Charismatic Billy Belair

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Rosemary said it seemed novel to talk to young clients about estate planning and Leon agreed with her.

"Have you been thinking of changing your gas-guzzling and highly polluting SUV for a more efficient energy-using vehicle Leon?"

"As a matter of fact I have."

"Why?"

"Because the need to do that has arrived... oh, I see where this is going. You want to tell me the need was evident a long way back."

Billy laughed. "No flies on you Leon but enough of such heavy discourse over breakfast. Let's talk fashion. Rosemary, have you thought of smartening up Leon's image at the office? All of our partners wear old-style suits. They look like proprietors of funeral parlors. Wouldn't it be good to have your darling take the lead? I bet the other partners would soon fall into line? The wives would know it was your initiative."

Mother and daughter were now looking at Billy in admiration. Nobody bothered to glance at Leon.

Driving to the office Leon asked, "Sorry you were put on the mat at the partner's meeting. It would have been unethical of me to have warned you."

"No sweat."

"It's rare for us to push an attorney on the rise to knuckle down and work harder."

"Then why was I lifted to junior partner?"

"Well when you do work you have produced spectacular results. Your uncle pushed to get acceptance and I had to lean towards him otherwise Rosemary would have been a pain."

"Well when you have another meeting with your partners, report you did have your quiet word to me as promised but they are unlikely to see me knuckle down because it's not my style."

Lance had the grace to acknowledge with a grin that Billy was on to them about the quiet chat. "You did undertake to work harder to improve your billings."

"Harder doesn't necessarily mean sitting in the office more or being on the phone more. I have signed three clients in the past month by having an hour out for lunch. Do you think I just eat and drink by myself?"

"Well no."

"Cannot I expect my senior to be sharp enough to know how I get results, that it's not really about sitting in negotiations?"

"I guess so."

"Caleb Gold is thinking about coming across to me and working to bring some of his mates if he does. He said he would prefer me being Jewish but as I joked that I'll be acceptable because I put women down a bit and am sharp as a tack."

"Jesus, his ex-wife has come across as a new client for me."

"No problems. You'll never see Caleb in this office. The deal is I go to him, No attorney has ever made that offer."

"That's unsafe practice Billy and you know it."

"Yeah well you try to sign Mr Gold as a client and see how far you get. That group acts like the Mafia but they're not the mob. They sit and drink coffee and booze and plot how to make money, not how to take money and okay they do put out contracts but only to get in unpaid rents and the rule is the defaulter is not to be bruised otherwise a contract will be put out on the debt-collector."

"Billy, you are making me nervous. Christ, we are a highly respected law firm and our reputation means big money to us."

"Now you understand why I'll go to Mr Gold if he signs on."

"I sure do. Christ Billy. Incidentally, what plans do you have for my daughter? Rosemary would ask you but she says she can never get you alone and it's not something once asks over the phone because that means one can't read body language."

"Okay, read my lips Leon. I'll consider marrying your daughter when she asks me. She's still rather apprehensive about me. Tell Rosemary that and tell her not to interfere. Tell her Monique will ask me when she realizes she is ready."

"You have me half-believing she will."

"Add the other half Leon. She will. She's learning I'm nowhere the complex character I appear to be, that the key is to understand how I think. I'll expect you to kick Rosemary's butt if she interferes. No way is Monique going to be driven into this. At present she thinks I'm ego-driven with a brain, care for nobody but myself, am ruthless and totally immoral and treat women as if they were guys. But she thinks she can fix me to her satisfaction."

"Were you listening to her talking to us the other evening?"

"You know I wasn't."

"Well what she said was mighty close to what you've just said."

"I figured she would think like that. Listen, why I have your attention could you get me shifted out of commercial law? It's so fucking boring."

"Where would you like to be, sitting in my chair I suppose?"

"That would be boring. No, I would like to become part of Ashleigh's area of responsibility... development law. I'm particularly well-read and interested in acquisition, disposition, development and land use regulation of residential and mixed-use real estate, shoreline developments and brownfields redevelopments, associated taxation issues and tax shelter registration."

"Ah, areas of interest to Caleb Gold and pals?"

"Very astute. I assume that with your daughter now taking more than a passing interest in me you'll raise this as your own thought with your partners?"

"I see what I can do," Leon mumbled, turning into the basement parking lot and attempting not to bowl people on the sidewalk.

CHAPTER 4

In the elevator Leon said, "Come on up to my office Billy, I need to talk to you."

That puzzled Billy for a second. They'd been in the perfect environment for a confidential talk unless the car was bugged. Then he thought ah, yes, something about their conversation had increased Leon's confidence in him.

They greeted the smiling PA. She asked coffee for two and Leon said, "No thanks Katie, hold all calls please."

When they were seated Leon half-turned away from Billy, looking out at the skyline of buildings. "I'm in a bit of a mess over a woman. She's pregnant and her sister has been working on her. They want half a million or they'll drag me through the courts."

