginia." I then turned to Virginia, took her hand, smiled, and said, "It's not as glamorous as being an officer in the military, but I do the best I can." Turning back to Alex, I asked, "What do you do?"

"I do software quality assurance on the avionics systems for the Advanced Technology Bomber program," answered Alex, obviously proud of her position. She smiled at me to let me know she didn't think less of me. She then added, "While the perception that what we do in the military is glamorous, I have nothing but respect for a woman raising two boys on her own."

Turning to Virginia, Alex said, "I'm going to be coming out here for my next assignment. It should be about six months or so, so I would like to pick your brains about housing, and the like, in the next few months."

Virginia smiled and said, "Sure, I'd be glad to. I'm working my next assignment to the Advanced Tactical Fighter program, so I'll be picking your brains about housing and the like in return."

We then ordered our food and talked about world events while we waited. Once our food was served, we chatted about lighter topics. Alex was trying hard to keep up a happy front, but her gaze kept darting to Virginia, and I could see her pain at the betrayal she felt. I realized Alex was hurt because Virginia had set her aside for the sake of Virginia's career but was willing to risk her career for me. Any time Alex talked to me, I smiled and did my best to keep the conversation light. I showed her photographs of the boys, bragging on them, proud of what they've accomplished. Finally, I felt Alex's acceptance of me as a person and not as a rival. Our conversation became easier and more natural. Alex even laughed a couple of times at the antics of my boys I shared with her.

Eventually, we were done eating, and Alex said she had to call it a night. She would be meeting early in the morning with the contractors and then flying back in the afternoon. Alex and Virginia exchanged contact information, and after parting hugs, Alex headed back to her hotel.

Virginia and I headed over to Mom's place to pick up the boys. On the way there, I grabbed Virginia's hand, leaned onto her shoulder, and said, "I like Alex. I'm glad I got to meet her. I can see why you two got together. I know that if I was still unattached, I'd make a play for her," I finished, giving her hand a quick squeeze.

"I'm glad you like her. She's a dear friend. Thank you for accepting her as a part of my life," Virginia said, squeezing my hand back. I looked closely at Virginia and saw the seed I had planted had taken root. I never said anything more about it, but I was glad I had met Alex. She still loved Virginia and could be a possible replacement for me after I'm gone.

July 1991

Just as I finished reflecting on Alex, Virginia's eyes opened. I fell into those perfect sapphire blue pools, the unshed tears breaking loose and flowing down my cheeks. Virginia reached up and touched a tear with her fingertip as she softly asked, "Why?"

It was just one word, but so much was conveyed in that one word it would take a treatise to describe the enormity of her question. At that moment, I bared my soul, and I expressed my greatest fear when I answered, "I don't deserve you." With that, the floodgates broke, and my tears flowed like the Amazon River.

Virginia immediately cupped my face with both hands as she pulled me down and rained little kisses all over my face. She then looked me in the eye, tears in her eyes, and said, "That's not true. If anything, I don't deserve you. My God, Bonnie, you are an incredible woman. You deserve everything I can give you and more. I am in awe of you. Your incredible strength, your endless love, and your unquestioning faith in me force me to work as hard as I do to try to live up to your example."

I saw the sincerity in Virginia's eyes, and I knew she believed what she said. I had no choice but to accept what she said as truth. I smiled through my tears as I said, "No wonder I love you. You sure know what to say to make a girl feel good."

With that, our lips met, and our eyes closed as the world went away for a time while we enjoyed each other's lips. When we broke, our eyes opened and locked as Virginia said, "I love you."

My heart clenched at those words. I replied, "I love you more."

"Not possible," Virginia averred. She was so sincere at that moment, I almost believed it.

Rather than argue with her, I said, "Get some rest, love. I'll wake you when dinner is ready." With that, I got out of bed and tucked Virginia in. I quickly threw on my clothes and went out to see what the status of dinner was. The boys watched TV, ignoring me as I walked through the living room and into the kitchen, where Mom was busy fixing dinner. I grabbed a glass and poured myself some iced tea before sitting down at the kitchen table.

