Black and Blue Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Part 4 - Teachable Moments

At 1:30pm, we trickled into the Main Conference Room. With the Chief and Sheriff still at their working lunch, I led the meeting, taking the chair at the end of the table nearest the door. Commander Cindy Ross took the chair at the far side of the table. To my right, nearest the door, was Captain Tanya P. Muscone, and to her right were Lieutenants Mary Milton, Jerome Davis, and Micah Rudistan.

On my left was Lt. Cmdr. Teresa Croyle, then Captains Hewitt and Abram, then Lt. DeLong and Sr. Sgt. McGhillie.

Filling the 12th and last chair, to Cindy's left, was ADA Savannah Fineman. She had called Tanya about the case, as the preliminary hearing was Monday, and was told about this meeting.

"Thank you all for coming." I said. "I wanted to touch base with all of you about this drug case, and I apologize for not doing this sooner. First, where do we stand on this preliminary hearing? And is Gwen Munson confirmed to be the Defense attorney?"

ADA Fineman said "I've sent out subpoenas for Sergeant McCombs, Officers Hendricks and Hatch, Lt. Milton, and Sonali. And Gwen Munson has handled everything so far, so as far as I know she'll be defending them Monday."

"Why Sonali?" Cpt. Muscone asked.

"Isn't she the normal Vice data guru?" Savannah answered with a question.

"That used to be the case." said Mary Milton. "But now we spread the load around in Intel, except Purvis handles the major financial stuff. Having said that, I think Sonali is still the right point of contact for the stuff we've worked up on Jacquez Wilson and this bunch of losers McCombs busted."

"Okay," I said, "I've read through the reports, looked at the video, and skimmed over what Intel Branch had prepared, and I have one question: what gave McCombs probable cause to pull over that car?"

Sr. Sergeant McGhillie said "He saw a suspicious car come off a farm road onto County Road 5, sir."

"Is that illegal?" I asked.

"Not on its own, sir," said McGhillie, "but the car and car tags had already been identified as the property of a person or persons working with Jacquez Wilson, known for drug distribution. McCombs called in the tag, and was informed of that. And that'd be enough to pull them over."

"That's debatable." said Cindy.

"I think it was plenty enough." said Savannah Fineman. "Especially since the car was seen on a farm road that is not a public road but on private property that was not the car owner's."

"Hold on, folks." I said. "First, to play Devil's Advocate, we're starting to accumulate a big timeframe for McCombs to have seen the car, gotten behind it, radioed it in, gotten an answer, then pulled the car over. From what I'm seeing, he pulled it over pretty quickly after it turned onto County 5. Is that not so?"

"Within 100 feet, sir." said Mary Milton. "And he hit them with the lightbar just as soon as they turned on to County 5."

"And why is that a problem?" asked Savannah.

"It's not." I said. "And don't get me wrong, here. I may not be doing a good job of asking the questions to get where I want to go. So let me ask this, Ms. Fineman: when you go into that hearing Monday, in Judge Harry Nance's Court, the first thing out of defense attorney Gwen Munson's potty mouth will be 'what was McCombs's probable cause?'. What will your response be?"

Savannah said "What Sergeant McGhillie just said. Suspicious car on a farm road, known to be involved in drug distribution."

"And that's what I'm getting to." I said. "How was it known to be suspicious, so that McCombs could be told it was suspicious?"

"Our intel, sir." said Mary Milton. I gave her a dark look; I had wanted to hear that from Savannah herself.

"And how was that intel developed Ms. Fineman?" I asked.

"Ohhhh..." Tanya groaned. She then looked at me with less than zero perkiness on her face and said "I see where you're going with this, sir."

"Share with the whole class." replied Teresa Croyle.

"I'll be glad to." I said. "Lieutenant Milton, am I correct that this intel was developed by either an embedded C.I. or undercover Police Officer?"

"Yes." said Mary, also starting to understand. "Ice Cube." She meant Detective J.J. Perry, our deep undercover man.

"And here's the 'teachable moment', Commander Croyle, and everyone." I said. "We have C.I.s and sometimes undercover Detectives who are so valuable that we have been willing to drop cases and let the perps go free rather than reveal the identities of those assets. We have as one of our Vice Detectives a man that most of you have probably never seen; and if you did, you didn't realize he was part of the TCPD like yourselves."

