Chapter (14) XIV: One Last Game

Story Info
The girls interrogate the Ipet-Mau. And Johann.
2.8k words
4.84
1.6k
1

Part 14 of the 17 part series

Updated 12/16/2023
Created 09/13/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I sat there, staring at the dark-skinned, white-haired woman in front of me. She had the blue eyes of the cat that had broken into my room days ago. The blue overtook everything except the thin slit, which grew slightly thicker when she looked at me. She had been following me around for a while, and I had just accepted it. I thought we all had. We had not, apparently. Carmella had her sword trained on the woman. Some movement behind her caught my eye. It was the swishing of a fluffy, white tail. I followed it with my eyes. That's when I noticed that two snowy white ears were protruding out of the locks of her hair. Her tan skin was flawless and hairless outside of her eyebrows and her hair. She was looking at me and not anyone else. "P-please don't let them hurt me, Johann."

"Y-you know my name," I said thickly. She looked at me, confused.

"Of course, she knows your name. At this point, she's had a chance to map the entire castle. There's been food going missing," Meryl said, her hand extended with the dagger I had given to her squeezed tightly between her fingers. There were bright pulses of purple magic pumping through the tendrils I had etched into the weapon. She can use it as a wand? And she's pointing it at this woman. At this cat. This is bad.

"Food?" I asked, looking up at her.

"She's a spy, here to steal our secrets. Rekindle the war with the main continent," Carmella put in.

"What!?" I asked, standing up between them. They looked at me as though I was stupid. "Wait a minute. Okay, sure, she lied, kind of, about being a cat, but does that make her a spy? She hasn't hurt anyone."

"She stole food," Emilia reiterated.

"That's more my fault than anything. I'm not used to having a pet. I forgot to provide for... Wait... Uh. pet seems... Whatever. I didn't know at the time. I didn't provide food. So if she did steal it, that's on me." I took a breath before continuing. "Was there anything else taken?"

"Not that we know about," Meryl added, not lowering her hand. "But she's had ample opportunity to get at the country's secrets."

"I haven't, though. Honest! I didn't come here to steal anything. I'm here to seek asylum!" The woman spoke in a desperate, almost yowling voice.

"You never petitioned me for asylum!" Meryl shouted back.

"I... I thought this might be easier," she said, pouting at me. "He was nice. He gave me food and is pretty cute and fun to play with. Then I saw how he treated all of you. I thought this might be a comfortable life."

"You were just going to live as a cat in the castle?" I asked incredulously.

"I am a good cat," she said indignantly. I stared at her, bewildered that she thought that was the issue. "And I wasn't going to do it forever. Just until I found a way to broach the subject."

"Of you being a person. And not the cat I thought I'd accidentally adopted."

"You really didn't know?" Meryl asked. "She obviously wasn't an ordinary cat."

"I've never met an ordinary cat in my life! All cats are weird little balls of fur and chaos!" I exclaimed back at them. The three women all dropped their hands and laughed at me. I looked back, and even the catgirl was giggling at me too. I dropped my hands to my side and sighed. "Okay. Fine. I'm stupid. I get that. As though I should know a magic cat from a regular cat from a catgirl."

"So, you're going to pin your honor to a spy and a thief," Meryl said, sobering some.

"I don't know. I guess. I feel like a spy would've done more damage than steal some food." I turned to the three women. Emilia was considering the cat, the symbol of her goddess clutched loosely in her hand. Meryl was looking at me. Carmella hadn't put her sword away but had relaxed her stance, not that it mattered. She could attack in less than a blink of an eye, and there was nothing that any of us could do about it. Then I turned to the catgirl in front of the four of us. She was beautiful. Dark skin and high cheekbones. Even under her armor, I suspected she would have an hourglass figure. Just like the cat. Gods damn it. I couldn't stop myself from laughing when I thought about it. They had been treating this cat like she was a person this whole time. I thought they were just weird, but I'd also treated her that way. "I guess the best thing to do would be to question her."

"But how could we ensure she'd be telling the truth?" Carmella asked, twisting the sword in between her fingers. "No offense, blacksmith, but you didn't even know she was a person."

"Yeah," I agreed, sighing.

"And now you're just distracted because she's cute," Meryl added, pouting. I turned to her, raising an eyebrow. She met my eye without hesitation, daring me to contradict her.

"I- what are you... That's not it. I just don't think she means any harm," I lied, like a liar.

"It's okay, Johann," she said, waving a hand. I gaped at her. "Our entire arrangement acknowledges that you're a horny idiot."

