Apprehended Ch. 19

Story Info
Annie convinces Gav to see Lily. Ethan finds out.
11.3k words
4.88
4.4k
5

Part 19 of the 31 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 08/31/2019
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Apprehended: Chapter Nineteen

I never woke before Ethan. He was the early riser; the one who made breakfast and started the day before the sun rose.

Today was different.

I woke before the light peaked over the horizon. It was dark and cold. And for all intents and purposes, it was night.

I wasn't able to sleep much and simply resting no longer held any appeal. I was replaying the nightmarish events that took place on the road. I was worried about Gavin. I was frightened of Dina. Though Ethan reassured me that she was incapacitated, something seemed off. As if some impending force lingered in the background, waiting to strike and wreak damage. I couldn't place its source. Perhaps the horror of Dina's attack marred me in some way. I wasn't sure. I only knew that this was easy.

Too easy.

Why would Dina attack an Alpha and his Beta alone? Surely she knew that the odds were not in her favor. The males of her race were bigger, stronger, and faster. Or-in Richen's words-the dominant gender.

And where did she go after she murdered Edwin?

She wasn't in town. She wasn't near the mountain's peak. She had to have taken refuge somewhere. The world was a big place. Narrowing that down wouldn't be easy.

I sighed and turned to look at Ethan. He was a quiet sleeper, rarely snoring or moving excessively. His breathing was always whisper soft and his movements slow and subtle. This morning was no different.

His hair was spread on the pillow with several wisps spilling free across his face. His lashes were thick and long, and his beard was fuller. He rarely slept, and when he did, it was in short, sporadic increments. Seeing him so still and peaceful was something that I enjoyed.

He was astonishgly beautiful.

I leaned into his warmth and pressed a soft kiss across his cheek. He smelled wonderful. I touched his soft beard and gave him one more kiss before slipping out of bed. I expected him to wake when his arm fell to the mattress, but it seemed he was exhausted; too tired to break out of the land of dreams to notice.

I slowly made my way to Ethan's dresser and grabbed one of his tee shirts. Despite my new clothes, I enjoyed wearing Ethan's clothes. On more than one occasion, I would find his eyes on me, scanning me as I walked around in his clothing. He too preferred my choice of attire.

I made my way to the living room, my leg hollering in protest. Doc Baldridge came to visit after tending to Gavin and he stitched my thigh; giving me antibiotics to prevent an infection and pain relievers to take as needed.

I made some coffee and grabbed the bottle of pills, popping one into my mouth and taking a tentative sip before swallowing. I opened the fridge. Ethan had made a grocery but seeing the various array of foods made me a little queasy.

I decided to stick with my coffee and grabbed a bag of Christmas decorations by the fireplace. I took a seat on a bar stool and opened a few boxes, lining up ornaments and kitchenware on the counter. I'd tackle the tree when Ethan got up. There was no way I would be able to lift a seven-foot tree and carry it.

Ethan could do that.

I smiled as I sipped my coffee. He was so large and strong. Having him around came in handy. I shifted my gaze to the sliding glass doors in the kitchen. A few owls hooted softly.

And I nearly spilled my coffee when the bushes moved in an unnatural way.

Shit.

The lights were on in the cabin-courtesy of me. If someone were outside, they would know that I was awake. I looked quickly to the stairs. Should I get Ethan? I didn't want to disturb him. I considered calling for him instead.

But that could raise unnecessary alarm.

The last thing I wanted him to do was run down the stairs like a bullet, thinking the worst. Besides, what if it was an animal? A raccoon or a squirrel?

I refocused on the door and got off the stool. A prickle of fear tickled down the length of my spine and I knew that this was a bad idea. I had no intention of opening the door. Ethan always locked it. But a quick look wouldn't hurt.

Just to be sure.

I hobbled to the glass and tentatively pressed my hands against the cold surface. I leaned in, my eyes shifting from left to right and back again. Despite the barren landscape, the thick brambles and tree trunks provided ample shadows and concealment. Anyone or anything could be lurking.

I sighed and made a move to step away when something flew out from the right and hit the glass door with force.

I inhaled sharply and stumbled back, landing on my ass. My leg exploded in pain and I gasped, grabbing it, and squeezing it to quell the agony.

Fuck.

I slid across the hardwood floor, ignoring the pain as I stared at what hit the glass.

A dead owl.

At least, part of a dead owl. The head, to be specific.

My eyes widened in horror.

