Bending the Rules Pt. 10: Summons

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

(No, for real.)

/You know what? I was joking when I came up with that. But I'm not anymore. Goodnight!/

"Women," Nuru sighed, and then he was out like a candle.

Jaheem chuckled quietly.

*****

"Ooh, now there's a thought," Nuru said in the morning.

Jaheem eyed him warily.

"!Fassada Girma! Sleep alright?"

Mrf.

[Passably]

"I'll see if I can't give you a few days off. Let's head to town."

Mrr?

[Isn't that where you're trying to avoid going?]

"It's also where they won't be expecting me, probably."

Jaheem just shuddered and stretched.

"Get me to the Southeast side. I'll take it from there."

They had to dodge a few patrols, but they made it to the city wall.

"Can you get me over?"

Jaheem chomped his shirt and made to launch him.

"Wait! Just to the top. Not all the way over. I'd break my leg or something."

Sniff, huff

[So fragile. I keep forgetting.]

They ran and clambered up the side of the wall, and Nuru was able to grab the edge by hopping up from Jaheem's shoulders.

"Safe travels, my friend!"

Nuru strained and got a leg over, then awkwardly got the rest, and dismissed Jaheem back to his home. He dropped to the ground painfully and gathered his wits before getting back up and pawing through the leftover disenchanted armor behind a few shops. He found some newer pants and a jacket with a hood, and put them on. Then he slipped his way over to a house. He slipped casually into the street and knocked at the door.

"Yes, who is it?"

"Can I come in a moment?"

"Any citizen is welcome here."

He pulled his hood down as soon as the door closed. "Any citizen, you say?"

"Nuru! You aren't supposed to be here!"

"It's good to see you too, Hasina," Nuru said, grinning.

"But- you're to stand trial! They've even started without you."

"It'll be fine I'm sure. I haven't got anything to add to the record."

"What are you doing here, anyway? If you don't want to go-"

"I came here to see you."

"Me?" Hasina said suspiciously. "Of all the places you could be?"

"That's right. I'm out doing important things, but I didn't want you to feel forgotten. I thought I might stop by for a day or two - if that's alright of course. We could... catch up on what we've started."

"But I- hmm. Now that you mention it, I do have a few chores I need help with around the house here. Things a man aught to be doing, but there's hardly a man of the house to speak of."

"Well, then - I'll be happy to lend a hand if I can. And perhaps another part of me, if it's ever needed."

"You're incorrigible! I accept your deal; you may start with the fireplace. A little soot may keep you from being recognized at a glance; I do take visitors from time to time. Take care that the guest room remains presentable every morning if you find yourself sleeping there."

"Lead the way," Nuru said, winking.

"I'm afraid meal time is when my husband is home; you'll have to make yourself scarce until late, but I'll leave something out on the counter for you."

*****

Over the course of several days, Nuru managed to sneak away with Hasina for a number of relatively tame encounters - by Adana's standards, Nuru reminded himself; or, whatever she was properly calling herself these days. One day he snuck under her skirts as she was minding a pot on the stove, and stirred her pot with his fingers until she boiled over, and the chicken soup almost did as well. Another day he pulled her into a closet and made out with her for an hour.

"We're in here giggling like a couple of teenagers!" Hasina whispered. "Well, you still are a teenager I guess. We won't talk about how old I am."

"Old enough to know better," Nuru growled into her neck. "And too much fun to let it stop her!"

Another day, she feined an illness and stayed in bed all day, refusing all visitors - except her newly-soot-free bedwarmer, who gave her his 'disposition remedy' at regular intervals until she felt better at lunch. The next, she went out and made the rounds of the other housewives, catching up on the trevails of their husbands and scheming to plant careful agreements between them that they were too thick to come up with themselves, but addressed supply shortages to everyone's benefit. Once she returned, she took her evening meal in one of the spare rooms, where she and Nuru fingerpainted each other with crushed fruit and then ate it off to their great mirth and amusement.

"So what's happened with Gram, anyway?" Nuru said as they moved some heavy furniture between rooms one afternoon.

"Oh, he's been exiled. They're waiting to send him away until you're here to officially notify as an affected party, but the announcement's been made in public."

"And how about my trial?"

"The way I hear it, some acquaintances of yours have spoken out against you, but Father Emeka and that girl... what's her name, the healer."

"Zula?"

"Yes, that's her. They've both made impassioned pleas on your behalf. Nothing's decided yet. You're a wanted fugitive, can you believe it? No one can figure out where you've gone, it's all so mysterious! Some say you're being held captive by a lyena."

