Athena Grows Up

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Athena laughed. "You mean before I REALLY hurt myself?"

"Don't put words in my mouth," he chuckled. "But yeah."

She punched him on the shoulder, and they headed for the still-open window.

Brian backed out first, feet searching for the ladder. He was quickly secure on the second step.

"Okay, back out carefully, I'm right here," he cautioned.

Athena backed out the window, following Brian's example, and when her feet were on the top step, she felt his arm go around her waist.

"When I say go, step down with your right foot, and I'll do the same."

"Brian, I'm good."

"You'll be good when you get to the ground. Until then, just do what I say."

Athena wasn't used to having someone give her orders that way, and her natural rebelliousness was trying to assert itself.

"Brian," she said sternly.

"Athena," he answered with an assertiveness that wasn't at all familiar.

She took a deep breath, waiting.

"Ready, go," he said, and they stepped down, his arm still securely holding her. "One more now. Go," and they were on the ground, Brian reluctantly releasing her, his heart pounding at the memory of her body being pressed tight against his.

"Thank you," she said quietly as she smiled at him. "Now we need to plan our next trip. I want to see more of that place."

"Me too," Brian replied as he folded the ladder and headed toward his car, excited at the thought of another night here with the dream who was right behind him.

On the drive to her house, something happened that she had anticipated from the moment she saw the look on his face as she lay on the floor in the old house. He asked her to dinner on Saturday night. Warily she accepted, not sure how she felt about Brian.

* * * * *

"Hey, sis. Where's that big hubby of yours?"

Freya eyed her sister suspiciously. "Why do you need to know where Grig is?"

"Since I'm getting such good grades, I need to ask him what it's like to be Dr. Lebedev.

"Wait, you haven't even started college yet, and you're thinking about a Ph.D.?"

At that moment, Grig came through the door, kissed Freya, and hugged Athena.

"Have I interrupted something," he asked, interpreting the looks on both faces.

"Athena wants to talk to you about being a Ph.D."

Grig chuckled. "As my American friends say, that plus about two dollars and fifty cents will get you coffee at Starbucks. If you want to get Ph.D. in physics, I will help. Otherwise, you're on your own." He finished that with a laugh. "But being professor means I have to leave to teach very bored students about physics." He gave Freya another kiss and disappeared out the door.

"So," Freya began, eying her sister. "Now that you're talking about Ph.D.'s, does that mean you're off to college in the fall?"

"Instead of?"

"Getting a motorcycle."

"Oh. Eh ..." She was eying Freya right back.

"Listen, I want you to go to college, and right away."

"Freya, I think —"

"No, here's the deal," Freya interrupted. "I'll give you the money to get a cycle if you promise to go right to college."

Athena's mouth dropped open. "Give me the money?" she questioned, an incredulous look on her face.

"It would be a loan. You can pay me back whenever you can."

"I don't like owing people things, particularly money," she replied, looking at Freya out of the corner of her eye. She suddenly jumped up and threw her arms around her sister. "But that's the nicest thing anyone has ever done for me." They hugged for long seconds, then Athena drew back.

"But I already decided. I'd have to get lots of other stuff too, helmet, leather jacket, the whole nine yards. If I had it, I'd want to ride it; probably feel like I had to ride it in the rain, the snow, the freezing cold. I decided it would be my reward for graduating." She was smiling broadly now.

"That sounds great. A big relief too, particularly for Dad."

"You're the best sister ever, Freya. I can't believe you'd do that for me."

"If you really get that Ph.D., you know I'll have to get one too. You're not getting ahead of me."

The room filled with loud but very warm laughter.

* * * * *

"So, how many dates have you had with Brian now?" Susan punched Athena's shoulder. "Uh oh, why the sad look?"

"Because I'm a bitch," Athena answered, disgust in her voice.

"Keep going," Susan encouraged, "even though I don't believe you."

"I've had four dates with Brian. We get along fine, you know. He's such a polite, sweet, kind ... guh." She put both hands to her face.

"No sparks, though."

She peeked at Susan through her fingers, gently shaking her head.

"That doesn't make you a bitch."

"It will when I have to tell him I don't want to date him anymore, just have him as a friend. That's how I started it and what I wanted. Why'd he have to spoil it?"