Who would do something like that? I pressed my face against the glass, breathing erratically and looking outside. No one was there. But this was no accident.

I focused on the severed head. It was gruesome. Tendrils of meat and veins were covered in thick, coagulating blood.

I belched.

And got up in a panic, putting a hand over my mouth. The bathroom on the first floor was closest. I wasn't going to make it to the bathroom in our bedroom. I also made it a point to close the door behind me so as not to wake Ethan.

By the time I made it to the toilet, the first projectile flew forth, landing in the toilet in a rush. I heaved, feeling my gut tighten and spasm.

Ugh.

It was disgusting. I hated throwing up.

When I was done, I flushed and sat on the cold, tiled floor for a few minutes, breathing heavily.

I didn't hear the door open. Nor did I see Ethan come in.

I jerked when I felt him press against my back, wrapping an arm around my waist as he took a seat on the floor with me. "Vomiting again," he said near my ear.

It wasn't a question. It was a statement. "Yeah."

"And?" he asked. Of course, Ethan knew that something was off. The vomiting was merely the direct result of seeing that god-awful severed head.

I wiped my mouth with the back of my hand. Lying to him wasn't an option. I decided to just spill the beans. "I saw something outside."

I felt him stiffen against me. "Where?"

I pointed in the general direction of the kitchen. "Near the kitchen doors."

He stood up immediately, moving under the doorframe in less than a second. "Lock the door behind me," he snapped, closing the door.

I got up and locked it, praying that he found something...anything to put me at ease. That head was a deliberate threat. I'm not sure who planted it. I'm not sure who was out there. I only know that something wasn't right.

Ethan rapped three times against the door. "It's me, Luna."

I opened the door in a rush. He came in, his hands on his hips. "I didn't scent anything. Nor did I see anything suspicious."

I shook my head in disbelief. "You saw the head, right?"

His brows furrowed. "The what?"

I pushed passed him and hobbled towards the kitchen doors, pressing my face against the glass.

It was gone.

"Where did it go?" I opened the doors and made my way to the bushes, scanning the ground for any sign of the head.

"Have you lost your mind, female?"

Before I could finish my search, Ethan picked me up and carried me back into the cabin. "No, Ethan! The head!"

He closed the door and locked it, settling me on the couch and kneeling before me with anger in his eyes. I could tell that he was attempting to control his rage but was having difficulty. "Don't you ever do anything that foolish again, female. The darkness is not a friend. There are dangerous creatures lurking that you know nothing about."

I felt the blood drain from my face, believing every word. "But-"

He put up a finger to silence me. "No. This is not a fucking negotiation. My word is law. Especially when it concerns you. My mate. Mine." He leaned in closer. "Need I remind you that Dina is near? Despite her incapacitation, I don't trust her. I never will. Not with you. Never with you. One mistake is all it takes for a life to be lost. My brother lost his life. Do you think I want to add you to that list? I'd rather fucking die. Now, if you don't give a fuck about your own personal safety, then so be it. But I'm not willing to risk your life for blatant stupidity and a complete disregard for self-preservation."

I hadn't thought of it that way. I was trying to look for proof. I didn't want Ethan to think I had lost my marbles; freaking out over something that never happened.

He got up and ran a hand over his face, pacing in front of the fireplace. "Now tell me what you saw. I want to know everything."

I explained what I heard and saw as best as I could. I could tell Ethan wanted to interrupt me several times throughout my recap but kept his mouth shut until I was finished.

"I'll have my males do a sweep of the area to secure it," he said, turning to face me. "We'll set up watches with more males and a perimeter to avoid outside threats. But I'd like to get a few things straightened. First things first; the next time something like that happens, you get me. Is that clear?"

I nodded. "Yeah."

"And you don't take it upon yourself to take a fucking look. That glass was the only thing separating you from losing your life. I will not allow you to risk your own safety out of fucking curiosity. Be curious with me. Be nosey with me. I am your protection. Always."

"Alright," I said, getting somewhat irritated. He didn't have to berate me.

He leaned towards me, pointing a finger in my direction. "This is not a request, Annie."

"I know, Ethan. I'm sorry."

He sighed heavily. It took him a few minutes to get his anger under control, but eventually he padded across the floor and kneeled in front of me once more. He ran his fingers down the length of my face and said, "let's eat. I'll make breakfast for you. We can visit Gavin when we're done."

Despite the horror of the severed head, I yearned to see Gavin. I wanted to know how he was coming along.

