Call of the Wild - Pt. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Possibly. There are plenty of stories like that. Did Kaylie change? Get sick more often?"

"No. If anything, she was more energetic. She'd get up early, help with breakfast, check on us more often."

"That doesn't sound like something that feeds on people. It may have just been naturally weak from taking him over, or assuming his shape and memories. Maybe some kind of symbiotic or parasitic relationship."

"Can you save them?"

"We'll try."

"And... please. Don't hurt him."

"Melissa, he's not your brother."

"I know. I know but, what if he's in there? Somewhere? I need to know what happened."

"I'll see what we can do. But no promises. He's dangerous."

###

Chapter 26

There was another angle here that Kal wasn't seeing. He trusted Niko about as far as he could throw him. He'd bought himself some time to discuss with Hana and Kaylie, but the whole thing rubbed him the wrong way. Practically throwing Elina at him also left a bad taste in his mouth.

He did have to admit, though, that the limo ride back was pretty sweet. The soft leather, the shiny matte finish, even the crystal glasses, it all screamed 'old money'.

"I feel like if I touch anything and it breaks, we're going to have to sell the house to pay it off." Hana hovered her hand over the crystal decanter before thinking better of it. "And that might only cover half of it."

"I'd rather be at home than here," Kaylie said. "All this glitz and glamour just feels weird."

"What, you don't want an army of creepy servants watching your every move and catering to your will?" Kal asked with a chuckle.

Kaylie gave an exaggerated shiver. "God, can you imagine? How would you even go about your day? There'd be no privacy."

"Well, I guarantee you that even if we take their deal, we aren't doing that. Maybe a nice, sensible house. Hundred million. You know, something small."

What Kal really wanted to do was talk about the deal here, but there was no telling how much the driver could hear, or if there was a recording device. Instead, they just bantered the whole ride, finally breathing easy once the limo left and disappeared down the street.

No sooner had they opened the door to the house when the rumble of four well-worn cars and trucks approached. Mud stained the tires and caked the mudflaps. Tinted windows hid the occupants of all the vehicles. They came to an orderly stop in front of the house.

He caught his breath, even as his stomach sank, caught between relief and dread when she stepped out of the front car. They had found her. Natalie was finally back. But he knew what that meant was about to happen.

Seven others accompanied her and not a happy face amongst them. Monique stepped protectively beside Natalie giving him a nasty glare. That flirty veneer had long since gone. She looked ready to kill him.

A big man, nearly six and a half feet tall and at least two hundred something pounds of muscles glowered as he approached. A massive lumberjack. That was all Kal could see when looking at the imposing man.

"You Kal? We got something to talk about."

***

Kal could safely say that this was the tensest he'd ever been. Worse than the mountain. Worse than that time Ms. Aberdeen had made him smoke the entire pack of cigarettes he'd bought in front of everyone when he was fifteen. His stomach had churned, and he had vomited, promising never to smoke again. It felt like that, but a lot worse.

Natalie's entire family was packed into the kitchen, some sitting, some leaning against the walls. Her direct family all leveled glares to varying degrees. Her cousins though, seemed to float between irritation and curiosity. He hadn't caught their names. They lined the wall by the kitchen entrance. One idly cleaned his nails with a pocketknife while another sniffed at some jerky from his pocket. Natalie sat with her head hung while picking at her nails nervously. She hadn't even looked up at him yet.

Beside Natalie sat her mother, Carol, blonde like Natalie with piercing blue eyes. She was more focused on comforting Natalie, rubbing her arm, and whispering to her at times. Her father, Bill, growled, vibrating the air with every deep breath he took. Jason seemed the least hostile, though whether that was just his nature or because he was the youngest wasn't clear. Monique glared daggers, though.

Hana lay a calming hand on his shoulder, squeezing lightly in support. Kaylie stood at the kitchen island beside him. She squeezed his hand hard, the faint rumbling vibrations from her chest transmitting to him.

Kal cleared his throat, breaking the silence. "I'm thankful to you all for coming so quickly."

"She's family," Monique snapped. "Of course, we'd come."

"Yeah. Uh, I guess we should probably discuss some of the, ah, changes, that Natalie has been experiencing."

"What about them?" Monique asked, nodding toward Hana and Kaylie. "Should they be here for this?"

