Bard's Tale 06 - Tahna, and more

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Yes, thank you both."

"So, what's the plan for this evening? Tahna can't exactly come down for dinner."

"Because of all the crap that happened, I ate lunch just an hour ago. Go downstairs and enjoy having dinner together, just the two of you. I'll stay here and watch over Tahna. When you're done with dinner, get a bowl of beef broth and a couple of slices of bread, and you can feed her when you get back."

"Food sounds great, but don't you want to hear about our trip to the Fighters Guild first?" Mindal protested.

Reison started to speak, but the bard dove right in, exclaiming, "He needs to train for the next three months, Tia! Isn't that great? He's gaining so much experience and learned so much! At this rate, within a year or two he will have to make the switch and begin training as a rogue."

"My, that is impressive," Tia commented, grinning at him. "Did you even feel that sideswipe?"

"Total surprise," he quipped, looking at Mindal.

The bard flushed. "I can't help it! I'm excited for you, sweetie and I want everyone to know how proud I am of you! Before you know it, you'll be going to the music college!"

Tia nodded. "I guess I'll start looking around for your next teacher. We want to make sure that the person we hire doesn't rob us blind or hurt our kids. I assume you've made the arrangements for fighter training?"

"Yes, and it's all paid as you suggested," Mindal confirmed.

"Still too excited to let him get a word in edgewise, little sister?" Tia teased.

Reison grinned at Mindal.

"Sorry," she whispered to him.

"It's okay, love," he replied.

"Anything on the matter of finding armsmen?" Tia asked.

The bard sighed. "Mmm, no. The language issue is a big hurdle. We didn't find anyone looking for work that fit the qualifications."

Tia looked at Reison.

"The language requirement is good because I do want to be able to interact with them. Its importance wouldn't have occurred to me until after the fact that," he told her. "We can wait a bit for that, can't we? To look around and find people who will fit into our home?"

"That's why I want us looking now because it may take a while," Tia told him. "When hiring people with weapons who will keep watch while we sleep, it is imperative that they be trustworthy. All right. I'm positive I heard Mindal's tummy rumble. Best go eat, both of you. And don't forget the bread and beef broth for Tahna."

"I don't understand that. Why can't she have a regular meal?" he asked.

"Her body has had a great shock with the flogging. It may reject solid food, and if she has to vomit, it will just deplete her body fluids further. Easy to digest food like broth and bread tonight. Tomorrow she can likely eat normally, with a lot of small chunks of meat, but we'll play it by ear."

"Why beef? Why not pork or chicken?" Reison asked.

Both sisters grinned as they replied, "Chicken for fever, beef for wounds," then chuckled at their unison response.

Mindal explained, "Any time one of us kids were hurt or became sick and Dad wasn't available, we heard that from all our moms."

"Try not to take more than two hours for dinner," Tia added. "It's a few hours till third sunset, but I have a few errands to do after you get back."

Reison looked at his first wife. "You're going back out? What do you have to do?"

"Well, first, a very brief trip home to let the moms know what happened to Tahna. This is a serious event and they deserve to know. Our Mom almost certainly will want to visit. I have my own errands to do tomorrow, so having her here to look after Tahna will help. Reison, when does your training start?"

"Tomorrow morning. It runs all day, six days a week."

"Mindal, I want you to continue going with him."

"Part of me feels put out," he said. "Like I need babysitting and she's just been given babysitting duty."

"Please do not take it that way," Tia assured him. "I myself prefer a companion when I'm away from New Brittany. While you are training, Mindal can be on the lookout for potential guards for our household. Besides, it will give her something to do. She tends to get into trouble when left to her own devices."

"Really, Tia?" Mindal rolled her eyes.

"Still haven't forgotten the seven times I bailed you out of the hoosegow," the priestess replied.

"It was six! That time in Caloren City didn't count!" Mindal stuck her tongue at her sister.

"Save that tongue for your husband when you have some private time, little sister. To finish, I will have Mom bring several of the larger magic items I have stored with them. They'll make things easier for my hard-headed sister and for us, too."

Mindal and Reison both looked at her to explain further.

"I have several Blashfor's Magical Diapers. And yes, Mindal, I've had them for decades."

He laughed. "Nappies? What's the hurry? We have months yet to prepare for the babies, Tia."

