Astra Pt. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Technically I am a leader of a group and cause. This is 'a definition.' Many could call themselves one based on that definition alone. Including convict Gonzales. It was one thrust upon me by the future Tera government. Performed by the AIs who launched the mission and oversaw modifications done to me. If this is God in your eyes working in mysterious ways then you could turn any answer to be a support of one religious view over another.

I mentioned before I do not do politics. In my eyes, religion is a political hotbed I choose to not get involved with. All religions have the tenant to be good to one another. From that standpoint, I support tenants of multiple religious views and hold none of them in contempt. Next question?"

She smiled, "Mindy Morrison With Tera News. I understand what you are doing and why you are doing it. What about all the ships you brought with you? What are your plans?"

Jack nodded, "Once these prison ships are gone the next phase of colony ships will be put together for expanding Tau Ceti. It has requirements in its way bylaws dealing with Hybrid acceptance as humans. Also, the fact that the colony would be a diplomatic way station if you will for humanity to establish contact with other peaceful alien species. Hopefully, more peaceful relationship than what has happened recently. A second attack occurred earlier today.

Another Brisen time travel attack that I have not talked in detail with the President about yet. I informed him but we have not had a detailed discussion yet. I learned of it shortly before coming on the air. It destroyed 10 of our fighters and 2 of our cruisers with the crews. I had 6 of my children die in the defense of Tau Ceti. Including Isabelle Travus. Fighter pilot brilliant personality, smart like her mother Danyelle.

I have very few children from Danyelle because of these 2 attacks and losing her so soon in our marriage. Isabelle believed in defending humanity. I was training fighter pilots at her age. I was certified on 5 airframes by the time I was 14. If we would have gotten attacked while in the air at Tera you bet, I would have engaged at 14, let alone 16. 16 is the minimum age to serve in the Home Guard and by then you have been training for 3-4 years.

You also have to have parental or guardian permission to do it before 18. You saw 12 of my adult sons, 18-19 years old sons, fly the Death Valley course. First time on that course and they all crushed it for rookies in fully armored and armed fighters with FTL drives in them."

His XO, Zack, came up and whispered in his ear, "Tera-3 is on comms unknown ships appear. Jupiter station picked them up. They are 14 hours away from Jupiter and 22 hours away from Tera at 2x if they are Brisen. 40 ships. 8 of which are Capital Ships."

Jack looked at him, "XO, execute evac of children and mother unfit for flying because they are restricted from combat. Sprits included. All civilians as well. To Tera-7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12. Spread them out. Use all shuttles."

He looked across the room, "Battle stations. Launch all ships!" He looked at the news reporters. "I must cut this short. We have a crisis. Astra killed it." President Grendal appeared, "Is this what you feared it would be?"

Jack nodded, "If they appeared here, we need to check Tau Ceti. They were going to launch 18 sets in groups of 3 according to the intel they got from one of the destroyed ships. That is 6 sets of 60 ships EACH! I built a decoder for their computer systems with Astra's help. If they did not show up in Tau Ceti and we only have 2 groups here it is likely the other 4 are on the outer belt. Have Saturn and Jupiter stations report in with all ships working out in that area.

They make or see contact on sensors with any ship not squawking a Tera or Ceti ID, they are to put it in full gear back to Tera and move away from them. They are no match if it is them. Their engines are their best weapons as they cannot keep up with what your military has already. Report and retreat are my recommendations, Mr. President. To save your forces."

President Grendal nodded, "I will send the word. I want any battle footage you get to show congress and our Military."

Jack nodded, "One way or the other. You find a reliable Admiral yet to assume command?"

President Grendal laughed, "I am doing a little more rigorous review process. The man she was buggering was a guy just out of basic and he essentially told her he was gay so she treated him as gay. More charges. I got someone who will look after our best interest."

Jack nodded and hit the broadcast button. "This is Command Admiral Jack Travus of the Ceti Home Guard and to all stations. Battle stations. All Tera fighters are on alert. All Tera ships gather between Luna and Venus approximately halfway. If this is who we think it is, hit them from range and use your speed. They hit hard and play for keeps!

You are the second line of defense in this case. Ceti Home Guard, you are getting course directions. We assess and engage if they are hostile only, we know the Brisen are hostile. Five-second delay 6x. Engage! Astra, get us comms to Tau Ceti to see if they are getting hit again!"

