Call of the Wild - Pt. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

How are your preparations coming? Niko asked.

Well enough. The younger generation buck at the rules, and the sub-houses are ill content. The elders and patriarch are mobilizing for this new Freiji of yours. I've positioned my men as the house guard. We're ready to move.

The houses and their ridiculous games and rules. They forced Freiji into a cage that only they controlled. It wasn't right. Freiji were born to be free. To make their own decisions. To raise their own families. To love who they chose.

Good. Father is preparing as well, though he's confident that with Kal, he'll be able to weather the storm.

Will he be a problem? Your American?

Would he? He'd taken yet another mate and barely seemed interested in Elina. But he was poor and didn't know much, which made him easier to manipulate.

Unclear. But it may not matter. Elina is a shell of herself, she won't interfere. Kal may well decline the offer, but he's growing in power. Soon, everyone will know where he is. Whether the carnage is directed at father or Kal, it will still be an opportunity for us to overturn the houses.

Niko halted and glanced at Antony who had suddenly stopped.

And Maria? You're sure she will help?

Ah, Maria. His father had tried to pair him off to her sub-house, effectively banishing him from the family as punishment for being with Antony. It had taken a lot to cancel the engagement.

She will, Antony. Her father only cared about the position, not her. She knew why I didn't want to be with her. She has her own desires, too. She'll help. Trust me.

Antony licked at Niko's muzzle and nuzzled his neck.

You know I do. I just worry.

Niko sat beside him sniffing at Antony's neck and licking him back.

It will be alright.

Have you made any progress with the investigation? Mount Waris?

Niko had dispatched several Vahemma that he could trust to search that place top to bottom. Wherever Kal had gone, or where Erolyn had set up his place, they couldn't find it.

Nothing. I'm planning on bringing Kal back there to investigate. It might jog his memories now that he is connecting properly with his true self.

It was only a secondary concern of his, but for Pasha it meant the world. If they could find out how Erolyn had done it, they would be able to revitalize their bloodlines. Fewer disappointed families with Vahemma offspring, less heartbreak at empty dens. They could flourish.

I should go.

Antony whined and nuzzled him again.

Don't worry. It'll be over soon.

###

Chapter 29

How could this happen? Had he called them somehow? Some new monster that could summon and control werewolves? Some kind of psychic beast that dominated the minds of others?

One werewolf was bad enough, but an entire pack of werewolves in town days before the full moon? It was going to be a slaughter. They'd turn, and tear everything around them to pieces. The two of them didn't have the time or manpower to take out an entire pack.

"They're on the way," Bethany said as she placed the phone on the table. "Be here by tomorrow night. Can only get five others here in that time though. Ain't gonna be enough."

Seven hunters against eight wolves and at least one psychic creature. It wasn't possible.

Bethany rubbed her temples in thought. "We're goin' to have to get unconventional. We can't wait for them to turn."

Allison remained silent. They both knew what she was implying. They'd have to kill them as humans.

It left a sour taste in her mouth. Some of them might baulk at it. No one liked doing it. If it had been even a month before, Allison would have refused as well. But they were out of options. Either kill them or watch them tear through the town and everyone in it.

"Do you think it's true? About them not changing?" Allison asked.

"Even if they're right, they can't control it. That's just a fairytale they're tellin' themselves. That girl killed three people last time."

Bethany sighed and sat heavily in the chair. She glanced at the laptop screen, the scene of the Aberdeen household meeting playing out again. She pulled her handgun and ejected the magazine, counting the silver rounds she had loaded.

"Ten rounds in the Glock," she said, sliding the magazine back in. "Ten in yours. Six in the revolver. Only seven for the AR. It'll have to be an ambush."

Allison's stomach curdled. Her father's lifeless face staring into the skies flashing before her eyes. It had been hard enough to pull the trigger. Could she have done it if he'd just been standing there? As himself? Didn't they owe it to him, to wait until the last moment? To confirm?

Allison drew her sidepiece as well, mechanically ejecting the magazine.

"Six for me. I used four last time...."

Silence weighed heavily in the room.

Bethany broke the prolonged silence. "What about Melissa?"

"What about her?"