"Really?"

"Yes. Really, love."

Ethan made French toast; making quick work of eating before getting ready. I couldn't seem to erase the mortifying image of the owl and didn't eat much. Ethan wasn't too enthusiastic about that.

When we were ready, we left the cabin. Ethan's eyes were scanning the area, spending extra time in the shadows surrounding the cabin. He held me closer as we progressed, and I wasn't going to object. I was thoroughly freaked.

Ethan rapped his knuckles against Gavin's door. Richen opened things up, lowering his head as he said, "Alpha." He moved to the side, letting us pass.

I assumed he was there to protect Gavin while he was recovering.

Ethan took my coat. "How is he?" he asked Richen.

"Better. I can't get him to shut the fuck up. He's determined to leave."

I wanted to laugh. I knew why he was so adamant to depart. He wanted to go into town to retrieve his mate.

"He's asking for you," said Richen.

"Let's get to it," said Ethan. He grabbed my hand and led the way upstairs.

Gavin's cabin had a similar layout to Ethan's. Gavin's, however, was smaller. I realized that these cabins also resembled the cabins below the mountain.

Ethan knocked on the bedroom door. "It's me."

"Alpha," said Gavin.

Ethan opened the door and walked in with me in tow. It felt a little awkward being in Gavin's room. I stood by the door as Ethan moved further in and began speaking to Gavin quickly. I'm not even sure they were speaking English anymore. The speed in which they communicated was pointless to try and decipher, so I waited quietly, shifting my gaze around the room. It was extremely disorganized. Clothes were strewn about the floor. Books were thrown haphazardly on some shelves by the bathroom. The television was running, and he was watching a horror movie.

The bed was no better, with various blankets knotted on top of the mattress, and unwashed plates, bowls and cups shoved into a corner with some pillows. Currently, Gavin was munching on a bowl of popcorn and chocolate.

I scrunched up my nose. It was a weird mix. One that didn't smell very appealing at the moment.

"Luna?"

I looked at the males, who were staring at me...waiting.

"Hmm?"

Gavin offered me his hand. "Come here."

I forced a smiled and shuffled over, taking a seat beside him. He grabbed my hand and kissed my knuckles, looking worse for the wear.

"How are you?" I asked.

He smiled. "Better now that you're here." He gave my hand a light squeeze and stared, cocking his head to the side as he evaluated me. "What about you?"

I glanced at Ethan briefly. He had his eyes on me. "I'm alright. I was worried about you."

"I'm tougher than I look, Luna."

"Well, you better be," I said. "Because we still have a date with your mate."

He barked out a laugh. "I'm going to hold you to that." He looked at Ethan. "Where is Dina?"

"Unconscious in a fucking shed. I have five males guarding it. She's chained. I locked the shed for good measure."

"Good," spat Gavin. "How is she faring?"

The unbidden image of Dina chained to a bed suddenly made me feel ill.

"Well enough," said Ethan. "I want her alive. Death would be humane. And easy."

Gavin nodded in agreement. Ethan spoke quickly to him again; his words so fast, I simply waited until they were done conversing in their signature inhuman way.

"You want to stay with me?" asked Gavin.

I blinked rapidly in confusion. "What?"

"I'm not going to be home," replied Ethan.

"You're leaving?"

"Yes, sweetheart."

"Well, where are you going?" I asked, not wanting him to leave.

"I have to find out who was here...who threatened you with the owl head. And Beta is more than capable of keeping you safe."

I didn't doubt that. I just didn't want Ethan to leave. He must have noticed.

"It's only for two days," he reassured me.

My eyes widened. "Two days? Two days, Ethan?"

"I don't like it any more than you do, mea vita."

I sucked back the urge to express my loathing. I hated being without him. "Where will I sleep?" I asked.

"The adjacent room," answered Gavin.

I took a peek through the door, catching sight of the spare bedroom. It wasn't large. It wasn't disorganized either. But it wasn't Ethan's cabin. It never would be.

Ethan approached me and kneeled on the floor, taking my hands in his. "I promise to come back to you quickly, belulla. My word. As long as you don't do anything life-threatening, I have no issue leaving for a few days. You stay with Gavin, Jared or Richen at all times. You are not to be alone. Is that understood, my female?"

I agreed grimly. "Yeah."

He pressed a kiss to my forehead. "We'll go pack a bag and come back in the evening."

