Bending the Rules Pt. 10: Summons

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He shook his clothes out, found some water, rinsed off his chest and got the dirt and leaves out of his hair the best he could, then followed.

"Nuru, do my eyes deceive me? Are you our informant today?" Akachi said.

"You know this youngster, Akachi?" Katlego said, drawing up a party agreement for all of them.

For one day, they would all work together on killing a demon, and share the EXP proportional to their levels. Nuru didn't sign it just yet, pondering.

"We've met. Decided to divest yourself of this foolish notion of taking advantage of a demon?"

"It's turning out to be more trouble than it's worth," Nuru said.

"I tried to warn you. I feared you would learn that lesson too late."

"Now wait a minute. By the terms of this party agreement, I'm not going to get much EXP."

"You're also not going to do much," Katlego snapped. "This thing is far too strong for you to attack directly, and you're entirely the wrong class in any case. And nobody's getting paid for this."

"But I have critical information!" Nuru protested.

"You have her name?" Akachi said.

"Her True Name, yes."

"Oh, I doubt it very much. She'd never be foolish enough to let that go. But we don't need to pull her soul, just her body; the soul will come with it naturally. If she's had a name for half her life, it'll be enough," Akachi said.

"I'll give you a minimum of the amount it will take to get you your level back, how's that?" Akachi said.

"Alright. What else can I do?" Nuru said, watching Katlego saw through the tree trunk with some kind of chain.

"We're going to put up a summoning circle. You'll put all the names you have here, in the middle, when I'm done."

Akachi sat, pulled out a large, circular, wooden board, and began carving symbols into its face. He gave Nuru some scrap pieces as well that had once been the corners of a square piece.

"Practice cutting on the surface. It's softer than most wood; you'll have to get used to not cutting too deep, or too wide."

It was true, carving into the wood surface was difficult; putting too much pressure resulted in lines that were too long and overlapped or intersected, and one slip could ruin it.

"Here, try another one, we have some time. Just focus on pressing the knife in, don't drag it across the surface."

Akachi finished carving his symbols, clearly accustomed to doing this before. Nuru struggled but managed to make a crude word or two. His DEX was up to the task, but he kept misjudging the pressure he needed; he had no Carving skill.

"That won't do. Write the names you have on the surface in ink instead, I'll cut with the knife once we're sure it all fits correctly. Put a line in the space between them, below where a letter would go, to connect it together. It has to be one continuous line when we're done."

He gave Nuru a quill and a bottle.

"Oh, and if the names are being protected, you don't want to complete them fully. Leave at least one letter incomplete."

Nuru tugged at Adana, and she spelled each name letter by letter as he wrote. Finally, in the middle of many runes and connecting lines after much careful tracing with his blade, were the words, joined in a cursive script except where the letters were unfinished:

ADAN/\_D3\'I_ASH4NTI666°°°

"They're all numbers at the end? Yeah, leave it. I think we can finish that for you. It may be her True Name after all."

(You sure about this? They're going to kill you.)

/They're going to try. It's certainly going to hurt./

*****

It was getting dark now.

"Done up there?"

"Not my finest work, but it'll do."

"Good. We still need the net."

The two of them bent a small tree and tied it down using a number of rocks to hold it in place, and ran a net into the clearing attached to the tree. Katlego made a slipknot to release it, and then quickly stuck two arrows in the ground, and tied each to a heavy stone. Akachi readied a lance with a barbed corkscrew shape on the end.

"Prepare yourself," Akachi said, sitting down and closing his eyes, meditating.

Katlego motioned for him to follow. "You've given us what we need. How's the stiffy?"

"Still pretty stiff," Nuru admitted.

"Lie down under the hammock and we'll see if I can't relieve a little bit of that."

She lay down above him again, this time removing her shirt and letting her nipples poke through the holes in the hammock. She let him play with them as she reached down and around to fondle his dick, stroking it from thin to girthy and erect. She sat up after he got hard, and let him stick right through the holes and straight into her vulva as she slowly rocked her hips and swung side to side.

"Enjoy it while it lasts. This link is going to be broken soon. You may never see me again."

"Believe me, I'm enjoying this," Nuru said.

Katlego started shifting her weight to her hands further up, lifting her pelvis and making her ride up on him through the hole. She stared down at him, daring him to be the first to push up to go faster, and race to the finish line which marked the end of their physical relationship. She twisted and turned, taunting him with her eyes but also making herself gasp and twitch in pleasure. The last rays had gone for a little while when he had cum again, and she had several more orgasms leading up to it, each harder than the last. They ate, savored a bit of water, and caught their breaths.

"It's time," Akachi said. "I hope you've saved your strength."

"I am ready," Katlego growled, then handed Nuru a potion. "Drink this. No falling asleep and tipping her off."

She watched until he downed the whole thing.

"Nuru, stand clear, you'll only be in the way," Akachi said. "But watch, maybe you'll learn something useful for next time."

He took a place near the fire and sat, drumming on his thighs to calm his nerves. He wasn't sure how many minutes passed, but it felt like an eternity. He snapped back awake as everything seemed to happen at once.

"Now," Akachi said. He skillfully traced the line of the name in the circle, placed it up on the tree trunk, and held his hands on either side of the disc.

Katlego lit a small fire near the bent tree.

"!Jiki Kirawo Adana Devi Ashanti-six-six-six-nine-nine-nine!" Akachi cast.

The top of the tree trunk glowed with a crimson light, sending strange shadows flitting every which way. Then, there was something on top of it.

"Akhirna! Kuring bébas moro lahan anyar," it said in a very feminine voice. "!Gunung Seuneuan Hampang!!Kyakyawa Gani!"

A red ball flashed from between its hands and hung in the air, spitting red light in all directions and bathing the area in the smell of sulfur. A sheen of sweat broke out on her skin, giving her a glossy allure.

Katlego shot an arrow, striking the figure directly in the chest. It had a small Fire Fountain potion on it and spat flames on the demon.

"Jelema bodo! Abdi ti naraka, ieu moal nganyenyeri henteu cekap!" it cried defiantly. "You cannot kill a demon with fire-!Motsa Sihir!"

She gestured, and the ball of light flew in Katlego's direction, exploding in a shower of sparks that crackled with angry energy.

Katlego dodged, yanking a rope attached to the arrow with her body weight, and the figure toppled to the ground with a shriek, and the Fire Fountain sputtered and dimmed. Akachi removed his hands, and the crimson light disappeared, returning darkness to the clearing, aside from the fire near Katlego. Nuru heard the slipknot pull free, and the rope lift the demon into the air directly over the fire.

"It's not supposed to hurt, it's supposed to keep you where we can see you," Katlego said, putting another arrow in her, and another.

The growl turned into a gut-wrenching wail as Akachi struck into the net over and over with a long spear.

"Wait! Mercy! I can help you!!Gunung Seuneuan-! Urk."

Light at the end of her outstretched fingertips grew, and then died. Several stabs more and the gurgling figure had gone still, and the fire beneath hissed with dripping fluids. Akachi lit a torch and brought it over, cutting the net to reveal the demon's face.

"Nuru, come look. Is this what you saw in your dreams?"

Shaking, Nuru came over.

"That's... that's her. I've never seen her in the flesh but... It's really her. Heavens above. It's over."

"Hahaha!" Katlego laughed, jumping up and kissing Nuru hard, deeply. "We're free! We're both free!"

"Yeah..."

"What's the matter? You don't seem so happy," Akachi said.

"I just... can hardly believe it. She seemed so strong, so unbeatable."

"You see, with the right preparation and courage, anything is possible. Is demon hunter the path for you?" Akachi said. "Don't answer today. You know where to find me. House of Nyala is a great faction, and you've got valuable experience now."

"Akachi... the body's all yours," Katlego said. "No doubt the wards are on hair trigger after the other day. Someone will be here very soon, probably not alone, and then this one's going to be on trial. Me, I'm out; I've got quests to get back to. I'm going to leave my bag here until it's a bit quieter."

And with that, she vanished in the night.

"Nuru, you'll get a fair hearing, I'll see to that," Akachi said.

"Thank you, but... I really have to be going too."

"Son, don't be a fool! You didn't listen to me once, and see where that got you. Stay here and it'll be a quick acquittal, just for show."

"Sorry. Bigger things are at stake. I really can't say more."

Nuru turned and walked away, slow enough not to trip and fall. He became aware of the sound of a distant thunder, and then bright lights swarmed over the horizon, closing rapidly.

"Shit, shit, shit," Nuru said, breaking into a sprint.

He tripped and fell once or twice, but got up and kept running.

"Here, over here!" called a paladin with a bright lantern.

He drove his mount forward, catching up in no time at all, stopping in front of Nuru who ran headfirst into the mount's flank and fell to the ground again.

"There now, you're safe," the paladin said.

Nuru tried to scramble under the mount's legs and keep running, but the paladin dropped off the saddle on the far side and tackled him to the ground.

"See here, fellow, we've got an edict from the Mayor, I'm afraid you've got to come with me."

"Please don't make me go back," Nuru said. "You don't understand, I've got to-"

"Hey, you've got him! He's the one that was at the temple, too!"

Another paladin had ridden up with a handful of others. Even with Jaheem there was no fighting them all. Nuru let himself be dragged back to the small camp.

"I told you it was no use," Akachi said. "Good sirs, forgive him, it's been a trying night, and a long one. He's never seen a demon in the flesh before. I'd have preferred he not be here at all, but he had to provide the name."

"Thank you holy one, we'll take it from here," the ranked paladin said. "Just one quick question and you may go. The breach is contained?"

"Yes. We lured the demon through and then sealed the rift behind, as per standard procedure," Akachi said. "Any of you gentlemen care to see me back home? The ghouls are about."

The ranking paladin waved him off, then stepped down from his chariot and untied to let his mount wander to graze as Akachi rode away on his bull with a two-man escort. The silence stretched uncomfortably under the gaze of all the paladins in the torchlight.

"I am General Chidike, under orders to end the menace to the family zone. What is your name?"

"Nuru," he said in a small voice.

"Now Nuru, we have checked and the demon is dead. It will never trouble you, or anyone else, again. Just answer my questions and you will have nothing more to fear."

Nuru said nothing.

"How long have you known the demon?"

"Since I was Level One. A few weeks."

"How did you communicate?"

"In a dream."

"So, you've seen its face?"

"Yes."

"How many sigils did you make for it?"

"What's a sigil?"

"Oh, of course. You wouldn't know, would you?"

One of the paladins handed the ruined summoning circle, now charred and pitted with a few embers glowing, to Nuru.

"Looks a little like this, but it can be made of parchment. Different symbols, and a name, the one you provided."

Nuru sighed. "I made one."

"And what did you do with it?"

"I pinned it under a rug."

"And then?"

"Stood on it in the temple later. I swear I didn't know what it would do."

General Chidike motioned, and then body was brought forward and dumped to the ground. "Get down and look closely. Never fear, it cannot harm you any longer."

Nuru got down on his knees and looked, trying to avoid the ichor still oozing from a dozen wounds. He turned away, fighting to control his panic and dread.

The general got down with him and brought a lantern close, forcing Nuru to look directly at Adana's face. Then he grabbed Nuru by the chin and made him look directly into his eyes.

"Is that the demon you met in your dreams?"

"Yes. That's her."

"*IT*," the general growled.

"Excuse me?" Nuru pulled back, eyes wide as his stomach dropped.

"Do not humanize them with a gender. They take the likeness of a woman, but only in the basest, most shallow ways. They are beneath the beasts of the forest. Even the undead once had a sex, but demons merely imitate one. They do not love, they have no heart at all, and deserve no respect."

"Alright, alright, geez." Nuru huddled in on himself, sitting on the ground.

"Delu, what do you think?" the general asked a female paladin.

"I sense no lie in him, he's just frightened and traumatized. The demon's incursions have been accounted for; we even know the date of the dream from our alarm records. The demon itself is here, dead, and the loop is thus closed."

"Very good. We will accompany you back to the city to stand trial for your collusion in bringing a forbidden creature into the temple. The rules must be obeyed. But it'll be a slap on the wrist. I think it's time to have another fear-of-the-devil curriculum in schools."

"If it's all the same to you guys, I'll wait 'til the morning. I'm dead tired here."

"I'll leave a man to go with you. I suppose it's not like you can really go anywhere."

*****

"On your feet."

"Hey, let go, not cool," Nuru protested. "I could hardly sleep at all. Stupid potion."

"I have strict orders. Sun's up and you're to go back to the city."

"Jaheem! Save me from him!" Nuru made his cry intentionally vague as to whom he was speaking, and ducked.

"Wha- argh!"

The man was thrown aside and Jaheem picked Nuru up by the shirt scruff and dashed away.

"Evil creature! Justice shall prevail!" The man called his mount and pursued.

The horse was better weight-balanced for sprinting, but Jaheem turned faster. He dodged, circled back, and changed direction seemingly at random until he came to a river he could swim. The heavily armored warhorse, however, could not easily swim, and they'd lose him by the time he found a way across.

"I'm going to get help Nuru! We'll find you, don't worry!" the man called after him.

"No rush," Nuru muttered to himself.

*****

"Fuck my life," Nuru said, shifting uncomfortably on the ground.

It was growing late again, and then were camped out near a scraggly little tree just big enough to hide the quest marker he didn't dare remove, with only the wind and the howling grass for miles. Jaheem growled.

"Oh for...!Fassada Girma! What did you say?"

[We need to sleep]

"I know! I- hey, wait a minute. If that worked-"

(Adana! Whatever your name is! Get your ass over here)

/Why hello, Nuru. It's good thing your INT isn't higher, otherwise I might not have deceived you even this long./

(What the hell happened? Who got killed yesterday!? Stealing a page from my book, are you?)

/That was the one bearing the alias Adana. And no, your death was fake; this one was very real./

(You don't sound dead to me. And who are you, if not Adana?)

/The demon who got you laid, like she promised./

(You know what I mean! What am I missing here?)

/I hid the fact that I switched skins with Ashanti, so you would believe me dead; since I also gave you her true name, they had no trouble summoning her instead, with my likeness. You had to pass the paladins' bluff check, which are irritatingly good can I just say. It was a bit of a sacrifice, but you had to believe it was me for their benefit./

(Bloody hell, that freaked me out. You can switch bodies?)

/On the surface level, yes. We can grow a layer for each name we take, and they can be transferred with cooperative effort and... some discomfort. I shed two skins for you, Nuru, don't you forget it./

(Eww. So what should I call you now?)

/Most Exalted Sex Goddess has a nice ring to it./

(That's a mouthful.)

/I'm still at least four mouthfuls, depending on what you're into./

(And "goddess" seems like a stretch.)

/Call me a goddess and maybe I'll let you stretch my new skin out!/

(You certainly are pleased with yourself. Why don't you lay out the whole respec plan for me so I can appreciate your deviousness?)

/Appealing to my vanity, hmm? I admit it's not often I have an audience not viewing my words through an adversarial lense... very well. It was a risk on your life, but one well worth taking. In order to get you that respec, I had to break a few customs which are harshly defended. But all's fair in lust and politics, as they say; no major Rules were broken and I've got a fine mana-share pact with you now. You've gotten a respec to give you that MAG you've always wanted. Don't pretend you wouldn't have taken it if the roll had gone that way./

(Probably. But why the respec- I mean, why now? The timing could have been better.)

/After you got all those levels and moved away, you mean? Oh no, that would not do at all. Nuru, the stats for you mortals increase as you level up, until Level Fifty. The lower your rolled stats are, the faster they increase so that everyone has all the same at fifty - but at a rate based on that stat building from Level One. Ordinarily of course, it doesn't matter, but after a respec, the stats you dumped would grow slower than normal because of proportional growth with each level - you'd have the MAG, but forever be behind on something else, unless you burned the EXP and went back to Level One, in which case you might as well just do it now, to say nothing of my difficulty in convincing you to start over and take that build by then. I'm planning for the long term, here. You haven't lost much; as it is, you'll probably catch up to the average by Level Twenty. Meanwhile, I get all that juicy mana for anything I need./

(You assume I don't need the other stats right now, so I don't get killed before I get there.)

/That's what you have me for. The heat is off, for me at least, so I can cast an awful lot more for your benefit./

(That sounds like a game changer, if you're not going to be mad about me doing it.)

/I'll have your mana to work with now, don't forget. And if you hadn't been so greedy and meddlesome up front, we might have gotten here with far less drama./

(You would have taken out the Fieflord by now? And gotten the respec?)

/...Maybe./

(I doubt that, but I know you'll never admit otherwise. OK, we just need to make sure I survive five more days.)

/How can I help?/

(Keep an eye out for me. You see things better than I do. Give me a warning if you sense impending danger.)

/I can do that, sometimes at least./

(I don't suppose you've got any way to help me sleep better.)

/I have *so* many. But since I'm not there... CON debuff antidote, coming your way./

(Thank you.)

/All that just happened and now you're thanking me. Damn, I'm good.../

(Goodnight, uh- dammit! What is your name now?)

/Most Exalted Sex Goddess. Most Exalted for short./