I was about to say something, but I was cut off by Emilia, who stepped forward, eyes narrowed at the woman. "I think I have a solution to this. I can create a space where anyone in it is forced to tell the truth. It can't make them talk, but I think Johann can. After all, he's so cute."

I watched the cat woman, searching for anything. She met my eyes and blinked slowly. I wanted to distrust her. I wanted to be as cynical and accusatory as the other three. But I couldn't be. Her tail had calmed down, swishing slowly back and forth. Emilia commanded that she stand and relinquish her weapons. She did so, reticently. I took them and pulled a few inches of steel out. Except it wasn't steel. It was a bronze color that was profoundly well-kept. I could clearly see my reflection in the polish. I sighed and replaced it, setting it on the bed.

Emilia pricked her finger, and blood pooled on the finger. I watched her move the carpet out of the way and draw a rough circle around our guest. And me. She muttered something in what I was beginning to assume was Elvish, and the air snapped around us. The Ipet-Mau and I jumped and glanced around. We looked around, and I started to leave the circle, but Emilia put a hand on my chest and shoved me back gently. I looked at her. "Cel'vin, you're going to get her to talk."

"But I don't know how to do anything like that!"

"That has hardly stopped you from running your mouth before," Carmella said, stepping beside Meryl and Emilia, grinning. I sighed and nodded. "Cat, you're both going to answer any questions we have. Suppose we have any reason to believe you're trying to conceal anything from us. In that case, we can have you executed, and I will not hesitate to do so. Is that understood?"

"Yes," the woman responded, her tail swishing nervously back and forth. I didn't step closer to her, fearing that I would dig whatever hole I was in even deeper. But my heart did go out to her. I didn't want to be interrogated by these three either. Except that because of her, I was. She grinned evilly at me and said, "Though, I do have a small request, if I may."

"You're making a request?" Meryl asked incredulously. "Why would we abide by any of your requests?"

"I think this will make it more fun for all of us, and if my life is on the line, I'd like to play one last game," she said, eyes meeting mine. Then she looked to Meryl and continued. "I'd simply like to alternate questions. You ask me what you have to. I'll answer everything willingly. If this is the same spell our interrogators use, I could remain silent, but I won't. I have nothing to hide from you. But, for every question I answer, I want you to interrogate our mutual friend here. If you don't have any questions, I'm sure I could think of some."

My arms collapsed to my side, and I deflated visibly. This... this woman is being threatened with treason and death, and she chooses to spend what are quite possibly her last moments fucking with me!? When did my life become this insane!?

"Deal," Meryl, Emilia, and Carmella agreed in unison.

"What!? Why?" I demanded.

"She's right, Johann. It does sound more fun this way," Meryl said, not quite stifling a giggle. I glared at her, and the other two joined in, laughing at me. "First question: What is your name, Ipet-Mau?"

"I am Shari Ahtri. I hail from the city of Desca."

"Okay. This doesn't really count as a question, but do you mind if we refer to you as Shari?" Emilia asked, with some forced deference in her tone.

"Not at all," she said, smiling at the four of us. "I'd like to be friends if we can be."

"Why did you come here?" Carmella asked impatiently.

"Oh, no. I won't answer that question just yet. Does anyone have a question for our dear Johann?"

"Right," Carmella said, nodding. "Blacksmith, did you know that she was an Ipet-Mau spy?"

"I didn't even know what an Ipet-Mau was until she transformed in front of me. And I'm still not entirely convinced that you didn't hit me on the head during training and that this isn't a fever dream."

"So, you dream of having another beautiful woman fawning over you? Are we not enough for you?" Emilia asked, feigned pain tinging her voice.

"I, uh... well, that is..." I stumbled over my words for a brief moment. Then I thought of the perfect out. "I-it's her turn to answer a question."

"Uh-huh," Meryl added, shaking her head at me. "Why are you here, Shari?"

"I'm here to seek asylum. I was accused of a crime. Stealing some sacred jewels. People were hunting me. I came here to ask for protection. Then I heard of the consort of the queen with a soft heart and tracked him down."

"Did you steal these jewels?" I asked, meeting her eyes. She watched me unblinkingly, a canary-eating grin spreading across her face.

"So, you are a thief," Emilia said matter-of-factly. She turned to me, tapping her lip as she considered me before her. "Does anyone have any questions for our blacksmith so that we can continue with the actual interrogation?"

Out of the corner of my eye, I watched Shari's hand shoot up eagerly. I cut in before she could start. "We could just ask her questions and forget about this game. It seems pretty unnecessary."

"It's essential," Shari retorted, hand still up. The other women watched her.

