Catering Girl Ch. 02

Story Info
Sometimes surprises are good, sometimes they're not.
12.2k words
4.87
46.1k
124

Part 2 of the 7 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 04/23/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
GinnyPPC
GinnyPPC
850 Followers

Thank you to my flotilla of beta readers, AwkwardMD, Bookwormmom, Bramblethorn, and NellyMcBoatFace, plus my new editor, BrokenSpokes, who all provided some critical suggestions and hopefully made this a smoother read.

There is an important character under the age of eighteen in this story. It's sort of hard to write a story about a young single mom and not have her munchkin in it. But don't worry, when we do get to the adult playtime parts, the little one will be safely tucked in her own bed and sleeping while the grownups play. These are responsible adults after all.

Chapter Two

Jennifer

Whitney caught me as I fell, and I immediately felt safe. Her steadying arms wrapped around me, pulling me into her. Her big brown eyes were mesmerizing. In that moment, the entire world faded out and all I could see was her. I watched as she leaned forward, and I closed my eyes, fearing she would shy away. Never in my life had I felt anything like this, certainly not with Madi's father. Her lips were soft as they pressed into mine. No sordid tongues, just the lingering taste of her lip gloss and warmth of her heart.

You've heard some people say they saw stars when they had their first kiss? Or like a bolt of electricity hitting them? I'd have to say those analogies are poor ones for what I felt, but I'm not sure I know the right word to use other than magical.

My eyes were fluttering, as I processed what had just happened, when someone said it bluntly and perfectly.

"Mommy, you just kissed Miss Whitney!" Whitney and I both looked down and smiled at Madi.

"Yes, pumpkin, I kissed Miss Whitney. Is that okay with you?"

"Does that mean you love her?" There's nothing like an unfiltered four-year-old to ask the real question swirling around in my heart that I wasn't sure I knew the answer to. But I knew I wanted to find out.

"Um, that's something that you don't get to ask, sweetie. But I sure do like her." I couldn't contain the smile on my face or the warm fuzzies I was feeling.

"Do you like Mommy, Miss Whitney?"

"You'd better believe it, munchkin. How about we go over to the snack bar and get some hot cocoa?"

Thank you, Whit, for changing the subject. She took my hand, and we skated over to the snack bar. Wow, what had I just done? I was all butterflies now. Was I really going to do this romance thing?

I had been thinking about it for a couple of days, especially after last night. Holding her hand had opened up parts of my heart I had not opened in years. My past was starting to make sense as well; why I'd turned down so many offers to go on a date from my male classmates. I realized I had been completely uninterested in them.

With Madi's father Dallas, it was more of a relationship of convenience and lifelong friendship. We had known each other since elementary school, had many mutual friends in common, and hung out in the same social group often. The others in our circle were mostly paired up, so it was natural when we paired up as well. It was just what you did in a small town.

We had only gone on a few dates when Senior Prom rolled around. I think we both wanted to see what this sex thing was all about, and neither of us wanted to graduate as virgins. We had stopped in the empty parking lot of an office building in a dark corner. A couple of swigs of pilfered liquid courage, and we were in the back seat. That experience hadn't been bad, but it was nothing like this.

I stumbled my way to a seat as Whit got three hot cocoas. Suddenly I was watching her in a whole new light and was otherwise lost in space. Whit gave Madi hers with a candy cane stuck in it. Little Miss greedily sucked on the candy cane as her drink cooled.

Whit slid next to me and slipped her arm around me. "Um, was that okay back there?"

I had to concentrate on her voice, as her beautiful brown eyes captivated my attention.

"Sorry, I didn't quite plan it that way. It just felt like the natural thing to do and..."

"It was perfect, Whit. Deep down, I was kinda hoping something like this would happen. I was more surprised with my mini me around than anything else."

"Whew."

I could see the relief on her face. I think the fears of rejection are always going to be present with her. Whit nudged me with her elbow and guided my view out to the rink. Her friend Molly skated past us with both thumbs up.

"I think she saw us," Whit said, sarcastically chuckling.

"I think the whole rink saw us," I confirmed, acknowledging the obvious.

"Are you fine with that?"

"With people knowing I kissed a woman? Why wouldn't I be? Not like it is any of their business."

"What about your friends or your mom?"

"Chantal won't care. She's probably had sex with a woman before. I know she used to be an escort, so who knows what she did. The ladies from church, them I'm not sure about. My mom, she probably won't care. I don't talk to her much."

