Callsign Amarok Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I quickly picked up the bags and thanked her for reminding me.

"You're with Daws?" She asked.

"Yes, miss. Very new to this place, any advice?" She smiled, joking about insect bites giving malaria and not to eat fruits laying on the ground.

We both shared a smile.

"Are you a medic on break?" The girl beamed, eyeing me up and down.

"No not at all, I'm part of Red Cross. Staff is short, so I'm filling in on reception duty." She did a goofy salute and I chuckled.

Her hands collected a strand of hair, twirling and twisting. "What about you?"

"Combat medic and resident trauma surgeon, I was just curious about the patch you had."

"Ooo a resident, maybe I should have given you some medical advice." Shelly formed a coy smile and I felt a little off set from her tone.

Daws yelled for me down the hall and we both jumped.

"Better get going Phantom. Come back when you have time and tell me some stories." She winked and gestured for me to scram.

I said my goodbyes and walked around the halls. The corridors were getting longer and longer, I yelled out for Daws or any other teammates for that matter.

Seconds of bone chilling silence responded and I made my way back to Shelly with another woman standing there.

She was extraordinarily beautiful; deep green eyes pierced through mine and raven hair flowed down her sides, her other assets were no joke either.

"A...Amarok?"

Sharp pain sparked through my head and memories flooded me in an instant.

"ARGH!" I fell down and my vision faded away.

A smell of flesh and blood with stinging gunpowder covered the air. My body felt moist as I awoke in a pile of bodies with my pistol in hand and knife in the other. Daws laid beside me and I heard the warlord's repeated taunt.

My body was on autopilot and I made my last stand, but there was no sound of air support.

7 men stood behind me with AK's raised.

A growl grew from past the militants and they turned.

An enormous black wolf with silver eyes had spotted the men in front of it. They all whipped their weapons around and opened fire.

=SHIT!=

The wolf made quick work of them, ripping limbs and mauling each and every one of the men apart.

I slumped back on the bodies of my fallen brothers and raised my Five Seven at the beast.

It turned on me and glared with ghastly beads. The animal advanced towards me with its head low as blood dripped from its mouth.

3 men appeared from behind it and charged at the beast. I hesitantly opened fire and dropped all of them.

The animal's steel gaze did not waver however and my hands shook from its presence. I had to lower my weapon.

'This is it isn't it? I'm gonna get fuckin eatin.' I thought to myself and huffed, closing my eyes and awaited the killing bite.

...

Nothing happened.

...

Resonating splashes paired with a flowing stream soothed my mind. My eyes opened again and my surroundings had changed. There was a tiny waterfall and a lake in front of me. My strength had returned and I slowly raised myself up.

Aurora's Oasis.

A deep rumble came from behind me and the black wolf was there again. Although different this time: shadowy tendrils flowed off its body and its initial size had shrunk in half. I raised my pistol with renewed energy and aimed.

It did not move.

Instead of firing I wanted to run and hide but I sensed that this animal would find me again no matter the circumstance.

"You here to kill me?" I asked.

The wolf remained in place and pawed the ground. I inched forward even if it was a dumb decision.

It lowered its head and the threaded barrel of my pistol laid against a furry temple. I had every chance to shoot and kill this thing but my heart didn't allow it. For some reason, against better judgement and normal behaviour, a sorrowful sense, reminiscent like one that appears every time I've lost someone precious, connected me to this thing. I felt sorry for the animal and I couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger. I holstered my pistol, standing at the mercy of the beast before me.

Lifting its head, the wolf gazed into my eyes and I raised my hand above its ears. It sniffed and licked my fingers. My other hand waited beside its head and it leaned into my touch. I stroked the sides of a furry face, neck and moved to the back of its tail.

As I moved and curved his body to touch his tail it backed away and lunged at me. The lupine transformed into black smoke, striking particles against my chest.

Static filled me and I lost consciousness.

===Special Chapter)

(Orion's childhood, 15 years ago)

A warm hand caressed my cheek as I laid in bed. A full moon shone through the cabin window as my grandma sat next to me, book in hand.

"Will the wolves be out tonight?"

The lady next to me closed her book, laying it on a table and took off her reading glasses.

"Correct." She got up and moved to close the blinds.

"W...will they walk around again?" A gentle smile appeared on her face as I asked.

