Apprehended Ch. 19

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Nothing much." Richen stared at me and lowered his head slightly. "My Luna."

I forced a small smile. "Hey."

He returned his stare to Gavin. "It's snowing. Where are we going?"

Gavin smiled, revealing his fangs. "To get Lily."

Richen muttered a curse. "Are you serious?" He looked at me. "Please tell me we're doing this alone? Without her."

"It was my idea," I countered.

He directed his anger to Gavin. "You're going to allow this, Beta?"

"Lily is my mate," he snapped.

"But she's our Luna," said Richen, jerking a thumb in my direction. "Who is injured."

"I feel fine," I pointed out.

He snorted. "Is that so?" He approached me swiftly. "Let me see your thigh."

I took a few steps back. "No!"

Gavin interjected. "Look," he said, "she's our responsibility. More so, mine. You think I am not capable of protecting my own Luna?"

"You're thinking of your mate," Richen said.

"Aye. But my Luna is just as important. I am Beta for a reason. Now, I'm giving a direct order since Alpha is not here. We're leaving. With Annie."

Richen cursed and said, "fine. I'll go on ahead to make sure everything is safe for her." He stalked out, leaving us alone in the cabin with the door open.

"See what I mean?" I said, lowly. "He's a loose cannon."

Gavin hung his head, rubbing a hand over his nape. "He's being cautious."

"He's being tyrannical," I amended.

"We need to be cautious at all times when it concerns you. Now I know that this is a bad idea. I'm only doing this because I want Lily and having you there should make it easier."

"Gee thanks," I muttered dryly.

"Annie. If Ethan finds out about this...I could be shunned from the clan for disobeying a direct order."

"You've done it before. When Jared and Edwin came over to play video games. How is this any different?"

"This is outside, Luna. At night. With an open expanse of space for potential threats."

I sighed in irritation. "Then we won't go."

"No," he corrected. "I am going regardless. Though I hate to admit that Richen does have a point. You shouldn't be traveling with your injury."

I donned my coat and walked towards the door, stopping in front of him. "I'm not an invalid. I can take care of myself. You'll be there to protect me. Richen too. We're only going to see Lily. That's it. The more time we spend here negotiating, the more time we're wasting. Now can we please go? You know Ethan would never allow this if he were here. Which means it's your decision to make."

He grumbled under his breath and finally gave in, pointing a finger in my face. "This is not a joke, Annie. You stay close to either one of us. You don't stray. And if you see anything out of the ordinary, you tell us. Understand?"

"Yes, Beta," I mumbled on the way out.

He continued cursing as he locked things up. When he turned, he grabbed my hand and we began walking towards the descent, completely passing Ethan's truck.

"Wait," I said. "Aren't we taking Cheryl?"

"No. You're riding with me. I'm faster."

I froze, my mouth going dry. "No way, Gav! No way! That didn't go so well last time!"

He face went serious. "I'll go slow, Luna. On my word. I vow it. You have nothing to be afraid of."

The thought suddenly made me feel nauseous again.

Shit.

This was not what I had in mind when I mentioned visiting Lily.

Not at all.

I mumbled a curse and moved forward, hoping that this wasn't a stupid and dangerous decision.

If it was, Ethan was going to murder us all.

***

"Oh my god!" I screamed, jumping off of Gavin's back.

I hobbled a few steps away from him; my feet on blessed, solid asphalt...and hurled.

This was a bad, bad, bad idea.

I heard Gavin laughing as he redressed, having shifted into his human form once I got off his back. "That was my slowest pace, Luna."

I threw up some more, the vomit coating the ground.

Ugh.

I was so sick of vomiting.

When I managed to get it together with no further projectiles, I turned to face Gavin with a glower. "Slow?" I asked, wiping my mouth with the back of my hand. "You were moving faster than the speed of light!"

He laughed again, slipping a white tee over his bare chest. "You flatter me," he said, padding across the snow with no boots.

I looked at his feet. "Did you bring shoes?"

"Richen has them," he said.

As if on cue, Richen emerged from the forest, carrying two sets of boots in his hands.

"Where did you get those?" I asked.

"We keep a spare set in the trees here. We're constantly shifting. There are clothes as well."

I hadn't thought of that.

"You okay?" asked Richen. "You look pale." He glanced at the ground where I vomited. "Sick?"

I nodded. "Yeah. Gavin just moved too quickly."

"You want to ride with me on the way back?" he asked. "I'm not as brutal."

