Babs Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"The board has a very high sale price in mind. If it sells for that price, it could be several times as much as the 529 plan currently has in it."

She paused. "But those profits would be taxable." No dummy.

"Yes, but even after taxes, something like three of four times as much as your current fund."

"So maybe they wouldn't have to go a cheaper state school?" I was very happy that she was thinking about her daughters. I felt no need to mention that my options would be worth 25 times as much as what Robert would get.

"So, if we keep things cool for a while...."

She finished for me. "We could have the money and the sex, too."

I just smiled. That was not what I was thinking, but let's take one thing at a time.

It took two weeks to get the new agreements in place. The board members caught the gold fever and started calling me to offer their opinions of how high the valuation could go. I tried to preach realism, but to little effect.

The valuation report came in. It was well written and well supported, and I thought the valuation was optimistic, but not impossible. The consultant said a special situation might make a strategic acquirer be willing to pay more. The doctors seized upon this, and at the board meeting, moved to another "more realistic" valuation done by another firm. I thought they were smoking crack, and luckily the other board members shot it down before I had to comment on it. We reached a compromise, passing a motion to only sell for 125% of the consultant's value. I would be perfectly content to just stay in place and collect my salary, grow the value slowly and sell later. But the doctors and Babs would not sit still for that. I don't think we can get a number that big, but if we do I walk away happy.

For now, I was still in limbo, and worried. What was that old saying about "as nervous as a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs?" I was doubly nervous because all the other things about the business were going fine. The sales volumes of our customers were up, the industry as a whole was up, and our growth let us take advantage of some opportunities of scale to reduce our costs and fatten our margins.

I was also a bit nervous about my relationship with Sally McCord. She had been my sounding board, the one person I could trust and talk to about anything, and recently not talking about Babs and Robert had also resulted in us not talking about much of anything. I arrived at her apartment for dinner Friday night trying to think of a way to get things out in the open. But she started the discussion before I could.

"Adam, I want to talk about what has been going on between us lately."

Oh boy. One of those talks......