I didn't like it. I didn't like this arrangement at all. "Will you be careful?" I asked. "Please."

"I vow it."

We left shortly thereafter, packing a bag, and spending a few hours decorating our cabin. Ethan played some Christmas music and baked cookies. I didn't eat them, but it was still nice to spend quality time with him before he left. He pegged me with a glare when I declined his cinnamon goods, but the smell was a bit nauseating.

The owl head didn't sit well with me either; constantly popping into my mind at random intervals that were graphic and unwanted.

Evening arrived too quickly. Ethan dropped me off at Gavin's, and it took longer than expected. I truly did not want him to go.

"I'll be back before you know it," he said, pressing a soft kiss against my lips.

"Just...hurry up, okay? I don't like it when you're not here. Especially after what happened."

He pulled me into his body, tucking me in close. I wrapped my arms around him and buried my face into his chest. I loved his scent. I loved being in his arms. I hated that I would be deprived when he was gone. Though it pained me to admit, our joining had its cons. The physical separation had become nearly unbearable. It was agony.

"I hate being away from you," I admitted quietly.

"Believe me, I know. But know that it is not done flippantly and without cause." He grabbed my chin and tilted my head up to look at me properly. "I have my phone. You have yours. Call me. I don't care what time it is. Alright?"

"Yes."

He lowered his head and kissed me; a deep, consuming kiss that made my knees weak. When he pulled away, I wanted to groan in frustration, but kept my mouth shut. I had to condition myself to be separated from him.

"I love you, amore," he whispered, tucking hair behind my ear.

I smiled. "I love you too."

He gave me another quick kiss before nudging me inside the cabin and closing the door with a wink.

I stood standing there, staring at the door, and sighed when I turned to head upstairs with Gavin. Just as I took the first step on the ascent, the front door burst open, colliding into the cabin's wall with force.

I turned in a panic, catching sight of Ethan, who had returned, his hot, glazed eyes on me. He stalked in and without hesitation I ran to him-the pain in my thigh non-existent. I jumped up just as he lowered himself to catch and pick me up. Our lips crashed, and I wrapped my legs around his hips and my arms around his neck.

We kissed thoroughly and desperately, a clashing of tongues and teeth. Of whispered words and promises. Of love and passion.

When he pulled away, we were both breathless; our foreheads pressed together. I played with the hair on his nape, threading my fingers through the thickness tightly; never wanting to let go.

"I'm coming back for you, my female," he promised. "I'll always come back to you."

I sighed and breathed him in...believing every word.

***

"You want a bowl?"

I focused on Gavin in the kitchen. Against Doc's orders, he was moving around, currently making another bowl of popcorn. He drizzled extra butter and tossed in some chips.

"No, I'm good," I said.

He frowned. "You don't want any?"

"I'm not really that hungry."

He looked me over. Then shrugged. "Alright. You want to watch a movie or do something else?"

I grabbed a bottle of water from his fridge and wiggled my eyebrows. "Want to go out?"

His eyes went wide. "What?"

"Go out," I repeated, taking a sip of cold water.

He gave me a look. "As in, outside of the cabin?"

I laughed. "Yes, Gav. Outside."

"This may not bother you, my Luna, but I don't wish to die right now. Especially not by the hands of my own Alpha."

I shook my head absently. "It's for a good cause."

"Such as?"

"Lily."

That seemed to shut him up. It also worked, a smile spreading across his lips. "Hells yeah, female. Let me call Richen first."

I couldn't help but feel excited even though I knew that this was a bad idea. Especially if Ethan found out. But for Gavin's sake, I was willing to accept the wrath of my mate.

I frowned. "Do we have to? He's so..."

Gavin was already texting on his phone. "He's what?"

"I don't know," I said, shrugging. "Creepy?"

Gavin chuckled. "Of course he is. He's a wolf."

"But you're not like that," I pointed out.

He continued to text, his eyes on his phone. "We all differ. Sometimes the animal is hard to contain. Look at me," he said, focusing on me and shoving his phone into his pocket. "It has taken quite a few centuries to keep the wolf at bay when I am a man."

I took another sip of water. "How old are you, exactly?"

He laughed. "Younger than Ethan, but older than you," he said, walking passed me and tapping my nose with a finger.

I jerked and nearly spilled my water when the door burst open. Cold air rushed in and Richen entered; his platinum blonde hair wet with fallen snow.

"What's doing, bro?" asked Gavin. They clapped hands briefly.