I looked to Gavin for some assistance, but the bastard was no help whatsoever; walking ahead and making his way to the store where Lily was.

I swallowed, the foul taste coating my mouth. "It's okay."

His eyes narrowed. "You don't want to ride with me? Why not?"

I turned and began following Gavin. "It's not that," I said, lowly. I hoped he would let it go.

But he was relentless and unwilling to let certain things be. "I'll go slow," he promised, grabbing my arm, and spinning me around to face him.

His eyes were intense, reminding me that he was not like Ethan or Gavin. Richen had a way about him. It was cold. He didn't do kindness or small-talk. He didn't do feelings. He was a straight to the point kind of male. He was also very frightening; his wolf constantly rising to the surface when he was a man.

Without Gavin here to intercede, I just swallowed up the urge to say no and agreed.

Reluctantly.

"Alright," I said. "I'll go with you."

He looked me over with calculating eyes before nodding tightly. He grabbed my elbow and urged me forward, walking alongside and slowing his stride to my slower pace.

Gavin had already entered the store. I knew he was desperate for his mate. We followed and I found him, heading straight towards Lily at the register. The minute she saw him, her face flushed, and her mouth fell open. I couldn't blame her. Like Ethan, Gavin had a charm.

Not to mention that these males were absolutely breathtaking-all confidence and male power.

He smiled at her and stopped near the counter, leaning in to whisper something to her. She too smiled and they began talking. Luckily, there were few people milling about, no doubt staying home away from the cold.

"Let's leave him to it," said Richen.

I looked up at him, his height, size, and scowl at odds with the merry atmosphere of the store. "We're not going with him?"

"No. That's his mate. A male needs to convince his female to come to him willingly."

"Then why did he say he needed me here?"

He shrugged. "Having another female nearby can offer a sense of safety."

I thought about that. "And what if she doesn't come willingly?"

"Then we resort to different measures. Either way, she is his. Whether she knows it or not." He turned to look at the items that lined the shelves.

"I didn't have that option," I muttered sardonically.

He gave me a look and lowered his voice. "You are mated to an Alpha, Luna. An Alpha. Not a Beta or clan member. The male had no choice but to take you. You are his. In all the ways that matter. The bond is too strong for charming and swaying. He had to have you. And he took you. It's as simple as that."

I looked away from him and focused on anything other than the fact that Lily had at least one option other than abduction.

I inhaled sharply when I suddenly glanced out the shop's window, and I hid behind Richen's burly, muscular frame.

"What is it?" he asked, following my gaze. He muttered something under his breath when he saw what caused my alarm. "Shit."

"Did he see us?" I whispered, grabbing Richen's hand and squeezing it in fear.

I was so scared; I began to tremble.

Shit.

Awe, fuck. This was bad. Really bad.

I should never have come. Gavin didn't even need me.

The bastard.

"Not yet," Richen grumbled. "But he doesn't need to. He'll smell you." He followed Ethan with his eyes as he walked down the sidewalk with Tony by his side. They were speaking to each other, the conversation animated and serious.

"Should I go further into the store?" I whispered.

"No point...just wait for it," he said, his voice husky and deep. "Fuck."

I stole a glance...just as Ethan stopped mid-stride, sniffed the air, and turned his head in our direction...his eyes landing directly on me.

I yelped and hid behind Richen again.

Which was ridiculous. Ethan knew I was here. Hiding was pointless.

"Shit," Richen muttered. He gave my hand a reassuring squeeze. "He's coming for you."

For the first time in a long time, I was scared. Completely and unequivocally scared.

The door opened and Ethan stalked in, his eyes heated and filled with rage. The cold air followed, mixing with his scent, and enveloping us as he approached. He stopped in front of Richen, clenching his fists; seething and on edge.

"What the fuck are you doing here...with my female?" he growled.

Awe man.

"It was Gavin's idea," said Richen, tossing Gavin under the bus.

If Ethan weren't so mad, it would have been quite humorous.

"But you followed," snapped Ethan, revealing his fangs.

"He's Beta, Alpha. I cannot disobey an order."

"Oh yes you can, motherfucker," spat Ethan. He approached Richen and I could tell it took all the strength he had to contain the speed of his approach. He was nearly unhindered. "When his order directly disobeys mine, it is nullified. I don't know how many fucking times I have to repeat this: My word, my law."

Richen's head bowed in submission as Ethan towered over him, his muscles contracting and his body so tense, he was trembling.

