Black and Blue Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I pulled onto the road, then turned off my lightbar as we headed north...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The two black men were brought into the Interrogation Room at County Jail. I specifically ordered that they not be handcuffed to the table, even though there was one of me and two of them.

Also present was their attorney, Hunter Harris, of the Rosemont & Burisma Law Firm. He was a Public Defender, and he looked a little bit like former World Chess Champion Garry Kasparov.

"How did you get assigned to this?" I asked as we met in the anteroom before going into the interrogation room. "I thought Gwen Munson was their attorney."

"These two split off, over the gun charge." said Hunter Harris. "They asked for a Public Defender, and I'm it. We're going to make the Motion to Sever during the Monday morning hearing, if the charge isn't dropped. I volunteered to represent them; those charges are crap, especially the gun charge."

"Just between you and me, completely off the record," I said, "what's really going on here?"

"I can't really speak to you about it." said the legal beagle. "I'll just say this. Savannah Fineman is the poster child of 'airhead blonde' if she really thinks she has a case, here. On the gun charge, anyway."

"They're really fighting that one hard." I mused, trying to keep my voice as casual as possible.

"And I don't blame them." said Harris.

We went inside. Hunter Harris sat at the end, to the right of his clients, as I sat down opposite them, reading their files.

I said "I know you've been read your rights, but you have not formally invoked yet." I looked at the files then looked at the man on the right, nearest the lawyer. I said musingly him: "Hmmm, 'JF', which stands for 'Jesus Freak'. How did you get that name? You hate or love Jesus?"

"You obviously didn't grow up Catholic." replied 'Jesus Freak'.

"No, I didn't." I said. "Says here you were in a Catholic orphanage in the City, and they didn't believe you when you said every kid there was being raped every night... until you killed two of their priests one night."

"That's right." said 'Jesus Freak', his voice low and menacing as the memories I'd just brought up were obviously troubling him.

"And you, 'Mr. Handsome'?" I said, looking at the other man, who was older, and had an ugly pug face, reminding me of Mr. Wrestling I and Mr. Wrestling II, two 'wrestlers' from decades past that wore masks to hide their ugly features. "Why are you hanging out with these other cats? You've only been arrested for petty thefts, shoplifting, purse-snatching a couple of times. Nothing big, nothing involving drugs. What, The Teacher expanding into the drug trade?"

"I got nuthin' for you." muttered 'Mr. Handsome'.

"Not even to tell me why you were caught with a gun in your car?" I asked.

"That wasn't our gun!" Jesus Freak yelled. "None of us in that car had any guns on us! That was a set-up!"

"What about the drugs?" I asked. "What, three bricks of smack and a key of fentanyl? That's a lot of fentanyl. What are you doing, trying to kill every man, woman, and child in the City?" The two men said nothing. "Nothing? Not even a protest of your innocence?"

"We ain't snitches." muttered Mr. Handsome.

"You ain't out on bail, either," I said, "though your buddies Toddler and Camo are. Why have they left you to rot for a month, huh?" That seemed to rock the perps; they both blinked as if startled. Then they recovered.

"We'll be out Monday." said Mr. Handsome. "Unless you wanna let---"

"Stop talkin!" ordered Jesus Freak. He turned to me and said "We ain't got nuthin' for you, Iron Cracker, not after your Pigs set us up like they did."

"Okay then." I said with seeming joviality. I got up, then said "Before I go, I'll say just one thing: I know what you're thinking, and what you've been told. But you better think twice, and not believe Gwen Munson's shit. You're looking at twenty years, the hard way... and in a place they're gonna do to you what those priests did to you as a boy, J.F. So think about it." With that, I turned and left the room.

Teresa had been watching in the anteroom. As I came out, she came up to me and said "Sir, the Chief is in the Conference Room on the 1st Precinct side, and he said he wants us to go there when you're done here."

"Let's get moving, then." I replied.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

When we got to the Conference Room, we found Chief Moynahan was not alone. District Attorney Miriam Walters and ADA Savannah Fineman were with him.

"Hello, Ms. Fineman." I said. "Why didn't you come join me for that instructive questioning of those suspects?"

Chief Moynahan said "We watched from here, thanks to the miracullll of modern technologyyyyyyyy."

"And we're wondering why you've suddenly taken such an interest in this case," said D.A. Walters, "which to this point was cut-and-dried, and headed to a solid prosecutorial win."

"Are you familiar with the case, Ms. Walters?" I asked as the Chief directed for Teresa and me to sit down.

