Athena Grows Up

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Guh," Athena grumbled. "Take me away from this, please."

"My pleasure."

Flint helped her with her coat, and they were out the front door and on the way to their first date.

Flint had left the motor running, and the warmth inside the car felt wonderful, driving away the sub-freezing air outside.

"Seafood or steak?" he asked.

Athena pondered a second. "What do you like?" she replied, knowing she enjoyed both.

"Tonight is your choice," he countered. "Next time, I'll choose."

"Seafood then?"

"Seafood it shall be. Mitchell's at Easton."

A twenty-minute drive, and they were parking outside Mitchell's.

Athena looked at the restaurant and then at Flint.

"Flint, this looks expensive."

"It is," he assured her with a smile.

She sighed. "You don't need to do this, you know."

"You'd have been happy with McDonald's, right?"

"Yes, of course."

He took hold of her hands.

"Miss Athena. I've been gone for three years. I've missed so much of your life, your growing up. I tease you about that, but you can't know what I see and feel. We've missed motorcycle rides, talking, all those things that we did when you were fifteen. I have three years to make up for. Let me do it."

"You don't need to make up for anything." She bit her lower lip, shaking her head to keep him from interrupting. "I didn't know that I was missing you until I saw you last night. So, there's nothing to make up for."

He gazed at her for long seconds.

"Point well-taken. I think we match nicely on that. Nevertheless, now that we're both aware of how we felt ... and feel, just let me make up to you for those three years, and I'll let you do the same."

"Okay," she said, leaning forward and joining their lips. She heard a low murmur from Flint. "That's a start," she said, pulling away slowly — their first real kiss, not counting the one at the park earlier.

"Taking you to dinner is pretty feeble after that," he said softly, shaking his head.

"Nothing you do is feeble," she assured him. "Now, let's go eat."

They ran from the car to the restaurant, the air chilling after the warmth of the car.

"Oh my gosh," she said to Flint when they were inside. "This is so ... plush. I'm more used to the dining room at college. Not quite like this," she laughed.

They were seated, and after a little chatter, they opened the menus. Athena kicked Flint's leg under the table to get his attention. She raised her eyebrows, looking at him accusingly.

He smiled, reading her expression perfectly.

"You don't think you're worth it?" he quipped quietly.

"No, I don't," was her prompt reply. "Flint, this is ridiculous. I'm just a struggling college freshman, and you're ..." She stopped abruptly, her eyes locked with his.

"Go on," he encouraged. "If we're going to be together, we have to be honest and not hide things." His smile was reassuring.

"You're an established businessman, who's traveled the world and ... I'm wondering what you're doing here with me."

"And you don't think that an established businessman can wonder what a beautiful woman like you is doing going to dinner with him?"

"It's not the same."

"Want to explain that?"

"I can't. I don't want to. I don't know." She was still trying to deal with this totally new experience.

"I guess you'll just have to accept it then unless you want to dump me on our first date."

"That's not funny," she giggled. "And you know it."

"No more outlandish than your big pause a couple of minutes ago."

"I know," she relented. "It's just, every once in a while, I'm fifteen again, and all this going to dinner and singing to you in the park doesn't make sense. Does that make sense?" she laughed.

"I'm not in your head yet, and you're not in mine. But we'll get there. Now, let's order."

Athena looked through the menu again and sighed.

"I think I'll have a sardine and a glass of water, but that would probably be twenty dollars."

Flint couldn't restrain his laughter.

"Just look at the words and ignore the numbers. That'll work."

"I'll try."

It was challenging to do, and she nearly winced with every word she spoke while ordering. She couldn't imagine that food could be so expensive, but here at Mitchell's, it was. Flint had asked, on the trip to the restaurant, if lobster tails were among her favorites and, foolishly, she had said they were, never dreaming ... But, he insisted she order them, despite her nearly panicked look when she'd had to do it. She'd added a twice-baked potato and refused to order anything else, despite his urgings to do so.

"White or red," he'd asked as the waiter was about to leave their table.

"White," she replied with a giggle. "But make the white sparkling water."

A laugh from Flint as he picked a merlot for himself.

"I hope that didn't embarrass you," he said apologetically. "I've been in Italy for quite a while, and things are a little different there."