"And you," he snapped, side-stepping Richen and grabbing me.

I yelped and collided into his hard, burly chest.

"What do you think you're doing out here? Without me? In the middle of the goddamn night?!" He nearly yelled the last question, his breathing fast and shallow.

People were staring at us. I licked my suddenly dry lips and answered. "I was trying to help Gavin."

"By putting yourself in danger!"

I winced.

His voice was so loud, I felt the power of it in my soul. I felt the fury of it in every fiber of my being. Ethan never raised his voice with me. Of course he had gotten angry with me before. But never like this.

I regretted convincing Gavin to meet Lily. Now more than ever.

I didn't know what to say. He was right. So I mumbled the only thing I could.

An apology.

"I'm sorry, Ethan."

"So am I," he spat. He looked at Gavin. "You. Move. Now!"

He stalked out of the store with Gavin, Richen and Tony on our heels, grabbing my hand and pulling me along as he walked. I struggled to keep up, his stride swift and strong.

I squeezed his hand lightly. "Ethan?"

"What?" he snarled, not looking at me.

"You're walking too fast," I said, slipping on a patch of black ice on the asphalt.

He wrapped a thick, strong arm around my waist and steadied me, sighing in frustration before stopping to scoop me up and carry me.

"I can walk," I said, wrapping my arms around his neck.

"You shouldn't be," he countered. "Not with your thigh. And definitely not with those stitches."

To say that the walk was awkward would be an understatement. Ethan was sizzling; a livid animal barely contained. He stopped at the edge of the forest and I realized that we didn't accomplish much. We were right back where we started. He turned and focused on Tony. "Call me. Let me know what you find."

"Sure thing, Dune." Tony dipped his sheriff hat in my direction before turning to leave, clapping Richen and Gavin on the shoulders as he walked away. "Good luck, boys," he drawled, snickering.

I would've laughed. But considering the trouble we were in; it didn't seem appropriate.

Ethan faced Richen. "You move ahead. Keep a lookout. If you see anything or anyone, you howl, you hear?"

Richen nodded once and shifted on the fly, leaving torn, shredded clothing on the asphalt. I watched in wonder as his wolf ran, disappearing into the canopy of trees within mere seconds.

Ethan turned his attention to Gavin. "You," he said, his voice dangerous. "We'll talk about what happened later...away from my female. For now, take up the rear. Wait ahead until we arrive."

Gavin obeyed, leaving the same way Richen had.

Great.

I was now alone with Ethan, who was still a raging bull.

"And you," he all but snarled. "You ride with me." He put me down and made sure I was steady before taking a few steps away to shift.

I had nothing to say. I could only stare in awe at the splendor that was Ethan.

The light from the lantern above ignited his features as his body contorted. Though it looked excruciating, the process was a sight to behold. His bones took on a new form, elongating and thickening. He grew much larger in size, his body growing thick, golden fur that shimmered as he shook violently. Snow pelted off his gleaming hair in rivulets as he faced me, his sparkling eyes finding mine. He approached slowly, stopping a few inches in front of me.

I suddenly felt small and minuscule beside him, his body powerful and larger than a truck. His legs were thick with muscle and his claws were sharp and strong enough to tear through steel. I swallowed loudly, unaccustomed to Ethan's wolf and his close proximity. I knew that it was Ethan behind the animal and that he would never harm me, but his raw energy and otherworldliness was daunting.

Instinctively, I took a step back as Ethan shook his head, his chest vibrating as he made an unfamiliar sound in the back of his throat. I felt his warm breath tickle my face and he took a step forward, lowering his head and his body to the ground, where he waited in reticence.

I froze, uncertain what it was the he wanted me to do. He whined, his voice shrill and loud. It caused me to jerk back, my breaths coming in hard and fast.

Then he scooted closer to me, lowering his head further.

I took a tentative step forward, licking my trembling lips as I reached out to his beautiful fur. My fingers lightly brushed against his hair and I shivered, his fur bristly and wet with snow and ice.

Ethan moved even closer, all but shoving his head underneath my arm with such force, I had to grab his ear for purchase. That too was soft and covered in hair. I inhaled, getting his scent, which was so much stronger as a wolf.

He smelled of the forest and fresh, fallen snow. He smelled of the open, star-filled sky and maple trees in bloom.

And he was warm.

So blessedly warm. Like he always was.

I couldn't contain my smile.