Mom glanced over at me and smiled before she asked, "Is Virginia resting now?"

"Yes," I replied, returning her smile. "I relaxed her enough so she could get some rest before dinner. Do you need any help with anything?"

"Not at the moment," Mom said. "I'm just about ready to put the lasagna in the oven. When it's about time, you can help me with the salad."

"Okay," I said. I watched as Mom put the lasagna in the oven and set the timer. She then grabbed her glass and came over to the table to sit next to me.

"Did you tell her about your plans yet?" Mom asked.

"No," I said. "I thought I'd talk about it during dinner, so everyone will be on the same page for the next week. Besides, she won't argue with me about it in front of the boys."

Mom did a double-take before she smiled and said, "You don't fight fair, do you?"

I smiled back at her and said, "No, not when it comes to Virginia. You're the one who taught me 'If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, you've already lost,' or words to that effect."

Mom reached across and took my hand and smiled as she said, "So, you did listen to your mother from time to time."

I looked Mom in the eye as I said, "I always listened to you, Mom. I just didn't always put it into action. I'm so glad you never gave up on me. For that, I'll always love you."

"I love you too, sweetie," Mom said. "Giving up on you was never an option, just like you would never give up on the boys."

"No," I said, "Never." We sat there in silence for a while, just thinking about motherhood and all it entailed. I thought about Virginia and how she loved the boys as much as I did, even though she hadn't borne them in her own womb. While it was a fact Virginia doesn't have that same bond with them I have, having given birth to them and suckled them at my breasts, she certainly makes up for it with how she interacts with them. I've seen her with a slight look of wistfulness at times while looking at the boys, and I know she's wondering how she would have done as a mother. At those times, I would just hold her and remind her the boys call her Mom 2.0, so she's as much their mom now as I am.

Eventually, the lasagna was almost done. Mom shooed me off to get Virginia up before I started fixing the salad. I slipped into our bedroom and saw Virginia lying there asleep. She had thrown off the covers, and my eyes ran over her naked body, loving what I saw.

I leaned down and gently laved her nipple with my tongue. Virginia's nipple immediately reacted and started growing, her areola getting bumpy. After a couple of swirls, I wrapped my lips around her hard nipple and started sucking on it. Virginia stirred, a low moan escaping her throat as her breathing sped up. I continued stimulating her nipple until her eyes opened, and she murmured, "God, Bonnie, I love being woke up like that."

Our eyes locked, and I raised my head and moved up to kiss Virginia's lovely lips. The world went away for a moment as we kissed, our tongues gently caressing each other. After an endless time lasting only a few seconds, we broke, and I said, "Time for dinner, my love."

"Thank you, my love," Virginia said. I stood up and headed back out to help Mom finish dinner while Virginia got up and started dressing. I made it back out to the kitchen just as Mom pulled the lasagna out of the oven. I quickly assembled the salad while Mom popped the breadsticks in the oven for browning. I helped Mom set the table while Virginia called to the boys to wash up for dinner. Like a finely choreographed dance, everything came together at once, and we all sat down at the table as one.

Once we plated our food and started digging in, I looked at Virginia and said, "I know you're wondering why Mom is here. Well, I have arranged a surprise for you." I saw Virginia perk up and get a sparkle in her eye as I then went on to explain, "You're on vacation for the next nine days. I called Alice and got it approved."

Virginia started to object, but I cut her off and said, "Alice told me to tell you if you show up in the office before the 22nd, she's going to have the MPs escort you off the base."

I could see Virginia wanted to argue with me about it. She had important work to do that couldn't wait. However, I knew Virginia wouldn't like to discuss it in front of the boys. I watched as she processed what I'd arranged. Then she smiled at me and nodded her head as she accepted the inevitable, knowing she wasn't going to win this argument. I breathed a sigh of relief at that, and the boys jumped in, saying how glad they were Virginia could spend more time with them. Virginia reached her hand out, and I took it in mine and squeezed it as we shared a smile, and Virginia visibly relaxed. She knew she had been working too hard, and I could see she was actually relieved I took the initiative and did this.