Susan reached into her purse, pulled out her cell phone, punched it a couple of times, and held it up in front of Athena. It had the camera app with the picture flipped, so she was looking at her face on the screen.

"See anything there that might make a guy ask you for a date?"

"That's why I don't like to get involved with boys — too damn much drama. I freaking hate that. The time together isn't worth the torment that breaking up causes."

Susan eyed her skeptically. "You sure that's all?"

"Isn't that enough?" She curled her nose at her best friend. It wasn't all, of course, but she wasn't going to share the rest of it with Susan.

"I don't believe you, but I know you aren't going to tell me more, so I'll drop it."

"Thanks."

* * * * *

Sometimes I hate myself, Athena thought as she waited by Brian's car. She knew he'd be by soon as this was as good a time as any. It wasn't a good time at all — it was an awful time. But she needed to tell him. She was lamenting that she'd said yes to the several dates they'd had even though she'd had a good time on all of them. The problem was that they hadn't seemed like dates but instead just hanging out with a friend. That was on her and a big part of what she hated.

She saw him and took a deep breath. She was hurting already and hadn't started yet; this just punctuating how she felt about dating. But he was by the car, and she needed to say something.

Brian looked at her.

"Go ahead, say it. I've been expecting it." He had a half-smile on his face.

Athena had a puzzled look. What was he saying?

"Look, pretty girl. I didn't have illusions of us being a couple. You're the homecoming queen, and I'm nerdy Brian, who wrote a ghost story, and you chose me to help you poke around the old Whitaker mansion. I enjoyed every second I spent with you. I REALLY enjoyed the looks I got from the other guys when I was with you."

Now it was Athena's turn to look at Brian, whose cheeks had reddened slightly.

"Kind of fooled you, huh?" he said.

"Pretty much so, yeah." She was not used to being surprised as she was usually the one creating that reaction. But somehow, the pain was disappearing.

"You thought you were going to have to tell me, but your face said it before you had a chance."

"I'm sorry, Brian. You're a great guy. I don't know what's wrong with me sometimes."

He laughed. "I don't see much wrong with you, that's for sure."

She shook her head.

"If you want to explore the mansion some more, I'm in?"

Athena sighed. "You've been a great friend, Brian. I hope that stays."

"I'm good with that."

Now relaxed, Athena was thinking back.

"When you were talking about the other guys before, you got all embarrassed. It didn't seem to fit."

Brian had a wary look like he might be ready to run.

"How come?" she asked, grinning.

"Not going there," he said, a pleading look on his face.

Of course, Athena couldn't let that pass.

"You better tell," she said. "Friends share."

"Not this," was his quick reply as his face reddened even more.

Athena stepped closer to him. "You better tell," she threatened. "You don't want me trying to imagine what it might be."

"You're really going to make me tell?"

"I will never let you forget it if you don't ... and eventually you will."

"Shit. Okay, turn around, so you're not looking at me."

Athena giggled and turned around.

"Swear you'll never say a word about this to anyone?"

"I guess," she laughed.

"All the guys wanted to know ... oh jeez ... if I had a big dick and that's why you were dating me."

Athena snorted and burst out laughing.

"Don't turn around," Brian said. "Aren't you sorry you made me tell?"

"Guys are such jerks. High school guys anyway." She was shaking her head since that was the last thing that would make her date someone. "I'm turning around," she declared.

Brian's eyes were closed. "I'm embarrassed to look at you."

"Don't be," she assured him. "We need to plan our next trip to the mansion."

He opened his eyes and squinted at her. "You're not like anyone else I know," he said, grinning again.

"I hope not," she answered.

* * * * *

Almost before she was ready for it, September arrived, and Athena was wandering around the college campus looking for the buildings where her classes would be. Grig had spent the summer talking to her about physics and had her reading about quantum entanglement, which led her to research relativity. She didn't understand too much of their complication, but the basic concepts were so far out they fascinated her, and Grig challenged her to learn more. She had signed up for his physics course and would see how she liked that. She was curious about what it might be like to have him as a teacher.

The first day, not wanting to be perched right in front of Grig, she took a seat halfway back in the classroom. When he came in and began introducing himself, the girl behind her nudged Athena's shoulder.