I leaned in as his chest vibrated once more and he rubbed his entire body along my side; almost like a cat. I held onto his fur as he moved against me, his shifts powerful enough to make me lose my balance.

He didn't seem to mind.

I laughed and scratched behind one of his large ears. He closed his eyes and lifted his head to lick my palm.

His tongue was soft yet rough, hot and covered in wolf spit. "Ewww!" I said on a laugh. I wiped the drool on his fur. "Ethan!"

He made another odd sound and rubbed against me once more before dropping to the ground again, allowing me to get atop his strong body.

I moved to his middle and grabbed some of his fur to pull my body up. He was larger than Gavin, so it was difficult. I tossed my leg slowly and carefully over his large frame and nearly slid off the opposite side.

I gasped, expecting to fall to the ground, but Ethan used his tail to stop the descent, pushing me further to his middle as he rose. He looked back at me...waiting.

I smiled, my breath coming out in white puffs. I knew what he was asking. He didn't need to voice it. Ethan always took care of me. Always.

"I'm okay," I said, running my fingers through his fur in reassurance. "I'm okay. We can go."

He waited until I had a good grip before moving. Unlike Gavin, he was steady and slow, not overdoing his speed. I was grateful. I couldn't handle any more puking. We moved through the trees at a leisurely pace, with Ethan scanning the forest for potential danger. Eventually, Gavin appeared and took up the rear.

We traveled in silence.

It was quite nice, despite the cold. I glanced up; the skeletal trees reaching towards the night sky like icy fingers. The stars faded in and out as we moved along, the darkness consuming and the tree trunks oppressing.

I took a gander below. Ethan's wolf was tall. My feet were high, the snow sparkling like diamonds in patches of moonlight. Owls hooted and nocturnal creatures burrowed. I found that I liked the night when it was peaceful...when we weren't running for our lives or hiding.

Thankfully, the trip was uneventful.

By the time we arrived at the cabins, I was numb and shivering, my coat no longer providing much warmth. Though Ethan was hot, only my legs and feet benefited.

Gavin and Richen shifted first, with Richen coming up to us naked as the day he was born. It was no longer unusual. It was now my version of normal. He reached up, offering me his arms. "Come to me, Luna."

Ethan lowered himself and I grabbed Richen's shoulders. He lifted me with ease, picking me up to place me on the ground. He steadied me as Ethan shifted and came up behind me to scoop me up again. I wrapped my arms around his neck once more, shivering.

He tightened his hold, pulling me deeper into his warmth. "Let's get you inside, female."

I sighed drowsily when we entered the cabin; the heat coating my trembling form. Ethan padded across the living room and deposited me on the couch, where he turned and lit a fire with his palm. He flicked on some lights as he moved throughout the space, wrapping me in a blanket before heading into the kitchen...naked.

My teeth chattered as I waited, hearing him do...something.

I watched the flames in the fireplace, relishing the heat and the comfort. My lids grew heavy and I was on the verge of blessed sleep.

"Here," said Ethan, ruining it.

I opened my eyes and blinked lazily. "Hmm?"

"Tea," he said, shoving a mug near my face. "Drink."

I sat up straighter, not in the mood for tea.

Ethan watched me intently. "Take off your coat," he added, his voice thick and low.

It came off as a demand. Short and to the point. And I knew he was still angry. He had every right to be. But I was too cold and too tired to argue. I took off my coat and grabbed the mug, placing it on the coffee table.

"I don't think so," he said, grabbing it and giving it to me once more. "You need warmth and liquids. You haven't been eating much. Or drinking."

I frowned. "I have," I said, taking a tentative sip. It was hot. I blew on it.

He snorted and padded away, grabbing a snack from the kitchen. He took a seat beside me-still naked-and pressed his side into mine, taking up all of the space on the couch. He opened a bag of chips and began munching.

I took another sip of tea and stared at him, his hair loose and falling in thick waves around his shoulders.

He was staring at me. "Want some?" he asked, offering me the bag.

I shook my head and grimaced. "No, I'm good."

He continued staring. "When was the last time you ate, Luna?"

I shrugged. "I don't know."

He chewed. "What are you hungry for?" he asked.

I glanced at him. "What?"

"You heard me, female." He chewed some more.

It was beginning to annoy me. "Must you chew so loud?" I asked.

"Must you leave against my wishes?" he countered.

"I apologized!" I said.

"Mind your tone," he growled.

And still...he chewed.