Brides of War - Ch. 06

Story Info
A storage room comes in real handy between shifts.
2.8k words
4.72
3.1k
3
0

Part 6 of the 7 part series

Updated 06/11/2023
Created 02/26/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Chapter Six of Brides of War

The Ark of Wanel shook heavily as it was battered about within the magnetic storm. Half a dozen screens within the control room had gone completely loopy.

Several alarms began going off and at about that point junior officers started giving me looks of extreme doubtfulness to which I calmly responded, "Maintain heading."

"But the reactors are being negatively charged by the magnetic flux Sir!"

"I can see that, but they're still within normal operating range. Hold our output steady."

"Yes Sir."

Visibly order began to come over those within the control room as they all realized my dedication to moving forward into the unknown no matter what the cost might be. An officer from the battle section arrays approached and gaining my attention he pointed to a screen in his hand and said, "Sir, I think running cloaked is causing a detrimental drag to occur with these magnetic vortexes that we're channeling through. See how it spikes on the graph when the cloaking array re-resonates with the base frequency of the ship. If we cut power to the cloak, then the energy coefficient will return to a more positive ion exchange and we may gain some positive charge back into the reactors."

I scanned over the handheld screen he had indicated as the Ark was jolted about as even more alarms went off from other parts of the ship. The ship was taking a beating, and there was a very real question of how much longer it would hold together given the current detrimental load.

Something needed to change fast if there was to be any real possibility that we were going to get through to a better future, if even such a thing existed out here in this unknown land that we were flying blindly into. We needed this ship not just for the voyage, but also for what came after.

We had no warehouses to repair the systems becoming increasingly damaged. We were tasked with restarting over as a culture and to do that taking risks was simply going to be a part of the daily survival game at times.

Meeting the Executive Officer's eyes, I quickly assented to the junior officer's plan. He quickly responded with, "We have no idea what that might do. We might become visible on enemy radars even in this magnetic soup."

"It would seem that we have no choice. Hopefully we'll look like an anomaly and nothing more serious than that which would warrant an investigation. Now take us out of stealth mode."

With an audible purring noise the stealth arrays retracted into the hull of the ship and once more we became visible to the world of radars. Thankfully here in the magnetic clouds of the north there was no one to see us, and it was doubtful that radar would even reveal us as a clear contact.

"Monitor all communication lines. See if you can pick up on any uptick in the action."

Tense minutes went by even as the junior officer's recommendation for restoring positive energy to the reactors by turning off the cloaking array was confirmed. The Telecommunications Officer broke the silence, "All communications are a fried jumble Sir. I can't make out anything."

"Let's hope their radar is in the same predicament."

The ship was indeed now gliding much smoother through the magnetic stream that surrounded us. Emergency crews had the one reactor that was malfunctioning the most patched and as I watched the dial I saw it go from yellow back into the green.

Turning I patted the gunnery officer on the shoulder encouragingly, "Good suggestion Lieut."

"Only if they don't see us Sir."

"Maybe so, but the important thing in the moment is that we're managing the strain to the ship where before we were not. Little else matters right now."

The hours passed by then and I remained in place not wanting to take my hand off the situation as it was, which despite some positives remained dire overall. In fatigued ponderings I remained in my chair in contemplation of scenario after scenario to the point where I forced myself to give up on doing so for the sake of my sanity.

Fighting against tiredness I focused on taking in the new realities of what before this moment had been the great unknown to my knowledge in that no one had ever ventured into the magnetic storms of the North as far as we had done so already. Most likely the reason for this was that no one had a death wish.

These were desperate times though, and we had nowhere else to go. The worrying thought that we would find no land and all that we would basically end up doing would be to continually wander, until one day we crashed out of the sky, came to haunt me again as it had for days on end.

My solution remained the same. I gave up my worries to God, even as I trusted the instinct that kept telling me to go north.

Sensing something I opened my eyes to find Alora standing there. She had a cup of coffee for which I thanked her.

She smiled, but made no effort to engage me in conversation. She knew I was busy and quietly she left as unobtrusively as she had come.

*********

Conditions beyond the hull remained harsh for the next two days. Even though the Ark was drafting through the stream better without the cloaking array switched on the magnetic storms were having an effect on almost everything.