"Not at all."

The waiter was quickly back with his wine and her sparkling water.

"You did foul up my plan, though, to get you drunk and take advantage of you." His eyes sparkled as he teased her.

"That's probably what you did with all your Italian girlfriends, wasn't it?" she replied, teasing right back.

For an instant, Flint looked away, then quickly laughed.

"I don't even have lots of American girlfriends," he said.

That hadn't answered her question ... or maybe it had. She wasn't about to dwell on it, however.

He had suggested she might be too naive, but she was not naive enough to think he hadn't had girlfriends, both in the US and in Italy. He had been there, by himself, off and on for three years. What normal guy wouldn't want some company? And she'd seen pictures of some of those Italian women. Obviously, nothing permanent, though.

She was relieved when their food arrived, and the exquisite tastes occupied her mind, pushing away the thoughts of Flint's possible Italian girlfriends.

"You're quiet," he suggested, cracking open a frog leg. "You thinking of anything special?"

"Just you," she replied.

"I'm not that complicated nor interesting," he chuckled, "so it should be a quick process."

She looked at him thoughtfully as she chewed a bite of lobster tail. She'd forgotten about its texture, the taste of the warm butter caressing her tongue. It might be expensive, but it was certainly delicious.

Flint reached across the table with his napkin and dabbed lightly at her chin. Even the touch of his napkin sent chills through her body.

"The butter was about to drip off your chin."

"Thank you," she said softly.

Another bite, and she was ready with a question.

"What did you do while you were in Italy?"

His smile slowly faded, then reappeared. "Do you mean what was my work like there?"

"Yes, I'd love to hear about it."

"It's a long way from physics and that quantum stuff you talk about." He laughed. "How to describe it? I worked for a tiny company — the three men who started it and, well, basically, they bought and sold businesses. I worked as their consultant, investigating each of their possible ventures, checking the finances, inventory, reputation, equipment and maintenance records, things like that. I'd present them with a report, and they'd decide whether or not to purchase the company. If they did get it, then I'd help them decide how to handle it. Sometimes we'd break it apart and sell pieces, other times we'd operate it for a while and then resell it for a profit."

"Sounds like a lot of responsibility."

"It is, but I'm used to it. When you're dealing with fifty or a hundred million dollars of someone else's money, you're very careful."

"That's a lot of money."

But there was another question bouncing around in her head — a very logical question given what was happening.

"Do you still work for them?" She watched Flint take a very deep breath and let it out slowly.

"Technically, yes. We don't have a contract, just a handshake. They pay me more than I'm worth. I told them I needed some time to come back home and take care of things here. That was before ... you."

The air between them was heavy with an unanswered question, and Flint was chewing his lower lip. Athena could hardly look at him, waiting.

"They pay very well," he said as her heart dropped. He reached across the table and took hold of her hand, squeezing gently. "Don't look at me like that," he pleaded. "It's killing me."

"I can't help it," she answered, waiting. "I can't keep from wondering ..."

"If I'm going back and when? There's no arrangement on that right now. They might call tomorrow and need me back in Italy right away. I don't think they will, though. They'll respect my wish to be home, and I hope they continue to do that. I hope."

It wasn't what she wanted to hear. He could be gone tomorrow, or the next day, or the day after that. She wasn't at all sure how she'd handle that or if she could handle it at all. It was only two days, but it was also five years. With the way she felt, it wasn't a burden she wanted to carry now, but she had no choice.

He smiled. "Dad has been after me, relentlessly. He'd like to retire early and travel, do some fun things with Mom. She's put up with his long hours and his being away so much, and he'd like to make it up to her."

"And?" Athena nervously asked, never one to back down from reality.

"Your turn to be the consultant," he said, a teasing grin on his face. "What do you think I should do?"

It was her turn to chew her lower lip ... and to tease. As torn as she was at this moment, she was still Athena.

"If you have to ask, then I may have to rethink this evening and everything that's happened since yesterday."

"Has it only been since yesterday? Can things change that fast?"

Athena took another piece of lobster and dipped it carefully in the melted butter. She chewed thoughtfully for a moment, watching Flint.

"Things have certainly changed for me," she grinned. "I haven't had lobster for years, since I was five or six maybe."

