Animal Café Ch. 33

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"It doesn't feel like work."

"Haha. Good, because that's how you need to feel when you'll take over the ownership of the café. Or else the financial paperwork will drive you nuts."

"..."

What did Lucy say? Me taking over the café? Didn't she remember what happened when she put me in charge for half a day? Elizabeth had to rescue me. And, we had never discussed this? I didn't think I was qualified to run her café and do all the important paperwork she always did.

I started trembling a little.

"... W... when?"

"What do you mean when?"

"When do I have to run the café? Like... tomorrow?"

"Tomo... NO! Clara! You are nowhere near ready to run a café. First of all, you need to finish school. Then, you'll need experience. And then..."

As Lucy enumerated all her points explaining what I already knew, I felt a bit of happiness coursing through my veins.

Today I felt ready. I wouldn't know what to do at all to order the cakes and food, manage the pets' schedule, pay the mortgage, and all... No, I was really not qualified...

But I was ready to learn and give it a go.

This little sensation in my chest felt good. This little bright light flashing inside my rib cage, the one indicating that something positive was going on in my life; it felt good.

It felt like I had a future ahead of me.

After dressing up, I said goodbye to Lucy and headed downstairs. I looked through the lounge door window, and a bunch of paws waved goodbye at me. I returned the waves before exiting the café on my own.

It was a bit cold tonight, so I wrapped my scarf around my neck and began walking. There were even some snowflakes slowly falling from the frozen sky. It reminded me of last year, when all the pets and Lucy did this charity event and took pictures with people in exchange for money. We would do it again this year, and I was looking forward to it. Christmas was only a month away, after all. It would also be Kitty's first time doing that. She said she would come too, which was good because her amazing cheetah costume was a very popular one these days.

I couldn't wait to see my girlfriend again, Oreo. She caught a little cold and was resting at the pethouse. I loved her very much, but I didn't feel that I was in a hurry to get home tonight. It wasn't that I didn't want to see her, it was simply that I knew she would be there for me when I arrived.

Since this weird dream I had earlier today, something has changed inside of me. I wish I could remember what it was about, but at the same time, did it really matter? This slight excess of self-confidence I had might be temporary or permanent, who knew, but it certainly taught me how to feel good and relaxed for once.

On my way home, I stopped by a small bakery and bought a giant pretzel. Usually, it was Trixie who was doing these kinds of things, but this time, I felt like there was nothing wrong with enjoying life a bit more without worrying about what people would think of me.

"There you go. That will be 3.50$"

"Thanks so much. You can keep the change."

"Oh, thank you. Have a good night."

What a difference.

When I thought about it, before I met the pets, I couldn't even have ordered a coffee by myself. Now, I could order a pretzel, feeling like a normal human being. Where did I learn how to do that? When did I learn how to do that?

It was a good day.

When I arrived at the big insurance building and squeezed myself through the heavy glass door, I knew I wasn't too far from home, from love. The security guard quickly ignored me when I lowered my scarf, which was good because they still scared me, and I engulfed myself in the elevator.

A golden elevator... It felt strangely familiar, but I wasn't too sure why.

I swiped my card on the reader and pressed the P button. How lucky was I to live in a penthouse without having to pay any rent? I knew this wasn't normal, and Lucy made sure we didn't forget that we were spoiled, so I was very cautious not to abuse any of the special privileges I had.

When the elevator doors slid open, I headed to the big double wooden doors leading to the pethouse, scanned my pass, and pushed one open with my shoulder.

There she was, sitting on the big leather couch, watching a TV show by herself.

"Oreo! I'm home."

"Hi Clara. How did it go?"

"Good. But Vix and I got scolded because we destroyed a cake."

"Haha. It happens."

I went to the living room and sat on the couch next to her. Oreo was wrapped in a large blanket that she opened to let me in. Now well cocooned next to my girlfriend, I felt complete again.

"What are you watching?"

"Just a drama. I like it."

"What is it about?"

"I don't know. It just started."

"Okay. We will find out together."

"Yes."

"Oreo?"

"Yes?"

"I love you."

"I love you too, Clara."

Life didn't have to be complicated.

Actually, life was pretty simple. We just liked to make it complicated.

The next time I would feel that everything is going wrong in my life, I will always remember that time I decided to walk to this café and stand in front of the door like a leek.

That was all it took.

It was the only effort I had to put in for my life to turn around.

The next time my life doesn't go in a good direction, I will remember this.

Our life is like a grass field.

The end.

12