Callsign Amarok Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I...I miss my family, each and every fucking day." The Phantom coiled his face into a scowl and stared straight into the eyes of his offender.

"Madness that would only die if my enemies were dead." Pressing more forcefully.

"So trust me when I say, 'I know exactly how you feel'. But this won't earn any pity from me." Orion softened the barrel end of his gun into skin.

"Because I don't even have enough for myself." Rubbing his own bruised throat.

The man underneath sent a pained look, relaxing himself into a loose state. Orion got up and peered down at his recent opponent. Both defeated and exhausted.

Viewing the remaining wolves around him, they were sheepish and disinclined to resume acting agitated.

The Phantom holstered his pistol and waved at his team to come forth.

Luckily Orion hadn't developed PTSD from that fateful evening but it would remain fresh in his mind. Dreaming about every little detail from the smell, blood, bodies and each injury sustained, through a vengeful rage. The addictive freedom he fell for, granting bloodlust and gratuitous gratification.

Malice that would rise to the surface of his skin like another creature. Rage to quick to control; unnerving and dangerous. Containment of such emotion felt like blood threatening to drop from the tip of a blade. It was a blinding vehemence, which terrified Orion, more-so than remembering what happened back in the Congo.

"I....." The lupine warrior weakly raised himself up and morphed. A wolf with ears down and tail tucked between his hinds limped away.

Avery, Dan, and Tim frowned at him, lowering their weapons.

The team was informed on what happened in Africa, acknowledging that it was an extremely sensitive topic for Orion. Never mentioning it around him; worrying that he would do something horrible to himself, or others.

Their skepticism quickly dissipated however. Catching him work even harder, proving that he was always thinking about the mission and each of their well beings. Always maintaining a professional attitude and sharp mind, Orion was looked upon proudly.

Pac assisted Orion back to his feet and they proceeded closer to the captive werewolf.

With a film of water coating his eyes, threatening to break surface tension. Orion huffed and squinted, shaking away the half empty feeling of loss. The team leader had to suck it up and focus on what to do next.

3 wolves slowly approached to offer condolences and Dan raised his weapon at them. Avery joined his brother in staring them down, stopping them dead in their tracks. They humbled themselves and backed off.

Aurora moved closer and reached out for her mate's shoulder. Albeit timorous of his previously cold attitude.

"A..Amarok..?"

Just when he was in reach, he flinched away from her touch.

The lupine's heart stung and her eyes became glossy.

Orion observed her and shook his head. This outburst was dangerous and if she couldn't keep them in line. They would find themselves more at odds with one another.

"Keep your wolves at a distance for the time being." He advised and left her alone.

She stood in the clearing alone and worried. Anxiety formed in her heart as the she-wolf chastised herself.

'Please don't...I..I'm sorry.''

"Get his ass up and move him towards the crash." Orion grabbed his bag, carrying it over while Tim and Pac dragged the prisoner by the cord binding his legs.

They hauled him to the wreckage with the rest of the fireteam in tow, shielding Orion from the rest of the werewolves.

Setting down their captive and moving to take up a defensive stance. Pac, Tim and Dan watched the wolves and blocked their view of Orion. After that confrontation they didn't have any trust for the animals, worrying that another outburst of emotion could result in serious injury,

Or death.

IIIIIIIIIIIIIII

===Chapter 30 Loss of A Battle Buddy

At the arsenal crate Orion took a knee and propped his M39 on the ground. Unscrewing and stripping off the surviving PEQ and thermal optic.

"Did it serve you well?" Footsteps came up from behind. He peaked back and saw one of his teammates.

Avery glanced around and down at his friend, hoping to hear a light hearted answer.

"No, it was a piece of shit." Orion stated with a straight face, storing a thermal scope in a side pouch.

Avery knew he was being sarcastic, but on rare occasions caught his friend inspecting the gun in somber. After returning home from overseas, the Phantom always cleaned his rifle with sorrow.

Orion regarded Avery and presented the bent marksman rifle at him.

"Never jammed on me. Saved my life more than once." He informed in warmth.

Avery let go of his weapon and crossed his arms, observing his friend's farewell. Laying the rifle on the pile of other weapons, Orion placed a hand and whispered.

"Without it, no one would ever remember the ghosts who risked everything for more than themselves." Smoothing out gloved fingers over precious material.

