And the Grass Won't Pay No Mind

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

We ate a quick lunch, getting hot dogs and waffle fries, finishing it off with ice cream Mom bought for all of us. By the time we finished lunch, it was time to head to the airport. We got in the minivan and headed up to Dayton International Airport. I found a spot in short-term parking near the entrance, and we got out. The boys got Mom's luggage, and we headed in. We found the gate for Mom's flight after getting her luggage checked in and made our way to it, practically at the end of the concourse.

By the time we got to the gate, they were getting ready to start boarding. Mom hugged the boys, telling them how much she loved them and was going to miss them. She was tearing up by the time she got to me. We hugged tightly, both of us teary-eyed. I kissed her cheek and said, "I love you, Mom. I can't begin to tell you how much I've appreciated everything you've done for me."

Mom again caught something in the tone of my voice and looked me closely in the eye, trying to figure out what was up with me. Apparently satisfied, she pulled me in for another hug and said, "I love you, sweetie. I'm so proud of you and how you've lived your life. You've raised two beautiful boys under tough circumstances. I'm so glad you have Virginia to love you and the boys."

It was my turn to wonder if Mom knew what was going to happen and was telling me it would be okay. I teared up again and hugged her tightly, not wanting to ever let go. Finally, the attendant called Mom's row number, so we broke, and Mom headed toward the gate. When Mom looked back at me just before entering the jetway to get on the plane, I could see the tears in her eyes. At that moment, I knew I had failed in my attempt to assure her everything was okay.

My heart clenched, and I started crying too. When I turned to the boys to leave and go home, they saw my tears and hugged me, thinking I was just crying because Mom was leaving. I was, in a way, but it wasn't just that. I knew, in my heart, the next time Mom came out to visit us, it would be for the last time.

I dashed away my tears and said, "Let's go get some ice cream before we go home." The boys enthusiastically endorsed my suggestion, so we headed out to get some ice cream and head back home. Virginia would be getting home shortly from work, and I wanted to be there to greet her. More than ever, I needed Virginia's love, and I needed to prepare everyone for what was surely coming.

***

As I'm writing this story, the local news is all about a local woman who tried to abandon her children to be with a man who didn't want the children. In her attempt to leave them at a park, she started driving away before the children could get in the car. Two of them were left behind, but the third, a six-year-old boy, fell down and was run over by the car as he tried to get in the car. The mother drove away and took a half-hour before she apparently had a change of heart and went back to get her children. They found the youngest boy's body, put it in the trunk of the car, and drove home with the other two children. Later that night, the mother and her boyfriend took the body down to the river and threw it in before reporting him missing. Of course, they were soon found out and were arrested. They are both currently in jail, awaiting trial. They are still searching the river, trying to find the body of that innocent, sweet young boy. As far as I'm concerned, Hell is too nice of a place for someone who does something like that.

Against that background, I'm writing this story. This is a story about a woman who loved her two sons so much she encouraged them to love her partner as much as they loved her. She encouraged her partner to love her sons as she did, all in preparation for the day she wouldn't be there for them anymore. Is it no wonder I've cried more while writing this story than I've cried as I wrote any other of the stories I've written so far?

But, enough of that. This story is the middle part of a three-part series written from Bonnie's PoV. Each part is intended to be a stand-alone story (although familiarity with the 'Virginiaverse' will help you understand the context). Each part has a unique name. The name of this story is a song written and sung by Neil Diamond. The lyrics to this song inspired how this story was written. I have posted a link to YouTube on my Bio page so you can listen to the song for yourself if you are interested.

1...456789