That brought a laugh from him as he noticed her look changing.

"Seriously, Flint, it's been one day, almost one day exactly, and I'm not bold enough nor arrogant enough to ask you to make that kind of a decision right now."

"I understand that, and I've made an intermediate decision if you can call it that. Unless something wholly unexpected happens, I won't be going back for at least several months.

Athena felt her heart swelling ... and pounding.

"Several months?" Many questions wrapped up in that simple inquiry.

He took the fork from her hand, then held that hand in both of his.

"Can you feel my pulse?" she asked quietly, "telling you how much I love what you just said."

"Sure can," he smiled. "And that's the big reason I said it. I said they pay me well, so I'm fine financially. And, there's this pounding heart I can feel through your hands."

An answer she needed to hear ... but the big question remained.

They finished eating, and Flint ordered more wine. Athena squinted one eye at him.

"More wine," she questioned coyly.

"Yeah, if I get drunk enough, you can take advantage of me since I can't get you drunk to do that." Another laugh.

A giggle from Athena, who had never been shy.

"Who says I need to be drunk to be taken advantage of?"

Flint raised his eyebrows and looked at his watch. "We are into the second day already," he chuckled, the thought of taking advantage of the dark-haired beauty he was with very alluring. But that was a ways off and something to be looked forward to.

"So, I'm being rejected," she said through a disappointed pout.

"How can you say that with a straight face?" he teased again, taking a large sip of his wine.

"It wasn't easy."

Now they were both laughing, some of their neighboring restaurant patrons smiling at them.

More wine for him. Athena was nursing the last of her sparkling water, feeling that if she had one more glass, she might explode. Time passed, with each questioning the other about their life and goals and dreams they had about the future. Flint was particularly interested in Athena's fascination with physics. He was no dummy, but neither was he the salutatorian of his graduating class, and he challenged her to explain some of it to him so he could understand it. She assured him she would.

Flint stopped drinking the wine and ordered coffee for both of them.

When the coffee arrived, Athena took a short sip. It was scorching.

"I used to wonder how anything that smelled so good could taste so awful," she said, downing a longer sip this time. "Then, I started college and had to learn to like it."

"Pretty much the same for me. In Italy, the coffee is very consistent wherever you go, darkly roasted with a kind of bitter-sweet flavor. It comes in porcelain cups — you rarely find take-out cups. Drinking coffee is something you don't rush. It's okay once you get used to it. You'll be able to try that one day."

She certainly hoped that might be true.

At Athena's house, they sat in the car and talked more. Finally, it was time to part. With that beautiful face just inches from his, there was only one thing to do. Hands on her cheeks, he pulled her to him, and their lips met for the second time this evening, this time lingering together much longer. Reluctantly they parted, but Flint was looking at her longingly.

"With your permission," he whispered, "I'd like to do that one more time."

Her lips quickly met his one more time, pressing a little harder this time. Again they parted.

It was Athena's turn. "With your permission, one more time," she said.

They were together a bit longer this last time until he was nibbling on her lower lip, accompanied by a soft, throaty moan from her.

"You better go inside," he cautioned, pulling his lips away from hers.

"Do I have to?"

"Are you going to torture me like this every day?"

"I guess you'll just have to wait and see."

Flint ran around the car to open the door for her, and they walked to her front door.

"I'll call tomorrow, and we can figure out what to do," he said, smiling at her warmly.

"Okay. Would you like my cell number?" she giggled.

"See what a mess you've made of me," he laughed. "Those are the kind of details I thrive on."

He quickly had his phone in hand, and she recited her number. He sent a text.

"Now, you have mine."

A quick kiss this time, and she went inside.

* * * * *

Flint was up the next morning at his usual six-thirty and sent a text to Italy confirming that he planned to stay in the US for at least six months but would be available for questions and other help as needed. What he was looking forward to was helping Athena with a first lesson in motorcycling.

At nine, he tapped Athena's number on his phone.

"Hi."

"Hey. Hope I didn't disturb anything." He was even conscious of the smile that leapt to his face at the sound of her voice.

"No worries. Dad's at work, Mom's doing laundry, and I was reading a physics book. Getting ready for next term."

