Daughters of the Moon Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"So we're going to an audience with Sophia?" asked Carla.

"Yes with grandma. Don't worry, she's nice."

"Nice?"

"Well she likes me. It'll be fine," said Gwen, "I'll do most of the talking. If she talks to you, just be respectful and call her your highness. Oh and be honest. She can tell if you're lying just by looking at you."

Before Carla could think of any more questions or objections they were at an ornate set of double doors. A pair of guards and an official in elaborate livery were waiting. Gwen nodded to the guard and they opened the doors.

The throne room was revealed ahead of her, it was full of vampires. Carla had never seen so many in one place There had to be at least fifty. Some were talking quietly in groups. Some sipped from goblets refilled by rushing servants, leaving stained red lips. And some just stood with that unnatural stillness, not even breathing, like horrible animated statues. Looking at them, she felt she could easily tell who belonged to the different vampire houses. The Dracul, the house of the Dragon, all looked like petty, bored aristocrats, dressed in finery and glancing at the other vampires with barely concealed contempt. The impressiveness of their appearance was undercut by the fact that many of their outfits were out of date, wearing the trappings of the nobility from decades or centuries past. The Savons, the house she had made an enemy of, were dressed plainly, like the tradesmen, craftsmen, and landladies she rubbed elbows with at work everyday. They tended to be a little older than the other houses, the men with hints of gray in their beards and the women with the slight crows feet that come with squinting at neighbors with suspicion. They looked at their peers with pinched faces and furrowed brows. With the petty grievance of those forever uncertain of their worth. The Mircallas of Gwen's house were the most eclectic of the lot. Some dressed in noble finery, though compared to the Dracul they dressed in styles that were more up to date. Some dressed in the plain, more practical clothes of scribes and scholars and a few were in the tough durable leathers of woodsmen or hunters. Despite the variety in their dress and demeanor, there was one thing that unified the house.

"Are all Mircallas women?" asked Carla.

Gwen nodded, "Only women can join our house. Any man blooded by a Mircalla dies screaming," whispered Gwen

Before Carla could ask why the official they had just walked past, apparently the master of ceremonies, announced their arrival.

"Ser Gwendolin Sophia Mircalla," said the official. It seemed Carla didn't warrant mention.

The court turned to watch them as they moved through the room. Those that bothered to glance at her weighed her openly with predatory eyes. The Savons universally glared at her with barely contained rage. Gwen continued walking as if they were the only ones there and Carla tried to emulate her. She refused to let the court affect her. Carla kept her back stiff and her head high as the eyes burned into her.

Gwen stopped within sight of the duke's throne. Sophia Mircalla was perched upon it.

Carla had seen Sophia before the siege but not this close. She had a thin frame and fine bones. She was red haired and would have been pale even when she was human. She sat with a level of comfort and poise Carla had rarely seen. There was a terrible confidence behind that poise, an iron clad belief that in the great chain of being, from the lowliest insect to the gods above, she stood near the top. She was dressed simply, in a red dress with far less ornamentation than the court around her, with a broach with the moon crest of her house upon it. Carla examined her closely and realized with a shock she was actually rather plain. With a face that was too thin and a nose that was too long to really be pretty, and she couldn't fill a dress the way Gwen or even Carla could. But even though her features were unimpressive, Carla's gaze was drawn to her, and her presence dried the mouth and made Carla sweat. There was an attraction to Sophia Mircalla that went beyond the physical. It was a raw, spiritual aura that flowed from her power and her absolute confidence.

Sophia swept her eyes across Gwen and over Carla. As their eyes briefly locked a bolt of awe jolted through Carla and she dug her fingers into her palms to avoid reacting. Next to her, Gwen shifted nervously.

"Approach," said Sophia, her voice was high but full. With a strange undertone that lingered in the ears.

Gwen stepped forward and knelt, "Your highness."

Gwen glanced at Carla. Started to copy Gwen's bow but Gwen grabbed her wrist and pulled her to both knees. Carla did not enjoy making a full kneel but decided to let it slide. She was very relieved when Sophia bid them to stand.

"Grandchilde, how good of you to join us. Tell us of the occupation."

"It goes smoothly, your highness. Tithes are being collected through the market squares and churches as usual. There have been a few pockets of resistance but I've dealt with them with few deaths."

"Business as usual," said Sophia.

"Yes, your highness."

