Can it be Rebuilt

Story Info
An affair. Broken, lost, he had to face her again. Shock.
23.2k words
3.67
17.4k
36
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This is a work of fiction. It may not happen in your world but in this story it does.

A good marriage blew up due to a predator who hit on his wife when she was left depressed following a dream going wrong. Her angst affected them both until he discovered her cheating. He left before he would have killed her. Later, they had to talk as neither were in a good place. How would they react? Can it be repaired?

This is not a BTB.

I had what I thought was a pretty good life. I had a good job in a field I loved. It was well paid by any standard so allowed me quite a few luxuries. The one downside was that every three months I had to spend a week away from home as the firm wished all their research managers to interact which they felt built better relationships. This was true but in addition it also meant we learned of ways the others may have found around any blocks holding up our own advancements. So, it was a win-win for the company.

At one time my wife of ten years, Margaret would join me when she was able but in the last year she felt she could achieve more remaining at home rather than sitting in a hotel room or shopping for nothing she actually needed. I pointed out she had made friends with many of the other wives and husbands. Their evenings out were far more raucous than our work parties ones. For the last year, she remained at home citing her increased responsibilities in her job.

I had arrived home early. The presentations had finished early and I managed to catch an earlier flight. I tried to contact Margaret to let her know but she never answered her phone which was unusual. I took a taxi home. I was confused as her car was in the drive so why hadn't she answered her phone? I let myself in quietly as I normally do. It's just a habit, not wanting to distract people at work on sensitive apparatus.

Now I was standing behind her as she stood on our patio speaking with a friend describing how her morning with her lover had been. I felt mortally wounded. My breathing was shallow as my heart raced.

The words hurt so much! I, Mr Unflappable - wanted to FUCKING KILL HER!

Whatever her friend said Margaret replied, "I know it would crush him if he ever found out. It's just so exciting. He makes me feel young again. The sex is energetic, lively. I do things with him I've never done before. It's a completely different me."

There was silence before Margaret continued, "I can't lose Dan. He's my rock. I'll love him until I die. I just need my lover to make me feel again. Dan's lovemaking is good but unimaginative."

There was more silence then, "I've been rowing with Dan since just before Darren and I hooked up. Dan and I haven't made love in weeks, months. I've turned my back on him. Our relationship is falling apart which is the last thing I want. I can tell he's mad at me and doesn't believe me when we speak. I don't know what to do."

Whatever her friend said didn't go down well, "I can't divorce Dan. I need him, he makes me whole. I do love him. I just need Darren for a little longer so I can feel again."

Margaret finished the call, "I have to go change, shower before I pick Dan up from the airport. I'll have to think of an excuse as I never answered his calls. I can't tell him I was fucking Darren."

I screamed, "YOU JUST HAVE; YOU FUCKING WHORE!"

She turned as she dropped her phone. Her face was white. She was shocked to see me. She stepped back as she saw my anger. I took two steps towards her, about to wring her bloody neck when something inside me made me step back and storm away. I grabbed two suitcases and filled them. I suppose my OCD was showing as I packed everything neatly to get the maximum in, as usual.

Margaret watched me, tears streaming down her face. She never spoke. Her eyes showed her fear. Mine showed my revulsion at the whore. I threw the cases into my car. I took my laptop and other items I required for work and pleasure. I grabbed a large pack of beer and my favourite whisky before I headed to our cottage by the loch. It was thirty minutes away so I could commute to my work. I stopped once for the groceries I would need. I could have been pulled over for speeding, my right foot was flooring the engine. If I lost control, hit a tree and died it would have been a relief! It did cross my mind more than once! I wouldn't give her the satisfaction.

I opened the cottage and set out everything that I needed. I heated the takeaway meal and sat on the patio watching the water flow by. Normally it was so soothing watching the loch flow, the clouds caress the hills and only the sounds of nature but nothing seemed real anymore. My heart was still racing. My mind was everywhere. I was castigating myself for never having any inclination this was ongoing. Why had I not challenged her behaviour? It explained the last three months, at least. Have there been more?