"What are you thinking now?"

"That if you don't take me back out there soon and hold my hand, you're going to be in trouble." I gave Whit an expectant look.

"Not yet Mommy, I've gots to finish my candy cane." I had been so focused on Whitney that I had forgotten about my daughter for a moment. I looked over at her and saw the big red candy stains on the side of her mouth. Whit and I both laughed.

"Stay here, I'll get a few napkins to clean her up with." Whitney said.

Even with skates on, Whit walked across the rubberized floor with grace. We got Madison cleaned up then made our way back to the ice. Never in my life have I had more fun. I felt alive, with not a care in the world. Even though I fell a few times, and crashed into the wall a lot, having Whit there to pick me up made it worthwhile.

"I'd better wear tights or slacks tomorrow, otherwise I'll have to explain the bruises I know I'm going to have," I mused as we came off the ice and got our shoes back on. Leaving the building, I found both my hands being held: one by a little girl who I knew loved me with every bone in her body, and the other by a big girl who I was hoping would do the same.

Once back in Whit's car, as we pulled out, I got a bit of a side eye from her. "Jenn? Can I ask you something rather selfish?"

"Um, okay?" I was nervous by how she phrased her question.

"I don't want today to end, spending time with you, that is. I... um... like you, a lot and um..." Her knuckles were almost white with her grip on the steering wheel and her eyes were locked on the road ahead, "Would you like to have dinner with me again, tonight?"

Whit risked a glance towards me and I saw her match the big, silly grin on my face. I felt myself pushed back in my seat as she stomped on the gas in further reply.

We were pulling into her garage when she suggested, "Grab your bags and you can run your shopping haul through my laundry. I've a bunch of extra hangers in the laundry room."

Once parked and unloaded, Madi wanted to carry the bags by herself from the thrift store up the two flights of stairs, but I gave her a hand for the last flight and a half. Whit showed me where her laundry closet was and once she saw I was comfortable with her washer's controls, she headed back down to her kitchen, leaving me to manage the rest.

"How does pizza sound?" she hollered up to me.

I heard Whit rummage around in the kitchen as I rejoined her and Madi. I stood in the door and watched my little girl be Whit's shadow, following her around.

"Can we have pepperoni, Miss Whitney?"

"Do you like pepperoni too, Madi? It's like my f-a-a-a-a-v-o-r-i-t-e kind." Whit looked so cute as she got down on a knee to be at eye level with Madi and made exaggerated arm gestures.

"Don't you think that was a bit over the top?" I whispered. Whit just smiled, whipped out her phone, and ordered via an app.

"Can I watch a movie, Miss Whitney?" Madi had already sat down in front of the TV with the remote in her hand. Skipper was rubbing her head against her new friend's tummy, contentedly purring.

"If it's okay with your mommy, it's okay with me."

I helped my daughter find something I approved of. This time it was A Charlie Brown Christmas. Then I left her to her cartoons and found Whit in the kitchen. She handed me a glass of red.

The wine was mellow and relaxing, but I knew something that would taste better. "Whitney, er, someone's in the other room, and I think she's—" She didn't let me finish my thought. She pulled me to her, and I tasted her lips. Again, it was as if the whole world disappeared. My hands did their share of touching too. Feeling the back of her sweater, I pulled myself as tight against her as I could.

I had hugged and cuddled Madison countless times, when she was scared, or hurt, or just needed a mommy snuggle, but this was different. This time I was the one being loved on. It felt wonderful.

Resting my head on her shoulder, I softly spoke, "I think I'm going to grow used to this. I hope it's ok with you."

"This is very ok, Jenn." Soft lips made contact with mine and our tongues did another dance.

"Miss Whitney, are you kissing Mommy again?" We looked at each other. Busted!

"Yes, munchkin, and I think I'm going to do it again."

"Well, someone's at the door, Miss Whitney." This time I heard the doorbell. Must be the pizza guy.

"Shit." Whit hurried downstairs to get the pizza.

"Mommy, Miss Whitney said a swear a-g-a-i-i-i-n. Is she ever going to get in trouble for saying swears?" Now her hands were on her hips, just like my mother used to stand when she scolded me as a girl. It must be in her DNA.

"What should her punishment be?"

"Make her have us come over for dinner more so I can play with Skipper." She picked up her little friend that was rubbing against her leg.

