Broken and Bonded Ch. 01-02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic LiteroticaĀ® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Even though you are?" Iris asked softly.

"It will be mutually beneficial," Trudy insisted. "I have seen Laurie's designs and she will finish some of my buildings beautifully."

"She really is talented, isn't she?" Iris sighed wistfully.

"Yes, she got the talent -- but you got the brains child you got the brains!"

**

She pulled together the files and shoved them into her oversized bag; and then she left the little cottage that she called home and made the short journey to visit her youngest niece.

Laurie had been thrilled when Trudy phoned her; and eager for her to visit and catch up.

Trudy hailed the cruising taxi and ten minutes later she was riding the elevator up to Laurie's flat.

Laurie was standing at her door waiting for her and the two of them embraced affectionately.

"Michael has had to work late," Laurie told her as she led her through to her living room. "But he hopes to get back before you leave -- if only to say hello."

"That would be nice but not devastating if we miss each other." Trudy smiled carelessly.

Laurie poured them each a glass of wine and curled up at the other end of her small sofa so that she could talk comfortably to her aunt.

"So how have things been?" Trudy asked turning towards her.

Laurie sighed and a dreamy smile came to her face. "Wonderful," she whispered.

Trudy rolled her eyes; she never realised just how mushy love could make some people.

"That's very nice dear, but not very descriptive."

Laurie blinked and her lips curved ruefully as the colour came to her cheeks.

"What do you want to know?"

Trudy shrugged. "Well, I was very sorry to hear about your job, but Iris mentioned that you were going to go freelance; how's that going?"

"Oh that, well it's still very early days; I mean we only just got back to London a few days ago and Michael has been busy catching up with stuff he missed when we were all away."

"So, have you made any plans?"

"Well... I'm getting some business cards printed, I have an appointment with the bank on Thursday to set up a business account; and I have registered as self-employed with the tax office... I have also put a small ad in the business section of the local papers -- and their online issues; and I have been updating my portfolio with some new designs."

"Oh, my you really are getting organised!" Trudy said impressed.

Laurie looked a little sheepish. "At first I had no clue how to get started, and I started to get all flustered; but then, Michael made a couple of suggestions which started a conversation, and then things just seemed to follow a logical course."

"Yes, get the basics covered and sorted and then go for the business with gusto," Trudy approved.

"Thank you -- your support means a lot Aunt Trudy."

"Well now -- I hope to offer more than support actually."

"Oh?"

Trudy pulled the files out of her oversized handbag, and after handing them to her niece she picked up her wine glass and sipped it.

"I am hoping to hire you as interior designer and consultant on one of the properties that I have acquired."

Laurie's dark blue eyes lit up with excitement as she opened the file; and then she became engrossed in flicking through the photos of the property as her imagination took hold.

"That one is a four-story apartment block; it's been empty for a few years; and I have spent millions getting it repaired and renovated and now I would like you to go in and turn those apartments into homes for people.

"Oh, I say -- what a challenge!" she looked through the photos and then looked to her aunt. "Would you just want decorating or furnished throughout?"

"Fully furnished, I think. There are; one bedroom, two-, and three-bedroom apartments in the block; so, you can just sort of guess the possible tenants occupying them -- whether they might be single, a couple or even families; and furnish to suit their potential needs."

She wrote a figure on a piece of paper and handed it to her. "That is my budget for that project costs, but of course your fees will be on top, which I expect to be reflected in the hours you spend on it plus the value of any of your designs, don't rob yourself Laurie just because I am family."

"Thank you, Aunt Trudy; this is exactly the sort of project I can get my teeth into and get me off the ground."

"It solves my problem too, Laurie, and there are lots more potential projects, where that came from too."

Laurie's eyes welled up, and her lips quivered; but she blinked and smiled at her aunt, and then reached across to hug her.

"Now, we will consult once a week to start with; you can show me any designs and plans that you have come up with, and then we you are ready we can arrange for decorators and then furniture purchasing and so on; and I will want a bill for your hours spent each week too -- for the first month and then we can just go for a monthly invoice and perhaps just a notice of hours spent week to week."

"I know that you are trying to portray the hard businesswoman, Aunt Trudy; but I also know that this is a crash lesson on how I should schedule and invoice other future clients; you really are priceless to me!"

Trudy smiled a little sheepishly. "Sussed." she laughed. "I am sure that Michael has and will continue to give you lots of sensible advice -- but I had to give my two pennies worth too."

Laurie reached for a note pad and began to scribble notes, and so Trudy sat back with her wine and a happy sigh of mission accomplished.

"I really am sure that your business venture will soar, Laurie -- once your name gets out there."

"With you and Michael, and Iris and James all onside I can hardly fail." Laurie murmured huskily.

"Just you remember that, Laurie; we are all willing you to succeed, so don't bottle things up; if something doesn't turn out right; then talk to one of us -- even if it's just to have a little moan. We are all just a phone call away -- and Michael is closer than that even.

"I will, Aunt Trudy, I promise."

It was half past eight and there was still no sign of Michael as Trudy got up to leave.

"He has had to work till nine every night; but he says it won't be forever, just a few more days."

"He always was a very busy man with his fingers in a lot of different pies; but he is more than capable of setting everything right in his work."

Laurie stood waiting with her as the lift came up.

"By the way, Dad has invited us down next weekend, with Iris and James, as well. If you want to come too then you could travel down with us at lunch time."

"Yes, he did leave me a message too... I was going to put him off but if you are all going too, I guess it will be good for a get together, I would very much appreciate a lift too."

"I'll give you a call on Thursday evening to let you know what time we'll come for you then."

"It'll be good opportunity for us to have a chat on the drive down; I would have thought though, that with all the guests that he's already got at the moment, we would be the last thing your father would want?"

Laurie giggled suddenly. "That's probably what it is though, he's calling out for reinforcements."

"Poor Greg!" Trudy sighed. "He never was much for entertaining."

12