"I had to take a physics course, and my friend told me to be sure to get Dr. Lebedev. She's right. He's a hunk, isn't he? Kind of delicious." She giggled. "Looks like he's married, though. Damn."

Athena shook her head, sighed, and looked over her shoulder at her neighbor.

"Yeah, he's married to my sister."

A shocked, "No shit? Sorry." A short pause followed by a giggle. "Should get you an A, though."

"I wish," she replied with a laugh, knowing Grig would probably be extra tough on her.

Suddenly she heard her name.

"Athena, would you please stand up?"

Warily Athena stood.

"So all are aware, this is my sister-in-law who will be in class this term." He chuckled. "Before you think she will have special favor, I will tell you that ninety to one-hundred will be A for all except her. She will need ninety-three to one-hundred for A.'"

The sound of laughter filled the room as Athena blushed. She knew he'd be fair with her but somehow, she'd repay her brother-in-law for this. She sat down.

"He's a cool guy, isn't he," that same girl whispered in her ear.

Athena wasn't sure that's the way she'd describe him at this moment.

With the extra reading she was doing, probing both relativity and quantum mechanics and entanglement, and the weekend tutoring she received from Grig, the physics class was a breeze. He was very conscious of her presence in the class and often had her at the blackboard, defining the solution to a complicated problem. It was quickly apparent that she didn't need favors from the professor to get a high grade.

The semester ended with Athena smiling. It was hard not to smile with the near-perfect marks she'd received. Other than that, it had been a dull semester. She had turned down three date requests, not wanting any possible drama to interfere with her life.

Between Christmas and New Year, Brianne stopped by to give her mother-in-law a gift she had forgotten to bring on Christmas morning. But she was happy to see Athena.

"You racked up a four-point, even with taking a course from your brother-in-law?"

"That was the easy part, except that he had me teaching the class half the time," she added with a laugh.

"I heard you're working on some pretty advanced stuff."

"Grig's trying to talk me into majoring in physics."

"Is it working?"

"Guh! I'm afraid it might be. Trying to decide if I want to be a physics nerd."

"Don't think that'll be a problem. You busy tomorrow night?" She'd quickly changed the subject.

"Naw, why?

"Come to our place for dinner. Grig and Freya will be there ... someone else too."

Athena's alarms instantly went off. Her older brother was always trying to fix her up or arrange a date for her, and she was suspicious of this innocent-sounding invitation as well. But she was free.

"Thanks, Bree. Dare I ask who the mystery guest might be."

"No. Just be there," Brianne said with a big smile.

* * * * *

Athena spent most of the next day nibbling on Christmas cookies and wondering what Dom and Brianne were up to. She knew Dom worked with some very eligible bachelors, although most of them were a little older than she was and somewhat more established in their lives.

In the mid-afternoon, she showered, picked over her clothing, finally deciding on black slacks that would emphasize her long legs along with a bright red turtleneck sweater for essential warmth. It looked a little like Christmas too. She remembered that Dom and Bree were environmentally-conscious and kept their thermostat at sixty-three. Their mothers agreed that would change once they had a baby.

She bundled herself in her warm down coat and drove very carefully to the other Kaminski home. Brianne greeted her, helped her stash the puffy coat in the hall closet, and the two of them headed to the living room where Athena greeted Dom, Freya, and Professor Lebedev, grinning broadly at Grig. Before she could look around further, she heard a voice.

"Hi."

She froze, her breath catching in her throat. Turning slowly, she saw the shoulder-length hair, the two-day growth of beard, the sparkling eyes, and the big smile.

"Hi, Flint," she said as he stretched his arms toward her. In a few seconds, she was engulfed by a hug she'd craved for three years without being aware of it. Her heart was pounding so hard she was afraid she might pass out. The familiar smell of his cologne, the feel of his body against hers, all things that she had missed so much in the time he had been away, without even realizing what effect its absence had on her life. Flint stepped back from the hug, but his hands held her shoulders.

"Little girl, you've grown up," he said.

The "little girl" hurt just a bit, but the "you've grown up" and the look she was getting quickly erased the pain. He gazed into her eyes, then let his slowly trail down her body, then back to her face, his head moving gently from side to side in disbelief.

She was aching to know what thoughts were in his head and if they matched hers in even the slightest way.

"Ridden any motorcycles lately?" he questioned, his eyes twinkling with his smile.