"I intend to put one on Tahna," the priestess told him.

Mindal's jaw dropped, then she gave the prone monk an amused smirk.

Reison stared at her. "What? Why?"

"So Tahna won't have to move around too much. I want the wounds to set before she resumes moving around. I'll try to get her up and use the chamber pot while you're gone. I have no problem wiping butts when needed, but the magical diaper will take care of any messy body functions like poo with magic, saving all of us time and embarrassment."

"Won't they be too small?"

"No," Tia answered. "Like all magical clothing, they stretch to fit."

"How many did you get, Tia?" Mindal asked.

"A score—"

"A score!" the bard exclaimed. "I'm expecting four children next year, not twenty! Besides, our kids will be mostly human. Surely human babies don't stay in diapers for more than a couple of years?"

Tia snorted. "While I purchased twenty, I have given a few away over the years. Some of our half-sisters got some to ease child care duties. Theodonra got a pair when she started having kids - and that's more years ago than I care to remember. I'm positive she passed those on, and I have no doubt a couple of her great grandkids are using them."

Mindal shook her head. "Great grandkids. Now I feel old as dirt."

"And I will love you long past when you are actually old and grey," Reison assured her. "How long do you think your trip will take, Tia?"

"An hour or so. But I have another errand after that."

"Is it something that can wait?" he queried. "I don't like the idea of you running around alone. I know you are capable, but I worry for you. As you said, it's safer to travel with at least one companion."

"It's regarding young Master Allyn. I sent him home early with new boots and the coins he earned. After you left, he let me know about a bigger boy named Derek who's twice his age and takes his money. He had a lot of coins on him when I left rather abruptly. I need to make sure he got home safe."

"But you said you gave the driver coin to make sure of that," Mindal said.

"I did! Now I'm following up, Mindal. When I delegate, especially to someone I don't know, I also verify the work," Tia replied. "That way, there are no major surprises."

"What are your plans regarding the boy?" Reison asked.

"I'm not positive, but his mother and sisters work as laundresses. I don't think any of us want to mop floors, fold laundry, take out the trash, and a host of other menial tasks. There's nothing wrong with manual labor. It's honest work. However, we can afford to hire servants to do that for us. It provides them with a good living and we get to do other things we enjoy more. Besides, next year our family will double in size. Think about that! A family of four to a family of eight. Everyone in the house will need laundry done, food cooked, et cetera. At the least, Allyn's mother can work at better wages doing laundry for us. It's not set in stone. I want to meet the mother first. If it works out, Master Allyn's mother will have a good paying job to support her kids, he and his three sisters will get some schooling, and there are some household chores we don't have to do ourselves."

Mindal said nothing, but she grinned at her big sister.

Reison caught the look and then chuckled. "You are First Wife, Tia, and your plan has merit. Just mind that you stay safe. Come on, Mindal. Let's get something to eat."

With a slow, thorough kiss, he bid Tia goodbye and took the giggling bard with him.

"Goddess, I love that man," she murmured, touching her fingers to her vibrating lips.

Tahna croaked out, "Me, too. Can I... have some water?"

"You're awake!" Tia quickly poured a fresh glass of water, plunked a straw into the cup, and helped her sister raise her head up high enough to drink. When she made to stop, Tia simply said, "Take a breath, but drink all of it down, little sister. You've lost a lot of blood and you seriously need to hydrate."

"Let me... soak my throat first."

"Good plan." The priestess let her sister take several slower swallows.

Once a second cup was empty, Tahna said, "That's enough. Thank you."

"How much did you hear?"

"I woke up when they came in, but I kinda dozed a bit, too." Trying to lift her head or move her shoulders triggers waves of mind-numbing pain across her back.

Tahna spied the large jar of aloe gel on the side table. "I must have been out when you put that on. I think it helped. At least, my back no longer feels completely raw. The straw was a nice touch. Very thoughtful. I didn't know you had any."

"I didn't," her big sister replied. "I happen to know a vendor who sells bubble tea not far away. He sets up shop around this time of year. I hired someone to buy a small box. They're paper straws, but a box of two score should last you a few days. You should stay down on your belly as much as possible, at least for the rest of tonight. You can take time tomorrow for sitting up. I'll see if I can pick up a few backless blouses tomorrow. Long enough for you to be able to sit upright for at least part of the day and for when we have visitors."

