Broadway Betrayal

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Can I have some water?"

Dr Miles passed Tony the glass and he gulped some water before looking up.

"Don't you dare apologise to me again," Dr Miles said in a fake mad voice, actually making Tony laugh a little.

"Okay then. Thank you."

"You're welcome."

Tony looked at Ty and just nodded.

"Come on then," Ty said, taking the paperwork from Dr Miles and scanning it. "Fifth floor, main reception?"

"Yes, you're expected. I'll call and update them." Dr Miles shook Ty's hand again. Tony seemed too delicate so he just softly patted his arm. "I'll see you both in a few days. We'll be in touch with timings."

Ty nodded and led Tony out, where Dr Miles' clinic nurse was waiting to take them down to the cab.

Tony just fell into Ty's arms in the cab. Ty pulled him in and texted quickly behind his back. There were hours before curtain up. Plenty of time for Polly to notify everyone.

'Polls. Can't say much. Pls don't ask. Tony sick. Needs tests now. Can't wait. Going to MSK. Dr says no work b4 sat eve. Maybe longer. It's bad. Will talk later. Pls sort understudy & tell I will explain asap.'

Fifteen minutes later his phone buzzed with a reply. 'Spoke with Francesca. She said no rush. All okay here. I love you both.'

He could always rely on Polly. She would be freaking out, but wouldn't push. Francesca was the stage manager and remained calm always.

He kissed Tony's hair. "Everything's okay at the theater. Francesca knows. She's fine."

Tony pushed up out of Ty's lap. He wiped his face and sniffed, "What am I going to do?"

Ty pulled him closer and kissed him, so softly Tony could hardly feel his lips. "You're going to get out of this cab and we're going to find the main reception on the fifth floor."

"That's all huh? It is over then?"

"That's all you need to worry about right now, because I'm going to worry about the next step," Ty told him.

Tony sighed as they pulled up at the hospital. "Okay."

-X

Dr Rodriguez-Pedersen was a fireball of energy.

In contrast to her name, her accent was pure Downton Abbey. She just about scrapped 5 ft 2, was in her 50's and was possibly Chinese.

"Tony," she bounced over and grabbed his hand. "I'm so sorry to meet in these circumstances, but thank you for coming so quickly." She turned to Ty. "You must be Ty."

"Yes, Hi," he said finding his hand squeezed in a shockingly strong grip.

"Hello. Come this way." Taking Tony's arm she led them down a corridor. "I'm not going to ask how you're feeling because I know you must be devastated and frightened. I try not to ask my patient's stupid questions. It makes me look like a dimwit and it's bloody annoying for them."

To his shock, Ty found himself smiling when Tony sent a wide eyed glance over his shoulder. The lady might have little legs but she moved fast. Ty hustled to keep up.

"I'm going to take terrible advantage of you though. I do hope you won't be offended," she continued, as they turned into what was obviously her office.

"Um," was all Tony managed as she indicated a seat.

Ty sat as well, at her direction, and she perched on the desk rather than take a seat behind it.

She observed them for a moment. Then. "Right. The two of you are clearly still in shock so I'll go first. My name is Dr Yan Mildred Rodriguez-Pedersen. Yes I know, it's a terrible mish mash. Confuses everyone. I'm Vietnamese by birth, raised in the UK. Milton Keynes. I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a roundabout fetish. Do you know what a roundabout is?"

They both shook their heads.

"Never mind. I'm sure you have some, but no one uses proper terminology here. I've been in the US since I was twenty-one. I'm bloody well not losing my accent. I've worked as a specialist doctor at MSK since 2001. My career prior to that was extraordinary, but I won't dazzle you with it. I have one husband, three children, two cats and a dog. I like baseball and proper football. Occasionally I like my children. Any questions?"

"Hundreds," Tony managed. "I just can't think of any right now."

Ty snorted with laughter and Dr Rodriguez-Pedersen smiled in delight. Tony looked slightly shocked at himself, but then smiled.

"We're going to get along splendidly," she said, patting Tony's knee.

"Actually, Dr Rodriguez-Pedersen. I have a question," Ty started.

"Sorry, should have said. Everyone calls me Dr Yan. Saves time."

"Oh, great. Great," he repeated with feeling, making her laugh. "I was thinking, in the cab. Is Tony going to be covered okay for this? I mean his cover is via my employer, but he has his own, through work."

Dr Yan glanced over some paperwork. "You're an actor/dancer?" she asked Tony.

"Yes."

"Do you need to phone anyone? You won't be able to dance for at least three days."

"I've let them know," Ty confirmed. "Dr Miles said hopefully Tony can go back for the Saturday evening.