"We could use her to lure them into a trap."

She'd already been through so much, and here they were, discussing what else to put her through.

"Bethany, she's barely eating as is...."

"I know, but unless we plan on rollin' up to the house and just unloadin' on them, we need a way to draw them out. They've been textin' her more often, and I've been givin' short excuses, but if they thought she was missin'...."

Allison closed her eyes and hung her head. Bethany was right. If they used her to lure them out, they could get them away from town. Somewhere in the woods.

"How?"

"We wait until the others get here. Set up an ambush in the woods. Tell Kal that she knows what he's done and that she's leavin'. He'll definitely start searchin' for her. Probably have the entire pack look for her too. We'll take her to an ambush spot in the forest, makin' sure to leave her scent where they can find it. Leave a car near the woods, like she crashed. Sprinkle some blood, like she gashed her forehead or something. They'll come to get her, and... we'll make it quick."

"She'll be with us then. She'll have to watch while we... I don't know if she can handle it."

"I think... we don't tell her," Bethany said softly. "We take her away. Tell her they're onto us. Make up somethin'. Go into the woods and hide. Make camp. I'll stay behind to lure them in. The others will be hidin' in wait. It'll be over before she even knows."

"...she'll never forgive us."

"But she'll be alive. As will the entire town. This is bigger than her now. We don't have the luxury of time."

Allison cradled her head. She was right. It wasn't about Melissa anymore. The best they could hope for was that she'd make it out alive.

###

Chapter 30

Focus on one thing. One thing that you can do. That's what she had said during the sessions. One thing. Once that's done, pick another thing. Keep moving.

The burrito was still warm. Gooey. Cheesy.

Melissa took another bite, her stomach rumbling as it was finally fed.

How long had it been since she'd eaten? She'd lost track of time. The heavy curtains blocked out the light, so she couldn't even tell if the sun was up or not.

Just do one thing. Eat food. After that, pick another thing. Drink something. Something bubbly.

She set down the empty wrapper, a pleasant fullness in her stomach. Next, she went to the adjoining door, knocking on it softly before pushing it open. A surprised looking Allison greeted her from the table.

"Hi, Melissa. You're up. How... how are you feeling?"

"Better. Ah, where's your friend?"

"Oh, she went to grab some more supplies. Is there something you need?"

"Well, I had a hankering for a soda or something. Can I go down the street to the store?"

Allison made a face. "It's best not to go outside. Whatever your brother is, he has a good sense of smell. He might find you, and we still don't know what he is or how to stop him. Why don't I grab you something instead?"

Right. Kal. She had to hide from him.

"Yeah, that'd be great. Thanks."

Allison left quickly, leaving Melissa alone in the room. She glanced at the laptop Allison had been on, noting the various recordings on display.

Melissa pulled the laptop over. It seemed simple enough. She pulled up the various feeds and had them running concurrently so that she could get a view of the whole house. She hadn't seen any videos aside from those they'd shared. How had it all begun? What were they doing now? Did they even think of her?

There they were, all sleeping soundly in his bed, curled around one another. Kal snuggled behind Hana, spooning her while Kaylie held him. Similar scenes had played out in the other videos. After they coupled, they would usually nap together, holding each other close.

From the screen, it seemed so natural. It was how Kal and Kaylie used to sleep, even before he'd disappeared. Melissa had found herself in his arms a few times growing up as well. It had been safe, and warm.

She sped through the video feed, watching them turn and cuddle through the night.

Melissa slowed down again as they stirred. Their voices were muffled. They were soft and loving, comforting and warm. They cuddled and kissed. Kal made love to Hana. It wasn't like the other videos. Slow. Gentle. Caring. Maybe he was still in there. Maybe he wasn't gone.

She watched on, even as Kal finished and rested on Hana, nuzzling her neck lovingly. Kaylie lay beside them, cuddling them.

Like a family.

No. It wasn't him. He wouldn't have abandoned her. Wouldn't have taken her family away. It wasn't him.

At the sound of footsteps Melissa turned off the laptop and rushed back to her room.

It wasn't him. It couldn't be.