They lapsed into several seconds silence. Then Tahna said, "You're really going to tell Mom what happened?"

"Count on it, Tahna. You're seriously hurt. Nothing good will come from trying to hide that from her. Or from Dad and his other wives."

The younger sister sighed unhappily. "You can be a real bitch sometimes."

"Did you or did you not demand they use the Lash on you!"

Seconds passed with no answer.

"Oh, that's perfect. Just perfect, Tahna. The temple screwed up in several places, but there is no escaping the fact that you crossed the line first. Green was my problem and I was prepared to deal with him tomorrow. Tomorrow! One day would not have made a difference. I love you and I appreciate your desire to protect me, but you overstepped. I know you're walking the razor's edge, Sis, with your emotions sometimes running wild on you. Was that what happened today? Did you just get pissed off and everything got away from you until it was too late?"

"Please don't yell at me." Tahna sniffed. "I just wanted to help."

"Why not? I asked you this morning what your plans were and you said it was personal. What you neglected to mention was that it happened to be my personal business, not yours. You lied to me. To my face, Tahna, and I trusted you at your word. I'm your sister! We've been together longer than most marriages. When did it become okay to lie to me?"

Tia took a breath to calm down, absently dabbing gently at the tear that spilled from her sister's eye. "I'm trying to make allowances here. Ever since your emotional walls have started coming down, you've been wavering between your usual competence and acts of madness or juvenile breakdowns. Worse than how betrayed I'm feeling, I know it's got to be killing you inside that you can no longer fully trust your own judgment. You need the power of a heal spell, but until the power of the Lash has run its course, there's nothing we can do but tough it out. Prayer for help from the goddess to endure this likely would not go amiss, either. Did you hear about your suspension?"

"Yeah."

"I know this is going to be hard to hear, but take this suspension as a blessing in disguise. You are burned out, Tahna. Mentally and emotionally. It's the curse of a perfect memory. If we didn't have magic, I don't know how any of the three of us would manage to cope. Listen to me. You are your own harshest judge and cruelest of jailers. All those dead children have been haunting for far too long. You've brought them justice, yet you carry their terrible endings around like weighted chains. I want you to find at least three things every day to be grateful for. I won't abandon you. Mindal won't abandon you, and Reison won't abandon you. We are a family. I've been thinking about stepping back myself. I know I've said that before, but I have to get our home ready before our babies are born. That's exciting to me. It's what I want to focus on."

"You'll be a great mom. I've always said so. But I know you, Tia. Something's happened. Tell me."

"No. I'm dealing with it. You stay out of it, or you will have to listen to one of my lectures! When I know more about what happened today, I will tell you. Your only task right now is to get better. Reison loves you dearly and he didn't take seeing you this way very well."

Tahna closed her eyes. "Sorry, Sis. Things didn't happen like I thought they would."

"I know that. You missed the point, Tahna -- like I almost did. Reison rode you for almost two hours last night. You soaked three towels. How many times did he get you to come?"

"Seven. Maybe more. I sort of lost count. I cannot believe how much I love that man and what he does to me with that cock of his. Even more, how much I need to be held in his arms."

Tia folded her arms in mock anger. "You guys woke me up from a sound sleep so I could spell him again because Mindal wanted her turn." Her face gentling, Tia continued. "Now look at you. It's going to be weeks before you can let him inside you, Tahna. Because once those muscles in your pussy start clenching, once your loins explode in orgasm your back is going to hurt like an evil son of a bitch. I wouldn't recommend trying to rub one out, either, and for the same reason. While you are thinking about just how badly you screwed yourself and your needy lady bits out of more good sex, I want you to remember you did this to yourself."

"Bitch."

"That's right, Tahna. I'm the bitch of truth yapping at your heels. Next time, don't fucking lie to me! Do you understand?"

"It's not like you to swear so much, Tia."

"When that bead was broken, I was terrified for you! I wondered what was so bad to put the hurt on my tough little sister? And when I finally saw you sprawled on that bed, I felt so helpless. For all the magical power given to use at my discretion, I could do nothing - nothing! - to fix your injuries. I love you so much, and it killed me to know there was nothing I could do to ease your pain." Tia brushed back the loose hair dangling in her sister's face. "The Queen knows the basics, and she has offered to ask her sister, Doctor Theo, to make some time to talk to you about all your accumulated emotional trauma. I encourage you to accept. I will also have more time available. Talk to Reison and Mindal, too. They love you and would jump at the chance to help. Yes, even our snarky littlest sister. Most of that is bluster because she often feels like a third wheel next to us. However, don't go into details with them with your memories. He woke up several times the night after we recovered Miriel. He doesn't need those kind of memories. As for Mindal, she went on a serious bender after helping you that one time all those years ago. The curse of a perfect memory raising its ugly head. On the plus side, she hasn't gotten more than a little tipsy since Reison came into our lives. Still, I'd rather not push her to drinking until she gets drunk."

"I knew about his sleeping issues." Tahna remembered her talk with Elisabeth. "And... I agree. Share, but not too much."

"Are you going to behave with Mom?"

"Do you really think having her here is necessary, Tia?"

"I have things to do tomorrow. Reison starts his fighter training, and Mindal is keeping an eye on him. However, once Mom was aware of what happened, keeping you company while you are laid out on your belly will make her feel better. She loves all three of us a great deal, and while she's enjoyed our wintering at home, she'd prefer it if we settled down and had our own families - like we're finally doing! Besides, leaving Mom here with you will make me feel better. You have made some enemies over the years."

"Yeah, criminals."

"And you just made my point."

"Fine. Uh... were you still planning on going to the temple tomorrow?"

"Yes. I need to make sure that the Temple of Osh Mayan is aware I won't be there to teach. With all this mess, they are probably still expecting me. Why?"

"Because Marlee Hawkins in Archives told me about a couple of young acolytes, Anna Briarwood and Tessa Hatch. They were receiving extra attention from Green and a couple of his friends, and then the two girls disappeared. Official word is they quit the church, but Marlee showed me the exit forms and they were signed by Green. Marlee said she knew both girls more than casually and both had told her they were happy serving the goddess. She's worried because Green has a new pair of girls he's been paying attention to. Will you check into it for me? My interrogation was interrupted."

"Beating the crap out of someone isn't an interrogation, Tahna."

"Please?"

"All right, I'll look into it."

Tahna suddenly gave a ragged exhale.

Concerned, Tia asked, "Does it hurt?"

"Oh, gods, Tia, it hurts so much!" she whispered.

She caressed Tahna's face gently. "I love you, baby sister."

Both women were startled when a third voice said, "What a mess! Time and again, if there's a choice of easy or hard, human beings almost always pick the hard path. Before you demanded the Lash, did you give any thought to your unborn sons, Tahna Whisper Wind?"

"Who's here?" Tahna asked.

"The Lawgiver," Tia murmured.

The goddess sat on the bottom edge of the bed. And just like that, the pain in Tahna's back faded to half its previous intensity.

Tahna almost wept with relief.

The goddess said, "I was so proud of you both after what you did for Miriel and bringing Karst to justice. The efforts all of you expended for the Millers and Hansens, too, were unexpected, but I was truly pleased for what you did for them. And by that, I mean all of you who participated."

"Thank you for the miracle," Tia whispered.

"You're welcome. Originally, I wasn't going to involved with this current debacle at all. Aside from the fact that you screwed up some of my plans, you chose this path and are quite capable of seeing it through. However, I was persuaded to lend a hand and a slightly unorthodox path outside of the usual was pointed out to me. Tahna Whisper Wind, easing your pain I do not for your sake but for your sons. A woman under constant stress wreaks havoc in her child's DNA, and no, I'm not going to explain what that means. You just have to know that prolonged pain does bad things to the unborn. I prefer that not happen. The suspension stays. Your sister has given you good advice. Obsession makes you an easy target. Stop trying to be the gazelle, Tahna. Do you understand what I'm telling you?"

"Yes, Goddess," Tahna replied as respectfully as she could, remembering the lions.

"I doubt you truly do, but I'll accept your earnest intentions. This new family of yours has Our blessings. However, remember the third psalm and keep one eye on your path and one eye on what's going on around you."

"Yes, Goddess," they intoned as She vanished.

1...678910...12