"We're family too," Kaylie said, matching Monique's glower. "We aren't going anywhere."

Her father crossed his arm, the leather jacket creaking as he did so. "Fine then. What are you?"

Direct and to the point.

Kal cleared his throat again. "I was told that I'm a Freiji. Some kind of... extra-planar psychic wolf, I guess."

"So, what? You got into her head? Messed around there?"

"No! I'd never do that. Even if I could, which I don't think I can."

"Dad, please." Natalie spoke softly, glancing up at Kal for the first time since arriving. "It's not something Kal did. Not knowingly, at least."

Sadness tinged her eyes. It broke Kal's heart to see her like this. All he wanted to do was hold her. Comfort her. But he couldn't. He didn't deserve it.

"Is she... are they... your mates?"

He'd known the question was coming, but that didn't prevent the horrid sinking feeling in his gut.

"...yes."

He didn't need to look around, he could feel the looks of disgust.

"You sick fuck," Monique spat. "Your sisters?"

Kaylie and Hana squeezed his arms tight. He could only stare at the floor. He had to do this. He had to come clean.

Natalie got up. She stood before him. He waited for her to hit him. To curse at him. To hate him.

"You didn't know, did you?" Her voice was soft and far too kind for what he'd done. "Even back at the hotel, you thought it was me."

"I didn't know. Not then. My mind and memories are still jumbled, but I know what I did. It's not an excuse, but I didn't know."

"What kind of a bullshit excuse is that?" Monique demanded. "You didn't know that you were fucking your sisters behind her back?"

"Back off!" Natalie's outburst caused everyone to lean back. "None of us are in control or even remember everything when we change. What do you think might happen if we all changed at the same time? Huh? For all we know we'd end up mating too, just like mom and dad."

"That, that's different! They aren't related! They just found each other in the woods one night."

Natalie's parents glanced at each other awkwardly.

"You want to take that chance? You want to try changing with Jason, or Alex, or Daniel? There's a reason we all go our own ways. Because we don't know what will happen."

"Well, th... that, ah...," Monique stuttered. She locked back onto Kal. "But he's not transforming. How do we even know he's telling the truth?"

"I know, because he fucked me in very different ways and didn't remember it!"

Kal hadn't thought it could get any worse. He had been wrong. This was the worst.

"Oh, and his dick transformed too! And he blew me up like a balloon!" Natalie continued heatedly.

No, this was the worst.

Stunned silence filled the room as Natalie turned several shades of red once her mind caught up with her mouth.

Her father cleared his throat after a long and uncomfortable silence, turning his attention back to Kal. "Um, so, a Freiji? How does that work?"

"Yeah, uh, I can do something like an astral projection, I guess, that lets me wander another realm. The wandering realm, they called it. I'm a giant wolf there. I've only recently been able to recall it. Apparently, if you aren't trained, it can be hard to connect your minds. I run mostly on instincts there, with some of the other me bleeding over."

Kal glanced at Natalie, her face slowly cooling. "My other self... I looked for you there. I wanted so desperately for you to be there. With me. But werewolves can't come to that realm."

"So, do Freiji affect all werewolves the same?" One of the cousins asked. Alex, maybe? He pointed to Monique and Jason. "They said you affected them by just being nearby. They could taste food and their skin didn't itch like it usually does as it gets closer to the full moon."

"Meat tastes a bit different," the one who had been chewing at the jerky said. That must have been Daniel. "Only been here a few minutes, but it seems spicier than before. Ava, give it a try."

Ava grabbed the offered piece and took a bite. "Yeah, I think you're right. Kind of burns now."

"Would it also keep us from changing?" Alex asked hopefully.

"Would we be able to control it?" Ava asked. "Live normal lives?"

Jason seemed to grow excited at the prospect. "We could stay together? We wouldn't have to scatter?"

"I really don't know. I'm not sure how much I affected Natalie by just being near her, or... other... things." Kal cringed as the sentence petered out. "But I'm willing to help."

"Um, I could make some lunch?" Hana offered. "Maybe a bit more time here would affect your sense of taste? BLT's?"

"Oh my god, that sounds amazing," Ava started before checking with Natalie. "If that's okay?"

"Yeah, um, okay."

The mood had shifted significantly, that underlying tension disappearing, but that didn't comfort Kal. It still bothered Natalie. The way she shifted her weight, the way her finger twitched like a nervous tick; it all made his stomach twist in knots.

"Kal? Could I talk with you? Alone?"

"Yeah. Yeah, uh, we can talk upstairs."

This couldn't possibly end well. Kal steeled his heart.

Kal led the way to the sounds of tentative conversations and murmurs from the kitchen. Every step was harder than the last. One step closer to losing her.

Maybe she sensed it too. His nervousness. His reticence to move. At the top of the stairs, she held his hand lightly in her own. A soft touch, as if afraid that anything more would pop the brief moment of intimacy.

They walked silently to the sitting room, taking a seat on the couch. The distance separating them was a chasm of fear and sadness.

"Kal..."

"Wait. Before you say anything, please, let me just say something."

He collected his thoughts, staring at her delicate hand in his. They trembled, though whether it was hers or his, he couldn't tell. He couldn't bring himself to look at her.

"I never meant to hurt you. I wanted so desperately for you to be with me. My other self and I... we both wanted you with us. But that doesn't change the fact that I cheated on you. Whether knowingly or not. And not just once. Or even with just one. Things are so confusing at times. Hana and Kaylie. They're family... and more. I... I just wanted... I just wanted everyone. Together. A family. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."

Kal wiped the tears rolling down his cheeks. His eyes burned. It was out now. He'd said it. It was real. The burning mass in his gut still roiled within, the oppressive aura of knowing what he'd done to her still bearing down on his shoulders.

Kal took deep breaths, calming himself. It wasn't over. He needed to hear what she had to say, as much as it would hurt. He deserved it.

"Kal, I know you didn't mean to... I believe you. But that doesn't change how it hurt. I spent days in the woods, raging and crying, just trying to make sense of my feelings. To get over my heartbreak. To know that I wasn't the only one in your heart... it broke mine. You... you were my first love."

Were. No word hurt as bad or burned as hot in his chest. Were.

"And... I don't know what all this means. Freiji. Werewolves. Maybe we are tied together, in some way. But I'll never be what you really want. I can't be part of the other realm. And every time I see you... my heart aches. And I know yours does too. So, if you want me to leave, to take my family and go, I will. We'll never bother you again."

Kal shook his head, clenching his eyes to stop the tears.

"No, please. I know it's selfish, but I don't want you to leave. I don't care if you can't be part of the other realm. I wanted to be with you even before I knew about it. I want to be with you. But I can't abandon my family. They're a part of me, and always will be." Kal paused, taking a shuddering breath. "I'm sorry. I just hope... someday... you'll forgive me, even if I can't forgive myself for what I've put you through."

Kal finally met her gaze. Natalie's eyes were puffy, tears rolling down her face. She sniffled gently.

There were no words. Natalie leaned in and kissed him. Her lips were salty from her tears. He pulled her tight, crushing her body to his. They trembled in each other's arms, a long and lingering kiss. He didn't want to let her go. Her arms squeezed tightly around him.

###

Chapter 27

The smell of bacon and the sounds of sizzling fat filled the kitchen as Natalie's family hovered around. Bill and Carol remained at the table talking in hushed tones with Monique, but Jason and the others tried to make themselves useful, all while casting hungry glances at the food.

"Sorry, I wasn't expecting so much company," Hana apologized. "I only have white bread. The mayo and mustard are in the fridge. Lettuce is in the bottom drawer."

Ava opened the fridge and passed the condiments to Alex, who helped set up the kitchen island as a self-help station.

"No, we should be apologizing. We kind of stormed in here and now you're feeding us." Jason seemed like a nice kid. He laid out the bread slices on the plates they'd arranged. "Things get weird when it comes to family. Especially with our family. And I guess, your family too."

"Things have definitely gotten more interesting, I'll say that." Hana flipped the strips of bacon.

Was two pounds going to be enough for everyone?

"So, what's it like?" Ava asked during a lull in the conversation. "Living like an actual wolf?"

"Well, it's hard to say. It's all still fuzzy for me. I think it will take a while before I can really sync up with my wolf self. But I can tell you that I'm happier every morning than I ever was. I feel warm, and safe, and part of something."

Kaylie wrapped her arms around Hana's waist and cuddled her from behind. "That's only the tip. When we're there, it's like everything melts away. No worries, just living how we want. Being free. With the ones we love."

Daniel leaned against the counter space and sighed. "If only it were like that with us. I just wake up terrified that I've hurt someone. Cold, aching, lost, and more often than not, completely naked."

"I told you, try the super elastic sweats," Alex said. "At least then you won't be wandering through the woods with it just dangling around."

"If only that worked for tops," Ava lamented. "Anything I wear gets torn to shreds, so the girls are always out."

"Well, not like you got much to worry about there," Daniel teased.

Ava flipped him the bird. "Says mister turtle."

"Hey, we were kids. And it was cold."

"He lost his swim trunks in the lake once," Alex explained as they made more snarky comments. "Ava and her friends were there. He never shook the name."

"Reminds me of Kal and Melissa," Hana said as she pulled out the crispy strips and placed them on the paper towels. "You must all be pretty close."

Jason helped blot the bacon with another paper towel. "Kinda have to be. Not like anyone else would understand."

The three siblings stopped bickering once the bacon hit the kitchen island and proceeded to make their sandwiches. Jason made four and passed them out to his parents and Monique while the others stacked the bacon as high as they could.

The nearly simultaneous groans suggested that their sense of taste was back.

"Oh my god, it's never tasted so good," Ava exclaimed between mouthfuls.

"Wow, maybe there is something to this Freiji thing," Bill added as he licked his fingers. "Was it like this last time, Monique?"

Monique paused, sandwich almost jammed once again in her mouth. She cleared her throat. "Ah, yeah. We were at a Chinese restaurant with Kal and Natalie. It was like I'd never tasted food before." She cast a glance back at Kaylie and Hana. "I, uh, I'm sorry. I said some messed up stuff. I shouldn't judge you. Being like this, it kind of defies normal conventions. I'm sorry."

"Oh, yeah, I guess it's fine," Kaylie answered hesitantly. "Like, I get it. It's weird. There's really no good way of explaining it."

"Still, I shouldn't have said anything."

She resumed eating at Hana's nod.

At least she had apologized. It wasn't like they couldn't see her perspective, and she was obviously upset by Natalie's disappearance. They could cut her a little slack.

"Hana, have you heard from Melissa recently? We should probably let her know we have guests."

Hana grabbed her phone from the counter and shot her a text.

Hey sweety, are you going to be here for dinner? We have a few houseguests over. I feel like we haven't seen you in a while.

I'll be back late again. Don't wait up.

Hana's brow wrinkled at Melissa's short responses. It wasn't like they texted all the time, but she was usually more talkative.

Okay. I love you.

Me too.

"What's up?" Kaylie asked as she nibbled on one of the lone strips left over.

"I don't know. She's been kinda standoffish recently."

"Should we be worried?"

Hana shook her head dismissively. "I'll ask her when she gets in."

"Hey, did you guys change after meeting Kal the first time?" Ava asked as she snatched the last bacon strip before Alex could.

"Yeah. It felt okay for another day or two after we left, but after that the itching started again and then I changed," Jason said.

"Same here," Monique added. "Probably a day later I lost my sense of taste again. But Natalie said after hanging out with him for a few days she didn't change at all. Sat naked in the forest for a couple of hours, but nothing happened."

"Um, I know it's a bit of an imposition," Jason began, "but would it be possible for us to hang around a few days? Just until the full moon?"

"Yes, I think that should be fine," Hana said after checking with Kaylie. "We have a master suite upstairs that hasn't been used in a long time. It's a bit dusty, but we can fit most of you in there. We can use the living room as well, though you might have to pack in a bit."

"Thank you. Really." Bill's eternal scowl seemed to have softened into a rather friendly smile. "We'll try to stay out of your hair while we try this experiment. We'll find some safe places in the forest just in case."

###

Chapter 28

Niko loved the gentle rusting of the leaves here. It had a different tinge to it than in the green forests of his own territory. Crisp. That was all he could think. That pleasant crunch, even as they fluttered in the wind.

Twice in one month? You're spoiling me.

Antony rubbed his head against Niko's, a happy purr rumbling within.

It's safe. I just gave my father an update, so he isn't paying attention here.

How goes it?

As well as can be expected of an American, I suppose. He's been consorting with Hyalti. I'm trying to break him of that.

Antony grunted at the mention. His experiences hadn't been any better than his own.

They began to walk through the forest, the leaves falling gently around them.

123456...8