Bard's Tale 05 - Bk 02 - Westward Ho

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Tia took a thoughtful drink of her tea. "You cite lack of familiarity as an impediment. I know he likes you, but not seen him do more than glance at you or any of the other women in your household. Mutual attraction is rather important for a serious relationship. What I see is mutual respect and no heat with either of you."

The priestess poured herself another cup of tea. "Reison is twenty-one this year. In half-elf years, that's the human equivalent of being sixteen, when boys are becoming men and getting instantly hard if any woman looks at you funny. In his case, I'd swear it's sixteen going on forty-five. When I first saw the man, it was across a barroom floor. Not a word was spoken. He stared at me for all of six seconds, and it was like he could see everything about me. I wanted him so badly I soaked my panties, and once I looked away, I was terrified of how much I wanted him. It was all I could do to walk out that door. Naturally, he got to Mindal through their shared love of music. Tahna wanted to kick his ass."

"Tahna has obviously changed her mind about him. Please spare me any details, at least for the moment," Anya said. "If I had a regular lover, it might be fun to share some choice gossip about what gets your knickers in a twist. However, I haven't had any bedroom action in a while, not even making use of the temple to take the edge off. Even when it's gentle and loving, emotionally it's still casual sex, and I realized years ago that I need an emotional connection for it to feel satisfying. Using a toy helps, but that has the same limits as casual sex. I want a lover who is happy to be with me, Anya Starshine, a twenty-nine-year-old woman with a healthy sexual appetite who loves working with magic, having a bit of fun, being romanced, and who also happens to be a single mother. I am not interested in any political arrangement. Dalyanni is my heir, so it's not like I have to get bred before my womb dries up."

"Those are the wise words of a grown woman," Tia said with a chuckle. "What about your child's desire for siblings to play with. Are you even interested in having more children? Some have one child and that's all they want."

"Let's just say I'm interested and leave it at that."

"What do you intend to do about your daughter?"

"I'll explain things as best I can. She will just have to learn to take no for an answer."

"If you need to talk, I will listen, you know. Not just for the trip, but once we reach the capital. And things that you wished to keep confidential would not automatically be shared with your mother. She's a dear friend, but I'm not her spy, Anya."

"I... uh, that's awfully considerate. Having a friendly, non-judgmental, and trustworthy ear would be welcome."

Tia laughed. "Though we try not to be, we priests can be very judgmental!"

Anya snorted. "Well, I expect sinful behavior to be condemned. I haven't forgotten that some events and questions from when I was growing up were kept confidential, even from my mother."

"Your mother can read minds, but I've never known her to do so against someone's will. She is always careful to ask permission beforehand. One of the things I've always admired about her is that she can be both direct and subtle and all the while being entirely ethical in all her actions. You have a great deal of her in you."

"Thank you for that. I realize that about Mom now, but it wasn't so clear in my mind when I was growing up. I was as hormonal as everyone else, and back then, catastrophe lurked around every corner and the melodrama of imminent destruction hung on a young boy's look or the choice what shoes were worn."

Tia smiled as she nodded. "It's been a while, but I do remember some of that from my own ancient youth." Anya snickered at that. "As for your reticence to becoming wife number four, well, I have great affection for you, Anya, but I totally understand and share your feelings. On a different matter, your mother mentioned you wanted to stay at Castle Goodfellow longer than just a day or two. I had the impression from your mother that you were undertaking some tasks for your aunt and uncle. How much time are you needing?"

"Maybe close to a month? Hopefully not too much longer than that? Aunt Natasha has some projects she wants me to do and they require a skilled mage, and some of them take quite a bit of preparation. When all the preparations are ready, Mom will come to help with the final casting. Is that going to be a problem?"

The priestess shook her head. "I shouldn't think so. Mindal has mentioned a time or three that there are some music books that she wants to take notes from, and it would give Reison a chance to see if book lore suits him. He loves playing music and singing, but it's a lot of hard work to become a bard. He's been studious enough with individual instruction. This will give her a good assessment of his academic skills."

"He really isn't bothered by the fact that you and your sisters will pay his way?"

"No, he's not, thankfully. And it's not that he's lazy, either. He would prefer to earn his way, but we explained that we are helping him get to where he wants to be because his success benefits us as well. As his skill and power increase, we'll come to depend upon him more. Besides, there will be three moms, but he's going to be the only dad around. We intend to keep him very busy for the foreseeable future."