"Fortunately, I'm just staying with the mayor's lonely wife. Nothing untoward going on there, nope, not at all."

"That would be the worst thing I've heard so far. Don't you dare tell anyone. You'd have the book thrown at you for sure."

"Of course not, they wouldn't let me spin you about and take you right on the sewing table then, would they?"

"Oh! They certainly wouldn't," Hasina said, flushing.

"I'd better make sure not to miss that opportunity then."

"Quickly! Take me, before I am tempted to turn you in!"

*****

"I fear you are running out of chores for me to do," Nuru said.

"Some people consider that a good thing," Hasina said.

"But I know it means I have to go. I have no excuse for being here if someone finds out. I won't get you in trouble that way."

"It's been so refreshing Nuru... Please, never change."

"Only for the better. So long!"

"Oh, I've gotten you some new clothes to match the jacket. Don't mention where you got them."

"Much obliged. Take care, Hasina."

"You too."

He walked out in his new outfit, and went to the armor shop. He slipped in the back since there was a line out the door.

"Say, Makena, got a sec?"

"My heavens, where have you been!? One moment, yes, hold on."

He finished up with one customer then came to the back room.

"Thank the gods you're here, I have so much for you I can hardly keep track of it all. Here, let me..."

"OK, OK. Hold the EXP, will you? Cash will be great, though."

"Here then, come back soon. We have a lot of figures to discuss."

"Right."

He slipped out and went toward Mesi and Dayo's hut. A group of paladins came by and he had to duck into an alley as they went by at a brisk pace.

"Hello, anyone home?" he said after he'd arrived, knocking on the door. "No, of course not. OK, one more stop to make."

He went to the library, turned and went down the hall and through the Level One gate. Towards the bottom of the stairs, he picked up the pace and skidding around the corner.

"Help, they're after me! Ah crap, can't have witnesses, I'll be back!"

Furaha was standing over a travel book with a client, mouth frozen open. He thought he saw her eyes twinkle, and perhaps the corners of her mouth quirked up. She covered her mouth not to laugh, or so he told himself. He ran to the museum, dropped his hooded jacket in front of it, dodged around the side, and ran back out to the woods as fast as he could, making his way back behind the hut. Dayo came out the back with a broom.

"Nuru! What are you doing here?"

"Catching you with more witch accessories," he said. "Can you make the broom dance?"

"Trees move too slowly, I can't reanimate them like that. Seriously, what kind of trouble are you in? I can't decide which stories to believe."

"The kind that I need another temple," Nuru said. "A Low Faction kind."

"Come inside, we'll talk."

"Enough about me, how've you and Mesi been?"

"Pretty great, for the most part. This thing we've talked about doing... it's been so energizing. Even if it never happens, it's really put the spark back in our sex life. Now, as much as I hate to ask, I simply must. What is your interest in my faction? This hut was one of the first places all the paladins came looking, you know. Scared Mesi half to death, knowing what she does. We're not looking for trouble, any of us at my faction either, even if we are looking for recruits."

"Yeah, sorry about that. And I'll apologize to her in person, too. So here's the deal, I need a temple to level up. Everybody knows I can't leave here until I hit Level Eleven, so they're definitely going to be watching the regular temple for me to show up. But, you Low Factions have your own gods and, I figure, your own altars to level up with, away from prying eyes."

"You make it sound so scandalous. Yes, we've got one, but it's really more of a convenience. Most of our quests get handed out in the same place, and we don't have to go far to level up, and drop off our liberated souls. I can show you."

"That's all I want. If there's quests to top up the EXP, hey, that's great too maybe. We'll see. Could I trouble you to run and grab some food for me at the inn first? Full quest if you want it. EXP and everything."

"Why didn't you say you were hungry?! Friends don't let friends starve, Nuru, Mesi told you herself. Stay here, I'll talk with her and then I'll be back. Don't worry, I'll do the talking, so it won't take long."

"Ha! Great to see you Dayo, seriously. It's gonna be nice to have something fresh and properly cooked again, too."

*****

"Here you go, Nuru, beef with mushroom and wine sauce over wheat ribbon, and a nice cup of cider."

"Smells like heaven. Here's a little extra for your trouble. No, I insist. We'll probably be out late tonight, later than usual I'm guessing. I don't want Mesi to think I'm ungrateful."

"I'm sure she doesn't. But thank you."

