All Comments on 'Auction'

by magmaman

Sort by:
  • 19 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Loved it

Another winner from you.

tazz317tazz317over 11 years ago
THERE IS ALWAYS ANOTHER BIDDER

and another item to bid on cost effective, TK U MLJ LV NV

WilliamVanderpoolWilliamVanderpoolover 11 years ago
A Sweet Story

But very sad. Very realistic though. I cared for the characters.

LordSlamdawggLordSlamdawggover 11 years ago
What the hell happened to MGM's sly nuance ?

I want to start by saying this is a author who had given me A LOT of pleasure as a reader, not a hater here. " A Terrible Thing to Have to Do ", the Patty series & his coyote story are just two of many works he's authored to my great pleasure.

This effort ,however, has all the earmarks of a effort done for the sake of being done. Perhaps MGM is trying to best writer's block because this story is treacly, incredulous and finally incoherent at the end.

MGM needs a fresh muse on one level or another because as far as this story is concerned you can't go back to high school home room again. This author I'd just too sly and canny to be held down forever. I look forward to giving him a rave next time out. The unique cadence he owns is intact and sooner then later this literary drought will end.

bruce22bruce22over 11 years ago
Good Story

The text could use some editing. In fact, it almost felt like the first page was from one story and the second from another. Still I enjoyed it... What happened to Sue Mae?

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Always one of the best

Many thanks for all your hard work. Your stories are always fun to read.

phil2213phil2213about 10 years ago
I didn't get the romance? This is the romance section.

I'm sorry but I didn't get the point if there was any."

GoesGruntGoesGruntover 9 years ago
Depressing

Could ah, would ah, should ah...

Sad past, best let go an forgotten.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
Very sweet story

One does wish they had gotten together, but then he is apparently happy with his current woman -- and a family. So it probably turned out for the best.

SyrustheVirusSyrustheVirusabout 9 years ago

How was this romance?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
I'm confused ...

She married Dahl? After him being such a jerk? How did she find time to hook up with him and not Brad, considering she was 1000 miles from her home town?

tazz317tazz317almost 9 years ago
THOSE DEAR OLD SCHOOL DAYS AND HORMONE DAYS

and trying to grow up naturally. TK U MLJ LV NV

magmamanmagmamanabout 8 years agoAuthor
An update

This story was not intended to be erotic, and most of us went through "romances" growing up. That is why I posted in this category.

It is about as close to truth as I ever write.

I post this comment because I ran into Paula last week, of all places in our local Cash and carry. We went and got some Coffee, to catch up.

72 years old, just like me, and I knew who she was instantly. Same with her, she saw me and knew. She looked fine, the years have been kind. Four kids, and a husband.

We talked about Doug Dahl, her first husband. He went to the same college she did some 50 odd years ago. Just a coincidence.

By then Paula knew how to dress, how to act, and Doug's family had money. As a kid, he was an ass, as a man, not so bad, we all grow up. He asked her out, she accepted, understandable.

"Doug was good to me." She said.

In Viet Nam, he jumped off a helicopter the first time and took one in the face, never fired a shot. Damn shame, that. Me? I was married to my first wife but finally got drafted anyway, they hit me but I came home alive.

Paula was nowhere around when I came home, besides, I was married to my 1st wife.

Now, so many years later, here was Paula, and memories.

We talked about that silly auction, had a laugh. She told me I changed her life.

The neat part is, she asked me again that question just as we were leaving.

"Danny, will you kiss me?"

So I did. It was just as nice as it was way back then. I also told my wife Debra all about that when I got home, it was innocent, just two old people being young again for just a couple of seconds.

"We should have, you know. I was in love with you." Paula told me with what was close to a girlish giggle.

I just nodded, it probably would have changed both of our lives completely. Instead, two people, so close to love, perhaps marriage.. babies?

A moment, right there, then gone. I walked her to her car.

Memories really can be a wonderful thing.

Perhaps, just perhaps, I missed out on something very good.

You young ones? Your day is coming, then you might understand about an old man that writes of memories.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
thank you for sharing

Thank you for sharing that post magma, Having seen how quickly the years roll by and how memories and regrets can shake a person I truly thank you for sharing that story and baring part of your heart to us.

BuzzCzarBuzzCzarover 7 years ago
Thank you

I enjoyed the story and did some remembering of my own. Welcome home.

silentsoundsilentsoundabout 6 years ago
Really?

Paula not only let the asshole fuck her, she married him?

What a piece of shit.

Brad did good to avoid Dahl's leftovers. They were trash, Paula was trailer trash LOL!

QuintiusQuintiusover 4 years ago
What the actual fuck?

How could you ruin this sweet story by turning it into such a piece of shit? After all he did to help her get out of being a social outcast, not only wasn't he her first, she wound up married that pile of shit Dahl? The guy who mocked her when the auction was being held? The same motherfucker who fucked Alma first as well and made Brad's life a living hell over it? And then you have the gall to call this drafted piece of garbage a "hero" because he died in war, as though that excuses every shitty thing he ever did in his life?

Why the fuck would you write that ending, MGM? Literally anyone else she had married would have been fine. It's not often a story pisses me off, but this one sure as hell managed. Disappointed, yeah. Disgusted, sure. It's rare that one actually pisses me off, though. What a waste of time.

QuintiusQuintiusover 4 years ago
Addendum

Apologies, I wrote my previous comment before I read MGM's and realized this was based on a true story. Apparently the truth is just as shitty as the story. It still pisses me off but I can hardly be angry at MGM for writing about what really happened. Guess I should be angry at the real Paula instead for having such abysmal taste.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

As romantic as it all sounds it really worked out for the best. I mean if she was willing to connect and even Marry that guy she shows she is not the person that the MC really needed. It would not have lasted.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
usermagmaman@magmaman
6', 186#, published writer. I have worn many hats. As a young man I was crazy, carefree and making wads of money. Then along came a messed up war and I was cannon fodder. From there I came home even crazier, and survived a 120 MPH crash which got me 15 years in a wheelchair...