Virginia then regaled the boys with what she had seen and done while in Fort Worth, reminding them about the sights we had seen two years ago when we had come through there on our move to Ohio. The boys were particularly interested in the simulator Virginia had tested while at General Dynamics. While Virginia was busy talking to the boys, I shared a smile with Mom, and I could see she was proud of how I had won that argument with Virginia.

When dinner was over, Virginia and I shooed everyone into the living room. Then we cleaned up and put the dishes in the dishwasher. Virginia took advantage of the temporary privacy and hugged and kissed me, thanking me for what I had done. She apologized for working so hard and for so long, compelling me to take the actions I had. I hushed Virginia's apology with a kiss of my own, leaving her with no doubt how I expected to be thanked once we went to bed tonight.

Once we were done, we went into the living room and sat on the couch with Mom. We quietly discussed the details of our plans for tomorrow while we watched Quantum Leap, one of Virginia's favorite shows. I enjoyed the show, but not for the same reason Virginia did ... Scott Bakula was a juicy piece of eye candy. It was a repeat, so Virginia didn't mind our talking during it. I told Virginia about the cabin I had reserved at Buck Creek State Park. Virginia smiled and reminded me how much we had enjoyed staying at the place near Yosemite Park in Groveland, CA, a few years ago. I could tell by looking in her eyes Virginia was now wholly in vacation mode and was going to enjoy what I'd planned.

Eventually, it was time for bed. We were leaving in the morning, so we had some packing to start tonight and finish in the morning. Virginia took turns kissing the boys goodnight before shagging them off to bed. We shared a look, and I knew she wanted to tuck them in for the night, so I told her to go ahead, and I'd go start packing. Mom hugged both of us and promised she'd fix our favorite breakfast in the morning before she went off to get ready for bed.

I pulled out our bags, which I had already started packing earlier this week. I had packed all of our climbing gear since there were several areas along Clifton Gorge where you could do top-line rock climbing. It was something I had always thought about doing. Virginia wanted to do it, too, ever since we had watched the rock climbers at Yosemite several years ago. Neither of us was an expert by any measure. We enjoyed the workout, and we'd done it a couple of times before at Clifton Gorge since there were instructors who did classes there from time to time. There were several areas where you could climb along the trail ranging from easy to complex, and I planned for us to try it this next week.

I kept busy packing until Virginia came in and joined me after getting the boys in bed. I stopped for a minute and enjoyed a hug and promissory kiss as Virginia again thanked me for arranging this vacation. I could already see a glint in her eye that hadn't been there earlier, and I was glad Virginia so quickly gave in. That told me she was as ready for this opportunity to decompress as I was.

I showed Virginia what I had packed so far, and she smiled when she saw the packed climbing gear. She quickly started pulling out clothes to put in her bag, along with a selection of walking, running, and dress shoes. While we planned to rough it for most of the time, we planned to dress up and go into town to dinner at least once while we were on vacation.

Finally, we had everything packed except our toiletries, so we went into the bathroom to prepare for bed. The sexual tension between us was ramping up so much I could barely concentrate on brushing my teeth. I kept glancing over at Virginia, and from the look in her eye, I could see she wanted me in the worst way. I was thrilled at the thought of what was going to happen once we went to bed. I went to put on my sleeping tee and panties, and Virginia grabbed my arm and said, "You won't need those."

"Oh?" I asked, a look of innocence plastered on my face. "Why is that?"

"They'll just be in the way," Virginia said, almost growling. The predatory look in her eye made my heart clench. I knew I was going to be screaming Virginia's name over and over tonight, enjoying every second of it.

"In the way of what?" I asked, egging Virginia on as I turned to head into the bedroom, waggling my ass at her.

When I heard Virginia's breathy "Oh, God!" behind me, I knew she was primed, and I was moments away from experiencing heaven on earth.

123456...9