"Yes, the moon is in bloom and 2 wolves will prowl the village. No one has been attacked or hurt by them. Remember, we regard them as protectors of our home." She moved next to me and closed the small lamp which kept the room alight.

My grandmother tucked me in and I was beginning to fall asleep.

"Sleep well, I have to wash up." The door closed behind her and I stared up at a wooden ceiling.

My eyes shut and I tried falling asleep. An anxious wave spread throughout my chest and cold sweat started to form.

Huge plumes of wind hit silk blinds hanging from the window. Something black and white flew in and I ducked under the covers. What felt like hours passed and 2 things began sniffing at my head. A tiny stick-like hand settled on the top of me and I peeked an eye open.

There was a ginormous white wolf staring down at me. I quickly tucked the blanket over my head and sank into my protective layer.

A confused whine appeared from above and a paw tried digging me out from my cover. The sensation was tickling my side and I popped out of the covers giggling.

"Hahaha!" I hooked a hand over my eyes and slowly spread my fingers, showing 2 great wolves: white and black.

"Wolves!" Both animals shared a peep with each other and turned towards me, tilting their heads cutely. A tongue stuck out from both of them and they panted softly.

My head copied their tilts and I angled to look them in the eyes.

"Hi, I'm Orion, what're your names?" The white one looked around my room meanwhile the dark wolf stared straight into my eyes. We engaged in a staring contest and I had to blink.

Blacky heckled at my misfortune and inched closer. It began rubbing against me and I took the chance to pet the adorable creature.

"Grandma was right! You're our protectors!" The affectionate wolf took a step back and began shivering, black lines of smoke flowed towards me.

Darkness swallowed the room and after a few seconds moonlight returned.

The black wolf had disappeared, leaving me with a white one that was coddling up next me. I wrapped my arms around its neck and drifted into a restful night.

"Goodnight my wolf."

IIIIIIIIIIIIIII

===Chapter 88 Comfort

(Present time)

A bright warmth struck my face and I grumbled in annoyance.

Something wet and coarse lapped at my face, forcing me awake. I creaked open my eyelids unable to make anything out. It was blurry and I made out a white body with two specks of green decorating a head. My body laid on a cloth board, feeling weak and light headed. An IV flowed into my arm and I was bare from the waist-up.

My vision eventually cleared and the white morphed into a figure of a woman.

"Orion!" Aurora held my hand and a tongue licked needily. I found enough strength to reach out and stroke her cheek.

"Hey little wolf, what happened?" She ignored my question and hugged me. Tears welled up in her eyes and small hiccups were heard.

A set of footsteps approached quickly.

"Holy shit, he's awake! Guys, get the hell over here!" Dan yelled.

I stroked Aurora's back while the whole squad gathered around me. She stifled her worry and peered straight into me with her wolf eyes. I stared back for a moment before her lips greeted mine.

"Your eyes are silver!" Tim blurted as everyone settled around us. Idril and Eiko both appeared last and the kitsune sat next to me. Vulpine ears which had decorated her scalp were missing as well as her tail, replaced by human features.

Aurora considered the fox and nodded to her before leaning up from me. Eiko gently approached and she laid a hand against my chest.

She closed her eyes and a warmth grew in my stomach.

"The spirit has mended with his soul quite well." She backed away, sharing a look of understanding with my lupine and Aurora returned to my side.

Pac replaced Eiko's spot and shined a flashlight in my iris.

"Damn, how long are you going to flash me for? You trying to make me go blind?" He shut off his light and pulled out my stethoscope, listening to my chest. Aurora helped me lean forward and Pac placed the cold object against my spine.

"Problem?" Avery inquired. The pilot took stock of my lungs and put away the listening device. Next, he handed me a small reflective lens.

I took it, spying my own reflection; eyes the same old brown.

"How do you feel?" Pac asked.

I moved my head, fingers, arms, neck, and anything else that was vital for daily duties.

"Besides drowsy, sticky all over and slow on movement. Fantastic, and my eyes aren't silver." Informing everyone present.

Dan shook his head and Aurora nuzzled her head in my neck. I stroked her back and put my other hand around her waist.

"Anyone going to tell me what happened? How long was I out?"

Idril took a step forward. She explained the past 2 nights after my abrupt collapse at the bandit camp.

"How is he doing right now Pac?" Avery walked over, patting me on the shoulder.