He ate quickly, but slow enough to enjoy it a bit. "Oh yes, wonderful choice. Shall we go?"

"We'll go slow, stomach cramps are good for nobody."

"Ghouls are worse, if we're out too late. Don't worry about me."

They walked in silence for a little bit.

"So, Nuru... I'm sorry, I'm really no good at this. Forgive me if I'm out of line here. Is there anything you want to talk about?"

"There are things I simply cannot talk about."

"I know. I just thought- you've been a wanted man for the first time in your life. You're so young, that can't be easy. If there's anything you wanted to say, just to get it off your chest..."

"I'm not ready. I don't even know how to talk about it. Someday, maybe."

"I hope you don't think less of me to know that I am relieved. I'm not sure I'm ready to hear it yet, either. The things they're saying about you, Nuru! Mesi will listen anytime. Well, she'll try, and then get distracted by her own commentary," Dayo smirked.

"Where are we going?"

"The edge of the world."

"What, there's a cliff?"

"It looks like one, but it's just a border."

"It's so... empty here."

"That's the point. Who goes around touching the edges of the map? There's nowhere to go, you can see it enough to clear the fog, why actually touch it? And so, they never find the spot."

Dayo vanished.

"Wait... holy crap, where'd you go?!"

He stepped forward, waving his hand carefully. It disappeared.

"Well I'll be darned into a full-body sweater. It's an illusion!"

"Don't stand around, someone might see you," Dayo said, yanking him in by the hand.

"Sorry, that's just so cool."

"Can't say it really impresses me anymore," Dayo said.

"Why n- oooh," Nuru said, staring up into the hallways they were now standing in.

It stretched up and away, great tapestries and raid trophy skulls hung from the walls.

"I know it's hard to make out, we've cut down on the lighting to save money," Dayo said. "Officially that's the reason. But... I suspect maybe to hide the cobwebs, more than anything else. Lights are cheap, time for cleaning isn't, lately."

"I mean it's still pretty awesome. I've got a little bit of fence, and that's it. I can't put any of this down."

"That whole section of wall is hydra heads, just from the one beast."

"I mean sure, who doesn't need that on their wall?"

"I'd trade it for a clean washroom, personally. But anyway, the altar is this way."

"Note to self for my lair. Build washroom, then clean it," Nuru said.

Dayo chuckled. She led him through a gallery of skeletons.

"These for reinamation? Assuming you're allowed to say."

"Nah. Can't be a proper Low Faction without a few skeletons in the closet, and we ran out of closets. So we decided to put them out, darken the place up a bit."

"You're kidding."

"I am. You don't know how long I've been waiting to make that joke."

"Stop the presses. Dayo has a sense of humor!"

"Hey now, don't spread it around, I've got a reputation to maintain."

"Don't worry, I wouldn't believe it either if I hadn't been here. Hey! Is that what I think it is?"

"Yep, the elusive mermaid."

"I heard it was a hoax. Somebody took a monkey and a fish and put their skeletons together."

"Is that what it looks like to you?"

"Not that I'm an expert, but no."

"You'll just have to take my word that it's legitimate. Also, because I think that's my quota of small talk for the day."

"Hah! ...alright. Hint taken."

The end of the gallery had a single skeleton on the left side towards the end, tapering up to a massive fanged mouth with a split lower jaw that served as the frame to the exit doorway. Nuru shivered and stepped carefully on his way through.

"Old one, may I present the bard Nuru," Dayo said gravely.

"Why hello there - did you say Nuru? As in, _that_ Nuru?" the hooded man said, holding an ornate staff.

"The same," Dayo nodded.

"I've heard much attributed to you these last days... intriguing things. Is it true, are you both the accused and the victim separately in two trials at once?"

"I suppose I am."

"He's here for the-" Dayo started, but the man cut in.

"Tut, tut. Let him speak for himself. It's been awhile since we've had fresh faces here. Nuru, be most welcome. Can I interest you in a Death Speaker spell? A soul foster program?"

Dayo was standing stiff and hugged her robes in tightly, as if she'd been struck.

"Ah, maybe later. I understand there is a temple here?"

"Of sorts. I am Onyekachi, archon and priest of our esteemed Tumelo, and we do offer souls their final peace at the altar. But we are much more than the conduit for one's level. Are you ambitious, Nuru?"

"I do have a rather compelling goal, outside that gate."

"Care to share it?"

"That _is_ the goal. I don't know what's outside that gate, exactly- but I'll risk anything I have to in order to get there."