Your Iron Crowbar: "When we have a case big enough that we don't want to let it go, we work to find other means of confirming our data, so that when we go to Court we can give that as the probable cause without having to expose our C.I. or Officer. The intel this asset was bringing us was building up for something far bigger than just busting four lowlifes on a farm road."

Me: "It probably should not have been disseminated to McCombs when he radioed in the car tag. We might have been a wee bit too efficient, there, Ms. Milton. I'm not placing blame, just pointing this out so we can do better in the future. But the issue, Ms. Fineman, is if we want to just drop this case or not, especially if Gwen Munson tries to get our asset publicly identified."

"Do we have a workaround now?" asked Teresa.

"I don't know." said Savannah. "If we have to put McCombs on the stand, he will very likely say what he put in his Police Report, that he radioed in the car tag and it came back flagged."

"And Gwen Munson knows that already," Tanya said, "and has probably already worked out a line of attack. But... you don't think she knows enough to go after our asset, do you?"

I replied: "Think about it: Gwen Munson herself is the attorney for four dirtbags! She normally does not handle this riffraff; she handles big-time clients. So her personal involvement in this has my hackles up."

"It may not matter." said Fineman. "The charge the four dirtbags didn't waive the preliminary hearing for is the gun possession charge."

"And to that point," I said, holding up a CSI report, "is this correct that there were no fingerprints found on the one gun found in the car? Not on the gun nor the cartridges? No prints at all? "

"That is correct." ADA Fineman replied. "But it was still found in the car, in the glove compartment, so we can charge them for it."

"No fingerprints at all." I said with emphasis, which ADA Fineman was studiously trying to ignore. "That in itself is almost 'reasonable doubt' to pin this gun charge on these four bozos. And that's another 'teachable moment' for all of you."

I continued: "I've seen this a lot of times: someone doesn't even squeak over one criminal charge, but fights like holy hell over another one, especially an added gun charge. They usually fight when they really are innocent. And that's the case here: the video shows all four perps not even blinking when the drugs were found... but raising hell when the gun was found."

"So what?" Fineman said, beginning to sound exasperated. "It was found in their possession!"

"So whose gun was it?" I asked. "Specifically whose?"

"It doesn't matter!" said Fineman. "I'm charging all four with it. And I'm expecting the three whose gun it's not to tell us whose gun it is. Is your Police Department going to help me get that out of them, or not?"

"First of all," I said, "you've had weeks to make that happen... and none of them have gone for the bait. Second, it's pretty obvious, at least to me, they're not going to snitch. And third, the gun was found by the most incompetent Police Officer on the Force, in tandem with the two most corrupt Officers on the Force, all of whom have their jobs only because I haven't found a way past the Union to get them kicked to the kerb."

"So what are you saying, Commander Troy?" said Savannah Fineman angrily, nearly yelling.

"Isn't it obvious?" I replied angrily. "I'm saying this gun was very likely planted! And even if it wasn't, how can you prove which individual's gun it was?"

"For God's sake!" Fineman yelled. "Why are you always trying to sabotage my cases?!"

"I'm not!" I yelled back. "I'm trying to point out how flimsy this is, and prevent you from getting your ass whipped in Court over it! You don't have a case here!"

"I don't agree." said Fineman. "I'm taking this to Court on Monday! Now are you going to help find out who the gun belonged to, or not?"

"What, help frame them?" Teresa Croyle asked. When ADA Fineman glared at her, Teresa said "Commander Troy is exactly right. That gun charge is so suspicious, and so easy to defeat, that it could kill your entire drug case."

Savannah Fineman began collecting her things to go. "I just don't get it." she said, as if talking to herself. "We've got four criminals dead-to-rights, yet you jerks are doing all you can to exonerate them and put them back on the streets to sell more drugs and kill people."

"That's not what we're doing." I said. "We're----"

"You're doing the same God-damned things you accused Gil Krasney of doing!" Savannah yelled as she stood up. "We have a case here, a good case, a big one! And you're bringing up every objection on behalf of the Defense that you can!"

She went for the door, saying "Those of you who got subpoenas, be ready to testify Monday morning!" She exited the room.

"Okayyyy." I said to break the silence in the room. "Despite what Ms. Fineman just said, I am going to look further into this, to get to the truth of it. Everyone not named 'Commander' or 'Muscone' is free to go... and should go." Everyone not named 'Commander' or 'Muscone' left quickly, leaving me with my three Angels.

"Was I wrong to say what I did?" Teresa asked as Cindy came up to sit by Tanya.

"Not at all." I said. "Except that you beat me to it."