It was just after 8 pm when I received a call from my mother. She and I had always been close. She loved to tell all her friends how my research changed lives. When the media ran items on new treatments she would tell everyone I was responsible. No matter how often I said I was part of a team of brilliant people.

Mum started, "Margaret called us to say you have left her. She was extremely upset. Why, you love that woman?"

I laughed, a spine-chilling laugh. I may have started quietly but I was shouting as I ended, "Upset! She's upset! I walk in on her telling her friend all about her affair and how she couldn't give up her lover and she's upset. I don't care if she's upset. She's an adulteress, a bitch, a slut, a fucking whore!"

Mum went on, "Dan, language! She never told us why. I can understand your anger but you will have to speak with her. You can't resolve this until you do. See if it's possible to repair your marriage. You've hurt her so badly by walking out, you need to repair that hurt."

I was abrupt, "Mum, she's put her lover before me! We cannot be healed. I need space to clear my mind, work out what I need to do. She's ripped my heart out yet I have to consider her feelings. Anyone consider mine! Goodnight!"

I was gobsmacked. As I calmed down I wasn't surprised. Mum had two boys and had wanted a girl but my brother Ben's birth had been difficult and she was told another could kill her. Margaret and she had bonded so well. She thought of her as a daughter. She was very close to Ben's wife, Janice as well.

I spent the warm night on the patio having a few cans of beer and a couple of drams. I'm not a big drinker and I certainly didn't want to be rat arsed. I had hoped the tranquillity, the views would help the firestorm in my brain but nothing settled me. Me, Mr Fucking Organised! Nothing made my thoughts clear apart from my anger. The anger was so strong, I wanted to return and kill her.

I must have dragged myself to bed as I woke up there. After breakfast I started looking at the divorce legislation. I planned what I needed to do. First, I opened new bank accounts and moved my money into them. I made sure I left money for any payments for our house and other necessary bills.

It was about 10 am when I heard a car drawing up. I hoped it wasn't her as she could drown in the loch! It was her mother Diane and her sister Claire. Both looked worried, very worried. We had had a good relationship.

I invited them in and waited for them to open the conversation.

Diane looked at me, her eyes showed her sadness, "Dan, Margaret is so distraught at you leaving her. You're her rock, the one person she depends on and you up and left her. She knows she's hurt you but you need to go home, hopefully repair your marriage."

Claire spoke, "Dan, I can understand your anger but you love her so much. If you can focus on that, you'll have a chance together. She's well aware she is solely responsible and she has to prove she loves you. You can't repair it if you do not speak."

I looked at them. My answer showed both my sadness and anger, they jumped when I about shouted, "She told whoever she was speaking with on the phone, she couldn't do without him. She does things with him she'd never done for me. That's not saying I'm important in her life. I'm just the wallet so she can fuck around. How many lovers has she had? Our whole marriage has been a sham!

"She's destroyed it and yet you, my mum seem to think I should forgive and forget. She can carry on as she's so distraught. She's probably at his now having a celebration fuck!

"I can't live with this. I left because the other option would see me in jail."

Claire spoke quickly, "According to Margaret he is her only lover."

I laughed, "Cute, "he is her only lover." Not my only one ever but the only one just now." I shouted, "How many does she keep on the go at one time?"

Her mum blushed, so I waded into her, "How many have you known about?"

Diane looked at me, shocked, "I was devastated to find out she'd done this to you. If I'd known I'd have told you. To my knowledge this is the first. I'll grill her when we are back. I'd hoped your love would help you overcome this but your anger is such, all you can see is her betrayal. Please take some time to calm down, think about what you want, rationally, like you normally do.

"I'll make sure she knows keeping this bastard will mean no you." She added sadly, "If that doesn't convince her to dump him, then you're better off without her."

Claire looked at her mum and nodded.

As they were leaving I added, "I need his name for the divorce papers. Adultery means we can be divorced in months not a year."