###

Chapter 31

Pasha waited patiently at the border of his territory again, her tail flicking through the dandelions sending bursts of white seeds into the air. She scanned the snowy fields, watching the gentle winds blow white drifts across the horizon.

No sentries, no howls, nothing but a quiet territory. They'd be coming soon, and Kal was being swept up in Niko's plans without a way to defend himself. Niko wasn't nearly as cunning as he thought of himself as.

A deep growl pulled her attention, her ears swiveling to the source of the sound. The figure of a massive grey wolf rose ponderously from the snowy hills. This would be Kal. He was big, larger than even her. Probably around Elina's size. Given his oppressive aura, he'd been growing quickly.

Pasha sat up and waited patiently for him to approach. She was well outside his territory, but that wouldn't stop him if he took offense.

Another wolf came bounding up behind him, her brown and white coat gleaming in the sunlight.

Pasha!

Kal stopped growling as he watched Kaylie pad up to the border and sit. She beckoned him to join her.

Kal, this is Pasha. She taught me to speak.

Kal sat beside her as she nuzzled him, apparently at ease with Pasha's presence.

Are you with Niko and his family?

Pasha snorted, disturbing the floating seeds around her. Hardly. I'm from the Atwal family, one of the other five great houses.

How did you find us? Kaylie looked at her curiously. So far, it's only been Niko and Elina that have been here.

Leave it to Niko to leave out all the important bits. I can't help but notice you haven't set up guards or warnings either. You'll need them in the days to come. Even if you join a house. I imagine they've been withholding some of this information until you officially join.

Kal didn't respond. He gazed out onto his fields and then beyond it. Perhaps checking for backup.

I didn't bring anyone with me if that's what you're worried about. I'm just here to offer some friendly advice.

Why? Kal turned back to her. What do you get out of this?

While I don't care for the little twerp, my goals and his do happen to align. However, he has a tendency to twist the facts with half-truths that only ever serve him. I don't mind if you join his family or not. But if you decline the offer, you will be left completely defenseless, and that doesn't serve my interests.

Kal? You know how I feel about Niko's involvement and how he treated Natalie and even his own sister. We should have a backup plan.

Smart and beautiful. You're quite the lucky one, aren't you Kal?

...I'm listening.

Pasha stood and padded closer to the border, but not crossing it.

The easiest way to get new Freiji to understand was to show them.

All this is your territory. Do you know what that means? Pasha paused as they both gave her vacant stares.

Of course, even something like this Niko hadn't told them. He was just leaving them served up to anyone else.

A territory isn't just a place, it's your home, a projection of your will. You control this space, and you can change it as you desire. It will be difficult to change everything as a territory forms based on your earliest memories. For now, though, know that this is all part of you. And as such, you should be able to tell when something happens to it.

Pasha placed a foot over the border, sinking her front paw into the snow.

Think carefully about this place. You should be able to feel a discomfort, like a hair played over the edges of your fur. Like a single strand of a web being plucked, it vibrates within you.

The winds shifted, rustling Pasha's fur, and carrying her scent toward Kal and Kaylie. His hackles raised slightly, as if his muscles had been suddenly tensed.

Yes, do you feel it? You've already changed the winds to bring my scent to you. You know that someone is here.

Kaylie rose suddenly. I feel it! Like a single hair on my arm flicked suddenly.

Pasha lolled her tongue. She was a smart one. It came naturally to her.

Kal's expression hadn't changed. His head was still partially cocked, his ears swiveling as if he were trying to hear something.

It's fine if you can't isolate that feeling at first. But you have already instinctively grasped it. This, however, is the simplest of forms. For a territory of this size, you need a pack.

How many do we need? We have Hana here. Does Elina count?

Oh? He took another mate? Wasn't that his other sister? Well, it wasn't unheard of, but his ability to change them was unnaturally strong.

No, that's not what I'm referring to. I mean a guard pack. They aren't Freiji. They are projections of the territory. They are your eyes and ears. While you might know when someone crosses into your area, you won't know anything beyond that until you spot them. The pack guards your territory. What they see, you see.

Pasha stepped back into the green grass and sat.

Imagine a snowy wolf. One that would be native here. Make them small and agile as they will be covering a lot of ground. Try to see them moving through the snowdrifts and--

I did it! I did it!

