Brotherhood of Janus Ch. 04-05: Sarah & Wedding

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I love you so much," he whispered in my ear.

"I love you, too," I replied.

We broke our hug and walked to the entrance of the lodge. Luke was right in front of us. He had my bag.

"Thank you, Luke," I said.

"More than welcome, Sarah," he replied.

"So, how was Lincoln before you left?" John asked.

"I don't know. I left before anything was discussed."

"Oh. Okay. I'll find out when Jimmy calls."

"He should have called already," I said looking at my watch.

I was alone as I watched John go running up the stairs to the president's office. I followed, snagging Luke by the arm to follow. In the office, John was on the phone. He slammed the handset down, picked it up, and called another number. He listened for a little bit, then punched the disconnect. He dialed again, then started talking. What he said made no sense to me.

"What's he asking about?" I whispered to Luke.

"He asked the terminal if the plane from Lincoln is in the air. Oops, it's not."

John looked around and spotted Luke. His face looked grim. He dialed another number. He began talking, then sat there waiting, phone to his ear.

"Plane is still on the tarmac at Lincoln. Johnny and Jimmy aren't answering their phones. The Sheriff is sending a car there to see why. I'm on hold. Luke, go see who's around to make a flight to Lincoln if needed."

"Sure thing boss," Luke said dropping my bag and leaving.

I just stood there watching John fidget as he waited on hold. A few minutes' later twelve tac-team members came into the office. John's eyes got big as he nodded at Luke.

"I sure hope you won't be needed, but thank you," John said.

"To hell and back, sir," Luke said. All the others nodded. John smiled, then frowned, then perked up, listening to the phone. He sat listening for quite some time. Then my phone started to ring. Sliding it out of my pants pocket, I answered it.

"Hello, Sarah, speaking," I said.

"Sarah, Jimmy, give your phone to John, please?"

"Just a second, he's on another call right now," I said not wanting to interrupt John.

"Thank you, Sheriff, thank you very much. I think he's on the other line right now. Yes, I will, sir. Of course, Harold. I understand. And thank you again."

John hung up the phone and reached his hand out. I handed my phone to him.

"Jimmy!" he almost shouted. "Glad to hear you're alive my friend. Of course. I will, I will. See you tomorrow, buddy."

John disconnected and handed my phone back to me as he stood up.

"Well, they are safe and sound. It seems someone, who the sheriff has in custody had a cell phone jammer setup on lodge grounds and deployed it when they found out we were there. The team destroyed it and everyone will be back tomorrow. Sarah, please stay. Luke, you and the rest can go do whatever you were doing or going to do. Please."

Luke just smiled nodding at John and me. The rest nodded and left the office. As the last of them was out the door, John was pulling me into his arms, pressing his lips to mine. We kissed for a long time.

Chapter 5

Monday morning came around quickly but I was looking forward to seeing my kids again. A long weekend tends to make me miss them. They were all so cute and at just the right age to get them to learn. Listening though? That was another thing altogether. The boys were just starting to notice girls as different. The girls were at the point of ignoring the boys for them not paying attention to them for so long. They were all so cute that I almost couldn't stand it. My classes began at eight in the morning. All my kids were on time, most of the time. This morning was no exception. Well, except for Billy Tyler. Billy was having problems at home. We had discussed them. His parents weren't as well off as many of my other students. So, his parents were always fighting about money and finances.

I wished I could help but I couldn't. Billy came in with a note from the office in his hand his head down shoulders slouched. He wouldn't look at me when he handed me the note. I took his hand and brought him to my desk. Sitting I lifted his chin. He was crying. I gasped when I saw his bruised cheek. It wasn't bruised badly, but it was enough to know that someone had hit him.

"Did Miss McGuire see this?" I asked.

He shook his head. I took my cell phone out of my pocket.

"Please, don't," he cried softly so just I could hear him. "If they take them away, I will have nobody."

Tears were running down his cheeks, snot was dripping from his nose. I hugged him to me. I dialed my phone. I knew what I had to do. It was the law. I also knew people that could help this boy and his parents. My first call was to social services. My second was to John. It would take a while but John and I would see what we could do to help. I hugged Billy until the bell rang. My other kids came upfront each of them hugged Billy. Surprised by what they did, I just sat there watching. The last one was Eileen Phillips. I knew her father. She pulled Billy into her arms and hugged him. Billy hugged her back. He smiled up at me as he did. Then she was gone and Billy was standing there with a dreamy look on his face.

