Bottle Kill Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Was Chief Gleason dirty?" asked Chief Moynahan.

"Not really." said Griswold. "He never gave me, Charles Leslie, and Joe Smedley any real trouble, until Smedley began getting too many Purple Orders. But it would also be fair to say that he was an (air quotes) 'enabler' of Malone and Ikea, and if he knew about Westboro, the Consultant of Crime, he made damn sure to be looking the other way about that. And yes, Crowbar, he would have allowed Malone to cover up this Planned Parenthood death up. Unlike you, he was scared shitless of politicians."

I said "Mary, did you find anything like a lawsuit Marty McMillan might have filed?"

"If I may, sir." Teresa interjected. When we all nodded, she said "You know what Captain Malone could be like... you, Don, were one of the very few men on this earth that he could not intimidate, and it wasn't for lack of trying. I can imagine him sitting Marty McMillan down and 'persuasively' offering him the carrot of a substantial settlement on Planned Parenthood's behalf, but also displaying the stick that it would be to McMillan's benefit to take that settlement and not make waves."

"Okay, then." I said. "It'll be painful, but we will have to talk to Marty McMillan about this. He's at the Molecular Biology Conference now. Should we pull him out of it?"

"Sir," Captain Michaels said, "This is a tragic event, but it may have no bearing on the Boone case. McMillan is ankle monitored, and if you have eyes on him at the reception tonight, we can pick him up later, even tonight after their Banquet, and you can be there to interview him yourself."

"Nooooo, that will not dooooo." drawled Chief Moynahan. "We need to pick him up right awayyyyy. Mister Crowbarrrr, you may have to... Commander?"

I was in what everyone calls a full-blown reverie. I was staring sightlessly at the table as my mind raced like drag racing engine, going nowhere but tearing itself to pieces. I barely heard Teresa say "He's onto something, sir."

When I came out of it, I said "Sir, let's let him attend the reception and the Banquet. I'll be there, Teresa will be there. And while we have eyes on him, there's something that Captain Michaels's MCD Detectives can do..."

Part 13 - Twice the Rye

6:00pm, Wednesday, February 10th. My wife Laura and I entered the University President's home, followed by Todd Burke and his wife Teresa Croyle.

The butler announced us semi-formally: "Commander Donald Troy and Dr. Laura Fredricson." As we went inside, I heard him announce "Mr. and Mrs. Todd Burke."

"What, no 'Commander and Mrs. Donald Troy', like he usually announces us?" I asked, which was the 'old school' way of doing things.

Laura replied "Times are changing, and people are changing with the times. Since I'm a Department Head, and since I kept my surname when we married, we're being announced that way. And now that Sidney is a lame duck University President, the old school ways will further disappear."

Laura was the Head of the University's Department of Psychology, and she was also a medical doctor and on Staff at University Hospital as a gynecologist and surgeon. She was also nationally renowned as an expert of sexual psychology. And, of course, she had retired as a Deputy Director of the CIA's Directorate of Science and Technology.

Dr. Sidney P. Wellman was the University President. After being embroiled in a ginned-up scandal, he had agreed to step down at the end of the semester in May. I saw him and his wife Sally Wellman greeting guests, and Laura and I got into the line, with Todd and Teresa right behind us.

"The Wellmans look much better than the last time I saw them." I said. "Much healthier."

"Yes, since he made the deal to leave in May, much of the stress has left them both." Laura said. (Author's note: 'Angels of Christmas', Ch. 02.)

We got up to the Wellmans and were greeted by them. Sally Wellman, renowned as a hostess of these type events, surprised us by saying "I'm not making introductions or presentations tonight. This is all Biology Conference."

A few moments later, Councilman Edward R. Steele and his wife, Astronomy Professor Stephanie Steele came in. Their adopted daughter Marie was our daughter Carole's best friend. After going through the reception line, they came over to us.

"All of us professors of the Sciences were invited, and I was actually curious to come visit." Stephanie said as explanation for why they were in attendance.

Laura said "I was invited as a Department Head, and Don and I are not planning to stay for the Banquet... are we, darling?"

"Only if you want to, dear." I replied. "Ah, here's Adriana Rodriguez."

"Hello everyone." said Adriana. "This is my friend and colleague, Dr. Nick Prometheus." Nick Prometheus was much, much younger than I had envisioned of such an accomplished molecular biologist. And their relationship was more than just professional, if I did not miss my guess. And I rarely do.

I introduced them to Laura, Edward, and Stephanie, and told them that Adriana was Julia's cousin. As everyone chatted, I noticed that Marty McMillan was in attendance. He and an older and much shorter man were talking to Todd and Teresa.

"Let's make our way over there." I said to Laura. We excused ourselves from everyone else and headed towards my target group.

"Ah, there you are." said Todd enthusiastically as Laura and I came up. "Uncle Don, this is Dr. Chapman, CEO of SynGen BioSciences. Dr. Chapman, this is my Uncle, Don Troy, and his wife, Dr. Laura Fredricson. And you know Mr. Marty McMillan already."

"Yes, I do." I said, shaking hands firmly with Dr. Chapman and a bit more perfunctorily with McMillan.

"If you'll excuse me a moment," said McMillan, "I see someone I need to say hello to." He left quickly towards another group of people, obviously wanting to get away from me.

"So you're the Iron Crowbar." said Dr. Chapman as he looked up at me, surprising me. "I've followed your cases for years, and I'm very glad to meet you."

"That's very kind of you." I said. "Are you here for the Conference?"

Dr. Chapman replied "No, just the dinner. I drove over today after speaking to Mr. Burke on the phone, to discuss SynGen Biosciences's future projects."

"And they sound exciting." said Todd. "We'll be in talks about BOW Enterprises investing with them."

"Good." I said. "It sounds like a good opportunity for both of you."

"Yes." said Dr. Chapman. "And I do regret not coming to the full conference. I was just telling Mr. Burke about the one I spoke at in Westphalia, south of The City. I guess it was nine years ago, or so..."

Time slowed down.

I felt like the tumblers of a lock and just crashed in my head. Suddenly, everything was falling into place...

As I came out of it, I realized that Dr. Chapman had stopped speaking. I said "I'm sorry, sir, did I hear that correctly? That there was a Molecular Biology Conference in Westphalia? Nine years ago?"

"Why, yes." said Dr. Chapman. "It was the last time a Biology Conference of this magnitude was in this State."

I smiled wanly and said "It's been very good to meet you, sir. Todd, would you and Laura watch over each other, while Commander Croyle and I take care of some professional business? Our profession?"

Todd and Laura agreed, and Teresa and I excused ourselves and made our way toward the side entrance. "What is it?" Teresa asked.

"Hold on one second." I said as I fished out my Police iPhone. I dialed a number. "Claire? Yes, did you get the warrant?"

"No sir." said Claire Michaels. "Judge Doss wanted more than what we've got." Judge Hannah Doss was the Magistrate Court judge.

"I have that." I said. "I'll call Judge Doss now. Send two Detectives not named 'Julia Rodriguez' to pick up the warrant at the Courthouse and meet me at the location..."

After disconnecting, I said "All right, let's go." I said. Teresa followed me out the door, but of course was more than curious about what was going on.

"Where to?" she asked. "What's going on?"

"If I'm right," I replied, "we're about to solve the hatred of a good bottle of Rye whiskey... and crack our 'Bottle Kill' murders, pun not intended..."

To be continued.

Dear Readers, you have the clues. Who murdered 'Tex' Boone and Tiffany Westgate? And why? The solution and a lot more in the next chapter... same Rye time, same Rye channel!