"Breathing is good, heart rate sounds stable and he doesn't have a fever. The cold sweats had me worried but if he's lucid and complaining about being sticky, I think we're in the clear." My stomach growled and my mouth felt dry. The IV stuck in me sustained my body with a lot of fluid, lessening a need for water.

"I will retrieve some meat from Aurora's kill. Eiko come along." Idril and Eiko turned and left.

A pause stilled the area and the team glanced with one another.

Avery broke the silence and inquired. "What's the last thing you remember?"

I imagined what happened nights ago and tried recalling from memory.

"I remember exiting the tent and from there, everything is a little hazy. Last thing that I registered was a black shadow flying at me." Aurora nipped my neck affectionately and closed her eyes, cuddling me close.

Everyone peeked at my lying body with a woman atop of me. They shared a look for a group of huddling elves and one lamia.

"You should know, that girl of yours stayed awake 2 nights straight and cared for you. The fevers and cold sweats had you shaking a day ago." Avery told me as he took a few steps back.

"Think you can take command after a night's worth of proper rest?"

I placed a hand over my forehead and checked my own temperature. Everything was normal from what I could tell.

"We'll see in the morning, if not then you resume command. Also Tim, are you sure my eyes changed color?"

The gunner nodded and the rest agreed.

"What was it about my soul mending?"

Aurora peeked at me.

"My wolf and her fox sensed your soul in distress while you were sleeping."

"Help me u-" I tried getting up but Aurora pressed me back down. She held my cheeks and stared into my eyes with visible bags under hers.

"Rest Amarok. You will not exert yourself after the harsh nights I endured for you. I don't want you to collapse again." My lupine huffed pleadingly and hugged me.

"Orion, get some rest. Everyone else has been on guard. The elves are helping out so you can relax. We'll see what your condition is in the morning." Avery notified and walked away.

"Dan and I are heading out to check the perimeter, chief. Your equipment is next to you. All of your magazines were repacked by Aurora and Idril cleaned your gear."

"Also, you can rip out the IV once it's dried up." Dan and Tim nodded before vanishing into the surrounding shrubbery.

Idril and Eiko came back with a small basket of meat and vegetables, including a canteen.

"Here, I'll leave this for you to eat Orion. Eiko will stay with you if you return to that horrible state. Aurora will keep you company and care for you." The royal elf bowed and partnered up with Pac, leaving a kitsune and lupine with me.

I regarded Eiko while Aurora rubbed her own head against me.

"So is my soul alright? Will this happen again?" I asked the kitsune and she crouched down next to me. Aurora moved, feeding me food and water from the basket whilst I held her in my arms.

A light blush crossed the fox woman's face and she stared for a second before responding.

"When you were lying on the ground, your mate and I sensed your distress. Almost as if you were fighting something fiercely. For the first night I lent some of my power to spare you from added pain. Your body grew more ill unless she held you close." Aurora peeked up and licked the side of my ear.

Eiko rubbed her arms and legs together nervously, then peeped at Aurora.

"C...can I stay with him tonight? With you?" She asked.

Aurora hmphed and gestured for her to get close. I curled an eyebrow for both females.

"Uhm, did I miss something while I was unconscious?" Eiko saddled up next to me and placed her head on my shoulder as I laid back down.

Aurora hugged me tighter and whispered in my other ear.

"I...it hurt to watch you in such pain. Eiko gave away some of her energy to soothe your soul and help your body. She's weak and vulnerable for a while so she has to stay with us." The lupine pouted while nuzzling my neck.

"I needed you to be alright, I was scared and worried for 2 nights. She asked me for permission because I was so protective over you." Aurora snuggled, noticing as Eiko spied us.

She kissed me and I put my forehead to hers. My eyelids sagged and I tried forcing them open.

"Sleep my mate, my love, my Amarok." I drifted off to Aurora's soothing presence.

'I love you.'

IIIIIIIIIIIIIII

===Chapter 89 Nausea

With a plate carrier hanging over me, I let it fall onto my shoulders and connected the straps together. Next I checked my rifle and pistol, later taking stock of my backpack and rig's contents.

Footsteps came from behind me.

"You fit to take charge?" Avery asked.

I wore my helmet and racked the slide on my ACR.

"Ask me in an hour or so, my neck is a little sore, same with my arm. Eiko and Aurora snuggled in real close last night." Twisting and rubbing my muscles to alleviate some aching stiffness.