"Goodbye old friend....and thanks." Flashbacks played, recounting a range day with his old Phantom buddies. Managing to best all of them with the help of his rifle.

"Avery, get Tim; tell him to pick a second primary and replace him." Orion stood up and moved towards the arsenal box.

Avery walked over and informed the gunner, taking his position on guard detail.

Tim held his SAW by the carry handle and met up with Orion. He propped the weapon by the crate and began rummaging around.

"Boss?" The gunner asked.

Orion heard a growl echo from behind and observed his men remain calm. A white wolf snarled and held the werewolf who attacked her mate. She had her jaws around his neck and used a front paw to tip him onto the ground.

It whined and whimpered in submission.

'.....'

"What is it?" Orion peeked back at Tim.

"You think she has a hold of them?" The gunner placed his hands on the crate, regarding the wolves.

"They're most likely under her command. She was the first to attack and rode me without anyone's say-so." Scratching his forehead.

Tim couldn't help but chuckle at Orion's info.

"And what do you think of her?" His tone deepened and the Phantom knew his teammate was in a sour mood.

"What I think doesn't matter. Getting choked and hung from my neck wasn't ideal for first impressions. Her control and discipline is lacking, but we can't judge...yet." Orion gestured to a tied up man on the ground.

"You think he knows something?" Tim received a noticeable nod.

"By the looks the wolves gave him, this is personal." Valid point to view their situation more delicately. They've inadvertently stepped onto their property and now a small or large scale conflict.

Tim held the opening of the crate tighter, carefully looked around and focused back on Orion.

"Then what are we going to do about it?" Both glanced at the wolves.

Light plastered on Orion's face and he blocked it with a hand. Between his fingers were wolves hovering around a grave battlefield.

"Staying neutral and passing by isn't an option. Besides, we need intel on wherever the hell we are."

Tim shook his head and lightly tapped the crate.

"You've kept us together so far... I trust you." The gunner looked down at his M249.

"Thanks Tim." Orion appreciated it.

"Oh, wasn't talking to you sir. Just an LMG beside me, haha." The gunner gave 2 pats to the belt-fed beside him.

"Avery's infecting you isn't he?" Orion, still staring at the bodies, received a soft slap on the arm.

"Keep an eye on that girl. I saw you wanting her hehe... If it was anyone else you would've rolled her off and screamed 'crazy bitch'." Orion guessed Tim was unsoured and rubbed the back of his helmet in embarrassment.

"Don't blame her too much, it doesn't end well with women."

Tim's squad leader crossed his arms and whistled a crescendoing pitch at the wolves. All of them, including the rest of the fireteam, turned their heads towards him.

Orion sent Avery a dismissive wave stating that his whistle wasn't meant for them. They resumed watch while a white wolf released its hold on another, moved around and peeked past Pac.

He gave a faint smile and soft eyes for her to relax. The snow colored animal flicked her tail and pawed the ground, whining.

"roo...."

She wanted him close to her. The animal took a step forward and was blocked. Pac had placed a hand out in front of her and gave his team leader a pitiful expression.

Orion sighed and turned around.

"It takes a lot for me to blame or hate anyone. She's fine. I'm just giving everyone time to cool down and adapt. Since...well, you know, we fought and killed a bunch of them."

"Good point." Tim smiled.

His team leader tapped him to hurry and select a gun.

"We've burned enough time chatting. Choose a weapon from the box or pile. I'm gonna need another primary after you're done."

The gunner rummaged through the box for a while, nearly reaching the bottom. Nothing caught his eye so he moved to the pile.

Instantly, he reached out and grasped the barrel end of a Gol Magnum sniper rifle chambered in 338 Lapua Magnum.

"Sure about that?" Orion inquired with a doubtful expression.

Tim was a crack shot with almost any sniper he got his hands on, but Orion remained skeptical at his choice. The long rifle didn't pair well with the SAW.

"Mmhh...You should know that I like to trade with the twins sometimes." Gently laying his SAW on its bipod and carefully inspecting the sniper. Already equipped with a bipod, high powered scope and carbon black finish on the chassis.

'That's right, before going on Ops, guy occasionally switched with someone else if he didn't feel comfortable with his current setup. Usually Dan or Avery. Rarely traded with Pac and I never swapped with him.' Orion thought.