"You think Savannah's trying to frame those guys?" Cindy asked, her eyes a bit wide-eyed.

"No, not her." I said. "She sees this as a big case, to help her in the election for Solicitor, and she's overlooking some obvious problems in order to make the case. However... did Hatch plant that gun, and was that possibly a situation planned by McCombs, Hendricks, and Hatch? Very possible."

"I wouldn't put it past them." Tanya said. "But how did they do it?"

I said "More teachable moments. We have to make sure the Intel we're developing on anything doesn't get out too soon. Again, I'm not bringing the crowbar down on anyone for being too helpful when McCombs radioed in the car tag; that shit happens sometimes. But my thesis is that someone knew of that Intel before that stop, and McCombs was just waiting on those guys when he caught them, rather than coincidentally come up the road at the same time."

"Because he hit the lightbar so fast?" Teresa asked.

I nodded, then said "And Hatch is not supposed to be on patrol. Unlike you, Iron Wolf, I have been able to force desk duty upon that slug, and Court courier duty. So he's patrolling with Hendricks? Coincidence? And Hendricks being so close by, and right there to back up McCombs? Coincidence? They're starting to become a steaming pile of suspicion, at least to me."

"I agree with every word you're saying." Tanya said. "I am just not understanding the 'why' of it."

Teresa said "You know, McCombs didn't have his Officer-cam on, nor his vehicle's dashcam when he pulled them over. All our information on that is from radio triangulation and Hendricks's dashcam. No telling what McCombs said to those guys before Hendricks got there... like maybe racial epithets."

"Stupid if he did, though." said Cindy. "Four of them, one of him---- ohhhh!"

"What?" Teresa asked, seeing me nod in knowing what Cindy was thinking.

"That would all but prove those guys didn't know that gun was in the glove compartment!" Cindy said. "McCombs starts going off on them, calling them the n-word or something, and he'd be getting shot."

"I entirely agree." I said. "Want a crowbar? Ohhh, that's right, you already have one." My Angels laughed, and Tanya and Cindy fist-bumped.

"All right." I said. "I'm going to go to County Jail and talk to the two perps we still have in custody."

"Is that a good idea?" asked Cindy. "They may have invoked already, and Fineman already thinks you're trying to screw up her case."

"To hell with what she thinks." I muttered. "Who wants to go with me?..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Meanwhile...

Patrolmen Kevin Buchannan and Ron McElwane were driving along one of the side streets near Al Sharpton Elementary in the southwest corner of Town, in the Southwestern Ghetto that was the poorest area of the County. McElwane was white and Buchannan was black. (Author's note: 'Casting Aspersions', Ch. 04; 'Only Time', Ch. 03; 'Time Flies', Ch. 02 for McElwane; 'Believer', Ch. 01 for Buchannan.)

"How's your baby doing?" asked McElwane as they drove along.

"Good." said Buchannan. "Growing like a weed---"

They were interrupted by the radio. "Be advised of a possible abduction. Black male, approximately 30 years old, 5'9" tall, medium build. Believed to be with a male child, black, 10 years old, wearing a red and white striped shirt and blue jeans..."

"Hey, what's that up there?" said McElwane, seeing a man and a boy walking through an empty lot between two buildings.

*WOOP-WHOOP!*

The siren blast stopped the pair, and they turned to face the Officers as they got out of the car.

"Get your hands up!" yelled McElwane, who had drawn his gun. Both the man and boy complied. "Get on your knees!"

"I'm unarmed." said the man.

"GET ON YOUR KNEES!" yelled McElwane.

"I ain't getting on my knees in front of my son." said the man.

"Hold up." said Buchannan, going forward.

"What are you DOING?" barked McElwane. "He may be armed! You're putting the child in danger!"

"Dude, chill out!" said Buchannan. "Lower your weapon." To the man he said "Put your hands on your head. Stay standing, but put your hands on your head." Both the man and boy complied.

"Okay, I've got to frisk you." said Buchannan.

"What's this about?" asked the man. "I didn't do nothing."

As he frisked the man, Buchannan said "We got a call about an abducted boy, matching your son's clothing. We gotta check it out." To McElwane he said loudly "He's clean!" McElwane did not holster his weapon but came closer, pointing it at the ground.

"Where's your ID?" McElwane asked harshly.

"ID?" the man said incredulously. "I ain't got no ID!"

"Y'all stay here a minute." said Buchannan. "Kid, can I talk to you a second?"