"Well enough I could walk into Court and prosecute it myself." said Miriam Walters.

"And that gun nor its cartridges having any fingerprints doesn't bother you in the slightest?" I asked. "Nor that these guys don't raise a finger to defend themselves when I mention the drugs, but when I mention the gun their heads practically explode?"

"SO WHAT?" yelled Savannah Fineman, her face beet red with total fury.

"Calm down, Savannah." Miriam Walters said, but Fineman was having none of it.

"No! I'm tired of this crap, and I've already gone through this with this... this Police Officer." she yelled sneeringly, apparently about to call me something else. "Whose side is your Police Officer ON, Chief Moynahan?"

Teresa Croyle had had enough of it. She stood up and all but yelled "You're right: we did already go through this! And I reassert what I said before: Neither Commander Troy nor any other Police Officer is under any obligation to help you frame those four men!"

"She's not framing anyone!" D.A. Walters said strongly but coldly. "This is a solid case. We have four perps found with drugs in their vehicle and a gun in the glove compartment of their car. What more do you want?"

"I want to save the life of my undercover Police Officer." I said levelly but coldly. "As we already went through with your ADA, Ms. Walters, the only 'probable cause' Sergeant McCombs had to pull that car over and search it... was intel developed by that undercover C.I."

I turned to Chief Moynahan and said "I apologize for not informing you of this earlier, Chief, but you were in a meeting. Based upon everything I have learned today, especially the knowledge that Gwen Munson is going to be the Defense counsel Monday, I believe that if we don't drop this case, our asset will be exposed."

"That's certainly an isssssuuue, Commander." replied Moynahan.

"You want to drop this?" Savannah Fineman said incredulously, and angrily. "I've got a solid win, putting four drug pushers in prison!"

"And an election in November." replied Teresa cattily. Savannah glared at Teresa again, and got a 'Teresa Cunt' look right back at her.

"If you would keep your mouth shut for one minute, Savannah," I said, deliberately using her first name to demean her, "you might learn that your assumptions are inaccurate."

I turned to the Chief and said "Sir, we may not have to drop the drug charges, especially if we offer to drop the gun charge in exchange for guilty or even nolo pleas on the drugs. The way those two were acting today, they may take us up on it."

I continued: "Failing that, let D.A. Walters and ADA Patterson go into the hearing and see how it goes. Maybe they won't ask for the probable cause, especially if we're not pushing on the drug charges. And if they do... we need to decide before then whether or not to ask the charges to be dropped, or let the source be burned to get these four put in jail."

"You consider that an option?" Chief Moynahan asked, stunned.

"First of all," said Savannah Fineman angrily, "this is MY case, not Paulina Patterson's. And second, Ms. Walters, I'm opposed to dropping the gun charge. I say we have them dead-to-rights on it, it will add years to their prison terms, and it's still a bargaining chip to get them to turn on their fellow drug pushers."

"We need to talk about that further." said Miriam Walters. "Chief, why don't you and I talk alone about it, and----"

"That will not dooooooo, Ms. Walters." said the Chief. "I need to hear more from my Police Commander. And I'll tell you now, this decision belongs with him more than anyone else right now."

"You're the Police Chief!" Savannah said rudely. "It's not his decision to make!"

"Oh, but it is." said Chief Moynahan. "You see, there's a reeeeee-son he's carrying that crowbar. Why don't you and your boss discuss things here, while I take my Commanders here and make Captain Hewitt sweat a little bit while we do a snap inspection of his Precinct?"

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

We first inspected the round concrete table and curving concrete benches around it that were on the front lawn behind the flagpole of the 1st Precinct and County Jail Headquarters. There were no pigeon droppings, so that was a 'Pass'. Chief Moynahan had us sit down and enjoy the afternoon sunshine as we observed Police vehicles coming in for the upcoming shift change.

"Was Ms. Fineman always that ruuuude when she was on the Charter Commission with you, Commanderrrr?" drawled the Chief.

"No sir." I said. "She was close to that incompetent, though. And what you heard in that meeting was pretty much a repeat of what we said earlier, but she's acting like she's ignorant of it."

"If I may, sir." Teresa said, and we both nodded and she continued: "From her reaction, I think that I hit a nerve when I accused her of trying to frame those four guys. I don't think it's just getting a political win, there, either."

"Racial?" the Chief asked.

Teresa shrugged as she said "I don't know for sure. But I do know McCombs and Hendricks have been reported to I.A. for race-related incidents."

