All Comments on 'Calling the Stork'

by SouthernCrossfire

Sort by:
  • 15 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Great as expected! Looking forward to whatever you do next. 5*

keepercoach01keepercoach01almost 2 years ago

Very well done! 5* and thanks for sharing!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

The story is pretty well written. I liked the characters.

There’s a small error, but it doesn’t impact the story. The famous hotel in Philadelphia is the Bellevue Stratford, not Stratton.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bellevue-Stratford_Hotel.

TheDokTheDokalmost 2 years ago

Excellent story. 5*

As a point of information the myth of the stork delivering babies is thought to have evolved in Germany in the 18th or 19th centuries. Migrating stork numbers rose in Germany in the Spring following their arrival from Africa where they had spent the winter, and this coincided with the annual baby boom each spring 9 months after the prime baby making time of midsummer.

SouthernCrossfireSouthernCrossfirealmost 2 years agoAuthor

Author's Response: Thanks to all who've read this story and provided feedback and thanks to those who've read "My Sister's Love," the parallel/follow-up story (even though it was written first). Mary and Leo play significant parts in it.

.

And color me purple (and several shades of red), the Anonymous commenter is absolutely correct on the incorrect hotel name. I typed it incorrectly the first time (from the Wikipedia article even, having visited Philadelphia last year shortly after "My Sister's Love" was released) and then copied it once or twice more. What's really bad is that I misspelled Bellevue (as Bellvue), caught and corrected it, and didn't notice the completely incorrect second name! Oops! I'll correct in the master document in case anything else of significance is noted (one typo and one repeated word noted so far) and may submit the corrected copy someday.

Davester37Davester37almost 2 years ago

I loved it, of course. I’m a sucker for a period piece, and this one is well researched, with well developed, likable characters and a sweet story. There’s no real conflict, but the grief and anguish of the MC fills the bill. Her futile attempt to avoid falling in love again is conflict enough for this old romantic guy. I surely won’t quibble over the spelling of a hotel’s name! What’s not to like?

As always, thank you for writing and thank you for sharing your work.

SmuttyandfunSmuttyandfunalmost 2 years ago

5 Big Stars! What a compelling read. I really enjoyed this. Such a talented wordsmith, you write historical fiction so well. Loved the happy ending, too!

clearcreekclearcreekalmost 2 years ago

Well done as most of your writings have been. Your description of the marriage night brought to my memory of my great uncle showing me his brides wedding nights undergarments. They were designed to allow procreation, while saving her modesty. He laughted and admited that they were not worn for more than a few seconds. Both he and his bride laughed as they showed the unused garments. They were in thier 70's or early 80's at that time. 5

SouthernCrossfireSouthernCrossfirealmost 2 years agoAuthor

Thanks again to all who are reading this and to those who take time to leave comments. Those always help.

.

ADDITIONAL HISTORICAL NOTE:

On going back through this recently, I discovered I inadvertently left out one of my historical notes. According to “American Nurses in World War I,” an article by Marian Moser Jones for PBS.org, “Over 22,000 professionally-trained female nurses were recruited by the American Red Cross to serve in the U.S. Army between 1917 and 1919.” According to Jones, some of these served with American units of the British and French armies. She also noted that “Although Allied military leaders wanted to keep the (female) nurses far from danger, they soon realized that many more combatants’ lives could be saved if wounds were first treated near the front rather than at far-away base hospitals.” Since Mary and her friends were among the early arrivals, even before most American troops, a posting in England or far from the front in France would have been likely .

OvercriticalOvercriticalover 1 year ago

Two love stories for the price of one! You could argue that Mary fell in love easily and often, but as portrayed, she was a very caring person and resisted romance until it overwhelmed her. i did find it somewhat off-putting that she didn't mention Henry at all after she met Leo. She certainly did better in her second romance, but a first love doesn't get erased in memory all that easily. The whole story only cover a year and a half and Mary manages to fall in love and get engaged to two men in about a year. Henry gets lost rather quickly. Technically the story was good: good plot development (despite the rapid progression of two love affairs), the character development was good, good dialog and grammar. Somehow I didn't spot either typos or misuse of the me/I pronoun problem endemic in Literotica authors. 5* for a good read.

ThefirefliesThefirefliesover 1 year ago

Excellent writing and storytelling. Well done. I regret not reading it earlier, but will now continue on to your other two WW1 epics. And of course, 5 stars!

Tall78701Tall78701about 1 year ago

First, let me say I loved the story. You do have a knack for spinning a tale, and I love the historical aspect of the story. Your stories seem to be far more romantic than most of what I read on Literotica and as you seem to end your stories with the HEA (happy ever after), you could probably sell them as Romance Novels. My only other comments are, it's a little longer than most Literotica postings and milder in sexual content compared to most. But very romantic and an excellent story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

A great story. Thank you!!!

OldmantruckerOldmantrucker2 months ago

💯💯💯💯💯👍👍👍👍👍🛐🛐🙋🙋😂😉🤷👋😁🫂🙋🙋

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userSouthernCrossfire@SouthernCrossfire
1032 Followers
4/4/24 Update: "Crossed Paths," a story of old friends reuniting, was recently published for the Wicked Games challenge, in which everything isn't as it seems. Hope you'll read and enjoy! If you're looking for something older, you might try "The Valentine's Dance," a late 1...

SIMILAR Stories