"Go ahead," Meryl said, nodding to her.

"What exactly is your arrangement with these women?" Shari asked. "You are obviously obsessed with each of them, and they treat you similarly."

"I... Uh... I don't really understand it, to be honest." She stared at me, waiting for me to continue. I looked at the others for help, but their faces were just as blank, and none came. "I... am in love with all of them. There's a prophecy involved, I guess. But I don't know if I believe in any of that. I think I just got lucky that one of them liked me enough to drag me here, and the rest accepted me and maybe even care for me a little."

"You don't think we care for you?" Emilia asked, frowning.

"I... Uh..." I turned to Shari, dodging the question. "Why'd you seek me out?"

"I heard about the queen's consort who stood up to a lord for a maid. I was curious. I watched you for days before I let you see me. When you finally did, you immediately gave me food and treated me well. You never complained that I was following you. You did try to lock me out of your room, but that was never going to work."

"Johann," Meryl began. "What would you do, were you queen, with her?"

"I..." I looked at her, frowning. "I'm not the queen. And I have been considered overly soft at crime."

Carmella snorted, then said, "Just answer the question, blacksmith. Were her fate in your hands, what would you do?"

"I... would grant her asylum... Provisionally. I would have someone watch her. I would ensure that someone was on top of her at all times." Meryl and Shari giggled at that. Carmella's face was still carved from stone, considering me. Emilia rolled her eyes. "Not like that. Someone would be watching her!"

"I do like it when people watch," Shari added huskily. This got a smile from Carmella. I sighed.

"A few more questions, Miss Ahtri," Emilia redirected. Shari returned her attention to the redheaded woman, staring intently. "Did you steal those jewels?"

"I... Yes. I did. In part to return them to who they actually belonged to."

"And what was the other part?" Emilia asked impatiently. Shari's eyes fell on me again, waiting. Emilia growled in annoyance. "Ugh! Johann, if we decide to grant her asylum, would you take responsibility for her? That's the question that she's been building up to this whole time. And Meryl."

"I have not!" Meryl said indignantly.

"Uh-huh. Sure." Emilia met her gaze with the most bemused look I had ever seen on the ordinarily cheerful, smiling face. "Johann?"

"Why would I be in charge of her? I know nothing of asylum or politics or anything!"

"Because she has a thing for you," Carmella said blandly, as though it were the most obvious thing in the world.

"She what? Why? What? How do you even know that? I just learned her name!" I looked at Shari, who was watching me. Her smile had faded, too, and her expression was guarded. I thought I could read curiosity in it, but I wasn't sure.

"Answer the question, Johann." Meryl put in.

"I know a trap when I see one. No matter what I do here, I'm screwed." The women smiled at me suggestively. All of them did. I deflated and sat on the floor, my head in my hands, and asked the room as a whole, "What do you want of me?"

"That's not the question at hand here, blacksmith," Carmella put in. "You should just answer the question. It'll be easier if you just give in."

"You want me to give in now? But not when we're training or any other time?"

"I'm glad you understand," she said simply. I glared at her.

"I-I could show her around. What's the worst that could happen?"

"You could fall in love with a spy, and she could simultaneously destroy the city and you." Emilia put in.

"Fall in love? But... She's not a part of the prophecy, right? That's just us four, isn't it?"

"You don't believe in the prophecy. And it doesn't work that way anyway," Meryl replied. "You could have other lovers. Emilia takes on other lovers from time to time. Carmella would sleep with very concept of patrolling if she could. No one says that what we have now is the whole of it."

"And what happens if I do fall in love with her?"

"Then the thief better know how to share," Carmella replied with an edge in her voice.

"I can share," she said, eyeing me hungrily. Despite the magic circle of truth, that look made me doubt that. I gulped. Why is this happening? I asked myself. Why me?

"Do you accept being in Johann's care?" Meryl asked in her royal decree voice.

"I've been in his care. This just makes it a little more direct."

"And Johann, do you promise to put the wellbeing of the kingdom over the pretty catgirl?" Emilia asked.

"Yes? Of course. When have I not done that?" I asked. She just stared at me with a raised eyebrow. "Oh... That. We're better off without that guy."

"Then let it be so," Meryl declared. "Shari, you're in Johann's care. Johann, if she threatens anyone's safety or the wellbeing of the kingdom, I expect you to deal with it."

"I still think we should know more about the jewels that she stole. Why she did it. How she did it. What if she decides to steal from us."

"Johann will stop her."

"What if he can't."

"Then I'll stop them both," the First Knight added.