I said "I think what Fineman is doing is political all the way. And I haven't seen anything to suggest she and McCombs are in league on this."

"Changing the subject," said the Chief, "What I wanted to ask you about, and not in the D.A.'s presence, is that I take it from your comments that you think it might be time to bring our spy in from the cold?"

"Yes sir, that is what I'm thinking." I said. "Ice Cube Perry has been totally undercover for several years now. It's only a matter of time before he gets outed. And we need someone in Vice... a regular Vice Detective... so now might well be the time..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"The grandmother identified both of them." said McElwane as he and Buchannan drove back towards the Old Mill. "But you know, if he'd been armed, you could've been shot."

"But he wasn't." said Buchannan. "And he didn't act scared when we first came up, either. And walking out in public like that... that's not what a kidnapper would do."

"Hmmphf." said McElwane. "You gonna apply for a blue crowbar?"

"Naw, it's not like that." said Buchannan. "And one more thing... when a white cop tells a black man to get on his knees, especially with his children watching? He ain't gonna do it."

"It's standard procedure." said McElwane.

"No it ain't." said Buchannan. "There's a bunch of ways that can be handled, but I'm telling you: if you tell a black man to go to his knees like that, he ain't gonna do it. And if you'd shot an unarmed black man in front of his child, this place would be burning tonight..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

After more discussion, we went back inside. D.A. Walters and ADA Fineman had left, with Walters leaving the Chief a written note that said simply 'Call me for a one-on-one.' The Chief sent me and Teresa on home.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Friday evening, May 1st. We were having dinner at The Cabin. Edward and Stephanie Steele had come over with Marie, and Laura, Paulina, and Molly were also present. After dinner, Edward and I talked on the back deck.

"How are the Council primaries going to go?" I asked.

"Good, I think." replied Edward. "Only two of the seats have any primary competition: Malinda Adams versus Stacy Jacobs, and Silas vs. Dr. Williams for Reginald Lewis's seat. I think Malinda will win against Jacobs; that district doesn't have the demographics for a black candidate to run on pure identity politics, like Jacobs is doing. And the winner of the Lewis district is going to win the General, but it's a dead-even race for the moment."

"Any preferences?" I asked.

"I think everyone, even the Democrats, want Malinda to beat Stacy Jacobs." said Edward. "Jacobs is rabidly into issues like defunding the Police. We all think she'll be more bombastic on the Council than Kelly Carnes and Reginald B.F. Lewis put together. And J.P. Goldman told me that she believes 'Black Lives Matter'... and nobody else's lives matter."

"Sounds like Lester Holder." I said.

"It's the mantra of the whole Mainstream Media nowadays." said Edward. "Anyway, I think we'd prefer Dr. Williams wins the other primary. He was easy to work with on the Charter Commission, and while he's solidly Democrat and devoted to black issues, I think we can work with him. Silas got really bad, like Finneran, when he was on the Boards of Inquiry, and I never quite understood why. But he's become a strong supporter of defunding the Police."

I nodded. "Are you worried about the integrity of the Election?" I asked. "Think they'll try to cheat to help Jacobs win?"

"I don't know." replied Edward, as if he hadn't thought about it. "Do you?"

I said "Stacey Jacobs and Dr. Lionel Carmela are allies, and I wouldn't put anything past him to get the most rabidly Leftist candidates elected. So we'll be watching. Closely."

Edward nodded. "Let me ask you this in return: what's going on with Savannah Fineman?"

"In what way?" I asked.

"It's already getting out about her zeal in prosecuting that gun charge on Jacquez Wilson's boys." Edward replied. "Dr. Williams told me the whole Black Community is watching that case. They think Hatch planted the gun."

"All I can say about that," I said, "is that I would not have pressed the gun charge, just the drug charges. I don't know what Savannah's up to with that."

Edward said "I know you didn't think much of Savannah's contribution to the Charter Commission, either."

I said. "Well, I was disappointed. I was hoping she'd contribute a lot more to the legal and the process stuff, but she seemed determined to max the minimum standard. And that's been her career in the D.A.'s Office, per two most confidential sources within it. But she's going after this one hard..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

We came back in for dessert, and then it was time for some kids to get ready for bed. "Okay, guys," I said, "we'll have Dad Jokes night, and then you can get ready for bed without fussing about it, okay?"