"You may call me grandsire."

"Yes your... grandsire," said Gwen. There was a tension in Gwen's voice that Carla couldn't really understand. Behind her, the court stirred slightly.

"I understand you've taken a thrall," said Sophia.

"Yes, grandsire."

Sophia weighed Carla with a cool, flat gaze. The feeling of awe, the compulsion to worship redoubled, and Carla had to fight to stay on her feet.

"She certainly is pretty," said Sophia.

Carla tried to fight a blush but failed.

"But it seems you may have acted rashly in taking her into our house," continued Sophia.

"I fail to see why. I captured her myself. There was no one else of the blood present to contest my claim."

"Because she murdered him!" boomed a loud rough voice behind them.

Carla turned and saw a stir as another vampire approached. He was a big barrel of a man. He looked like one of the burghers or guildsmen that her boss used to hobnob with at the clubs or guild halls. One of the ones that would pinch any women that wasn't fast enough to get away and hit their apprentices 'for their own good.' The big vampire glared at her with the flat, dead stare of the truly furious.

"Ah Matej. Always a pleasure," said Sophia.

Matej made a perfunctory bow. Sophia's jaw tightened but Matej didn't seem to notice.

Gwen shrugged, "As I said, no other blooded contributed to her capture. She is mine by right."

Matej hissed at Gwen like a huge angry cat, "You fucking bit..."

"You will speak respectfully in this court. And observe courtesy," Sophia's voice was pure ice.

Matej's jaw snapped shut, "Forgive me, your highness. I am distressed."

"I can see that," said Sophia dryly.

"But I have good cause. This cun...this human, slew my grand nephew Andrej. I claim Injury. Her blood is forfeit. That supersedes any other claim."

There was a tide of whispers behind Carla as the court basked in the drama.

Sophia raised an eyebrow, "I'm surprised you would admit a human would be capable of causing you Injury. This seems more of a failure on your nephew's part than any offense on hers."

This time there was a chorus of chuckles from the vampires hanging on every word. Next to her, Gwen smirked.

Carla could tell if Matej could have blushed he would have. He had that same tight faced look without the red tint.

"She's a witch and she caught him by surprise. She can be afforded exactly the respect required for Vengeance," said Matej.

"Is she a guild mage?"

"No," said Gwen and Carla simultaneously. Then they looked at each other.

Sophia laughed, "Then this one could hardly be worth all this trouble. Surely you wouldn't begrudge my beloved grandchilde her pretty prize."

"If the witch is of no consequence then she could hardly be worthy of your house," said Matej.

"A fair point," said Sophia. She turned her full attention to Carla for the first time.

"Which is it, human?"

"It's Carla, your highness."

"Excuse me?" asked Sophia.

"My name, my name is Carla."

Next to her, Gwen drew in a sharp breath, behind her there were some snorts and sounds of excitement.

Sophia smiled. Her fangs glinted in the mage lamplight, "Ah, of course. Carla, which is it? Are you a small creature of no consequence, unworthy of Matej's request for revenge? Or are you a secret practitioner of great power. A valuable addition to my house?"

"In a just world I would have been a full guild mage years ago, your highness," said Carla without hesitation.

"Such confidence... or perhaps arrogance."

"I know my worth. Even if the men around me never did," said Carla.

"Hmph, that is often a failing of men. They rarely see the value of what is right in front of them. And you are willing to serve my house?"

"I don't see that I have much choice."

"Hardly a show of enthusiasm."

"Gwen said you value honesty," said Carla.

"She gave you good advice. I very much do. If I do allow you to serve me you will not be immolating any more of my subjects?"

"Only if you ask me too," said Carla. She kept her voice very matter of fact.

Matej glared pure murder at her but Sophia let out a rich full laugh.

"I can see why you like this one, my dear," said Sophia.

"I thought you'd appreciate her," said Gwen.

Sophia turned back to Matej, "My grandchilde's actions have been disrespectful, I do not dispute that. But they are within the letter of the law. The thrall is her lawful prize by right of conquest. A human doesn't have the standing to be accused of Injury. Had you sought vengeance earlier there would be no objection but the human is now a thrall of house Mircalla and under our protection. I can see no grounds for you to object."

"This is outrageous!" said Matej, "I claim Insult."

"You've already claimed Injury Matej. This is getting tiresome," said Sophia.

"Not against the witch. Against your offspring," said Matej.