Emergency crews no sooner fixed one problem before two more would pop up. We had fixed so many subsystems already that we were beginning to run out of spare parts.

Rubbing at my gritty eyes, I paced back and forth as tensions ran high throughout the ship's beleaguered repair crews and wearied on-duty staff. Right now both shifts were active as they had been for the last two days.

The Ark was fighting for its life and we were fighting as one to hold the Ark together. It was abundantly clear that no lesser built ship would have survived this journey to this point, which gave me solace in terms of questioning whether or not we would be followed.

That was little comfort, though if the situation did not improve soon. The real question was just how much more could the Ark take?

As the day wore on, or was it night, conditions worsened as we were held gripped by the most severe electrical mishmash of cross polymer winds that we had ever registered yet. Truly, I feared that we had come too far now to even make our way back out.

We were one or two backup systems away from the complete failure of the main drive. As it was we were diverting power from everywhere just to keep the drives, cooling systems functioning at maximum capacity.

Without the main coolant systems functioning at full capacity we would've melted apart at the seams a day ago, but without that power being utilized elsewhere in the ship the temperature was nearly freezing the farther away you got from the reactors.

There wasn't much farther we were going to be able to make it and I let God knows that. I waited in expectation of reproof, but instead I got the voice of my telemetry officer speaking, instead, "Sir I'm showing a weakening in the stream. I recommend we alter course four points to the West."

"Do it!" I said, as I came up behind him to gaze at what he had noticed.

The appearance of a bubbled out like area on his screen was a relief in that it was at least something that looked different from the swirling madness that we had been tacking through for days on end. The constant tremoring of the ship had indeed gone down a notch.

Then, within moments we were in the bubble, which is what it seemed to be. Atmospheric levels turned almost normal and the lights in the ship got brighter as they got more power with less systems robbing from the overall supply.

The telemetry officer pointed, "Look here and here Sir."

"Yes, I see it." There were more bubbled off enclosures to the North and at the farthest range of detection there seemed to be a clearing off of the winds in general. With exhausted exclamations of excitement the crew within the control room crowded around.

Making my way out of the huddle I called out for order, "Alright now, back to your stations."

Quickly they obeyed as I gave the order for a full stop of all reactor drives. Quickly the orders were relayed and the ship came to a halt.

Clicking the ship's intercom on I made a statement to the general population of the Ark of Wanel, "This is the Captain speaking. We have entered an enclosure within the storm that has normal atmosphere, but with no land masses detected. However, we needed this break and there are more such pockets to the north of us. In 12 hours we will power up once more and bubble hop between these low pressure zones and God willing there will be more of them along the way with land at the end of the journey. Something most definitely we should all be praying for. In the meantime, we need to continue with repairs and get rested for whatever may lay ahead. Except for essential personnel I'm ordering a six hour break for everyone before we get back to repairing damaged systems. I repeat that we are currently in no danger and the outlook for getting out of these magnetic storms looks to be highly likely in the next day or so. Thank you all for your efforts for without them we would not still be here."

Despite the general weariness the crew was affected by they all began to filter out of the control room and towards the rest the ship with an upbeat mood where before we had all been living under the grimmest of circumstances. Only essential crew remained within the control room of which Sally was one.

She came up beside me and insistently said, "You need to sleep Captain!"

"Yes ma'am, I do." I said, not denying it in the least.

Staggering away, I made my way along after the others. I'd been awake longer than most, but then I was responsible for everyone so it made sense.

Now with the pressure off I found myself almost incapable of normal movement as I clumsily made my way along the hall praying within the still rational operating parts of my brain that no one would notice my drunken looking meander. I crashed into a wall clumsily, which helped to wake me up slightly for a moment and give me my bearings.

In some ways I couldn't remember ever being this tired. It was a miracle that I found my cabin as the world of hallways had become quite blurry as all the attention for days on end at looking at screens had robbed my eyes of the ability to focus.

Fumbling, I got the door open and not bothering to close it, I staggered across the room and fell across the bed. In some part of my mind came the thought that I'd been sleepwalking the whole time, but now it didn't matter. Now I could just go blank.

*********

Talia was the only one in the room. She like everyone the past several days on board had thought she was going to die. They hadn't though, and a lot of it was because of the leadership of this man that now lay snoring loudly sprawled across his bed.

Slowly she moved forward to the bed. Careful as to not to disturb him she lifted his legs that were hanging over the side so that they lay on the bed instead.

Grasping his boots she pulled them off one after the other. Then taking a blanket she covered him up as there was still a deep chill about the ship away from the more populated working areas.

Staring down at the unconscious man she debated about what else to do for a long moment. They all owed him a debt of gratitude to be sure.

The future while it remained quite uncertain was in Talia's opinion, one much better faced with this man being in charge. She turned away from the bed and abruptly gasped as she took in the sight of Alora standing in the open doorway of the cabin.

Alora smiled brightly even as Talia felt herself blush hotly.

"That was very nice of you Talia."

Coming close Alora looked upward into the much taller woman's eyes and said, "I take it that you've made a decision to stay with the Captain."

Slowly Talia nodded.

"Well then I'd say you know what you should do."

Talia blinked and looked at Alora uncertainly. "I... what would that be?"

Alora gazed deeply into her eyes and said with matter-of-fact bluntness, "It's the third day and our Master shouldn't be alone even as he sleeps. When he wakes up, he deserves to have a wife at the ready and we both know who that woman should be."

Talia swallowed and opened her mouth, only no words came out. Like it or not the smaller woman was right.

She looked away and as she did, she felt Alora's fingers begin undoing the buttons of her dress. Talia closed her eyes as she heard Alora gasp.

Her tattered dress now fallen at her feet, she felt the touch of Alora's finger as she drug it across one of the scars on her back. "Talia.... I...."

"It's okay." Talia said stoically.

"No, it most definitely is not!" Alora said fiercely as she came back around to look up at her.

Talia looked down at her with amusement. Subconsciously then her arms started to rise to cover her large breasts, but Alora's slim hands stopped them.

The trace work of scars brought on by a whip had left their marks curling around her sides, but Talia's front was unmarred by any scar. Alora took her in frankly and with a serious note said, "You're beautiful."

"I..."

"No, you're beautiful! Say it." Alora insisted.

"I'm beautiful." Talia muttered out.

Alora nodded and then said, "You know that he'll never do anything like that to you, right?"

Talia nodded.

Alora smiled and said, "He's going to really like you."

Self-consciously Talia said as she shifted from one foot to the other, "He likes you, not me."

Alora spoke with definition, "He likes all of us. No doubt he will have his preferences among us, but I think you will find his passion to please all of us as a constant that we can all rely upon. He's a good man and each of us, we need that."

Alora stepped back then and going to the door she started to go through it.

"Alora?"

"Yes?"

"Thank you."

Alora smiled and said, "My pleasure."

She left then closing the door and with trepidation like never before felt Talia turned back to the man on the bed. When he wakened she would become his. She would not fight him.

Going to the far side of the bed she lay down under the covers. Slowly she eased back until she was close to him.

Truly, she was very tired herself. She'd spent 10 hours with a crew fixing sealant leaks and it had not been easy work.

Her eyes had just drifted shut when she felt him shift on the bed. Suddenly he was pressed up against her from head to toe.

A hand eased over her widely curved hip and softly gripped into the soft skin of her thigh. His hand spread wide reflexively as if liking what it had found.

He was still asleep of that she was certain, but it was hard to believe how as it seemed his hand had a mind of its own to explore. It stroked its way across and up over her belly and then took her breath away as it hotly encased itself around one of her large breasts.

There his hand stayed even as it gently squeezed what it held. She heard him sigh contentedly against her hair even as his breath ruffled across her skin near her ear.

His grasp on her breast remained steady as she lay there quietly allowing his silent possession of her body. Talia admitted to herself once and for all the reality of wanting to become this man's woman.

Never had she felt security like this when in the presence of a man like she did now. It was like the very presence of him surrounded her ambiently like a force for good and not evil.

Softly Talia relaxed and let herself drift off into sleep oddly content with the feel of one of her breasts being held captive. The hand holding her flesh literally seemed delighted at the feeling of how soft and ebulliently full her chest was.