All Comments on 'Can't Get Used To Losing Her...'

by shuttlepilot

Sort by:
  • 145 Comments
looking4itlooking4itover 10 years ago

Forrest Gump already did this little scene...

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Same story different title

Good attempt however...

The theme has been done and redone from both husband and wife's perspective too many times.

betrayedbylovebetrayedbyloveover 10 years ago
Damn

Fucking cunt. That's all I'll say. No rating.

LordSlamdawggLordSlamdawggover 10 years ago
Vanilla Bittersweet Story !

Ditto on Forrest Gump congruency as first comment noted. I liked the Kennedy assassination being worked into the story. But author just used that to heighten poignancy factor as narrator wallowed in grief. He passed up the chance to launch into meditation of life/ death which might have come eaily considering son's passing.

The wife was an enigma with complications. A first rate author might have launched narrator & readers into solving the puzzle. This narrator turns, flees & has minimal verbal exchanges with ex, right up until she gets the most convenient , symptom free, fatal case of breast cancer ever. Easy Peasy, audios to literary vexing vixon.

This wasn't a horrible read, but it took the shortcut of having characters die to maintain sympathy for angsty narrator & then tried for redemption with him winding up with the simple and easy to please little girl. Can this author handle a complicated male-female relationship with give/take dynamic ?

So far when the literary going get rough, shuttlepilot lets the Grim Reaper rack up a body count. ***

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Anon

Needed sharper details, emotions need to be heightened. Nothing was explored but I think there was a story to be told in there. Average at best. Solid 3.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Nice job, Shuttlepilot

Thank you for that. I enjoyed the emotion and his stupidity. I thought that he getting answers from her would ruin the personality you were trying to portray him with. He was a hardheaded guy who thought, not communicating, was the answer. It never is. 5*

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Sorry ending...

She never explained dumping him. Good ending would of been for his father to have been the father of the child and, when she discovered he had knocked her up, she cut and ran. Regardless, lame ending. Definitely needs DNA test done.

dapidapiover 10 years ago
?????

This could have been a good story if you had expanded on the plot. There are too many questions, too many things glossed over. The reader needs more to become engrossed in the characters and build a rapport with them.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
The devil is in the details

The Kennedy assassination and funeral was the week before Thanksgiving. By Thanksgiving, that was already done. And how could several weeks pass after Thanksgiving when he ran into his mother Christmas shopping? There were about 4 weeks total between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
A four star story...

... with good writing and a simple yet engaging plot. You will get of course marked down by the strokers (who will lose their erections at the end) and the brainless BTB-crowd (for whom nothing short of death under torture and subsequent desecration of the tomb will atone for even the slightest hint of infidelity). But don't be discouraged.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
There was no pleasure in the reading.

It started sad, remained sad in the middle, and ended sad, and depressing. It's okay for readers that need cheering down, but for many of us, it offered nothing to enjoy.

DavidYoungDavidYoungover 10 years ago
Good Story

You could have gone for three pages and explained the wife a bit better but, it was still in the top writing for Literotica. David

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
re:Nice job, Shuttlepilot

His stupidity, you must be on crack or maybe you were dropped on your head. She left him dumb ass, she ran away and like the bitch she was. She left him when they we're grieving. She had the little girl for 4 years and if the bitch wasn't dying, he still wouldn't know she existed. And some how it's his fault. Stay in the cuckold lane, like his dad.

avidfaavidfaover 10 years ago
Beautiful story

Ignore the comments from the knuckle-dragger btb crowd, this is a beautifully written, poignant story. I think the comments might have been more intelligent and appropriate if it had been put in the Romance category.

The protagonist is artfully limned, and is a full, interesting character, not the caricature that some have said.

The situation is tragic, the story poignant, the feelings real. All questions were answered for the perceptive reader.

Excellent job, well done. The writing was top notch.

tdert1tdert1over 10 years ago
Confusing Timelines

The story had confusing details , couldn't understand was it 63 and then 68 vs her leaving in 58. The ending was incomplete too

Sorry too rough need one more rework

BobNbobbiBobNbobbiover 10 years ago
Painful . . .

. . . to any parent who has watched their child die, in my case my adult daughter who was an image of her father. Painful to anyone who has allowed a marriage of love and emotion die without fighting with life itself to keep that from happening. This is an all too real and very painful story. I am old enough to remember that November all too well. I knew he was dead when I saw the flag at Independence Hall, birthplace of our nation, being lowered to half staff; I was working across the street that November day. I knew my daughter was soon to be dead when I heard her sucking each breath into her lungs knowing that soon there would be no more breath. I stood beside her and said goodbye Champ.