The soldier chuckled. "I'll handle everyone until you think you're fit again."

I gave him a nod and an appreciative wave.

"I'm leaving my weapons on safe." Avery accepted my behaviour without second thought. He was well trained and talented in leading especially amongst his current teammates. Whenever arguments or disagreements broke out, he was always a mediator between everybody and extremely practical for the most part.

However when it came to tough or morally gray calls, he left most of them to me. This didn't make him a bad leader but if hesitation showed then it could contribute to devastating consequences.

From what I had gathered by reading his portfolio profile, he'd experienced prideful command and it led to lots of bad calls in the past.

Dead friendlies and civilians probably played a part in his reluctance to undertake a more permanent leadership role. With his past came a dark time in his life and since becoming a part of this team he got better.

On our first meeting he kept mostly everything under a professional cover. Eventually shedding that robotic persona once his brother and him met.

He always displayed a determined and knowledgeable grasp of chaotic situations. Coupling his ability to act under pressure and quick shot calling capabilities, it led to him becoming second command next to me. Avery found no problem with second and embraced the position with dignity. Although never hesitating to take temporary leadership, he'd always hand command back to me at the earliest.

"Alright, hurry up. We've burned enough time waitin for your ass to get the deluxe recovery treatment." He snarked.

I pulled myself up and a big wolf bumped into me.

"Need something?" The large canine licked my fingers and rubbed herself against my abdomen.

My hand slid over her head and ears before I put gloves on.

"Awo." She panted happily and remained close as we reconvened with the main group.

"Greetings Orion, it is wonderful to see you well." Nerrisa flicked her tail up at me and shook it.

"Morning Nerrisa, did that thermal blanket work?"

A warm smile spread across her lips and she nodded.

"It was simply amazing, for once in my life I did not require the constant heat of a fire. It kept me warm on the cold forest floors throughout the night... I have already returned it back to that blonde fellow." She gestured to Pac who was chatting with the rest of the squad.

Soon someone tapped me on the shoulder and I turned to see who it was.

"We're about ready to go." Avery and I turned to address the group on the journey ahead.

"Alright listen up! Our group is heading out in 2 minutes. Those who wish to stay with us are going to elven lands. Those who do not, will be free to go on your own and travel to the lupine Aspen Pack for sanctuary. The hostile Pack known as the Mjolnir Pack has been dealt with and if you wish to go there, tell the alpha that Orion or Aurora sent you."

Idril approached, informing us of the individuals who wished to leave and stay.

Tim, Pac and Dan walked up to us, awaiting instructions.

"Avery has the trigger for the time being until I'm 100% that I can resume command." Everyone nodded and in 2 minutes we were saying our goodbyes to those who left.

All of the elves stayed while Lily and Lillian had left to travel to Aspen territory, bidding our convoy farewell.

Hours went by as we continued past the burnt out bandit camp and down the dirt path. A wave of dizziness hit, making me tilt a little to the right and wolfy nudged me back up.

Nerrisa held her tail out so I could steady myself but I shook my head and continued walking.

"Are you alright Orion?" She asked.

I moved a hand off of my helmet and rubbed the bridge of my nose.

"For now. Thanks for asking." Waving her tail off and pulling out a small bag containing a heated blanket. I handed it to her and she stared at me curiously.

"Why are you giving me thissss?" She hissed.

"Consider this an act of kindness and good faith. You probably need it more than I do. Besides, I'm used to being cold." I smiled at her and she smiled back.

"Thank you again, for this and all that you have done." She slowed and slithered back into the drove of elves.

Pac walked alongside and made his presence known.

"You sure giving that to her is smart?" I tapped my bag and smirked at him.

"I carry spares, thermal blankets aren't too heavy and they don't take up much space." He gave me a questionable look and I shook my head.

"That 'gift' is incentive for when we cross paths with her again... and besides." A wolf beside my leg peeked up at us and I gestured a thumb at the animal.

"I have her." I returned Aurora's innocent but acknowledging stare with a pet on the head.

Shaking his head, Pac huffed in a satisfied manner before holding my shoulder.

"Remember to take care of yourself." The pilot advised, resuming his patrol pattern.

A while later I had to steady myself again and Aurora kept me from falling. My eyesight, smell and hearing became extremely suppressed and a nauseating headache swept through me. I dropped to a knee and the group stopped.