She nodded. "Good. Perfect. Should be fine. Best to carry on as normal as possible for now." She scribbled something on the paperwork and then looked back at them.

"In answer to your question, Ty. No. Stick with Engagement's cover. It's gold. Actually it's platinum. Hence why these tests are happening through this afternoon and evening and not next week."

She looked between them. "How do you prefer to refer to each other. Life partner's? Boyfriends?"

Tony looked at Ty a question in his eyes.

"We're getting married," Ty declared. Then glared at Tony as if daring him to dispute it.

Dr Yan passed Tony a tissue as the tears started.

"We were going to be married," he sobbed. "Oh God."

"Life partner is fine for the paperwork," Ty said, and then again crouched in front of Tony. "And we are getting married." He silenced Tony's reply with a hard kiss.

When he sat back in his chair, leaving Tony looking at him in shock, the doctor winked at him. "I like your attitude, Ty. That's what we need."

She then focused on Tony again. "We are going to rather bombard you with tests today. Probably some of them will be repeats of what Dr Miles has already done, so apologizes for that. I'm going to ask if you would be willing for us to set aside information for research purposes. I'm not asking you to make a decision about that today, but I'm hoping you will let me gather the data and we will have a proper conversation about what I would plan to do with it once your brain is back in gear. Is that okay? I'll beg if it helps."

"No it's fine if it helps you. I don't mind."

Ty raised his hand. "This is going to seem like an insensitive question."

"Stop right there, Ty. There is no such thing as insensitive between us. If we are going on a journey together you both ask what you need to know. You can be damn sure I'll be doing the same."

"It's just you seem a little excited. Not that Tony's sick, I don't mean that." Ty sighed as Tony looked at him in horror. "I don't know how to explain."

"Don't worry, I understand. As it happens I'm always like this. Drives my husband crazy. He teaches yoga, the original zen-man, can you believe?" She grinned as Ty clearly found this hard to believe.

"I do understand what you are getting at. I hate anybody being sick and if I could cure all cancers tomorrow and put myself out of a job, I would be thrilled. However, I'm not going to lie. If Tony has what we think he has, it's rare, and every opportunity to study it brings us a step closer."

"To putting yourself out of a job?" Tony asked.

"Exactly."

"If it helps, you can have whatever you need," Tony confirmed.

"Good man." Dr Yan stopped at a knock on the door, "Come in. Ah, Catherine, wonderful."

A young female nurse came in and smiled at Tony and Ty, reaching for Tony's hand. "Mr Thomas, I'm Catherine, it's good to meet you. I'm going to be guiding you through some tests." She held out her hand to Ty. "Mr Maka, hello."

Ty stood to shake, realizing that this familiarity with who they were was engineered to make it as easy as possible for people who were basically going through hell.

"Ty and Tony is fine. Hi, Catherine."

"Wonderful. Dr Yan, am I okay to get started? Radiology are waiting."

"Blast. Why did they have to be on time when I'm not," Dr Yan looked at Tony who was looking worried. "In answer to the question you're about to ask. Yes, Ty can go with you for some of the tests, but not these. Catherine is going to take you for some scans. Now, of course Ty could stand in the corridor looking suave and handsome, but it's a far better use of his time for me to get started on the paperwork with him here."

She moved and crouched down to Tony's level. "We're going to be good friends, Tony. So I'm asking you to skip the get to know each other and trust me straight away. Can you do that?"

"How long will I be?"

"A couple of hours," Catherine told him kindly. "I'll get you back to Ty as soon as I can."

Ty caught Dr Yan giving him the 'look'. He pushed down his own concerns. Guessing it was up to him to be the strong one again.

"Come on," he stood and pulled Tony to his feet. "You know about scans even if you've never had one, I can't come with you. Let me help Dr Yan here and I'll see you soon."

Tony blinked and dragged in a shaky breath. Placing his hand in Catherine's almost like a kid. Ty's heart broke a little. He looked so shocked and scared and vulnerable.

"Hey," he called softly, and pulled Tony back for a soft, brief kiss. "I love you. I'm right here."

Tony leaned into his neck but then stood back, a deeper breath this time. "I love you. So much. I'll see you in a bit."

Two hours passed quickly, although Ty's head was pounding until Dr Yan fetched him some painkillers.

They went through Tony's medical history, family history, contacts, form after form.

Dr Yan explained the scans that Tony was having and that they would take more bloods, some of which would repeat tests that Dr Miles had already done.

"He's going to go home feeling like a battered pincushion, I'm afraid," she told him. And then explained how to look after the biopsy site.