"Am I in trouble?" said the kid, who sounded as scared as he looked.

"No, not at all." said Buchannan as he led the kid a few feet away. "What's your name?"

"Oliver." said the kid. "Everyone calls me 'O'."

"Hi, O. I'm Kevin." said Buchannan. "Who is this man with you?"

"My dad." said O.

"Where you guys going?" Kevin asked.

"Home." said O. "My dad walks me home from school every day."

"Where do you live?" Kevin asked. Oliver gave him an address.

"Is your mom there?" Buchannan asked.

"My grandma is." said Oliver.

They went back to the others. "What's your address?" he asked. The man gave him an address, which matched what Oliver had said.

"Okay, let's take them there." said Buchannan...

Part 5 - Against the Grain

3:00pm, Friday, May 1st. Teresa was riding shotgun as I drove my Police SUV out of the parking lot onto Riverside Drive. Instead of turning left to go north, I turned right and went south.

"I'm going to get to County Jail by the long route of going up County Road 5." I said as we went down to MLK Jr. Avenue and turned west. Crossing the bridge over the River, I then turned north onto County Road 5.

"Here's the turnoff where McCombs spotted those guys." Teresa said. I pulled over to the side of the road and turned on my lightbar.

"Interesting." I said, looking around. "What do you see here, Commander Croyle?"

"A lot of flat farm fields." Teresa replied. "And they're not growing corn, here. What are those, carrots?"

"I dunno." I said. "But you're right, there's nothing tall being grown here. And that's what I wanted to see. McCombs was coming south on this road, so the driver coming east on that dirt road should've been able to see McCombs's Patrol cruiser from a good distance away."

"In plenty of time to throw that gun out of the car... if it was there and they knew it." Teresa said.

"Right you are, Iron Wolf." I said. "But it also helps McCombs's story. He saw them from a distance, then got behind them and pulled them over when they got to County 5."

"He couldn't see their license tag, though." said Teresa. "And according to the tracking of his car radio, he didn't stop for any length of time on this road. He turned off Jefferson and came south just in time to see them and pull them over right after they made the turn south."

"Well, he could've stopped them, radioed it in, got the info on the car being suspicious, then gotten out and made them get out of the car." I said. "But what interests me is the timing of him coming down the road just as they were getting to it... and he wasn't sitting there waiting for them. What about Hendricks and Hatch? Did their car stop?"

"Yes, off and on, a lot." said Teresa. "But they were in a Patrol cruiser, also, and farther north when the call came in. Which would make sense that they were nearby if they heard the call and came on down the road."

"It makes sense, and it's made to look like coincidentally good timing." I said. "Still, for those two clowns to be closest to the scene right when McCombs needs them to be... just a wee bit too much coincidence."

"So what are you thinking?" Teresa said. "Someone else was watching the perps, and alerted McCombs?"

"Yes." I said. "An unmarked car, or a drone But more than that, the perps were being watched coming out here in the first place."

"So they had the intel on 'Toddler' in advance," said Teresa, "found him, followed him, then alerted McCombs, who moved in and busted them. Aside from the fact that McCombs is dirty, I don't see the problem."

I said "Well... maybe I'm paranoid, going against the grain, seeing things that are really not there..." I was falling into a reverie.

"Bullshit." said Teresa. "That's why you're the Iron Crowbar. You do see what no one else sees, except Carole. And when you go against the grain, we all pay attention."

I nodded pensively, not responding to the attempt at humor about Carole "Yeah, and I'm seeing something here, too. What's on the other side of that dirt road?" I began looking it up on the map app on the small computer. "Hmm, it goes to the River, and stops. What is that north-south dirt road there?"

Teresa replied: "It goes along the River from the Hammondsville Highway to County Road 2 near the southern County line. Technically the farms here own the land up to the River, but the County has an easement or right-of-way to travel on the dirt road with County vehicles, including Police vehicles."

"Good place for a drug deal to go down?" I asked.

"Plenty of privacy." said Teresa. "But if a drone spots a group of people out here, it's something we the Police would quickly check out, especially after dark. It's a bit too lonely and open, if you know what I mean."

I nodded. "And we do patrol it. Kevin Greeley was found over there." (Author's note: 'The Other World', Ch. 03-04.) I then turned to Teresa and said "If it were anybody besides Sergeant McCombs, I'd be thinking nothing of this, nothing a'tall, and we wouldn't be out here looking at it. But it is McCombs, and something's just not right about this. Okay, let's go to County Jail."