Stories that can be written with this much life experience deserve to be read with the same level of experience and appreciation. I hope shuttlepilot's memories are respected.

Good job.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
shuttlepilot, you've written some good stories...

but this is not one of them

sugnasugnaover 10 years ago
Size Up

Women divorces her husband, after their child dies? Woman says she can't live with what she has done? Did she kill the kid or was she cheating? Woman divorces her husband and goes away. She apparently continues her relationship or starts a new one. She gives birth to a little girl that she says is her ex husbands child. Yet she admits she was fucking someone else. She keeps the child from her ex. Only when she is dying and needs someone to take care of the kid, she comes back and dumps the kid on him. This is the definition of a selfish bitch. Worse yet, she goes to his mother, father and grandfather first to set him up! Well written but fucked up beyond belief!

reasonablemanreasonablemanover 10 years ago
Too many unanswered questions - 4 Stars

I was happy to see you back but this story shows you are rusty. There are too many unanswered questions in this story. The story starts with the wife unexpectedly demanding a divorce after they lost their son. Husband had suggested that they try to have another child. She leaves without warning and tells her husband that she wants no further contact with him. How did the son die? Was it the husband's fault? We are never told.

Wife shows up at ex-husband's parents' house for Thanksgiving dinner and no one warns him? In the story he has a good relationship with his mother. Most normal mothers would rip the eyes out of the ex-wife for treating her son so badly in the divorce. There is no explanation given for why his mother took ex-daughter-in-law back so easily. Did mom know she had cancer? If so, why didn't she tell her son to he would have had a chance to have a final talk with his ex before she died? Why did ex keep child from him for over 4 years? Why would ex spend time volunteering on a political campaign if she was dying of breast cancer?

You have done better work. I look forward to seeing more of your stories

Tw0Cr0wsTw0Cr0wsover 10 years ago
why the divorce ?

No fault divorce laws did not start to be passed until 1970, prior to that i.e. 1958 divorce was only granted for cause (adultery, abandonment, extreme cruelty)

So how does he not know why ?

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
4/5. Alot of unanswered question with no clean ending.

Just like life, so while I hate not having everything wrapped up in a pretty package, it was a great story. Thank you for writing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
I agree with the majority of commenters

I liked the style and pace and think I understood the protag's point of view and character a little bit. But, there are obvious areas where more information is necessary to flesh out the wife's character (why did she leave, why so suddenly, what really was her end-game when she returned (i.e., did she hope for another go or did she simply want the daughter cared for) why not tell ex-hubby about their daughter....

And then there were some areas that could have used some trimming. I think if a few things had been included and a few things left out, this might have been a classic. However, I gave it a 4.

RhomanovRhomanovover 10 years ago
Cold blooded tale

Nicely done.

I feel for the kid. Foster care may have been a better option.

Ouch.

MitchFraellMitchFraellover 10 years ago
Rather emotionless

I cannot imagine that the family had a Thanksgiving dinner together, which included his ex wife, and then did not discuss the little girl. It is obvious that his parents knew he was her father. Seems unnecessarily unreal.

PolyLvrPolyLvrover 10 years ago
I think it was well written

You really don't need to know why she did what she did to get to the end result.

It's evident that Belle didn't deal well with her grief over their son and took, to her, the easy way out.

Then, after leaving, she found she was pregnant, despite what she had said and couldn't find the courage to go back and admit she was wrong.

Life moves on, she found she had cancer. The best solution was to take the girl back to her father. When she found her family members connecting she felt free to take herself out of the equation.

That's my take on it, anyways.

One person commented that Katy would be better off with foster parents. I don't believe that's true. While a foster family could work, there's no guarantee. I think the girl will eventually heal her father and he will be the loving parent she needs.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
good but unsatisfying

Very modern tale in that the poor reader is left to filling whole chapters rather than just the occasional blank space.

orefinnorefinnover 10 years ago
Style?

I don't know if this is "stream of conscious" or just disjointed. I have enjoyed some of your other stories but I had to force myself to continue and often got lost along the way. Perhaps I will try to re-read it later today.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
WTF

Totally fucked up story.

user110user110over 10 years ago
heh, i didnt see that coming

fucked up is right

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
great story

the mother in the end knew enough to take the child home to her father so ended up doing one good thing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
That was a great story , but it was sad , the ex only because of her cancer.