Diane looked at me, "Dan, don't rush this. I can't imagine the shock you had but take your time, work out what is truly best for yourself. It may be divorce but what if it isn't? Take some time."

I spent the rest of the morning planning my work week. I wanted to start the divorce but because we had the two properties and other assets I knew I needed professional advice. I pencilled those in.

I fielded calls from Margaret's friends telling me how distraught she was and I, as a caring, loving husband should tend to her needs. Her needs!

I don't know how much sleep I had since the Friday but when I went to work on Monday, I felt shattered. So tired. At work many saw I wasn't my usual self. I updated the team on the review week and explained a couple of new technologies being trialled which may soon help us going forward.

I was trying to catch up on my office paperwork when Martin came in. He and I have been friends for years as well as colleagues.

He asked quietly, "Dan, what's wrong? If it's too personal tell me to butt out but everyone can see something is far wrong. We're all concerned about you."

He gasped as I said, "I'm looking at a divorce."

His face showed his shock, "Dan, you and Margaret. What the fuck has happened? I've never seen a couple more in love. If you wish to talk, we'll find someplace. If you wish to keep it to yourself until you have decided, just know I'll be here to help you.

"I have known a few people who have divorced. They said it's a fuck fest of emotions. One suggested to me if ever I was in that situation, I use a counsellor. He said it hurt more than the cause but it showed him how to cope and be better prepared for any future relationships. It helped remove the anger though not overnight. Consider it.

"Whatever has caused this it is the equivalent of a nuclear strike within you."

I left the office and went to my financial advisor. She would put all my assets and debts together for the court if I required them. She made some observations of how I could reduce what I would probably have to pay Margaret. I said to do those. The whore would get the absolute minimum I had to pay.

She reiterated what Martin had said. She gave me a name of a good counsellor which a few clients had recommended. She said in her experience taking time rather than rushing to one helped. I asked if Margaret's mum Diane had been speaking with her. She laughed. "No, a friend had been betrayed by her husband. She rushed the divorce but later after counselling she saw it may not have been her first option if other actions had happened along with it. He wouldn't have had a third chance that was for sure."

At night I had several calls from her friends telling me to man up, go and see her, help her. She was so distraught at me leaving her. When I asked if she was still fucking Darren fuckface, none would answer.

It was Wednesday night when my brother Ben arrived at the cottage. He and Janice had been on holiday in Madeira and arrived home late on Monday night. He had been shocked to be told what had happened.

Ben's first words floored me, "How are you?"

I sat back and laughed and laughed. He was bemused. When I collected myself I told him, "I just realised, you are the only one who has asked about me. Not mum, not dad, not her mother and sister, her friends. All wanted me to stop her hurting. HER!

"I'm fucking broken. I never saw this happening. My heart has been ripped apart. I look at me and wonder what's wrong with me that she decided she could do this. I've been looking back trying to find any clues I had missed that she was fucking around. How many lovers has she had? I don't know her anymore.

"I've questions but no answers. I can't see her as I'm scared I'll lose the little control I have and just lash out. If she came here I'd drown the slut!"

Ben hugged me, "Dan, you've always been the good guy, the one who put others first even if it stopped you doing what you wanted. You see the best in people. I never expected this either. I never saw anything which suggested she didn't love you deeply though I could never understand why!

"You will need to talk with her at some point but on your terms. I would suggest you see a therapist and a solicitor to help put all your emotions in place and your options. Any time you need to speak you call me, day or night."

We spoke for some time as I filled him in on what I had heard and the reactions of the others. How they pause before answering if she's still seeing him. Before he left he said, "I'll ask a friend Malcolm to shadow Margaret to find out if she's still seeing the bastard. If she is, you'll have the evidence you need. If he's married, his wife will have it as well."

Work was the only place where I could concentrate though I wasn't as sharp as normal. I did see a counsellor Sarah and that didn't start well. She did deconstruct me to make me open myself to my actual feelings. I have always been a very private person, keeping a lid on my emotions. I saw her twice a week as she explained time was of the essence. I've never shed so many tears as her questions opened wounds I never knew I had buried. I hadn't even cried when I caught Margaret on the phone.