Most of the kids agreed enthusiastically. The exception was the future Second Iron Crowbar... the reason Carole got the nickname 'Fussbudget' from me was because of the fusses she always put up about going to bed.

"Jim and Ross, as defending champions and holders of the blue ribbon," I said as I took the blue ribbon from them, "you get to go first."

"We're going to go separate, this time." said Jim. "Here's mine: "What's brown and sticky? A stick." Everyone groaned.

"That's not going to win you consecutive titles." I said. "Ross?"

Ross said "What do you call a sad cup of coffee? Depresso." The kids groaned and booed. The adults chuckled.

"Not bad, Ross." I said. "Okay, Carole, you're up."

Carole said "Mommy told me I could be anyone I wanted to be. Then Daddy said that identity theft is a crime." The kids booed, of course. The adults were more favorable in their laughter. Laura and I fist-bumped.

Marie said "I can tell when Carole is lying just by looking at her. I can tell when she's standing up, too." The kids booed, especially Carole, but she fist-bumped Marie anyway. The adults liked it.

"I have one!" Tasha said. I pointed at her to go, and she must've had help from her mother, as she said "If you don't like my way of measuring liquids, you will be held in contempt of quart." The kids groaned, and the adults were very polite about it in complimenting Tasha's bad dad joke.

'Okay, Ian," I said, "you're the last hope tonight."

"Okay." Ian said. "How can you tell that a train has come through here? Because it left tracks!" The kids booed, of course. But the adults liked it, especially the one that counted and was holding the blue ribbon.

"Okay, Conductor Ian is the winner tonight." I said, handing him the ribbon. Everyone, including the other kids, clapped for him.

Part 6 - Increasing the Stakes

Saturday, May 2nd. Amber Harris was packing her suitcase when she heard the door alarm go off. She went to the stairs and looked down, and saw two Parole Officers coming into her home, followed by Police Commander Cindy Ross.

"For God's sake!" Amber all but wailed at them. "What now?"

"I heard that you were planning on leaving Town." Cindy said, coming up the stairs. She went to the bedroom and saw the suitcase.

"Going somewhere?" Cindy said. "You've got the Court's permission to travel outside the County?"

"I'm trying to get away from you," Amber said loudly, hoping the other Parole Officers would hear her, "because you keep threatening to kill me!"

"You leave this County, take even one step over the line," Cindy said, "and you're going back to prison."

"Then DO it!" Amber yelled, at her breaking point. "For God's sake, what do you WANT from me?"

"I've told you." Cindy said darkly. "KXTC mentions Betty's baby, or Don being the father, and I take it out on you.

"I can't stop them!" Amber wailed, beginning to cry hysterically. "I've tried! I told them they have to stop, but Penis Holder says he'll never stop, and Burt West won't either! West even told me to my face that he would keep it up even if you killed me!"

Cindy said "Then I guess we'll have to make an example out of you, so that he understands."

"Then DO it!" Amber yelled again. "Take me to prison, or kill me! If you do, it will become public that your adopted daughter is Don's baby, and the Feds will charge him for it! But stop threatening me, and either kill me, bust me, or leave me alone!"

Cindy said "The Feds don't have that case, which is why they tried to forge a document... and got caught. And as you know, your beloved Governor Jared pardoned Don for any State charges. You don't have a leg to stand on, Amber. And if you try to leave the County, your dead body will be found lying in the street, and your children... one of them Trent Ridge's child... will be in DFACS hands. And if Penis Holder keeps it up... your dead body will be found, not his. Yours. You will die for HIS actions."

"Then do it." Amber said softly through her tears. "I can't stop him. I've tried, and I can't stop him."

"She's right."

Cindy looked around to see Bettina Wurtzburg on the landing. Bettina came on up the stairs and said "Amber's right. She's begged Burt West and Holder to stop. I've fought with Burt West over it. He's gone 'Hardwood' on us over this, and he actually said he didn't care if Amber dies, as long as he gets Donald Troy."

"Then you two had better work a lot harder to stop them." Cindy said menacingly.

"Look." Bettina said. "I'm asking you stop persecuting Amber over this. It's out of her hands----"

"Persecuting?" Cindy said, pretending shock. "Both of you whores got on TV and repeatedly lied about Commander Troy, repeatedly supported Holder calling his daughter... my cousin... a racial slur, and both of you repeatedly brought up Betty's baby. And now you're asking ME for mercy? How dare you! How dare you both! You're standing there, begging me to stop, and you haven't even said one word of apology for your own actions in all of this!"