Before my next class had settled down a social worker showed up. She sat with Billy and me upfront. I had the other children start reading the next chapter in their textbooks. They did it very quietly. They seemed to sense that something was amiss and I was trying to help Billy. As the social worker, and I, her name was Joyce Wilson finally got Billy to open up about what happened. Joyce told me this was the first call they had about a battered child, nodding to Billy. He said it had been an accident. His father was trying to keep his mom from falling and he had hit Billy as he also tried to help. When asked if his parent had been fighting he said they were.

His mom was backing away from his dad who was angry about a bill that had not been paid on time when his mom had tripped. Billy said his dad had never hit his mom or him. As we were talking my phone buzzed. I looked at the caller ID and it was John. Shaking my head, I told Joyce I had to take it. John told me a lot of interesting things about Billy's parents. Jimmy had evidently gone over there to wait to see who showed up to question them. It was a county police officer. Jimmy identified himself and tagged along.

I told Joyce she would have a full report from the county and the state by four this evening. Her phone buzzed. She looked at me. I shrugged my shoulders. She took the call, sitting there nodding looking at me with a frown, and her eyes closed to slits. Her last words to the caller were 'Thank you', then she hung up.

"Who are you?" she asked.

"I'm a sixth-grade teacher," I replied.

She sat there looking at me for a minute or so. Then she smiled.

"I have been ordered to leave Billy here as long as you volunteer to take him home and discuss things with his parents." She was frowning once again.

"I will. Thank you."

Joyce stood still frowning at me. She shook her head, then turned and left my room. Billy sat there looking up at me. I turned to him smiling.

"Now, young man, I expect the truth from you. You got that?" I scolded.

"Yes, Ma'am," he said.

"Tell me what happened," I almost growled.

"My dad and mom were fighting. Dad went to hit mom and I stood in front of her to protect her. When I did dad hit me. Not hard, like he usually hits mom. And he immediately knelt down saying he was sorry and would never do it again. I believed him. He was crying," Billy said softly.

"Okay, off to your next class. When you are finished for the day, you had better be here in this room sitting front and center. You got that Billy?"

"Yes, Ma'am. And thank you, Ma'am."

The bell rang and the rest of the class was blocking the door.

"Wait, Billy, I will walk you down to Miss Johnson's class."