What ever went wrong with the x, she was selfish and uncaring to just walk away and never let the husband know she was pregnant. Now 5yrs later she returns only because she is dying so the child will be taken care of by the unknowing father . She had other lovers during her time away . So it is possible that if not for the cancer he would have never know of his child. That is beyond sad. This women in her own sick mind was evil.

DunaDunaover 10 years ago
An injured soul

All right there are some author buddies who takes the betraying with them for a long time, but I think to enter a new connection may be a medicine for the injured soul.

LickideesplitLickideesplitover 10 years ago
Wrong category

Yes, it IS a poignant tale. The writing is NOT terrible. But it is also NOT LW ... the closest I can see ANYWHERE in LIT is Non-Erotic! Wrong venue (probably across the LIT board!).

laptopwriterlaptopwriterover 10 years ago
This was well done, but...

there was one part that didn't fit. When he left the house his dad was standing at the front door with his arm around Belle...shouldn't he have been calling out to him to stop and come back or something similar, instead it makes it seem as if his family suddenly turned their back on him and his feelings. Other than that one blurb, I liked the story but as so many have said, it has a very sad ending. I think that's the reason for the low scores. It would also have been nice to find out why she left. Did she know she was pregnant when she left? That's a pretty big hole to leave unfilled. I still rated it strong, because like I said, it was well done.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Pathetic

The guy is a loser wimp coward. The wife is a cold heartless Cunt and his parents are the worst enemy's one could have. He should just kill himself. This is a worthless pile of Shit. Should have been titled "Loser coward gets used and laughed at by everyone" Truly, go kill yourself.

bruce22bruce22over 10 years ago
Very Sad Tale

Powerful finish. We are with you friend wondering why....??? Usually the why is irrelevant but here it pure torture. I can see providing for Katy after her death as an objective but why not tell him all about ahead of time? Also the fact that she seems to have died without the tell-tale physical changes seems strange. Did she suicide?

Bev59Bev59over 10 years ago
Yes very sad, but very good

I love your story

TMSPTGR3TMSPTGR3over 10 years ago
Barely Acceptable

While its nice to have a twist ending, this is a case where the cancer has to be upfront. Otherwise, you grow to despise him, his parents for taking Belle and Katys side, and Belle. I didn't feel the ending was powerful, I thought it was a last gasp effort to rationalize unrealistic and basically despicable behavior into something touching. 3*

carvohicarvohiover 10 years ago
Nicely done...but

The idea of losing a child in a story, any story, should be a central theme. Your protagonist agonizes over the loss of his wife, but we hear almost nothing about the lost child. It was down hill after that.

MattblackUKMattblackUKover 10 years ago
5* story

So very sad.

There's truth in this story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Well done

But sad story. Well written. I remember when Kennedy died and the effect it had on the Nation and our dreams. It still hurts.

javmor79javmor79over 10 years ago
How was this guy a loser?

I read one commenter (surprisingly, he was anonymous) saying that this guy was a loser. How is that so? How is this guy a cuck? He didn't take her back. All he did was be there for his daughter. If the definition of being a cuck is extended toward taking care of your kid just because the wife cheated, then I seriously feel sorry for some of the people who log into this site.

I thought this was a good story. Sad the she had to be dying of cancer to finally come to terms with the person that she screwed over. A lot of people deal with grief in different ways. I don't know how I would react to losing any of my kids, so I can't judge someone who has lost a kid. Great, sad story

Charley49erCharley49erover 10 years ago
I wonder if his father actually is the father of the daughter.

He seemed very "familiar" with Belle. Biggest problem. Huge holes in character development. Too many why's? Why the separation between son and father? Why do the parents not support their son? Why did Belle really leave? Too much information left out and too much left unexplained. And worse no real development of the relationship between the daughter and her "father." In fact this reads more like an outline of a story. Another question, Why the setting? I get the depression aspect of it all, and the lack of DNA testing, but you really did not make that much of a connection between the two. Development. And of course the vague ending for Belle: suicide or cancer or just stupidity.

DunaDunaover 10 years ago
20 years before!!!!!!!!

My readers fellows, THE STORY WAS PUT IN THE 60s decade!!!! The DNA test was invented later in the 80s!!!!

ariesgirlariesgirlover 10 years ago

Belle sure was selfish. I understand people deal with grief in different ways but she gets no sympathy from me. At least she had sense enough to take Katy back home eventhough we don't know if he is the daddy or not.

overthehillmedicoverthehillmedicover 10 years ago
Sad but true

I had a friend who worked with me who's daughter was killed in an auto accident that the mother was driving the car, As hard as they tried and all the help there was back in the late 70's They could not get over it and divorced with in two years. such a loss to over come .