"Then I'm going to say lots of swears, Madi," Whit told her, as she returned and set the pizza on the kitchen island. She pulled out some paper plates and napkins and set them next to the pizza. "Pizza tastes better on paper plates," she stated, matter-of-factly, as if she'd said that the atomic symbol for iron is Fe. "Mommy, can my friend Madi have some apple juice?" Two sets of brown eyes looked at me pleadingly.

"Sure. Just remember, Madison, what happens at Miss Whitney's..."

"Stays at Miss Whitney's. I know Mommy."

I next watched in horror as the bottle of Ranch was produced and a large dollop was squirted out onto Whit's plate.

"You're not going to—"

"Oh. Yes. I. Am." She dunked the tip of her pizza into the white sauce.

"Heathen! Apostate! Oh, the humanity!" I said, to no one in particular. "Next you're going to tell me you put ranch on your hot wings."

"Does the sun rise in the east?"

"Ugh, you are impossible, Whit. Everyone knows you put blue cheese dressing on buffalo wings."

I shook my head in horror as my daughter lifted the bottle of dressing. Whit gave her a hand, and moments later Madison fell to the dark side.

"Mommy, we need to get some ranch at home. This is g-o-o-o-o-d." Which was obvious by the amount smeared around her lips.

"Whitney, I don't know about this. You're corrupting my sweet innocent daughter."

Whit walked around the island and leaned her head into mine and whispered into my ear, "But it'll be more fun corrupting you, my friend." She gave me a peck on the cheek, and as she walked away I sharply inhaled. The events of the day began to swirl all around me. I found myself holding the edge of the counter to steady myself.

Fuck. Well, you know the old saying, if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. So that's what I did. After moving my clothes to the dryer, I took my wine and sat down on the couch. It didn't take Skipper long to spot me entering the room, and about a moment after I sat down she hopped into my lap and curled up. The two of us sat there for a bit, thinking about the world.

"Everything okay? You bolted out of the kitchen. Are you mad at me?" Playful Whit was gone, replaced by a concerned, caring friend.

"No, I'm not mad. It's just hit me, that's all. I'm trying to process everything." I gave her a sideways glance and returned my focus to the purring fur ball in my lap.

"Jennifer, do you regret anything that has happened?"

"No. The reality of today just hit me. What this is going to mean. This is not your first relationship with a woman. You're not thinking about how this will impact your daughter or your new job. I've a million things swirling around in my head. I need a moment to process this all." On their own accord, my fingers ran through my hair.

"I can back off Jenn, give you some space. If you want? I mean, I would rather have you just as a friend than push things and have you run away on me." Her voice was unsteady as she spoke.

"Whit... Whitney, we don't need to back off, except just maybe not in front of Madison? At least for a while?"

"I can do that."

"I'm just worried about how things will go for her at preschool. She has no filter between her brain and mouth. I don't want her to be bullied because her mom kissed a woman" —I reached over and lifted her chin up and pulled it so she was facing me— "and wants to spend more time with that woman."

Whitney's eyes lit up. She looked around the room and saw that Madison had joined us and was turning on the TV, so she squeezed my hand instead.

"Only a few more minutes, honey, we have to get up and going early in the morning. I have to get you to preschool right when they open so I can get my bus to start my new job on time."

"One show, Mommy?"

"Sure, pumpkin." I really intended to keep the physical contact with Whit limited in front of Madison, but Whit's shoulder was so inviting that I just had to put my head on it, and I snuggled into her.

About halfway through the program, Whit tapped my leg to get my attention. "Clothes, dryer." Whoops, how did we forget? Whit gave me a hand, pulling stuff out and getting onto hangers. Nothing was too badly wrinkled. As I was putting a blouse on a hanger, I felt her hug me from behind.

"You know, someone is downstairs and distracted." I set the hanger down and spun around in her arms. This time I let her have her way with my lips. Her tongue danced with mine, and any lingering memories of Madison's father fell away into the ash heap of history.

Her soft hand caressed my cheek, and our foreheads pressed together. "Whitney, that was wonderful. I don't know how to describe what I'm feeling right now other than wow."

"That, my friend, is a perfect description. The feeling is mutual, by the way. But we should probably get back downstairs."

Whit and I loaded up the Jeep with my new clothes and then got Little Miss ready to go. As we pulled up to my apartment, I was reminded again of how different we were. My little one-bedroom was maybe a quarter the size of her place. And half my paycheck went to rent. Come on, girl, you worked hard to get this place and get this far. Be proud of yourself. My inner monologue was waging a war with herself, and even though the brave face part of me was fighting a good fight I was afraid the defeatist was winning at the moment.