Billy nodded sitting back down.

~~~ Janus ~~~

At three o'clock Billy came into my classroom and sat at the center desk upfront. I smiled at him. I finished with what I was doing, grading homework, then got myself ready to leave. I took Billy's hand in mine and walked him out to my car. He was holding my hand tightly.

"Billy, don't worry, I will see you are not hurt," I said.

"I know, Ma'am," he replied.

I smiled. He was always polite to the teachers. Then I wondered if that was because of something else. I shook my head and pulled my phone out and called John. As Billy and I pulled up in front of his home, John and Jimmy were waiting. Nodding as I parked, I knew things were not good. But John would try his damndest to save this family. I knew that in my heart. Even though they weren't in the Brotherhood.

As Billy and I got out of my car, John and Jimmy got out of theirs. Jimmy was driving. Billy gawked at both men. I squeezed his hand in reassurance. John came up to me and kissed me quickly. Jimmy just nodded at me smiling and winked at Billy.

"Who do we have here?" John asked.

"John, this is Billy, one of my pupils. Billy, this is my friend John."

"Glad to meet you, Billy," said John offering his hand to Billy.

"Nice to meet you too, sir," Billy said taking John's hand.

"You may call me John, Billy. We are all friends here. I would like you to meet my friend Jimmy. Jimmy, this is my new friend Billy," John said.

"Billy, so nice to meet you," Jimmy said offering Billy his hand.

"Nice to meet you too, sir," Billy said taking Jimmy's hand.

"Jimmy, Billy, please."

"Of course, Jimmy," Billy said smiling.

The front door of the house opened. Billy flinched, closing his eyes. I knew then this was not going to be pleasant.

"Billy, you better get in this house..." the man in the doorway shouted.

Billy went to comply, but Jimmy put his hand on the boy's shoulder, holding him in place.

"John, hold everyone here for a moment. Mister Tyler and I need to have a talk for a few minutes," Jimmy said.

"Please, don't hurt him," Billy said, tears rolling down his cheeks.

Jimmy grimaced, turning to Billy and squatting down.

"Billy, I promise not to hurt your dad. I'm just going to talk to him, I promise."

Jimmy ruffled Billy's hair and went to the door. Mister Tyler stood there defiantly. Jimmy pulled out his wallet. John and I could see the color drain from Mister Tyler's face from the sidewalk out front. Billy's buried his face in my dress at my hip, my hand on his back. I could hear him praying. John looked at me, then down at Billy, then up at the house. Jimmy and Mister Tyler had disappeared inside. John almost ran up the stairs and into the house. I just stood there knowing this would not end well. Squatting down, I hugged Billy.

Chapter 6

For ten minutes, Billy and I hugged each other. Then John was at the door, waving for us to come inside.

"Come on Billy, time to go in," I said, releasing him.

"Oh god," he replied.

Taking his hand in mine, I squeezed it gently. He squeezed back. I could see tears rolling down his cheeks as we walked up the stairs and into the house. Honestly, I thought we would be walking in to see a bloody Mister Tyler sitting in the living room but we didn't. Billy let go of my hand and ran to his mother. They hugged each other. Then Missus Tyler whispered something to Billy. He shook his head and stood there with his mom. Mister Tyler went to say something but, Jimmy held up his hand. Mister Tyler didn't utter a peep.

"Mister Tyler, this is your son's teacher, Miss Beckett, your life is in her hands. If the county had known what she knew... you would be in jail," Jimmy said. "You might still wind up there tonight if things don't go to my liking or hers. Do you understand?"

"I do," Tyler said stiff-faced with just a hint of hate in his voice.

Jimmy let it passed, looking up at me and nodding. I guess it was my turn. Opening my purse, I took my card out and wrote my cell number on the back. Going over to Missus Tyler, I handed it to her. She didn't seem to want to take it from me.

"If you want things to get better, it starts with you. He hits you or Billy again, call my cell. I will be here as soon as I can to help. If that means he goes to jail, so be it. If it means I beat the shit out of him to help him get his mind straight then so be it."

Missus Tyler smiled at the last. Billy did too. Of course, neither of them knew me. I turned to Mister Tyler. I stood in front of him. He was chuckling at what I said.

"Stand up asshole," I shouted. Billy laughed, Missus gasped.

He came up out of his seat ready to punch me. I punched him in the gut, then kneed him in the face. He was back sitting staring up at me, blood running out of his nose. Jimmy and John just sat there looking at him.

"You..." he started to say.

I slapped him, hard. His head spun around. He had to shake his head to clear his mind.

"If your two buddies weren't here..."

"Jimmy, John, out. Take Missus and Billy with you."

Jimmy and John rose, gathering Billy and the Missus with them. They went out the front door. When Tyler heard it close he was up out of his seat. My knee was in his crotch before he took a step and was sitting down again. Looking up at me with hate in his eyes, I punched him in the face again. He growled as he tried to get up but I had my foot on his throat. He raised his hands as he gasped for breath.

"Okay, okay, I give up," he wheezed.

"I didn't want to do this but, when I saw Billy's face this morning, it made me angry and when I get angry... well you felt what happens," I said.

"Who are you?" he asked.

"I am a teacher. Before that though, I was a Marine."

He just grunted staring up at me.

"Now, Mister Tyler, here is what you are going to do, if you don't, you go to jail or you will see me again. Your choice."

"What do I have to do?"

"First, you apologize to your wife and child. Second, you get help with your anger issues. Third... are you currently working?"

"No, I'm between jobs," he said softly hanging his head.

"What is it that you do?"

"I'm a carpenter."

"Are you any good at that?" I asked.

"Yes..."

"But?"

"When I'm not drinking," he said, shame coloring his voice.

Reaching for my purse, I pulled a different card out.

"Here, they can help with your drinking. The first thing you do when we are finished, I'll stay to watch you, is get rid of all the alcohol in the house. Is that clear Mister Tyler?"

He took the card, read it, and nodded.

"Yes."

"Good, now go clean your face, while I let your wife and child back in the house."

Nodding, he rose cautiously and went back to the bathroom. I went to the front door and let everyone back in. Missus gasped when she didn't see her husband. Billy pulled on her arm. When Mister Tyler came back into the living room, he cleared his throat.

"June, Billy, I'm so sorry for the way I have been acting. I really hope you can forgive me. I know it will take some time for that to happen but, I promise things will get better around here."

"John, he needs a job, carpenter. He says he good..."

"He is good when he's not drinking," June said.

"We will see," I replied still looking at John.

"I'll see what I can do. Those new houses are going up, over on Cedar..."

John stopped taking a notepad out of his pocket. He and Jimmy whispered to each other for a few seconds, then John wrote something in the notepad. He tore the sheet and handed it to me. I read what was there and went to Mister Tyler. I handed him the paper.

"I will call him tonight, be there bright and early tomorrow and you will have yourself a job. You will have to prove to him that you are going to meetings and not drinking. Clear?" John asked.

"Yes, sir," Mister Tyler said.

"It's time," I said.

Nodding he went into the kitchen and started to pour the liquor, beer, and wine down the drain. June gasped at what her husband was doing. Billy was smiling and nodding his approval. Mister Tyler then went back into the rest of the house and brought back several bottles of liquor, which he poured into the sink. He gathered up the bottles and put them in a garbage bag, then collapsed onto the couch.

"Billy, I will see you in class tomorrow, bright and early, okay?"

"Yes, Ma'am," he replied smiling broadly at me.

Leaning down, I kissed his cheek. His grin got even bigger.

"I won't tell Eileen, okay?" I teased him.

He blushed but continued smiling.

"You guys ready?" I asked John and Jimmy.

"Ready," they both said getting up.

I looked down at Mister Tyler.

"I know you love your wife and child but, if I don't hear good things about you, I will be back. Clear?"

"Very," he replied.

"Good."

Chapter 7

The next day, Billy was in class bright and early. He came up front and told me how his father was doing. It was his father who had dropped him off on his way to work. That he had the job, guaranteed by John with the caveat that he keeps dry and goes to his meetings. John had even told him he would go with him, even though John had never been an alcoholic. I thought that was very kind of him.

For the next couple of days, Billy was all smiles in class. Then on Friday, he came up front after everyone else were in their seats. He looked sad.

"What's the matter, Billy?" I asked as he sat in the chair alongside my desk.

"It's Friday," he replied.

"Ah! Well don't worry, John will be there to meet him and go to his meeting with him."

"What happens if he doesn't?" Bill asked sadly.

"Well, we will have to cross that bridge when we come to it. I know that's not the answer you're looking for but it's all I have right now, Billy. Now cheer up, Eileen is making googly eyes at you but you better not tell her I told you. Are we clear on that point?" I said softly but had my angry face on, even though I felt like giggling.

Billy nodded smiling up at me. He chuckled a little.

"Okay back to your desk. Go," I said waving toward his desk.

I watched Eileen, as Billy walked back to his desk shoulders slumped. Eileen sat right behind him. She was watching him. Her face all scrunched up in pain as she watched Billy. 'Why that little conman,' I thought to myself. Then I saw Eileen hand him a note. They weren't supposed to do that but I let it slide this once. Watching Billy, he opened it and smiled widely. I nodded, looking down at my desk.