The room went quiet. All conversation ceased.

"On what grounds? Your honor has not been called into question," said Sophia.

"The honor of my entire house has been besmirched! This witch killed one of my blood and your childe heaps praise and honor upon her. Is the murder of my kin a game to her? Is our blood so worthless? It is a slap in the face to every Savon. I claim insult and I would see it answered."

Sophia looked to the court behind Carla, her face suddenly grave, "That is not standard grounds for Insult. Nikola, do you support your vassal's claim?"

Carla looked behind her and followed Sophia's gaze to a tall, thin vampire in a well cut coat and a shock of curly brown hair. He wore a fine coat and dark glasses, standing tall and rigid. He reminded Carla of a watchmaker. Everything about him spoke of precision and calculation.

"I do," said the thin vampire, Nikola. His voice was quiet and flat, "The claim has merit."

Sophia gave Gwen a long, cool stare, "I agree. The claim has merit," she said.

"Grandma!" said Gwen, sounding shocked.

Sophia ignored her, "Is there a second for this claim of Insult?" asked Sophia.

"I second," said a voice behind Carla. She turned and plain, scruffy vampire dressed in a shabby coat and baggy pants was addressing the throne. Then he turned to give Gwen a small smile.

Sophia turned to regard Gwen, "How will you respond?"

Gwen stared at her grandmother for a minute, uncomfortable for some reason Carla couldn't understand. But then she straightened and put a head on her sword, "I acknowledge the Insult and do not offer an apology. I offer bloodshed."

Carla realized this was a challenge for a duel. The mages of the guilds and the bravos of the nobility used similar language in their own challenges. Mage duels ended when one of the mages was exhausted or their will was broken. Carla was pretty sure a duel between vampires would have more permanent consequences. Carla looked at stout little Gwen with her dimples and her twinkling green eyes, and then at Matej, who was built like an avalanche with a face full of rage.

"Gwen, this is crazy," whispered Carla, "You don't need to do this."

"It'll be fine," whispered Gwen, "Matej is a pushover."

"You still need a second my dear," said Sophia, then she raised her voice, "is there a second?"

The room was silent. Now it was Gwen's turn to look embarrassed. She turned to look at one of the vampires in the crowd. She was a tall dark haired vampiress impeccably dressed in the latest court fashion and she too wore a sword. Gwen gave her a glare but she stared back, blank faced.

Gwen looked down and bit her lip, looking ashamed. There were snickers among the court.

The sight of Gwen looking ashamed filled Carla with a sudden burst of anger, "I'll second," she said. The words were out of her mouth before she even thought about them. Her voice sounded surprisingly strong to her own ears.

Matej snorted, "Humans can't act as seconds."

"I thought humans can't cause Injury. But you didn't have a problem claiming that," said Carla.

A round of laughter filled the room.

Carla glanced at Gwen and started. Gwen was looking at her with raw admiration. Carla blushed and looked away. She couldn't handle that kind of look from anyone for very long.

Sophia gave another throaty laugh, "I think under the circumstances I will allow it."

"This is ridiculous," said Matej.

"I will allow it," said the quiet voice of Nikola.

Sophia leaned forward and put her chin in her hand, looking over Gwen and Carla. Gwen was breathing hard, standing tall with a hand on her sword. Carla realized she was standing up straight too, with her hands clenched and her jaw tight, unconsciously ready to fight.

Sophia's eyes roamed between the two of them standing together. She made a quiet, close-mouthed chuckle. Her eyes moved to Gwen, "You are truly willing to die to have this girl?"

"I am, but I don't think that will be necessary," said Gwen.

"And if Matej declines the duel and his second takes his place? He's the same age as you," said Sophia.

Gwen shrugged.

Sophia shook her head slightly, "Ah, arrogance. Arrogance has its place, but passion and arrogance are a dangerous combination."

"Maybe I just know my worth," said Gwen, glancing at Carla with a half smile.

Sophia leaned back, reclining slightly on her throne, "Your new thrall knows her power but understands fear. Fear clings to her like a shroud. You do not fear because you have nothing to lose. Have you ever sired, Gwen?"

Gwen looked astonished, "What?"

"Have you ever had a childe?"

"No. You know I haven't."

"Very unusual. Most of the blooded your age have at least requested the right to sire. And most with your accomplishments and strength have been granted the request."