"No, but I'm ready ... anytime," she answered, hoping her eagerness wasn't overly apparent.

A colossal laugh from Flint. "I didn't ride here tonight, but I can go home and get it if you really want."

"Thank you," she said, wishing she could do it, instead adding, "but can I take a rain check?"

"I'd give you my motorcycle permit as a rain check, but it's an endorsement on my driver's license, so that wouldn't work unless you'd be willing to drive me everywhere." He chuckled as he said that.

Athena knew instantly that she'd be willing to do that if he'd let her, but she wasn't quite ready to be that eager.

Once more, she coveted the thoughts that dwelt in the head of the man she had missed so desperately without even realizing it. He was why Brian didn't have a chance, why the several others she had encountered were doomed before the first date.

She glanced at the other four in turn; each looked at her with a smile, and she was sure all recognized what was happening to her. Her mind could barely deal with the questions regarding how Flint was seeing her. A little girl or grown-up?

Surprisingly, it was Grig who seemed to read her mind.

"Athena is protege of mine," he said, smiling at her. "She was outstanding in physics class and is now learning relativity and quantum mechanics along with quantum entanglement. She is ready for advanced physics, and I anticipate being in ceremony when she receives Ph.D. hood."

"Whoa," Flint said, eyebrows raised. He looked at Athena. "On our cycle ride, you'll have to tell me all about that."

Athena thought he was looking at her with a new appreciation.

The sound of a bell caught Brianne's ear, and she jumped up and ran to the kitchen, all eyes following her.

From the kitchen, they heard her voice. "We better eat right now if we don't want ashes for dinner."

They gathered and ate, Athena tucked in next to Flint due to Brianne's perceptive seating arrangement.

She was taking a bite of potatoes when she felt Flint's breath against her ear.

"When are we going for a ride?" he whispered.

She swallowed the potatoes without chewing. "I'm on break, so I'm free anytime," she whispered, leaning close to his ear, again overwhelmed by his cologne.

"Hey!" Dom said, "no secrets allowed."

"We've got secrets," Flint laughed, then looked at Athena. "And we're going to have more."

He leaned in again, and this time, his lips touched her ear. She closed her eyes, hoping she'd be able to hear what he'd whisper.

"How about tomorrow?" he asked, putting his hand against her face to shield their whispering from the others.

"Perfect. Just pick a time," she said, her hand against his face this time.

"Is this going to go on all evening?" Freya teased.

Athena nearly melted when Flint threw his arm around her shoulders.

"We've got a lot to catch up on," he said, squeezing her shoulders. "Right?" he added, looking at her from a foot away.

"Yeah," she answered, a triumphant smile on her face.

Another squeeze from Flint, and he released her.

They continued to eat with Athena getting knowing smiles from the two couples, particularly Freya and Brianne.

Flint leaned over again and whispered, "Ten o'clock, okay?"

Athena nodded as Freya giggled. This time Athena's cheeks flushed. Having Flint whisper to her was well worth the embarrassment. She was happy to let it continue.

Dinner finally over, the six of them headed to the living room. The two couples seemed to be hurrying, and when Athena and Flint got there, the only place available for them was the two-position loveseat. Flint took her arm and guided her, and they sat down together.

Lots of laughing and chatter, more whispering about tomorrow's ride and, finally, their evening was over. Athena got another wonderful hug from Flint. She felt as though she was floating as she headed for her car.

Back inside, four sets of eyes were on Flint. He looked from one to the other.

"Well?" Freya asked.

"Shit, she's grown up and gotten gorgeous, hasn't she?" he said, working to answer the non-verbal questions aimed at him while obviously searching himself to determine his feelings.

"She wanted to get a cycle when she graduated from high school but decided to wait and make it a reward for graduating from college," Freya noted.

"Sounds like that should be a given from what you said, Grig."

"Yes, I love working with her. She picks up things so quickly."

"Sounds like it will be fun to go riding tomorrow. I may learn some things." The smile on his face caused warm feelings to run through both Freya and Brianne. They both loved Flint as well as Athena and hoped that things worked out.

* * * * *

Athena had to caution herself several times on the way home to concentrate on her driving — her mind was drifting away, filled with thoughts of motorcycle rides and times of being with Flint. The smile on her face stayed there the whole time.