Paperwork done, apart from things for Tony to sign, they chatted about other things while sharing a sandwich. She, like Dr Miles, would not be drawn on a more detailed prognosis before the tests results were in.

By the time her phone rang, it was 8pm and Ty realized with relief she was not only a lovely (if slightly nuts) person, but was also very good at her job.

It was hard to concentrate on panicking while discussing ancestor worship, or whether the Yankees had paid too much for their new shortstop.

"Hello, Catherine," she listened for a moment and then frowned. "Well it's no problem, we'll come down now, but it's not usually needed. Never mind, we're on our way."

"Problem?" Ty asked, as they left the office at her normal speed. Which appeared to be warp-speed.

"No, just odd. Catherine asked if you could chaperone Tony for an exam. It's fine, I just thought with his job he would have been happy for her to chaperone. Performers aren't usually shy."

"He is, a bit," Ty admitted.

"How long have you been together?"

"Eight years now. Tony was only nineteen when we met. He finished college young because he's in one of those weird age bracket things."

"Like born a day later he would have been a year behind and graduated when he was twenty?"

"Pretty much."

"Hmm, my son's the same. It's tough. He's a little shy as well."

They knocked and entered a clinic room where Tony was sat on an examination couch in a hospital gown.

Ty walked over and kissed him. He could see the need in Tony's face for contact and reassurance. "How do you make that outfit look sexy?"

Tony laughed a little and blushed, but didn't let go of his hand.

A male nurse had joined the group and came over now with some vials. Ty assumed they were blood specimens.

"I'm going to take these down to the lab, Dr Yan. I'll grab whoever's handy and be back to assist with the biopsy shortly."

"Oh," Yan seemed confused. "I thought Ty was chaperoning you performing the prostate exam?"

"Ty is chaperoning me doing the exam," Catherine explained.

"I didn't think it was appropriate for me to do it," the young man said.

"We know each other," Tony said quietly. "Craig's come to see me in all my shows, he's my best ever fan." Craig beamed at the statement.

"Oh I see." Dr Yan nodded at the young nurse. "Thank you for that, Craig. That's a good call."

He smiled, "I'll be back soon." Giving Tony's shoulder a quick reassuring squeeze and a nod to Ty, he left.

"Why don't you come this way, Ty," Catherine motioned him around the couch. "Tony, lie on your side for me." Ty moved and sat holding Tony's hands in his. His thumb rubbing the inside of Tony's wrist.

"You doing okay?"

"I'm a mess, Ty."

"It's allowed," Ty reached and pushed Tony's hair back softly. "We're going to get through this."

Dr Yan was to one side, preparing some equipment, and keeping an eye on things. "Are you happy for Craig to assist this evening? It's not an issue if not."

Tony shook his head. "It's fine, Dr Yan. I know for a fact that Craig's seen all there is to see. I had a wardrobe malfunction during a benefit once. He was kind enough to get some of his pictures printed for me," he added sarcastically.

"Oh. THAT Craig," Ty said, with a grin.

"Just lift your right leg up for me. Oh, jeez, not quite that high, Tony," Catherine's eyes widened.

"You not auditioning for the Rockettes," Ty told him and Tony giggled.

"It's just that neither of us were comfortable with this," Tony continued. Then, "Whoa. Oh. Shoot." He hissed out a breath.

"Relax, Tony," Catherine said softly.

"Yea, and don't shoot. I'm sat right here," Ty added, causing all four of them to crack up.

"Jesus, Ty!" Tony was bright red.

Catherine, still chuckling, called over to Dr Yan. "All good here, nothing concerning." She slipped gently out, snapped off her glove, and pulled Tony's gown down to cover his butt. "Just relax there a moment." She joined Dr Yan and made some notes on Tony's file.

"If it helps," Ty said. "I've never noticed anything changed, or strange. You know with. Um. That."

"It's a bit different when you do it, Ty," Tony muttered.

Dr Yan grinned. "One would hope so, but yes, that's useful to know. Thank you, Ty." She added more notes.

Shortly afterwards there was a discreet knock on the door and Craig came back with another male nurse. This guy was taller than Ty.

Dr Yan came over to Tony and Ty. "Right. The last thing for today is the biopsy. As I've already explained I'm going to use a needle to take two samples from inside of the bone in your hip. You'll have a very small puncture wound. Ty has all the aftercare instructions."

"Can Ty stay with me?"

"He can sit over there. You'll be able to see him. But there's not room for him to stay right here and we need him over there to help prevent infection, I'm sorry Tony."

Tony nodded miserably.

"You're on your left side now. Is that normal for you?"

Another nod.

Dr Yan placed a hand on Tony's hip in reassurance. "It's not particularly pleasant, but it won't be painful as such. There may be some discomfort and it's a little strange. Craig and Henry will be holding you still for me. We will all be rather looming over you, I'm afraid. But we'll make sure you can see Ty at all times, okay?"

"Thank you," Tony sounded so scared, Ty wanted to pick him up and run.

Catherine placed a sheet over Tony's legs and lifted the gown. Exposing just his hip. He jumped a little when she cleaned the skin. "Sorry, it's a little cold."

Dr Yan moved around to the other side of Ty. "It's going to take approximately thirty to forty minutes. Ty can stay here while I start the sedation."

Tony allowed her to place his left arm, with the cannula, where she needed it. But gripped Ty's hand hard with his right.

"I'm right here, Baby," Ty told him. Having to force his voice past the fear that seemed to be blocking his throat.

He kept his eyes on Tony's. Watching the frown, then the blinking, then the slight haze as the sedation quickly took effect.

"Ty, we need you to move back now," Catherine said kindly.

He quickly pressed his lips to Tony's, then moved to the stool out of the way. Tony's eyes, although slightly blurry, didn't leave his.

They stayed locked as Craig and Henry moved in to hold him still. As Catherine monitored the readouts and held his free hand, murmuring encouragement.

Dr Yan moved behind Tony and Ty saw him flinch slightly, but his eyes stayed on Ty's.

The procedure continued and Tony seems to be trying to speak.

"Stay still, Tony," Catherine told him and leaned closer. "What's that?"

"I don't like it. I don't like this," Tony semi-slurred, sounding upset and Ty saw the nurses tighten their grip and Dr Yan wince sympathetically.

"I'm sorry, Tony. I'm nearly done."

"Is he in pain?" Ty demanded.

"No," Catherine told him. "But it's a horrible sensation and some people are more aware than others. You're doing so well, Tony," she added.

Ty felt helpless as he saw Tony's eyes fill and his lip tremble. Oh God. Why was this happening? Tony had never done anything to deserve this. He wanted to punch something.

"Okay. Done." Dr Yan stepped back and Tony was released, but Catherine reminded him to stay still.

Craig cleaned and dressed the small wound, and then Catherine motioned Ty over. "Here you go, Tony. You can have Ty back now. Just rest there a little."

Ty pulled Tony close to him and stroked his hair, kissed his cheek and murmured how awesomely fucking brave he was, as Tony let his head rest on Ty's arm and closed his eyes for a while.

After around twenty minutes the sedation started to wear off a little and Tony raised his head. "I'm so thirsty," he told Ty quietly, but Catherine heard.

"You can have some water now, Tony. Let's sit you up."

She adjusted the couch and gave Tony and Ty some water.

"Does it hurt?" Ty asked.

Tony shook his head. "I can't feel anything."

Dr Yan came over having finished preparing the sample and sending it off with Craig.

"Your hip will be numb for a while. But bloody sore for the next few days. Don't try and do too much too fast. As I said before, the sedation will hang around a little. So best to go home and sleep it off."

"But I can go to work on Saturday?" Tony asked, and Ty rolled his eyes.

"If you feel well enough. I trust that as someone who knows and respects his body as well as you do, you will be sensible."

"Oh, he will," Ty agreed in a warning tone.

Fifteen minutes later, both shell-shocked, they were back in a cab on their way home with strict instructions to rest and an appointment to meet on Friday for the results and to make plans.

Their hands were interlinked, but they were silent. What was there to say?

-X

Ty had been watching Tony sleep for over half an hour. Not thinking at all. Just shut down, when he saw his phone light up.

He sighed and reached for it. It was Frank. 'Can I come up? Or c u in the morning.'

Ty texted back. 'I'm just grabbing a shower. Tony sleeping. Let yourself in. Few mins.'

He dragged off his clothes, feeling about a hundred years old and quickly showered.

Still numb, he pulled on sweatpants and a T-shirt. Checked on Tony, still sleeping, and walked into the main room.

Frank was dressed similarly to him, on the couch, sipping from a bottle of water. He had clearly been waiting for them to get home. He just took one look at Ty and opened his arms.

Ty's stomach cramped in agony, his face crumpled and he staggered into Frank's arms. Half on the floor, half in Frank's lap. He felt the strong arms gripping him as he sobbed.

Frank didn't hush Ty, or rock him, or rub his back. He gave comfort by simply holding him tight and letting him cry it out.

He desperately wanted to know what was going on. Ty was shaking so hard with sobs, it was like he might break apart. Every breath shuddering in and out like despair. He just held on.