"I prefer not to be tied down."

"Exactly, the one thing you fear is responsibility."

"I wouldn't put it like that."

"Of course you wouldn't. You sire no children. Win lands for me you refuse to hold, have no allies in court to act as your second, no thralls bound to you until this girl captured your eye. Despite your power and the pedigree of your blood you remain a simple knight in my service. You have avoided the responsibilities of your blood. Nothing ties you down so you feel you have nothing to lose. It makes you reckless."

Gwen's voice was tight and angry, "We wouldn't be in this room if it wasn't for me. I broke the east wall."

There was an angry mutter in the room.

"I do not forgive you this foolish exaggeration because it is another symptom of your failings," said Sophia. Her anger was a frigid undercurrent, "There is no doubt you are a fierce warrior. But our blood is not just the blood of warriors. It is the blood of rulers. It is time for you to live up to that legacy."

Sophia turned to regard Matej, "I offer remuneration for my grandsire's Insult. I offer your house the hamlet of Lilyford, to support new progeny with blood and soil so that you may replace what you have lost."

Matej's face twisted with anger once again but then there was the sound of a throat clearing. It sounded very loud in the tense quiet of the room. Matej glanced behind Carla and Carla followed the gaze to Nikola. Nikola raised an eyebrow at Matej.

Matej turned back to Sophia, his face blank with tightly controlled anger, "I accept," he said.

"Carla."

Carla turned back to find the gaze of the Sophia Mircalla drilling into her.

"I welcome you into my house. I have every confidence you will serve me well."

Carla nodded, bewildered, "Thank you, your highness," she had no idea what was going on.

"Gwen, my headstrong grandchilde. As head of our house, I charge you to blood your new thrall by sunrise."

"What?" said Gwen and Carla, simultaneously.

"She has proven her worth to me. I will grant her the honor of our blood. To strengthen her so she may strengthen us in turn."

Carla began to disassociate. The only thing preventing her from panicking was the need to look strong in this room of monsters. Gwen had promised her a way out. A chance to survive this living nightmare. But it was all for nothing. There was no escape. She was going to join the ranks of the horrors surrounding her. All because she was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Because of Gwen's pride and Sophia's cruelty.

"No," said Gwen.

Sophia let the silence hang for a moment, "No?"

"No I won't do it. You can't make me do this," said Gwen. Her fangs had extended just the slightest bit past her lips.

Sophia's eyes darkened but before she could respond the was the sound of someone clearing their throat and Sophia's gaze turned behind them.

"Your highness," said Nikola. His quiet voice was quiet but somehow still easy to hear. It felt like he was standing right behind Carla, whispering in her ear.

Sophia inclined her head in acknowledgment.

"If your grandchilde prefers to reject your generous offer perhaps we could have the thrall as a small addition to my house's remuneration? I know it is unusual to acquire and divest a thrall so quickly, but perhaps given the circumstances it would be appropriate," said Nikola.

"I offered this girl my blood. To treat her as cattle would be an Insult,`said Sophia.

"Of course, of course. No Insult is intended," said Nikola, "If your grandchild is unwilling to obey your commands the thrall could join my house instead. She has proven her worth to me as well."

"You would blood one you wish to punish?"

Nikola turned his gaze to Carla. His eyes were completely black.

"The two are not mutually exclusive. Immortality creates the opportunity for endless suffering."

Sophia gave Nikola a thin smile, "Very well put. Very well."

She turned back to Gwen, "You will obey my command ere the sun rises or you will hand over your thrall to Matej come the following midnight. You are dismissed."

"Grandmother, please..." Gwen sounded near tears.

"Go," said Sophia.

The single word reverberated with power. Gwen stiffened and without another word turned and began walking out of the room. Her movements were stiff and she clearly wasn't moving of her own volition. Carla had no choice but to follow.

Gwen didn't say a word as she walked down the carpeted aisle of the throne room. Around her, the court tittered and whispered. The tone of the whispering was odd. It had shifted subtly. With a chill Carla realized there was a ribald edge to it, like the vampires were whispering about whether a husband could perform on his wedding night. Carla tried to control her breathing as she hurried after Gwen. As soon as Gwen left the throne her walk became natural again and she started moving even faster. Carla had to jog to stay with her. Then she had to run. Carla lost sight of Gwen as she turned the corner to Gwen's bedroom. Gwen had left the door ajar.