I still batted away the friends requests to see Margaret. Mum and dad were on her side in so far as seeing her. They knew how difficult any reconciliation would be for me but felt I needed answers. They asked about how I was so maybe Ben had had words. Diane and Claire called to enquire about me but included a suggestion I speak to Margaret. Diane wouldn't say what Margaret had said about her affair or affairs. Margaret needed to tell me herself.

My solicitor would draw up the divorce papers but she did suggest waiting until the counsellor had me in a place where I knew that was what I truly wanted. I looked at her but she just said, "Doing something seems like you are in control but it's just your emotions driving you. Once you are back to as close to normality as you can be in the circumstances, many have said they wished they'd explored other options. I'm not saying don't divorce her but to make sure that is what you want."

The next week my boss had me away for two days at another laboratory to see how they worked. Yeah, just like mine. The only thing I learned was from the guy in charge there. He'd learned that the firm had a proposal to shift laboratories and production to a large post war facility in deepest, darkest America some one hundred miles from the nearest decent sized town. It appears my boss had put me forward for the job of running it.

No bloody way would I be going!

If I thought things couldn't get any worse, I was wrong. Ben and Malcolm came to my cottage. Malcolm outlined how often Margaret visited Darren while he had been watching her. At least twice a week at an old apartment in town. Most were lunchtime fucks but she'd stayed over the night I was away. He had followed him to his home and confirmed his identity. He had pictures, videos which he suggested I don't look at. Ben agreed with him. There was one part which totally blindsided me.

I had the weekend to contemplate my response. Ben knew what it would be. He didn't have to ask. As they left, he said, "Tell me when you're having her served and I'll tell mum and dad. I'll arrange for his wife to have the evidence at the same time."

On Monday morning I had a meeting with Sarah. She said I was looking more settled. I explained what had happened. She understood. She did say, "I think she will ask for counselling and in some ways it may help you to hear her side of the story. To answer those questions, you're scared to as you fear the answers. We can do it together if you wish."

I left without confirming either way.

The next stop was my solicitor. She was mad at Margaret. She looked at me, "Didn't she realise if she continued seeing him, you would have no option but to divorce her. If she wanted her marriage to survive she had to stop her affair there and then."

I gave her the other part of the news. She called a colleague through and we discussed that. I forwarded my work contract from my cloud storage to her. She had a quick look through and made a suggestion. I'd need to find out the person she needed to contact but I would do that as soon as I was at the office.

It took my secretary less than five minutes to find the information required. Far more efficient than me.

I worked through the day but I had another focus. I had been headhunted a few times but had loyally stayed with this company. I put out that I was thinking about moving.

The next day, my boss came through saying he wanted to speak to me about an exciting opportunity for me. I let him explain it all before saying, "No way in hell would I be working there. You sent me to the other laboratory so your son Darren could fuck my soon to be ex-wife. His wife will be getting the evidence to string him up. All my out of office days and the latest one have been given to Simone Johnstone, Director of HR with the reasons why. My solicitor and her will be having discussions as to how a plant boss facilitated his son's liaisons with an employee's wife. The CCTV at the apartment block shows them there every time you sent me away. I think Utah may be the closest place on this planet they will send you."

He left looking shellshocked. My secretary and others had looks of shock on their faces. I hadn't realised I had been shouting. Martin came up and took me aside, "Come on, let's go for a drink. You need to relax, fuck them."

Martin made sure I was very inebriated and called Ben to take me home. He stayed with me. I felt strangely relieved. The following morning the solicitor called to say the papers would be served on Margaret within the hour. Ben took me to work and headed to our parents to inform them. I told my secretary not to accept any calls from Margaret.

It was lunchtime when Diane called. I accepted the call. She started, "Why now?" I interrupted her, "Since I found out, Margaret has been fucking him twice a week. She had an overnight on Thursday night at their love nest. She's never put me or us first. If she had been serious about us staying together she wouldn't have been off fucking him. She made her bed so she can lie in it."