"I convinced Drake to let me trade my 249 with his Banshee, depending on whatever happens. He's used this thing before." Tim nudged the LMG with his foot.

"Well that was unexpected. SMG does combos well with either weapon you have." Orion gestured to the SAW propped on the ground.

Tim turned his attention back to his new rifle inspecting it once more, shouldering the gun, pulling back the bolt and looking through the scope.

"Can't wait to use this. Just gotta zero this in and we'll be good to go." Tim walked back towards the arsenal box, grabbed multiple boxes of Magnum rounds and moved to sit against the downed helicopter.

'The VA has determined that your back pain is not service related.'

It was finally Orion's turn to pick up 2 weapons after losing his rifle. He glanced back at his broken firearm one last time and reached down into the box. Picturing exactly what was going to replace it.

Reaching down, Orion pulled out an enhanced Remington ACR. In its current configuration there were 3 rail mounts built into the handguard for attachments and MBUS iron sights on top.

Orion began applying items to the assault rifle: An Eotech holographic sight with a magnifier, vertical foregrip, a Surefire flashlight on the right side of the handguard, and PEQ laser device on the top rail near the frontsight.

Attaching 2 picatinny pressure switches to the PEQ and Surefire, sliding it on the bare left railing. In doing so, he could toggle the light or laser modes with his thumb. Thus switching on those devices with ease.

Orion secured the ACR to his backpack and went to retrieve multiple 30 and 60 round high capacity magazines. He laid them down in front of the crate and pulled out an ammo box full of black tip 5.56x45mm.

After setting the box down next to the magazines, he ripped open pouches on his vest and tossed whatever M39 mags he had near the weapons pile.

Later, placing his back against the arsenal crate and sinking onto the cold ground. He peered over the magazines, picked one up and began loading.

'What the hell have we gotten ourselves into?'

IIIIIIIIIIIIIII

===Chapter 31 Understanding

Focusing in Tim's direction and discovering him missing. Orion swayed his view over to 4 soldiers on watch duty.

The gunner had finished setting up his new sniper and returned to the line of soldiers, staring down the wolves. Among them was a white wolf holding a cloak in her mouth.

Avery looked over at his team leader, who waved a hand to let her pass.

He moved, letting the ivory beast walk by and watched as it peeked back, sending a curt nod to the humans.

The rest gave the large animal soft eyes and briskly resumed watch. All except Dan had taken off their NODS, storing them back in their bags.

Orion observed the wolf moving towards him: ears down, head low and tail steady. Within a few feet away, it leveled its head and stared at him warily.

Deciding that there was inadequate info, he took off his gloves and stuck out a hand, allowing the animal to get more comfortable around him. A little while of sniffing went by and the wolf dropped the cloak, moving to Orion's side carefully.

It was skittish from his demeaning attitude earlier and jumped back at any large movement. Still, it wanted to get close and lent the human a cheek. He began scratching the side of her head and underneath her chin. Behind the wolf, a big fluffy tail began wagging excitedly.

A corner of his lip curled into an amused smile.

She lowered herself on all fours and laid her head in Orion's lap, huffing in contentment.

He started feeling uneasy about the way he responded after that brawl. She'd moved to hopefully comfort him but was brushed off like nothing.

It wasn't her fault in a sense but she probably didn't know any better. His own world was vast and numerous, engagement was strict or loose depending on circumstances. They just treated people differently.

Nonetheless Orion couldn't blame her or that lupine for their behavior. Tensions were high and the Phantom knew what he had done for vengeance. How many bodies he buried that night.

And more afterwards.

'Geneva...what a joke.' Orion looked over at the prisoner. He didn't care much for the convention of human rights in an on-going war.

Sure, maintaining your morals and keeping yourself sane was important. Yet when the dust settles, it leaves destruction and life-long grudges for all. The aftermath of mayhem would sprout scapegoats, constructed out of losers of war.

And the victors? Not so much.

Switching his view to his team, studying each of their gear and camo. No insignia or visible identification was present.

Of course there wasn't, the team was Black Ops and off the grid. Sometimes they would help civilians and enemies, but habitually stayed away from assisting anyone. Almost all of the time, it depended on the situation.

