All Comments on 'Cast a Long Shadow'

by SouthernCrossfire

Sort by:
  • 19 Comments
Boyd PercyBoyd Percy10 months ago

Those who serve are all heroes in my book!

5

EgregiousEgregious10 months ago

Thanks for the commemoration of Oggbashan passing and his stories. A couple of my favorites are: Apple Pickers, and Christmas Journey.

WillDevoWillDevo10 months ago

Yep, this was a fun, enjoyable morning read. When I came across The Martian, I found myself thinking "SC has to have messed up. No way is he that old." But, nope, and you even commented about it in the end notes.

Demosthenes384bcDemosthenes384bc10 months ago

Sure missed your postings. Really enjoyed the story although it was fairly safe compared to some of your other works. Great narrative and little slice of what life was post war mixed in. 4.7*

Ravey19Ravey1910 months ago

First I knew of Oggbashan's passing, thank you for that news. Another delightful tale, well told as I'd expect from the author.

SmuttyandfunSmuttyandfun10 months ago

5 Stars! Well done. as always. And thanks creating such a lovely commemorative story for Oggbashan. He will definitely be missed.

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

Thanks you for thinking of "Ogg" and Thank You for sharing your creativity.

Alan

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

Beautiful story.

I thought the love story with Stuart was "too perfect, too smooth".

Given the differences you've installed between them ( divorced, religion, sexual inexperience, physical abuse.......), There's never any doubt, there's never any uncertainty, never any problem.......

But that's when true love is revealed, when it overcomes obstacles and difficulties with the help and support of a partner.

des911des91110 months ago

Another good story from you. Well done and thank you

JoshFrom53JoshFrom5310 months ago

Again a wonderfull story from a master in the genre. SC, thank you for writing this and can't wait for another one.

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

Lovely story made even more special by its entry into Oggbashan's memorial tribute. Thank you for your most enjoyable contribution. 5 stars.

Comentarista82Comentarista8210 months ago

You pegged what happened to a number of vets, like the fictional Jeff, which started drinking at some point due to what he saw in WW2; I had two uncles that drank because of the war, with one killing himself from it and another that drank enough to compromise his body's ability to heal, which led to his death after adhesion separation surgery in 1987. Neither ever talked about what he saw, but our family knew they saw some horrific things they wanted to forget. So when I read about Jeff and how he morphed, I fully anticipated it.

I personally believe the endnote about divorcees was cheating a bit, as readers could look that fact up and see the stigma attached to it, as a lot was unfairly put on the woman--although Amanda's family and friends knew she left because of the abuse--and you nailed her demeanor exactly to how a woman of the time would have reacted in the face of Stu's serious interest; you likewise accurately portrayed him being a real man and not accepting that for a second.

Can't think of a thing that you somehow missed or could have done better, as you wrote a piece that reflected the possible characters, feelings and milieu of the time to the tee. 5

ThefirefliesThefireflies10 months ago

Very excellent, SC. I liked it and I’m sure Ogg would have too. Fascinating historical notes, especially the one about Marvin the Martian not being named till much later!

AltissimusAltissimus10 months ago

Very well written.

UpperNorthLeftUpperNorthLeft10 months ago

A lovely romance, and a great read to start my weekend with. Thanks for posting this! - 5*

mitchawamitchawa10 months ago

A well-written story with a meaningful plot and a romantic ending. The dialogue was done with skill and the sex scenes were realistic. I don't have a clue about Ogg because of my age, but my lack of knowledge didn't have an effect on my understanding and enjoyment.

Tall78701Tall7870110 months ago

I like it. Great historical details and wonderful scenes of intimacy. I especially loved the line, “I bit off the moan that threatened to explode from my lips as the orgasm rose up, like a giant wave on the North Shore, and swept over me.” Makes me want to travel to Hawaii and have sex on the beach. Very romantic story and overall, a good read.

WhoGivesAShitWhoGivesAShit10 months ago

You did a really nice job with this story. Serious portions but overall it’s uplifting. As a teen during the 70s I remember how most people spoke poorly of divorcés. Couples divorce for good (and bad) reasons. My MIL had good reasons for divorcing husband #1 (my wife’s sperm donor) and dealt with a lot of stigma as a 19 year old divorcee with a 3 year old daughter. You did a really good job making that social stigma a cornerstone of the story.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userSouthernCrossfire@SouthernCrossfire
4/4/24 Update: "Crossed Paths," a story of old friends reuniting, was recently published for the Wicked Games challenge, in which everything isn't as it seems. Hope you'll read and enjoy! If you're looking for something older, you might try "The Valentine's Dance," a late 1...