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago

Good the whore died, she deserved for what she did to her husband. But I would make damn sure the daughter was mine before raising her

PultoyPultoyover 10 years ago
Tied it all up

You left a lot of loose strings flapping around until the last.

Belle obviously did not want him back, but knew she would die of cancer and also knew the only way to protect her daughter was get her back to her dad in plenty of time to have them begin a relationship.

That tied all the loose string for me and made the story of good impact. I gave you 5* because you controlled the information so well, and you closed the doors of doubt well to anyone who was reading closely.

Good job. Thanks for writing this.

-Regards,

Pultoy.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
It was good

But a little darker than I expected

tazz317tazz317over 10 years ago
NO MATTER HOW HARD AND BRITTLE YOU TRY TO POTRAY

we all have a melting point. TK U MLJ LV NV

Ducky7Ducky7over 10 years ago
Good but not great. BUT

why was this story in LW?

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago

Too many holes in this story. 2*

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Dark but well done

Excellent story but very dark. It is clearly a 5*.

Thank you

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Another good story from a gifted writer.

5*

And please do ignore Splitlickers comments. He's one of the more retarded individuals on this site. littlecordelera likes him though, despite all his "shortcummings".

chytownchytownover 10 years ago
Good Read***

Thanks for sharping.

HcopHcopover 10 years ago
Rewrite it

Good stories are not written... they are rewritten.

You have something here, it has the potential to be transformed into a great story. Others have pointed out some flaws (weak characterization, plot holes etc) and bear in mind that stories are not real life, realism is not enough. You have to build towards a climax, have a resolution, explain everything in the end for the reader. Reality may not provide all the answers, it may not bring closure. However in storytelling, you have to give something to your readers. Too many unanswered questions, too many unexplicable actions makes the story unconvincing.

The whole setup by his parents and their attitude in general, his ex-wife's lack of a serious attempt to communicate even though she came back for a purpose, the emotional coldness the story radiates, are only a few things that need to be addressed.

Sid0604Sid0604over 10 years ago
Thank you

I enjoyed ready your story.

RePhilRePhilover 10 years ago
Thanks

This one just seemed fragmented with no real clear direction. I'm a fan of your writing but this one just didn't do it for me 4 stars

Mustang88LXMustang88LXover 10 years ago
Of course the husband is a loser

Only a fucking idiot can not see that. He lets his horrible parents shit all over him and they loved the Cunt and not their son. (I would have them put in a cut rate nursing home locked the door threw away the key and never looked back) and He lets his cunt x-wife use him by dumping her daughter off on him when any one who can do math knows its not his. She left 5 years ago and the kid is just 4. Pregnancies do not take 12 months and it is obvious that she was already cheating on him. More then likely with his scumbag dad. He doesn't even ask many questions get a blood test done at the least he just believes what the Cunt tells him. He doesn't standup for himself he just bends over and asks to have another. That equals no balls Loser! Now if he did have the blood test done and made the Cunt prove it was his and making her take him to court to provide it, then he should take the kid. But he never had the balls to standup to the Cunt. He should have never went to his horrible parents house in the first place. But no balls cowards take the abuse.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
death

a death of a child makes parents go crazy. some divorce, others hurt them self.

blame either spoken or not is the minds of ever one. the writer never made it

clear what was going on. half a tale.

cpetecpeteover 10 years ago
This was a thinking mans story

because of all the questions-was she his? did the parents know about the illness? etc..

Still enjoyed the tale

monkcalmmonkcalmover 10 years ago
5* Just because

She is dying she gets a cake walk, a free-pass, oh yes she is the victim, I'd kick the shit out of the dad and tell "mom" to fuck off, and then she kills her self as in running off again, and leaves a note, typical NA woman, if i cant have it all, im done (hence the divorce rate), dying is between you and god, but fuck you if you think it gives you a free pass to be a slut and then come back with a bastard child and say oops, watch the bastard for me will you (now that i am dying pity me) ....it might be yours, so its boarding school for you bastard child..dont call me, ill call you(ps it will just crush his parents..4 years like they didnt know...hmmmm, kick that dad of his in the balls again hahaha)

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Nothing like being set-up and set against by your own parents

Fuck all this guilt shit. She made her bed; she can lay in it.