Anya burst out laughing. "No details or I'm covering my ears! Besides, if you keep talking him up, you're going to make me curious about what all the fuss is about, and you just told me you weren't interested in me joining your little harem."

Tia grinned back. "Fair enough. He's a good sport and remarkably easy going." Collecting the empty teacups, she asked, "Do you feel better now?"

"I do," the young mage replied. "Thank you for easing my mind."

"Good night, Anya. Sweet dreams for you and your little girl."

"Good night, Mother Tia. I wish the same for you and your family."

* * * * *

Part 3 -- Castle Goodfellow

* * * * *

It was cool and windy in the morning, but by noon the temperature began to rise to a warmer, more pleasant level even as the steady breeze diminished to intermittent gusts. Three suns shone brightly and the day felt good.

The northern shore road that they traveled along began to show brush along the river bank, but the thick forest on the southern shore continued to hug the River Crescent's edge.

Eager to reach their destination, they ate as they rode, and just over an hour past midday, the river widened and the caravan spied, at last, the high tower about the same time as they came around the river's bend. Soon revealed were half a dozen sturdy docks. At two of the piers were two wide merchant barges busy with crews working, one crew unloading while the other loaded cargo into its hold. As they continued rounding the turn, the travelers saw a village abutting a small castle.

On the northern shore, they soon came upon a handful of buildings and a pair of docks, a copse of fat oak trees, and a pair of barns. Further north, the lush grasslands gave way to rows upon rows of mixed crops. Waist-height corn, string beans trailing up the stalks, and fatter tendrils of squash leaves and green balls growing together in one set of fields. In another mixed crop plot, tomatoes and potatoes grew together. Lush, green soybeans filled the third partition.

Scores of workers were out in the fields, taking care of weeds and working the sluice gates for irrigation. Amidst the workers were a handful of young priests and priestesses could be seen, tending to the many robust plants.

As the travelers halted by the northern docks, some of the villagers across the water stopped and waved. Some of the travelers waved back. Mindal was one of them.

A nearby worker from the fields mopped his head and when the wind shifted, a dog stood up from the greenery and began barking. The man shushed the animal, took a drink from a canteen on his hip, then strode toward them. Drawing nearer, he called out in wood elven, "Hail and well met, strangers. What can we do for you?"

Jannon Fisher rode ahead to meet the man, then dropped off his horse, arms wide. "Gregory? How are you! And how are Jane and your little ones?"

The farmer's face suddenly beamed in recognition. "Cap'n Fisher, as I live and breathe! It's been a while, hasn't it? I'm doing passably well, thank ye fer askin'. Jane is pissy because she's fat and round with number seven. Two of the older ones are out yonder. The rest, when they aren't at school, are underfoot at home. And how is yourself? You're looking spry well enough."

They shook hands before giving each other a quick embrace and clapped each other on the back. Both then turned and approached the small caravan, the dog trailing the farmer while Jannon's horse, led by the reins, flanked the other side.

The farmer wiped his brow again, then bowed to the assembled travelers. While Anya's carriage was ahead, he recognized the drivers of the second carriage and spoke to them first. "Greetings, lords and ladies. Mother Tia, ye and yer sisters be welcome, of course, though the young man next to the Songmistress, he be new. And yer fancy carriage is new as well. You're usually astride horses."

Tia gave the farmer a warm smile. "Hello, Gregory. We're trying something new this year. As for the young man, it is my pleasure to introduce to you Reison Whisper Wind. My sisters and I are his wives. Reison? This is Master Gregory, an old friend of ours. He helps make sure the village and castle have food to eat. Gregory, please spread the word that if any need advanced healing, I shall be available at the village chapel beginning at the tenth hour tomorrow. For those who are further away, we'll be here for at least a week, possibly longer."

"I will indeed pass the word, Mother," Gregory promised. "And thank ye fer yer kindness."

Reison hopped down from the second carriage and held out his hand. Gregory shook it. "Tis a privilege, Lord Whisper Wind. Lady Natasha informed us a few days ago to expect you." Then he turned to the other carriage and Anya, who leaned out the open carriage door. "Lady Anya, I'm sure your aunt will be delighted with the truth of your arrival and offer a fine welcome to you and all these fine guests. Shall I summon the boat to ferry you across?"

A footman helped Anya out of her carriage. She was a vision in her dark blue dress embroidered with golden running horses along the hemline, and a dark green leather belt with a wallet and fancy dagger on her waist. Over her right breast was displayed her house arms in a large shield. A woman normally displayed her family arms in a lozenge instead of a shield. Warriors and heirs, however, used shields like their male counterparts. The shield was split down the middle. On the right side was a medium blue field, a large gold star in the middle, and a smaller single gold star in each of the corners. On the left was the arms for the duchy itself, a silver horse running over a green field with a ducal crown above the horse. Above the shield was a second ducal crown, flanked on each side by a large snowflake, heraldic symbols indicating she was the third child and daughter. Anya's golden hair was styled with side braids that were tied to the larger one hanging down the middle of her back. Her bright green eyes greeted Gregory with a smile.

"No, Master Gregory, that will not be necessary. Rather than trouble the ferry, we shall ride cross the River Crescent itself. Although rather than cheat them of their fare, please give them these two royals."

"That I will, my lady."

Stepping toward the river's edge, the mage began her spell. Young Dalyanni, eager to see, darted forward, but she was intercepted, being scooped up Captain Fisher. Within moments, a five-meter wide wooden bridge materialized, spanning the wide river and connecting the two docks. The mage made another gesture, and the bridge was strengthened by support posts every five meters. Heavy wooden beams appeared, then connected, creating a sturdy safety railing on both sides of the bridge. A third gesture and the bridge was festooned with brightly colored pennants.

"Yay, Mama!" Dalyanni cheered as she clapped in glee while sitting on the warrior's shoulder.

Smiles and claps from some of the watchers joined in. The dockworkers across the river paused in their work to gape and point at the new structure.

Anya turned and gave a smile and a short bow. "Shall we go visiting?"

"Yes, Mama, let's!" Excited, she bounced in the guard captain's grasp.

Captain Fisher set the little girl down and she darted up to her mother. Clasping hands, they returned to the carriage, the captain acting to spot for both of them, then secured the carriage door. Mounting his horse, he turned back to the farmer. "Do you need anything, Gregory?"

The older man bowed then shook his head. "Thank ye, Cap'n. There are plenty of supplies here, and we've some guardsmen here to watch for monsters. We be having a few more hours of work before it be time to call it a night. Seeing the magic, t'was an amazing sight it was, seeing that appear out of nowhere, and Lady Anya, she did that like it weren't nothing at all!"

Reison returned to his place atop the Whisper Wind carriage beside Mindal and Tahna.

Two of Anya's guards joined Captain Fisher at the front, leading the way for Lady Anya's carriage. Dalyanni poked her head out the window, laughing as they started across the wide river. Lord Eshan and his squire came next with two more guards. Tahna brought their carriage into position after. Following them were the three support wagons, with the rest of Anya's men-at-arms riding at the rear.

As the last of the caravan reached the southern shore, the bridge vanished, and the many bright pennants became a flock of small birds that sang as they flew about before wheeling toward the southern forest and disappearing.

The dog barked nervously at the magical display till Gregory shushed him. Properly impressed, he returned to his work in the field, his mixed-breed dog trotting faithfully at his side.

The caravan rode through the village and up to the main gate, nodding to the villagers who waved in welcome and greeted the little girl who happily called out to everyone. The castle guards briefly examined them, and one ran ahead to the large, three-story manor house to let them know the expected guests had at last arrived. A few young children, seemingly set free from whatever chores there were at suddenly escaped to shadow the new arrivals as they rode to their lord and lady's manor.

As the carriages paused before the manor itself, a dozen servants come out to haul trunks and suitcases into the manor house.

People dismounted and gathered at the step. When most were assembled, Anya, holding her daughter's hand, ascended the steps as doormen opened the huge, reinforced-oak double doors.

In the large foyer they were met by Demetri Katsaros, so named for his curly hair.

From the far back, Reison whispered, "Who is he?"

Mindal whispered back, "Demetri is the castellan. He's in charge of the manor and attending to its staff for Lord Antumus and Lady Natasha."

Beaming as he bowed before them, Demetri said, "Lady Anya, it is a pleasure to see you again after so many years."

Not standing on ceremony, Anya embraced the old man, who was both pleased and flustered at the same time. "Victoria sends her personal greetings to you, Demetri."

The mage handed him an envelope, and he slipped inside his vest pocket. "Ah," the castellan nodded, his slightly gravelly voice rumbling pleasantly. "She is a thoughtful one, she is, and Lady Natasha misses her daughter greatly. And this young woman must be Mistress Dalyanni!" He bowed to her. "A sincere pleasure to make your acquaintance, young lady. The last time I saw you, you could barely walk, and now look at you! I daresay you shall soon rival your beautiful mother!"

Dalyanni looked at the castle official. "Are you related to me?"

"Oh, to my great regret I'm afraid not, young lady, but please don't hold that against me. I work for the lord and lady of this manor, who are your great uncle and great aunt by way of your mother's mother, Duchess Dianne Starshine. My name is Demetri. We shall see that you and your mother and the rest of your friends are all treated like the honored guests that they are."

"Are there any kids my age here?"

Demetri nodded sagely. "I do believe there are some around. Tonight, you will be too busy getting settled and making everyone comfortable. However, I will ask around, and perhaps tomorrow morning at breakfast, we shall see what we shall see, eh?"

Dalyanni turned and looked at her mother. "Mama, what does he mean?"

Anya caressed her daughter's hair. "It means you have to wait until tomorrow, my sweet girl."

Scowling, Dalyanni demanded, "Why didn't you just say that?"

The castellan looked a bit flummoxed. "It's just a courtly way of speaking, young mistress. I can see you and I may take a bit of getting used to."

"It's fine, Dalyanni," her mother admonished. "Are we in our usual rooms, Demetri?"

"Yes, Lady Anya. Sara has been assigned to attend to your personal needs, and she's upstairs, airing out your rooms at this very moment. Captain Fisher and Lieutenant Starshine I remember well. Who is this young man just behind you?"

The mage flushed. "Oh, I'm so sorry. Where are my manners? This is my cousin, Lord Eshan Sabre, son and heir to Duke Donovan. This is his squire and traveling companion, Sir Tamaron Wind Dancer. They are traveling with us to the capital."

"We're both knights," Eshan explained. "He helps keep me out of trouble."

"Please be welcome, my lords," Demetri greeted politely, giving them a short bow. Then his face brightened. "Mother Tia, a true joy to see you again. You are much later this year than usual. Has there been trouble in the duchy?"

Beaming at the man, Tia leaned over and gave him a hug. "No trouble exactly. I got married."

"Married?!" he exclaimed. "Congratulations! I didn't even know you were seeing anyone!"

Tahna was next, also gave the older man an embrace, unable to contain her smile. "I got married, too."

"What? You are married as well?" Demetri looked stunned. "I don't believe it."

Anya, Eshan, and Captain Fisher watched this event with growing amusement.

While Demetri was distracted, Mindal gave him a cheek rub and a quick pat on the back. "Actually, it was a three-for-one special. My wings have also been clipped for the foreseeable future."

The castellan put his hand to his chest. "You as well? Gods above. Where... where are your husbands?"

"Just one," Mindal answered with a laugh. Using both hands, she tugged the grinning Reison forward. "We decided it made more sense to share since we all fell in love with the same man. I present to you, Reison Whisper Wind. I ask you, Demetri, isn't he handsome?"

Tahna slid in on Reison's other side, running her hand over the young half-elf's chest. "Handsome and scrumptious."

Blushing furiously yet still grinning, Reison held out his hand. "Hi, there!"

When the castellan just stared at him in shock, Reison leaned forward, grabbed his hand, pumped it three times before letting it go. "Pleased to meet you."

He started to say something, then reconsidered, opened his mouth, then closed it again, frowning. With a big sigh, he announced, "You've always used separate bedrooms in the past. I don't think we have a bed big enough to fit all four of you."

Tia winked at Demetri. "No need to make changes. We'll use my room to sleep in and Tahna's usual room for working and storage. That will free one room up for other guests. I look forward to getting settled and visiting for a while. I intend to visit the village chapel at the tenth hour tomorrow. I asked Gregory to tell people, but if you could help announce the news that I'm here to provide advanced healing, that would be appreciated."