Stroking the white wolf's head, Orion exhaled and spoke regretfully.

"I'm sorry for hurting your packmate and telling you off."

The animal adjusted her head and body in his lap looking up at him with shine.

'Why is he apologizing?' She was mystified.

"You need to understand that I come from a different place than yours. I still follow some rules that keep myself and my friends out of trouble. Laws in our society that are put there to keep everyone safe and in order. Some, I don't agree with but we follow them regardless, to sleep well at night."

He looked down at the animal and sighed.

Orion, aware that becoming intimate with the opposite sex could have dire consequences. Told himself that if he had a girl that was close to him, she would become a target and potential liability.

Even so, the she-wolf had power and the respect of those hardened animals. A woman that earned the respects of men alongside her on the battlefield was not to be trifled with.

His training and experiences learned from previous encounters told him to avoid her at all cost. Past heartbreak and acceptance of loneliness made it more apparent.

The soldier continued petting her and glanced at his teammates. All of them had their guns down and watched wolves nudging and whimpering. Mourning friends that fought and died, giving their lives to protect the humans.

Dan peaked back at his team leader and delivered a weak look. Orion knew what he was thinking, along with the rest of the team. Everyone acknowledged their sacrifices and mentally fought on whether to help or not. Turning away and refusing was an imprudent choice among the humans.

Even if Orion ordered them to pack up and leave, they would refute. Especially now that a woman had trained her sights on their lonely little Phantom.

Orion looked down at the animal in his lap.

'She risked her own safety and the lives of her people to help us. She rode me and said I was her's. Did she really mean that?' He felt a connection, something himself or science couldn't explain. Like his whole being was softly humming and a weight he didn't know was lifted off his shoulders.

Right now she was the best source of intel and information in regards to what was happening around here.

Orion kept a noticeable gut feeling to future concerns. If he couldn't get it out of his system then doubt would affect him later on. But the same goes for early and reckless endangerment of commitment now.

Not wanting to take advantage of her, he opted to do something drastic instead.

"I don't know if your affection for me was spur of the moment or something else." A worried whine answered.

Her reaction was foreign to Orion and he continued, needing to know how far she would go for him and prove her resolve.

"Then remember what you said 'Wherever this takes us, I will stand by you no matter what happens.'." The wolf gave out a whimper and pawed at his chest.

Orion zeroed in on her with swift intent.

"Then I expect you to do that and not push or run away when things get difficult. Because if you do." Holding her neck and squeezing ever so gently.

"I'll come for you, until you make me understand your actions and moments leading up to that point."

Orion released and started rubbing under her jaw. A while later the wolf got up and licked his bruised neck a couple of times. It transformed into a beautiful woman and she bear-hugged Orion.

"You are mine and I am yours Aurora. Your...mate above all else."

He paused and finished his statement.

"Please....don't make me regret letting you take my heart." Orion didn't know if what he felt was love or lust.

Aurora gently sobbed in Orion's neck. He gave her headpats and wrapped his arms around her.

"I...I...can't....promise..anything...." She struggled to talk through sniffles and hiccups.

Anxiety had fully grown into guilt and regret deep within herself. Hearing Orion's questionable tone and doubt hurt her. However, hearing his apology and willingness to have her flushed all of it, crafting soft solace inside her belly.

Aurora slowed her breathing and addressed Orion with tears streaming from her delicate face.

"I have my wolf....and she has a mind of her own, all lupines have. But she's a temperamental one and she will challenge your resolve. If she pushes, you have to push back or she won't respect you enough to care. Remember that whatever happens..." Stifling her sniffles.

"I..I won't leave you." The she-wolf held on tight.

"So don't you ever do the same. Push and run, or I'll hunt you till the ends of these lands to find you." Aurora finished ruefully.

Orion grabbed a piece of cloth and wiped underneath her eyes, next proceeding to clear snot from her nose.

"I wouldn't have it any other way." He kissed her gently.

She enjoyed her mate's lips and tongue for a while until she noticed his neck. The hand print stained him and made her uncomfortable. Aurora angled her head down and tipped her head up while messing with straps.

Orion quirked a brow, taking his helmet and headset off. Soon a moist and wet tongue began lapping and sucking his neck roughly.

It was an odd but weirdly comforting action.

123456...8