And if mommy and daddy can't understand that then they can go fuck themselves too.

javmor79javmor79over 10 years ago
@Mustang88LX

Wow. Glad I'm not related to you. You would put your parents in a nursing home and throw away the key? There are a lot of things that my parents do that i don't agree with, but there is nothing that they could do for me to completely cut them out of my life. Plus, they weren't chosing the cheating wife over their own son. She was dying. They were trying to make sure that their innocent grandchild, who never asked to be put in this situation, was taken care of after the mom died. Some people may want to read more into the story than what the author put there and say that the kid wasn't his, but if that were an important part of the story then the author would have mentioned it. Since he did not, we have to judge the situation by what is actually written down. In this story, the kid is his. So, if your anger issues would have you be unforgiving to a dying person, locking up your parents and never speaking to them again, and throwing away an innocent child that is yours, then you have a very lonely and bitter life ahead of you. Do you think you may need to sit down and talk to someone for an hour?

javmor79javmor79over 10 years ago
@monkcalm

Dude, you need serious help.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
OK

Gave the story a five cause it was worth it. Didn't like it much, but the story was well worth reading.

TMSPTGR3TMSPTGR3over 10 years ago
Maybe Javmor79 Should Read the Story Again

The story is set up as cheating wife abandons husband and disappears for 5 years.

Cheating wife returns and is greeted with unqualified rapture by his family. Loving family is angry at him because hubby does not greet return of cheating wife happily and family does not seem to be at all understanding of his distress. Child is rapturously accepted as his by loving family without question. In 1963, being blonde like dad and even having the same blood type means nothing. Proof of paternity is zero. So far the most reasonable action by ex-hubby is to declare a curse on all your houses and have nothing to do with bitch ex-wife, her child of questionable paternity, and his incredibly stupidly besotted parents. Oops sprinkle fairy dust and he starts to treat child as his. Oops, wife dies of cancer induced suicide and all is clear. The reason the author deserves some break is that the story is somewhat different and if the knowledge of the cancer is flipped to the beginning third of the story rather than the end, a pretty good story could exist. As written, I would put hubby's loving family in the cheapest nursing home available and never visit.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Fucked Over.

Dude you got fucked over by a cheating skank. Your parent are ace number one dumb asses. Skank wife dead, time line don`t add up. You need to stick a shoe up you old mans ass. Now the kid is yours fool. Kennedy`s like lead.

lance_spearmanlance_spearmanover 10 years ago
Can't quite figure this out

Did she want him back in her life, or did she come back only because she had cancer and needed someone to care for her daughter?

lonewolf3307lonewolf3307over 10 years ago
Talk about depressing...

... Personally, I think her deathbed note was very revealing. Belle referred to Katy as her little girl. Remember, back in the dark ages, before DNA testing, it was Mama's baby and Daddy's maybe.

checkaho013checkaho013over 10 years ago
Didn't like Belle

I don't like a lot of characters in LW , but it's a good story. I think too often people take it out on the author unless the story turns out the way they want.

TornadoTysTornadoTysabout 10 years ago
Sad Tale

A real sad tale of lost love, lost time, lost childhood with a father !

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
Why.

Why is this story on this site?.

There are plenty of other sites that this would be appropriately placed on.

is there something confusing about the name literotica.

tazz317tazz317about 10 years ago
WHY???WHEN DEATH IS IMMINENT

do peoples perspective change and that which they gave up and gave away begin to seek it back, TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
ok by me

I think you treated the bitch exactly how she deserved to be treated.. I would have lost no sleep. Nor would I attend the funeral.

OneShotOneOneShotOnealmost 10 years ago
more holes than a colander

Messed up time line and a messed up family.

TonyKiwiTonyKiwiover 9 years ago
gone

He stopped loving her today.

tazz317tazz317over 9 years ago
WHEN THEY ARE SHOVELING THE DIRT

that is not the time to ask for repentance. TK U MLJ LV NV

Pappy7Pappy7over 8 years ago
I don't know,

the paternity of the child would be impossible to prove in 1963, blood test just prove that it is possible or not, compatibility of blood types and all. However, the way the father, mother and grandmother are acting proves that something is amiss in this situation. I would say that the probability of his father being the sperm donor is high. Would explain why she left so abruptly, why she came back and why the sanctimonious bastard was in the son's ass about the girl's paternity. One thing I can agree with the other commenters on is that bed sores would be in the dad's future and the cheapest, most neglectful nursing home I could find would house both the parents.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Who gives a fuc....

Reread the story fuc wad.....bill

It's life, make it a 5 and do the best you can...

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago

Don't know her and she is only here because you are dying. Take her with you she is nothing to me.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
Nicely Done!