Kaylie hopped and pranced around a small bundle of fur that had appeared before her. Two large and snowy ears popped from its head, its little snout sniffing the air. It ran in circles chasing its bushy tail.

Umm, are you sure you did that right? Kal seemed puzzled as the little creature hopped into the air and shoved its snout deep into the snow, burying itself and leaving only its hind legs sticking out and kicking the air.

Pasha panted heavily in amusement.

Well, good try. That's a fox. Close. But I guess it works too.

Aw, he's so cute!

Kaylie stuck her snout down the snow burrow trying to get a view of it as it carved a tunnel.

I see it! I can see the tunnel! It's digging around. She stuck her head up and rushed over the hill. There he is! I can see me!

What a fascinating woman. Pasha had assumed it would take them a few days to figure this out, but here she was already able to meld with her pack. Well, did foxes have packs? A skulk, was that what a group of foxes was?

I, uh, can't seem to do it.

It'll come in time. Your little mate is quite talented, I must say.

Can these packs fight?

Pasha grinned at the question. Quite sharp. They can, but not as well as you can. They can't leave the territory either, as that is the edge of your will. You may have noticed, but it's grown since I was last here.

I had been curious about that. Is that why others will start finding us?

Yes. As your power grows, so too does your territory. As you take more mates, it will grow too.

Kaylie returned to the conversation, occasionally mis-stepping as she was likely still getting used to seeing out of the fox's eyes.

Will I have my own territory?

No. Every Freiji has their own, until they mate, at which point they merge. They never separate. That's why it's a big deal in the families to get mated. It's forever.

Well, I don't mind that. Kaylie nuzzled into him as rubbed his snout along her neck.

This is just the tip of the iceberg, but enough for now to get you prepared. I would like to come see you, in the other realm, if you'd be alright with that.

Of course. We'd love to meet you. Kaylie's tail wagged swiftly behind her.

You have already taught us more than Niko and Elina.

Don't be too hard on her, Kal. She's probably following orders. She's sad and lonely. She'll help us, just give her some time.

Really? Elina? Sad? What happened? There was no way she broke that easily. Even being held captive wouldn't subdue her. Not unless....

Pasha shifted uncomfortably.

That had to be it. She'd been cut from the family to bring Kal in. Lukas, what a conniving bastard. Doing that to his own daughter, just to gain the upper hand against the other families.

Okay, sure. Pasha, we'd love to meet.

Alright, I'll stop by soon.

###

Chapter 32

Hana lay facing Kal, brushing his unruly morning hair with her fingers. His bleary eyes blinked open at her touch. She placed a kiss on his cheek and touched her forehead to his.

"Good morning, sleepyhead."

Kal yawned and grunted something as he wrapped his arms around her and pulled her close. She giggled as he snuggled her, his body warming hers.

"Are you feeling better?" she asked. "You were pretty down last night after your conversation with Natalie."

Kal grumbled into her neck.

"It's okay, you don't have to talk about it. I was just worried about you."

Kal sighed and gazed into her eyes.

"She's still not sure, neither of us are really. We want to be together, but she worries about not being a Freiji, and what that means for us. And I'm so afraid of hurting her again. It's just... complicated."

"It doesn't have to be. Even before you knew what you were, you wanted to be with her. Isn't that enough?"

"I want to believe so, but she needs to decide that."

Hana cuddled with him again, running her fingers down his back soothingly.

"Where's Kaylie?" he asked after a few minutes.

"Already up. She wanted to catch Melissa before she took off again. That girl's been staying out so late these days." Hana nipped his earlobe playfully. "That means I have you all to myself now. And I'm feeling kind of... breedable."

"Hana! When did you become such a little minx?" he asked with a chuckle.

Hana pressed her breasts against his chest, moaning softly into his ear. "When you filled me up the first time. It was the greatest feeling I'd ever had. I knew I was meant for you. Please, Kal? Stuff me full again."

Hana moaned louder as his teeth scratched along her sensitive neck. His arms pulled her tight, his hands grabbing hold of her firm buttocks and pressing her hips against his growing erection.

123456...8