Astra responded, "No attack there, your theory is sound thus far."

Jack nodded, "If they are plowing through the asteroid belt or looking for an easy opening it will take time and they are slow. Time to intercept?"

Zack looked over, "They appear to be changing course and headed for us 6 hours out."

Jack called out, "This is the Admiral to all drone operators. I want the supervisors to assign 12 drone operators to execute 'Plan Oscar,' 6 operators per ship. Starting with their battleships. Get them docked and refueled now. Every operator on one target. All others, take down those shields for our fighters. Fighters will hang back with the rest of the fleet. Clear opening for the Dreadnoughts to take point.

Fleet slow to let Dreadnoughts take point. They like to target the big ships first. We will put them in front. You get close to being in range shut down all forward momentum and launch all drones. Then get your guns ready to dance. Back up your ships to keep them at a far distance range. They have no idea who or what they are fucking with."

Astra contacted him in his head, "Saturn station said they just lost contact with TRD Victus. They transmitted back they were working in corridor 12. Picked up a bunch of energy signatures for ships. Then something exploded in the asteroid field. It is on the other side of the system!"

Jack called out, "I need one volunteer for a suicide run with me!"

He heard back, "King Arthur, running with you is always fun and never suicide. I volunteer. What do you need?"

Jack sighed, "CHGSD-1 base drop out of FTL. XO Dock us, King Artur Dock and in my office, Commander Gavin, once we are docked, get to my office. Commander Ashton, no need to tell you that you need to adjust to 12 operators on that base, and to take over is there?"

He laughed, "No Admiral. I got this group. We shove the special drones down their barrels, heat them, and light them up! Base commander, Rotate assignments. I need 12 drone pilots on those targets. Put 2 pilots to manage reserves."

Jack called out, "We are going after the other 80 ships."

He heard from one of his sons, Nathan who was a fighter pilot, "Admiral, contrary to what was just said, that does sound like a suicide mission."

Jack called out, "Stay focused on your mission and always assume I have a plan, my son."

Jack looked at the XO, "We docked?"

He nodded, "Just docked."

He called out, "Astra, my office. I need your navigational skills."

He went into his office which was a lot nicer than the one on the Excalibur. He threw up a large display. Zack, Gavin, Michael, and Astra walked in and he rotated the map. "Astra, location of the Victus?" She pointed. He looked at it, "Best time to get to the belt?"

She looked, "From here, almost 24 hours."

Jack looked at Astra, "Time for them to clear the belt?"

She looked and sighed, "If they are moving at 2x, maybe 16 hours."

Jack looked, "Think outside the box, Astra. The safest point for us to FTL from this location near that target.

Astra looked at Jack, "You want to WHAT?!"

Jack nodded, "I know you can compensate for the Sun. This is a Short burst on FTL to get us closer to where we need to be. We need to catch them in the corridor and do an 'admiral' fly-by. Use waypoints and 2 jumps to split the journey."

Astra looked at him, "You wanted the second ship for?"

He rotated the map, "From up here. One in front, and one in back. Crossing the corridor at an angle at the zero-plane."

Astra nodded, "Well you are not flying right at them." She pointed. "18 seconds."

Gavin called out, "Flight control change heading to 234 set the up angle 10 degrees. Move hands away from controls. Astra, activate FLT."

She nodded as they jumped across but it shook violently and she stopped. "Sorry, 15 seconds. I was getting a little nervous at the shaking."

Jack nodded, "All stations, Hull inspections. We just used FTL in a system. Set up the next location to get us in position."

Astra nodded. "This point."

Jack nodded, "Change heading and Contact Tau Ceti. Let them know we got 2 groups here. Two-thirds of the next group could end up there."

Astra looked over, "They just arrived!"

Jack heard, "Commander Ashton reporting in. Plan Oscar worked like a charm. Blew all of their big gun batteries."

Jack told Astra, "Transmit plan Oscar to Tau Ceti and tell them to try it. NOW!"

Astra nodded, "Sent. Paul said to tell you thanks. It might help. I told him it worked here."

Not a minute later Astra responded, "He screamed for joy as the drones did what they were supposed to do. He said you are a fucking mad scientist!"

Jack nodded, "It also means we have 100 ships to contend with. Will the first 80 wait for the next 20 and 60 to follow?"

"Admiral to the factory. Load up the next set of storage containers. We might be mining our way back through the asteroid belt!"

Jack heard, "We have three per location. The first set is full still from our arrival. Putting empty bins in place Admiral."

He heard back from Zack, "Structural checks done. Ships are fine."

Jack looked at Astra, "2,000 km up. Again."

Astra sighed, " Heading 045 15 degrees up. 12 seconds of FTL engaging."

The ship shook but not near as bad as they moved away from the sun. They added over 2,000 km of height to the approach with the two jumps.

Jack looked, "They have held at the corridor entrance. Relay us through Saturn station to Tera. Conduct hull inspections again."

She nodded, President Grendal looked up, "How does the fight go?"

Jack shook his head, "You lost the Victus on the other side, in corridor 12. Reported a bunch of energy signatures and something exploded in the belt. That is what is holding them up. They are working to clear the damage they did to the corridor. I took my base, battleship, and King Arthur.

We are going to destroy 100 to 160 ships using the asteroids on either side of that corridor. If our intel is right then we will still have another 40 coming at the Jupiter location. Connect in Commander Ashton."

She nodded. The connection was bounced between Saturn to Jupiter to the other Dreadnaught. He called out, "Force put down, we lost one scout and three fighters."

Jack sighed, "Contact their mothers."

He sighed, "Sorry to say one was one of Sprits' sons, Martin. He got hit by 3 ships at once in one heck of a crossfire. They damaged their ships badly to kill him. He was fucking up their world."

Jack nodded, "Understood. Let me know when you see the next 40 on the horizon. Any ship too damaged is grounded."

Ashton replied, "We got a few of those including Steve's ship, Marin's twin."

Jack nodded, "Get him on the bridge. I do not want him stealing someone else's ride. We both know he would do it. He is likely pissed off and I want him on the bridge working at tactical until he is calm and rational."

He nodded, "I will assign him to tactical until his ship is ready."

Ashton asked, "How is your plan coming?"

Jack groaned, "We are in position after 2 in system FTL jumps."

President Grendal yelled at him, "You what!?"

Jack nodded, "Only way to be sure we could catch them in the corridor. Tau Ceti got hit again so we know we likely got 100 ships out here. My son sees 40 more of them. We will know we have 160 ships out here."

He called out, " They are here, 3 hours out if we stay put." Jack thought about it, "Meet them halfway. Do not want them to see the damage we did to their ships and trying to run toward Jupiter station. Astra, check with Tau Ceti. Find out if they got 20 or 40." She turned around, "20...No wait another 20 just dropped in. He said they got them as their drone pilots are getting better at stuffing the barrels."

President Grendal asked, "What?"

Jack sighed, "You remember me telling you 40mm shells? Those drones are 35 mm round and 4 meters long with point defense lasers and can move at FTL speeds. Miniaturized FTL and system drives. Not enough fuel to go for more than 30 seconds in FTL when full, but they could double as non-explosive missiles.

They have another function to deploy 5mm wide Titanium-H fins. Six of them. We put a few in the barrels, deploy the fins, and when they fire they destroy their guns. Sword and shield, Mr. President."

President Grendal nodded, "Yes, you built a counter to their weapon and a copy of their design to hit them with it."

Jack commented, "That last jump put 200 ships in our area with me."

Ashton reported, "We engaged the drones and took care of their big guns. I held fighters back and pummeled them at range with all of the big guns. The second fleet was destroyed. Orders?"

Jack called out, "Salvage any intel and use the refinery to clean up the garbage at both locations. Pushing biomatter out into space if it is not burned off. We have no facilities for holding any survivors. Best to give them a quick death as they are being hunted by the Drakor."

He nodded, "Performing search and clean up. What is your plan there?"

Jack sent him the image and what they planned to do. Ashton looked at it, "Fucking brilliant. FTL drives through that corridor."

President Grendal asked, "What does that do exactly?"

Jack sighed, "It means while there is no air in space an FTL drive does have a resonance wake that will move nearby objects like that closer to the FTL drive's path. That is why when they do FTL jumps as a group precautions are taken.

They are spread out and stagger the jumps to give some distance between each wave. Smaller ships have less of an effect than big ships. They can move closer together for security once they jump. Slow movements."

Astra pointed "They appeared to be in groups of 40!"

Jack nodded, "Separate the base, Astra you will be on the base, coordinate my actions with Gavin. Tell all pilots the course, Lieutenant Michael you will shoot in on the front of those ships. In front of group 1. Commander Gavin, the base will go between groups 2 and 3. I will take the battleship through 4 and 5. We will align vectors and have Astra sync our FTL start so we all hit that zero-plane at the same time."

Astra nodded, "Understood. Heading back to the base."

Jack nodded. "Deploy two observation satellites to monitor. I want to know if anything survives."

Zack chuckled, "Mr. President all ships will have all exterior cameras and two overhead satellites. You will have great combat footage from here."

Jack ended the call.

Jack heard from Astra, "They appear to be slowing. I think they spotted us."

Jack nodded, "All ships in positions?" He got three thumbs up. "Align our vectors pilots be ready to adjust course if they get wildly stupid. Deploy drones at FTL to take out those big guns. Have them launch with my ship so they are ahead of the Carrier Base. All drone pilots on the Dreadnought. Drop shields and stuff them all. Astra has the FTL sync. Go!"

She sent the battleship ahead by 1.5 seconds with the drones going .5 seconds before them. Some surrounded the battleship going in. Followed by the Carrier Base, and .5 seconds for King Arthur. He looked down, "They are speeding up again. Adjust course!"

Astra called out, "They are moving fighters in our way!"

Jack nodded, "Fire forward-facing laser weapons only. Then crash through the debris. Turn on PD lasers. We got power they do not know about. Fire rail guns only if targets are aligned. No course changes for rail guns. We will show them everything for what little time remains of their sorry lives. Drone pilots, I expect drones will be sacrificed in this effort. Understand that it is an expected and acceptable loss. Do the best you can. King Arthur, you use lasers but stay ahead of them so you do not have to go shooting through debris."

He heard, "Where is the fun in that? Will comply. Still all my fun."

Jack shook his head. Michael was a lot like him when he flew fighters. He called out, "I will turn out at 7 seconds beyond Zero plan, Astra, tell the commander 11 seconds. King Arthur, 20 seconds. We head for the backside of the field to regroup."

---

King Arthur came in closer than his father would have liked. Michael had 144 drones in front of his path firing on each of the Battleships to bring down their shields. Then they headed in for the guns. From the 8 Capital Ships that had 2 of those rail guns on each ship. He got hit by 3 rail guns out of 9 that fired at him. Another 7 of them ate themselves from the drones.

Two shots banked off his armor. The third struck his engine housing. 5 seconds after the zero plane and his FTL drive was offline. He immediately upped his shields and punched it up to 6x system drive as the next round of shells hit. There were 3 fewer than expected as those guns exploded.

He had rotated his ship to put the engines away from the guns once he was up to speed. He was closer to the inside of the rim than the outside. "King Arthur to Merlin. Lost FTL drive. On STD at 6x but I'm closer to the inner ring."

Jack responded, "Head for Tera, King Arthur!"

Michael smiled, "Heading for Tera, King Arthur out."

---

Gavin Travus was in the chair but he was getting direction through Astra. Not unusual as she was a big part of that ship. He yelled at the woman at tactical, "KILL the fighters damn it. The other stuff is just garbage. Clear our path!"

The drone commander reported in. "We have 6 no 8 barrels stuffed at the moment."

The young tactical officer had not been in real combat before. Tyler Homes who was 17. She liked her commander but he barely gave her the time of day. She knew part of it was her age. The admirals on this mission would kill him for having sex with an underage subordinate. She turned 18 in 3 days; then she would let her feelings be known.

She stayed focused but they still smashed through 7 undamaged fighters and 9 scraped ones. He looked, "Shields went down, we are powered up secondary shields. We took several rounds of fire from that into the hull."

Gavin heard, "Commander, The drones destroyed 9 guns in that exchange."

Gavin called out, "Rearview?" He watched as the ships and rocks started colliding together.

The ship turned out and they switched cameras to get images.

---

Jack had one of his daughters Nancy Travus at tactical. She crushed the enemy while he handled the PD weapons. He shook his head as 6 of those rail guns struck 4 from one side and 2 from the other. He heard, "Drone commander to Admiral, they got 6 stuffed and destroyed. They are going for more in case they fire after you."

All systems showed fine. The pilot screeched out, "FUCK!"

She took the nose section of an enemy heavy scout and the Kanata took a lot of damage to the nose.

1...56789...13