Your minimalist style was idealy suited to this sad little tale. Very nicely executed.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
Excellent Story

I wish I had found it earlier. Well written and well conceived.

Thank you!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
that was so sad

my god that was so sad. And so frustrating! We have no answers and a stack of questions. Belle was such a selfish person, I'm having trouble even understanding her at all. Brian, so understandably hurt and scarred that he couldn't get through the pain to find the answered he needed. His family is fucked up too, I don't think I would ever be able to have a relationship with people like that.

I wish this story would continue so that we at least know why she did what she did.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Depressing...

As hell. Wished I hadn't read it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
5* BUT..

In the 60s, breast cancer would not have been a "one day she was just dead" thing.

tazz317tazz317over 7 years ago
NO MATTER WHAT THEY SAY OR DO

the blood line will triumph, TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
A bunch of Women Hating IDIOTS have filled up the Comments

Do the research, jackasses!! When a young child dies, the psychologists and psychiatrists tell us, the husband and wife are going to break up! Why?? None of the docs know for sure! Remember "Physician" as a profession is about 4000 years old. But it wasn't until the middle of the 19th century that statistically, the doc was going to actually HELP the patient. Psychiatry as a profesion is only about 150 years old. (Sigmund Freud). They're still not much better than witch doctors; so they can tell you husband and wife are very likely to split after the death of a young child, but they can't explain exactly why.

Do you understand how your computer takes an on/off signal, (actually several quintillion of on/off signals in a fraction of a second) and turns that into what you see on your computer monitor? No? But you accept it, right? And believe what you see on the screen? Well, accept the fact that the mental health professionals tell us when husband and wife have a young child who dies, the couple are most likely going to break up, even if they can't fully explain why.

Nothing in the story said the wife was cheating. The dates of split and new child's birth are not spelled out clearly. Four year old child could be four years and fifty-one weeks old. Wife's gestation could have been 37 weeks or 42 weeks, which are the usual minimum and maximum gestation periods. Husband clearly could have fathered Katy.

Don't jump to conclusions, you misogynistic, knuckle dragging sixth-cenury A.D. bums.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Depressing, but interesting

Pretty good period piece from a painful time in American history that the writer uses as an allegory for what his narrator is going through. Not every couple that loses a young child splits up, but they must be of strong character to get through it and stay together. With this couple, and their obvious lack of communication with each other, that would have been impossible. As for Anonymous of 7/27/16, I think the implication at the end was that she committed suicide because she couldn't live with the pain of her breast cancer. All in all, a bit of a downer, but well-written and thought-provoking.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
1*

wimpy shit.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
haha

breast cancer lololololollol hope the kid gets it and dies

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
A decent plot, but poorly executed. Why no talk? Obviously things had changed.

Didn't his parents know the ex wife had cancer? What did he have to lose by talking to her? Just a bunch of childish lack of or no communication, with no point to the breakup nor the return. A vehicle to create emotion and pathos, but very clumsily steered.

Keep trying, but do better.

Chief3BlanketChief3Blanketalmost 7 years ago
Gave it a five

My sentiments are the same as Anonymous of 8/30/16.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
5-Star Nostalgic Piece Of Americana

She brought her son to my house. She told me it was my son. She took him back home to her husband. A few weeks later she died. Another man raised my son to adulthood. And I am left asking Why?

Chief3BlanketChief3Blanketalmost 7 years ago
Second reading

I have not changed my mind that this sad tale deserves a five and imager with both Annoys that posted comments on 8/30/16.

Chief3BlanketChief3Blanketalmost 7 years ago
I hate writing on an iPad. This is to correct my comment of this date.

I have not changed my mind that this sad tale deserves a five and I agree with both Annoys that posted comments on 8/30/16.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Belle was such a shit!

She leaves him for no really reason since she knows that she is carrying his child. Screws around then she had the audacity five years later to drop the kid back on him because she had cancer. What a horrible mother she was. She was such a wimp that she took the easy way out of life!

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Wow what a story!

Your writing style is economical and assumes your readers are intelligent. Thank you! This story may be a bit too real for some, but life is often bittersweet. Human emotions are complicated and nonlinear. There is a large area of gray between the black and white borders. First time I've read this but it's one of the best. I remember Nov 22, 1963. This year went by without a mention of that day. Sad.

266xxyz266xxyzabout 6 years ago
Great story

I know that feeling of abandonment. It was 26 yrs ago. Life went on and things did get better but nothing has ever either filled or closed that hole.

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous