Bard's Tale 06 - Tahna, and more

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Tia sighed. Putting her hands on her hips, she spoke more firmly. "I am not accustomed to having to repeat myself, nor do I do half-assed work. It's plain to me you three are also hurt. Please do as I ask."

Whether it was intimidation or respect, the other three did as she bid.

Turning to the other priestess, she switched to Balorian. "Corie, my sister is in the bed at the end of the ward. Please take her a pitcher of water and a glass. If she's awake, tell her I will return soon and then make sure she drinks at least one glass, and better if you can get her to drink a second one. She may need help holding up her head. She has lost a lot of blood and needs to keep hydrated. And no, her injuries are magical in nature and cannot be healed by spell. If she asks for me, tell her I'm nearby and will arrange to get her home when I'm done here. When you finish with that, please return."

The older woman bowed her head, saying, "At once, Mother," and went to carry out Tia's instructions.

As the others undressed, Tia resumed speaking Greek to the adventurers. "Is this your entire party? Or are there others as equally in need of help waiting elsewhere for your return?"

When no one readily answered, Tia narrowed her gaze at the mage.

The young spellcaster said, "You're a high priestess. The way the other two deferred to you, I figured as such. Uh, we have two more party members, your ladyship. Nigel has a few scratches but he's mostly unharmed. Kynthia is injured, but she's a priestess to Demeter and refused to enter your temple."

Tia shook her head at the news. "That's too bad. Followers of Demeter are welcome in our healing wards. Unless she simply didn't want to leave your friend Nigel alone, she should have come with you."

The brunette mage gave a slight grin back. "Nigel is a serious rogue and we didn't want him accidently finding something he shouldn't, like your wallet."

"He got away with stealing my unmentionables once," the blonde said. "He can learn to behave with the right incentives."

The archer's words sparked a brief grin. Spotting the mage's swollen and mottled-looking knee, the priestess simply scooped her up, easily lifting her onto the mattress. Gently feeling along the joint, the divinatory spells told Tia the structure of knee was permanently damaged. Without magical healing, the injury would strain with regular use until the cartilage finally broke and likely leaving her permanently lame. Without a heal spell, the loss of mobility would be the end her adventuring career. Considering how she was acting with the man already healed, Tia believed if the woman had extra coin, she would have spent it on him rather than put up with his crazy scheme to tough it out. After another orison to clean her patient, she cast repair injury targeting the knee, then followed it with cure serious wounds.

Tia winked at the nervous mage as she put her hand onto the knee while using the other to lift her leg. "Swelling's gone. Color's normal. Nothing seems out of place while extending. How does the knee feel? Much better, yes? All right, you can get dressed."

The mage marveled at the results. "Kynthia said repairing the injury was beyond her abilities."

"I'm special that way," Tia deadpanned.

The priestess likewise examined the second warrior before applying the same spell to fix his cracked ribs and deeper wounds on his arm. Cure spells targeted the entire body equally. Unless the recipient received enough curative magic to heal all of a person's wounds, lesser wounds often vanished while more serious injuries were partially healed. Repair injury spell did some targeted healing, but often not enough to fix more serious injuries. An after effect of the repair injury spell was that subsequent cure magic would draw all the magical healing to focus first on any needed repairs before allowing any remaining magic to fix lesser injuries.

When she checked over the archer, she saw no obvious injury but the hesitation in her movements indicated a problem with mobility. Moving around to check her back, Tia moved in close, stating quietly in the Faerie tongue, "If you flee or attack, I shall have to deal with you accordingly. My word that I mean you no harm. I need to see your true self so I can tend your wounds."

The warrior woman whipped around as Tia grabbed her arm, preventing either attack or escape. The woman's hand held the hilt of a slender knife, but Tia's grip was like iron.

"Don't struggle!" Tia snapped out. Her free hand touched her pendant of peace, and the tension amongst the adventurers immediately eased.

"I'm a healer. Let me heal you."

"Do as she says, Fee," the mage encouraged, coming over. "She truly fixed my leg. It's as good as new."

There was a minor blurring, and the outdoor garb was replaced by flimsy white robes and her larger than usual ears and large, almond-shaped grey eyes. She had a nasty side wound beneath the bloody tear in her robe.

Releasing her grip, Tia still spoke the fay language. "Are you of the Tylwyth Teg?"

The almond-eyed fae woman in white raiment nodded shyly, startled by her knowledge.

"Household or mountain?" Tia asked.

"Mountain."

Tia smiled at her as she reverted to Greek. "Besides the wood elves, I grew up around brownies, pixies, and water nymphs. What worked best is we each respected each other's boundaries."

The reversion to her true form showed bloody tears along her left side. Fay were susceptible to iron poisoning; after lifting the robes for a better look, Tia sniffed at the injury. While the wound was ugly, it was fully scabbed over and there was none of the festering stink that iron poisoning generated. Spotting an unexpected lump, she looked around. "Corie? Can you get me a pair of forceps from the medical toolkit?"

Using an orison, she sterilized the implement, numbed the area with another orison, then carefully re-opened the wound. While the fae woman watched intently, then winced as she dug in, she let Tia work. For her part, Tia tried to be as gentle as possible. After several moments, Tia extracted the broken tip of a rather large claw. After applying disinfect and cure critical wounds, the fay woman named Fee sighed with relief.

"Don't thank me," Tia murmured. "I won't put you into my debt that way."

Humans were free with gratitude and thanks, but to one of the faerie, such words could place you under another being's power. Publicly thanking someone risked one's freedom. That this human priestess knew such courtesies further impressed her.

Knowing the woman's garment had both magical and personal significance, Tia used more spells to clean the blood and repair the tear. Though she said nothing, it was clear was deeply moved by Tia's deeds. The next instant, her skin blurred and the lean blonde warrior woman was back.

Leaving them to finish getting dressed and settled, Tia made a gesture to the other priestess to follow, then headed to the service desk. The young acolyte immediately stopped her sweeping and hustled back.

"Yes, Mother?" the young woman said with a respectful bow.

"What's your name?"

"Leena." It meant graceful.

"I can see that," Tia said with a grin. "Fits you. I assume that stack of forms are waiting for a name to go with the funds charged? Please credit Canon Coriander as the healer of record." Retrieving her wallet, she dug into it and counted out an opal bracelet she knew was worth fifteen hundred gold, and fifty platinum, leaving herself a handful of coins; she had plenty of funds at several banking houses. "This is for the last case. For the record, Corie, both of your assessments were spot on. Well done! Any healing ward is lucky to have you on duty."

Seeing Corie's reaction, Tia asked, "You object to being listed as the healing priest?"

"You did the work! You should get the credit!"

"Do you know who I am?"

With a slow nod, Corie said, "I believe so. Tia is a common enough name, but there are few who wear the robes of a high priestess while looking so young, and even fewer who are able to dispense so much healing to others as if it were nothing. It was an honor to observe your work today, Mother Tia Landers."

Tia chuckled. "I married a few months ago. My new House name is Whisper Wind. The healing I did today helped me refocus my heart and enabled me to serve others. This will make little impact for me, but by listing you as the healer of record, you will gain much. I appreciate your honesty and sense of fairness, but as a favor to me if you must, I choose to credit these acts to you, Corie. Give Leena the portion you would normally get as my assistant, and you take what would have been my share."

"That... that will push me to master's rank, just below high priestess!" Corie bit her lower lip.

The young acolyte calculated her share from the funds collected by the church from the afternoon's work and her eyes widened in amazement. Her share would exceed a hundred royals! She might easily have enough to advance as well!

"Indeed?" Tia remarked, pleased. "Use the skills you gain wisely, Corie, and remember to give thanks to the Lawgiver who in Her generosity gave us these remarkable healing abilities to benefit others. Did my sister take the water? Both glasses? That's good. And thank you. The Ward's cleared so I'm going to take her home."

"You can't heal her?" Leena asked.

"No, unfortunately. They used the Lash on her, and should not have done so. I can do nothing to ease her pain. My sister acted stupidly, but what was done to her was also wrong. Sometimes the best we can do is give them love and support."

Priestess and acolyte grinned back, nodding in agreement. "Ain't that the truth," Leena agreed.

"If I don't see either of you around, have a good day. May the goddess bless you."

"May I ask why you are being so generous to both of us?" Corie asked.

Tia smiled at the question. "My own day started out well and then turned into a shit show as soon as I arrived here at the temple. Whenever I feel out of sorts, I turn to the words of the Lawgiver for answers. There's a psalm that says happiness is a choice, and reminds us to look for the good things in our lives. Serving others is what drew me to joining the church, and it often makes me feel good. Helping the sick and injured in the Ward allowed me to calm down and appreciate how blessed I am. Corie, please recite the fourteenth psalm for me."

She nodded. "The fourteenth psalm tells us, Enjoy the fruits of your labors, sharing as you are able with those less fortunate, knowing that your success depends not only on your labor, but also on the Grace of The Lawgiver."

"Excellent. Leena, can you tell me the fifteenth psalm?"

"It says, Be thankful to those who share your labors, who endure beside you and in your behalf, for they also hunger and love and dream."

The two women glanced at each other before returning their gaze to the high priestess.

"Do these two psalms answer your question, Coriander?"

Flushing, the woman nodded. "Yes, Mother Tia. And thank you for the lesson."

"You are most welcome," Tia responded warmly.

Thinking about her sister, she had thought to summon an aerial servant to carry Tahna to the inn, but then she had another idea, one that could ease the pride of the adventurers. "Leena, can you please get me a stretcher from the storeroom? I'll send it back later this afternoon."

"Of course, Mother! Right away!"

When Leena returned, Tia instructed her to set it by Tahna's bed. She walked over to the four waiting adventurers.

"Your bill has been settled. Rather than coin, I'm going to ask a favor that will require but a few hours of relatively easy work from you, work that these two men should easily be able to handle. My sister is injured in the last bed, and the nature of her injury is magical in nature. I cannot heal her. You two men will carry her on a stretcher to the inn where we are staying, help transfer her to a bed, and then return the stretcher here. The distance is about one and a half kilometers. Completion of that task will pay your debt fully. Do you agree to this?"

The first man glared, saying, "And if we don't?"

Scowling, Tia snapped back, "Then you can leave now and good riddance to you!"

The mage slapped his arm and promptly replied, "Jerome, don't be an ass! She went out of her way to help all four of us. Lady priestess, we willingly accept your task."

"Irene--!"

The fay woman jumped in, saying, "She's right, Jerome. Coming here was the right thing to do. This is a holy house. Don't repay kindness with ingratitude or you risk the ire of the gods!" Then she turned to the other man. "Gregor?"

He held up both hands, palms outward.

The fae woman muttered, "Good answer."

Seeing the scowls from both women, Jerome shrugged. At their continued scowls and Irene's foot tapping, Jerome the fighter muttered his apology to Tia. At her nod, they collected their gear and moved to where Tahna lay. The two men easily transferred the semi-conscious woman onto the stretcher.

Just as they prepared to exit the healing ward, and to Tia's utter embarrassment, her stomach loudly growled, clearly audible to everyone. They paused a moment, then the adventurers broke out into laughter.

Flushing profusely, Tia said, "I missed the midday meal entirely, and if I'm not mistaken, it's approaching the dinner hour. We'll pick up your friends, and with your promise to return the stretcher back to the temple, I will buy you dinner at the Grey Wolf Inn. They have good food and they keep a clean kitchen."

With Fee leading the way, followed by the men carrying Tahna, Irene the mage walked beside Tia.

"Our two friends are waiting in the park across the boulevard," the mage said.

"I look forward to meeting them," Tia answered. "Do you think you can convince your friend Kynthia to let me heal her?"

Grinning happily, Irene the mage promised, "I will do my best to convince her!"

After casting heavenly umbrella to shade Tahna from the afternoon heat, the band of four met the other two adventurers. At the urging of the others, Tia received permission to heal the Hellene priestess. Once that was done, they began Tia's simple quest.

* * * * *

Part 3 - So Much to Do!

* * * * *

Later that afternoon, Reison and Mindal returned to their room, happily chatting about the day they'd had. They'd interviewed several people with no solid results but they had made arrangements for Reison's warrior training. All in all, they'd had good day together. The door was checked, and as it opened, they entered.

Tia sat at the room's only desk, busily writing, but as soon as the door opened, she put up her quill and turned, giving them a sad smile.

Reison and Mindal, seeing Tahna laying on her stomach, her back a messy testimony of recently scabbed flesh, aroused an immediate exclamation in dismay, and they both rushed to the monk's side.

The young half-elf, seeing Tahna was unconscious, turned to Tia.

Mindal, likewise concerned, surveyed the damage to her sister's back, her thoughts awash with the agony her older sister must be going through. But then the bard halted, wondering why Tahna was in such a situation at all. Any time one of them was injured, Tia always did her best the heal them as soon as she was able. Yet before her lay her sister, the muscles of her back a mutilated scabby mess. She noticed then the bottle of aloe gel next to a mostly empty bowl of cold soup.

"What happened to her?" demanded Reison, his face a riot of emotion.

"She was punished by her order," Tia answered. "And as much as I want to heal Tahna, I can't."

Incredulous, Reison exclaimed, "Punished? For what?!"

Tia quickly conveyed the series of events she had encountered while at the Earth Mother's temple but a few hours earlier. "She is injured, but she's in no further danger. Tahna needs our love and support, and not just for her physical injuries. All right?"

Mindal winced, then plunked into the chair next to the bed, taking in the news. For the bard, this was a repeat when Reison had been kidnapped by that dryad and Tahna had reacted by losing her temper, storming off into the wilderness, leaving her sisters to fend for themselves while the monk had an emotional meltdown.

Reison frowned. "I'm still trying to wrap my head about Tahna being flogged. I thought your beliefs forbade torture. Did I miss something?"

Nodding, Tia said, "You didn't miss anything, and you have the right of it. Torture is forbidden and a mortal sin. While it can be atoned for, it's a serious matter and can blemish a person's soul if not properly dealt with."

"And yet I see my second wife unconscious, her back looking like chewed-up meat! You're telling me one of your priests whipped my wife, Tia. A woman I love is hurt! Explain to me how that happened and why she's not healed!"

As calmly as she could, Tia again explained the events, stressing how Tahna broke the rules by attacking a priest and breaking her vows. "She shouldn't have been flogged because she was pregnant. It's a right mess, Reison, and I'm looking into the matter. However, there's also no getting around the fact she attacked Green. She broke her oath and is suspended from her order for the next year."

Reison shook his head and growled. "I don't care about that. I don't care if she ever goes back, Tia! My beautiful Tahna, look at what they did to her!"

Tears suddenly spilled down Tia's cheeks. "Honey, this isn't easy for me, either! I love my sisters, and to see her like this tears me up inside... Please, don't look at me like that!"

It was suddenly all too much. Great racking sobs burst out, and she turned away, unable to look at the man she loved with his unspoken accusations as he glared at her.

"Reison, don't take your anger out on Tia," Mindal stood and put her hand onto his shoulder. "I feel angry about what they did to Tahna, too. Even when I fight with my big sister, I never stop loving her. You need to remember, Tia wasn't even there when they did this to her. She had nothing to do with it! And if she had been there, I know for a fact that she would have fought like a mother bear to stop it. Rather, sounds to me like Tia ran into a lot more difficulty than she told us."

Mindal walked over and drew the sobbing Tia into her arms. "Someone I know keeps telling me bits of wisdom all the time, even when I'm not interested. Silly platitudes like how happy times are happier and hard times are easier when they are shared. I love you, Sis."

Tia's sobbing stopped with a snort of rough laughter as they stood and embraced. "Happy times? I suppose you mutilated that psalm just to get my attention?"

"Naturally. Worked, too."

Mindal waved him over and Reison joined the hugging. For long seconds they stood and held each other.

Wiping her eyes and sniffling, Tia murmured, "Sorry about losing it."

"I'm not," Mindal said. "You're always in control of yourself. Nice to see that you're human."

The priestess turned to Reison. "How about you? Are you still mad at me?"

"I wasn't mad at you, Tia, I was venting. Tahna was hurt while I was away and I feel guilty about it. You are my wives and it's in my head that I'm supposed to protect all three of you."

"You can protect me any time you want, babe!" Mindal offered. "I like it when you protect me."

"You mean you like it when he has his way with you," Tia teased, giving her sister a shoulder bump.

"Isn't that the same thing?" the bard asked, her face the perfect picture of innocence.

The other two burst out laughing, and the bard kept her feigned appearance for all of five seconds before dissolving into laughter. Mindal asked, "Feel better, big Sis?"

1...56789...12