~~~ Janus ~~~

After school, I went home to get some things for the weekend at the lodge. I was looking forward to seeing John. When I got to the lodge, he wasn't there but Grace was. I had forgotten we had an appointment with her. I took her up to the room. John wasn't there. He did leave a note. He was at the meeting with Mister Tyler.

"Oops," I said. "It seems we both forgot our meeting with you, Doctor," I said.

"Where is John?" she asked softly.

"He's actually helping one of my student's father get squared away."

"Exactly, what is he doing?"

"He's at an AA meeting with the father. This will be the first weekend since he quit drinking."

"Is John his sponsor?" Grace asked.

"In a manner of speaking. John is not an alcoholic, but he put together the group for some of his friends. One of them will eventually become the dad's sponsor."

"I see. Then maybe we could talk for a little while. If that's okay with you?" Grace asked.

"Sure, no problem. Would you like to have some dinner first?" I asked.

"No thank you, I'm meeting my husband later," replied Grace.

"That's okay, I would prefer to wait for John," I said.

Grace sat on the divan. I took my coat and placed it on the bed, then went and sat next to her. I looked at her smiling. It was her dime I felt she should start the conversation.

"Are you really as happy with John as you seem?" Her first question was dozy.

"I am, I am. No, really I am." I was trying not to laugh.