Flint stifled a comment about "remembered doing that."

"Want to ride today?"

"Sure," she replied, not trying to hide the excitement in her voice.

"You ride. I'll watch."

A pause. "You're not kidding me, are you?"

"Nope. You need to learn."

"The Ducati?" she questioned.

"The only one I've got."

"What time?" No more hesitation from Athena.

"Ten, and then to Wendy's for lunch."

"Wendy's?"

"Dad met Dave Thomas a couple of times, so we've always been Wendy's fans. Missed it while I was in Italy. They used to be there but have been gone for years."

"Wendy's then," she assured him.

He was there at ten and came inside to talk with Jessica. She got a much warmer hug this time. She had always particularly liked Flint, despite his daring her to take a motorcycle ride. At least after she had found out that he wasn't a homeless man, bearded and raggedy looking when he'd given Freya that first Ducati ride. She'd gotten to know him a little since he'd given Athena the rides and could barely believe that the two of them seemed to be getting together. She knew she'd love to have him as a son-in-law.

"I hear you're going to allow my daughter to attempt to kill herself," she laughed.

"That's up to her. I'm going to show her how to ride safely ... I hope ... the rest is up to her." He chuckled, glancing at Athena.

"Don't worry, Mom. I'm going to be very careful." She looked at Flint, who was smiling at her.

"And, not going to take any chances of hurting this lady," Flint assured her.

"Have fun, honey," Jessica called as the two were out the front door.

Athena had no trouble remembering how to buckle her helmet and when Flint had his secured, she climbed up behind him, and the Ducati barked to life. Less than five minutes later, they were in the vast and very empty parking lot of an out-of-business discount store. Both jumped off the cycle.

"Ready?"

"Yup."

"First, let me give you something." He reached into his jacket pocket, pulled out a 3x5 card, and handed it to Athena.

She looked at the card for several seconds, then at Flint.

"You wrote this? For me?"

"It's just a start. There'll be more."

"I love it."

She looked at the card again, then read it aloud.

"Special people pass through, but once in a while,

And they leave their marks in the sand.

Those makers of marks are special indeed

When they pass with their heart in their hand."

"Okay, let's get you riding this thing," he said, a slightly embarrassed look on his face.

Athena stepped in front of him and kissed him.

"Thank you," she said softly.

"Listen," he said, grinning, "if you have a pen, I'll write another if it'll get me more of what I just got."

"Oh, no. You teach me how to ride and then ... maybe."

"Ugh. Okay then. Let's start."

He showed her the hand-grip throttle, how to operate the clutch and brakes, and other details she'd need to know.

She realized he had forgotten something.

"How do I shift gears?"

"You don't, today," he cautioned. "We'll work on balance and turning today."

A sad look.

"Okay," she said disgustedly.

Flint knew Athena fairly well and realized she'd figure out just how fast she could go in low gear. He reviewed leaning into corners, as she did when riding with him.

The lesson went well with Athena, who had never been timid, gaining confidence with every circuit of the parking lot. She was quickly doing figure eights, a huge smile on her face, leaning into sweeping turns at the ends of the lot, until she saw Flint gesturing for her to stop. She released her helmet, the big smile still there.

"This is going to be easy," he assured her.

"I hope so," she replied. "I'm ready to go fast."

"Athena."

"Freya told me you went a hundred with her."

"She wasn't supposed to tell that," Flint grumbled but couldn't keep from laughing.

His expression changed as he looked at her very seriously.

"I don't know if I could do that with you. Too much to lose."

Athena's heart skipped a beat hearing that, but she was still Athena.

"Listen, if you laid that thing down and killed me, I'm sure you'd go too, so we'd be together."

"Athena," he squawked. "Don't even kid." He grabbed her in a tight hug.

"If saying things like that get me hugs like this, I'm going to learn a few more."

"All you need to do is say, 'hug me.' It's not complicated."

"I'll remember."

"In the meantime, we need to get your temporary permit, get you doing all the handling things that are required, and then get your license."

"Temporary permit?" she questioned.

"Yeah. You pass the book test, and the temp allows you to ride on the streets, but not on busy streets, freeways, and stuff. In the meantime, we can keep working in this lot, and we'll have you ready for anything."