I made some space in my closet as Whit handed me hangers. I guess the advantage of not having a ton of clothes is that there was some space available for them.

"Are you okay Jenn? You've gotten rather quiet," she asked me, her voice concerned. A hand reached out and held onto my arm.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I lied. "Just nervous about starting tomorrow." That sounded plausible. She cocked her head a bit to the side. If she didn't buy it, she wasn't calling me on it.

"You'll do fine." She gave me a hug. "I should probably let you get the munchkin to bed." Slowly she made her way to the door. I don't think either of us wanted her to leave, but it needed to happen at some point. There was a longing look on her face. She turned and headed out.

"Whit, wait." I grabbed her arm. I looked back and Madison was sitting, reading a library book. Returning my eyes to her, I bit my lip. "Look, I said no kissing in front of Madison, but maybe a goodnight kiss can be an exception?" Whitney perked up and embraced me. We traded goodnights, and she slipped into the darkness, but I think with more of a spring to her step than she had a moment before.

I sat on my battered old sofa next to my daughter and watched her "read" her book. I think, in reality, she had it memorized. Madison closed her book and snuggled with me.

"Mommy, do you like Miss Whitney?"

"Yes, she's my friend. Why do you ask, honey?"

"I like her too. She has pretty hair."

"Yes, she does. But more importantly, she's a nice person."

"Why do you kiss her, Mommy? You have other friends and you don't kiss them."

"Well, honey, she makes Mommy happy. You want Mommy to be happy, right?"

"Yes, you've been sad a lot, Mommy. You need to be happy." The hug I got from my mini me was priceless.

"You know what would also make Mommy happy?"

"What?"

"If a certain little girl got her jammies on and teeth brushed right away without fussing." It didn't take long to get ready for bed, and soon she was out like a light. I pulled out my phone.

Me: And she's asleep

Whit: Now you can relax

Me: Yeah, not going to make it much longer myself.

Whit: Get a good night's sleep, babe. 💗

Me: You too.

Whit: Skipper wants to know if her friend can come over and play tomorrow night? Maybe have dinner with Skipper's mommy?

Me: Maybe, will see how well I hold up tomorrow.

Whit: Ok, but all the more reason to come over here and relax. 😊

_\|/_

"Whitney Maritime, how may I help you?... Dispatch office?... Certainly, one moment please." I was getting the hang of my new job. I looked at the clock, 4:55, almost done for the day.

DING! I looked at my phone.

Whit: Almost done! Good first day?

Me: Yeah, getting the hang of it.

Whit: When you get done and walk out, look to your left.

Me: ?

Whit: Just do it ok?

When five pm rolled around, I shut my computer down and set the phones to unattended. My boss, Ginny, checked in with me and I headed out the door.

"Need a lift?" A familiar Jeep was parked next to the handicap space.

"Err, let's see," I said, climbing in. "Not walking six blocks to catch a bus, hoping I don't miss it and then worry about picking up Madison before six. Yeah, I'm in."

Whit smiled at me. "Skipper demanded that I come get you. She threatened to hack up a hairball in my face if Madison didn't come over tonight."

"Sure, she did." I gave her a big eye roll for that whopper.

"Besides, this way I get to do this." Her wonderful lips pressed themselves to mine. My heart fluttered again.

"Well, if that is the tax I have to pay to get a ride, then I want the worst accountant to do my taxes for me so I have to pay a lot."

Whit snickered. "Nobody has ever asked me to be the worst tax accountant before, and so they could pay more. But in this case, I like it."

We pulled out and headed to the preschool.

"How was work?" Whit kept stealing glances of me as she deftly navigated the rush hour traffic.

"Great, everyone was really friendly and helpful. I think I'm going to enjoy working there."

"Way cool! See, I told you they were good people there. And I bet a lot of the crew came through the front door today as well."

"Fredina, the gal I'm replacing, was a bit surprised to see them use the front door instead of the one by the break room."

"I'm not. Who wouldn't want to check out the hot blonde at the front desk?" A smirk crossed Whit's face.

"Well, there is a rumor going around that the new hot blonde is seeing someone."

"Already?"

"Well, I think I better get that one started anyway, otherwise I have a feeling some of them are going to hit on me."

GinnyPPC
GinnyPPC
850 Followers