"We can certainly help with that, not only to claim your levels but also the EXP to get there, and direction afterwards."

"I'm a little busy for that at the moment, but I'll keep it in mind."

"Dayo, convince him with some of that charm, will you? There's a good girl. Now, feel free to come by and trade in that EXP as much as you like."

"Ah... thank you. I'll do that now if you don't mind."

"Step right up, place your hand there, and reap the blessings."

Nuru put his hand on the altar, and his vision went black. He just as quickly removed it.

"Uh... that's weird. Is it broken?"

"Ah, my apologies! I forget that it's a little different than you're used to - I haven't visited a High Faction temple in ages. Yes, you'll see only darkness, but give it a moment."

He put his hand back down, and his vision went black again. After a few seconds, his level selection faded in with a deep purple hue on the emptiness.

"Oh, I like it!"

This time around, he was a bit more careful with his Level Four skills. Instead of the usual small-weapon strikes he clearly wasn't using, he picked Lv1 Attack Prediction, unlocked the Evasion Posture skill tree, and Safe Tumble subskill.

"Would've been great to have all that a few days ago," he muttered to himself.

(Hey, why didn't I just respec here instead of getting in trouble at the High Faction temple?)

/You'd have been in trouble anywhere - this is still in the detection area for demon intrusion, and I'd have had to punch a hole in the wards. I could do it for a space you can stand in, but you don't want to be the one that brought the paladins down on this place./

(Better to burn only bridges I no longer want to use, eh?)

/Also, I had to stick my thumb in their eye. For fun, and notoriety./

(Doesn't that detract from the other demons underestimating you?)

/It's a delicate balance, true. I'm using the subtle art of insinuation - proving nothing, but suggesting much, and letting others' imagination work on my behalf./

(You really are a dangerous one. Father Emeka wasn't understating matters when he warned me about you.)

/And I have a notion about what we can do together. I have some questions to answer, that will take a bit of time. Focus on getting your levels and avoid getting caught by those paladins if possible, and I will assist how I can. Whatever you do - do *not* reveal the pact. Ever. Your friends are safe in your confidence but it must end with them./

(As if I would be that foolish.)

/I cannot overstate the seriousness of this. If such word gets out, you will see a holy war such as you have never dreamed. Succubi and Incubi are some of the most feared of the demon classes, by the High Faction gods at least. There have been a few of us so successful that many of them have banded together to throw them down, rather than the usual competitive spirit they have in taking demons on individually, for their own glorification. I'll be blessed if I know what the reason is, but I intend to find out. I think my new lieutenant needs to go on a few quests for me./

(What about Katlego? Since you're not dead, isn't her compulsion still alive?)

/Fuck her silly every chance you get. Otherwise, leave her to me. I will tell you what to do when the time comes./

(With pleasure.)

Nuru closed out and took the level. He blew out a deep breath.

"Better?"

"Yes, sir. Thank you."

"Anytime! Say, if you happen across any fresh Air Crystals, do bring them to me. Day-old or less, I have a standing offer of a hundred currency for every milligram."

"Gosh, I don't know that it's likely I'll run across any of that out here, but I'll keep it in mind."

"Excellent. Take care, now! Dayo, help this lad out, he's got a wonderful dark future ahead."

"At once, old one."

"He's coming to your bash, isn't he? Why, of course he is. Friend of the faction now and all."

"We, ah - hadn't discussed it. He's very busy."

"Make an effort, Nuru. She might loosen up for once. Dress up all fancy like she used to."

Nuru raised an eyebrow, but said nothing.

"Weekend after next. There'll be food and everything."

"It might work out, we'll see," Nuru said.

"I hope it does. I won't keep you from your important work any longer. Tah tah!"

They walked silently to the invisible door. Dayo relaxed a little outside.

"So, where to today? I'm at your disposal, apparently. No matter what quests I was working on."

"You haven't told him, have you? About not being a girl anymore."

She sighed. "I've tried, many times. He just doesn't get it; he's very old fashioned in some ways. The whole group is."

"And you chose them anyway?"

"There's some things you just can't know before you join. And it's hard to change first impressions, I was fresh out of Level Two when I came across them, still identifying as a girl at the time. Wore a lot of dark makeup and tight pants back then. I think that was part of what got me invited, the way I looked matched their aesthetic, and now... they still see the person I used to be. I know I'm not making it sound very attractive, but they really are a good group for me. They don't deny me any of the paths the way many factions would, and I've grown a lot."