"They?"

"The sister is a paralegal."

"Fine, you want me to investigate?"

"No to negotiate the lowest possible settlement."

"You're not thinking straight Leon, which is the problem when it becomes personal. First we have to try to establish who else has been fucking your lady friend."

"She wouldn't."

"Or yes she would, or at least she might."

Leon tugged at his ear. "You're right. Take control of it for me Billy. I'll email you details."

"Right. Leave no trace. Encrypt your email with the password c-u-?-n-t. The question mark is to make it immeasurably more difficult for code-breaking software to crack."

"I see, and the password is easy to remember?"

"You've got it Leon. I hope you use condoms when with Katie?"

Leon opened his mouth to reply and then grinned. "Get out of my office you sly asshole."

Billy arranged a meeting in a bar with Mandy and Catherine Manners. They were already there and left it to Billy to buy his own drink.

"You said on the phone you represented Mandy's problem man."

"Yes indeed Catherine. It's our wish to avoid heaping embarrassment on to you two."

"Don't you means ruining the career and possibly the marriage of your client?"

"Catherine, we want a peaceful settlement with the dust settling and no sign of this ever having happened. "Mandy, there is still time to have an abortion if that's you wish. You might like to take a look at this list of names."

"Mandy took the list, turned white and her band began shaking.

"What is it?" Catherine asked. "Steve's name is here, who are these other four?"

Mandy through up her hands and her sister said, "Oh you fool... you slut."

"As you can see ladies, any legal action will result in substantiated claims that Mandy is a ... well, not need to use the term here and no doubt her senior position with IRS will be in jeopardy. Do you have any assurances for me ladies."

"You certainly have Mr Hunt although I heavily suspect that's not your real name. Please inform your client this matter is no closed. Is that you wish Mandy?"

"Hell yes. What do you think I am – stupid?"

"Good, you have our assurance we'll not be counter-claim alleging criminal extortion."

Mandy began crying and Billy left under Catherine's baleful stare.

Billy went to a more hospitable bar and called Leon but his phone was off. He called Katie and asked to be put through but was told Leone was with important clients. "Put me through Katie, he won't object.

"What's the urgency," Leon snapped."

"It's Billy re the question mark matter. No case left to answer. No fee payable to me but would like $1125 for legwork and interviews by P.I. firm."

"That is brilliant, brilliant Billy. A big load has lifted. Thanks. Bye."

Billy entered the bar. The fat bar lady of 50-something appeared to be in charge and looked unhappy. "Bad day?" he asked conversationally.

She went off and he thought how rude, but she placed a letter in front of him. Basically it said the company wanted her lease of the property that had another five years to run to be assigned to them and then presented the offer.

"Looks a good offer to me," Billy said, "but if they don't get it they can't develop the site. They probably have purchased or have options to purchase some properties alongside you."

"They have, two of them."

"Oh that's good. How much would you like to screw out of them? From what you've told me you ought to get three times what they're offering."

"I'd like to go to live in the same town as my sister in Canada. If I get enough money could retire."

"Right, fetch me paper and pen and let's work out how much you require and what your debts are. Is they any other party involved in your lease of this property?"

"No, I bought my ex-husband out."

"I'd need to see that agreement."

"What, are you an attorney?" the woman said, looking over the top of her reading glasses at him.

"Yes, and one who picks up business in bars."

She grinned. "But I have an attorney."

"Then why isn't he doing this for you?"

"She – her name is Miriam – read the letter and said squeeze another twenty percent out of them and she'd complete the transaction."

"Well let her do the paperwork. I'll simply act as your agent, requiring you to pay me twenty percent of every dollar I get you over this offer but including to that the twenty percent Miriam suggest you try to get."

"So I keep eighty percent gross of the sale price above the offer plus twenty?"

"Yes."

"That means you make um $180,000 for jam?"

"My law firm does, yes."

"That's daylight robbery."

"Well you or your attorney go to this company and see how much you get."

"How much would we get?"

"Depends on your skill in negotiating. You have to convince the developer to see value in paying what you want him to pay."

"I'll say they either pay what I want or wait five years till my lease comes up for renewal."

Billy grinned and said, "Good thinking but the head of the negotiating team says too bad you greedy bitch, and you lose out. We'll invest our money elsewhere."

"The bastards."

"Yeah, a tough world isn't it?"

"I suppose you would be smooth-tongued and ease the bastards to paying what we want."

"Something like that. It's your call."

"Here, have another drink. My name is Susan."

Monique was in her office, working with a calculator when Billy entered the office. He leaned against the entrance into her cubicle and drawled, "Since I'm fucking you..."

"Billy!"

"... I wonder if you'd like to spend five nights in Paris next week or the week after."

"Paris, oh darling. Could we make it the week after next? I'll call daddy now asking approval for you and me to be away."

"Good, tell him that's three working days. We'll either fly out on a Friday night or go Tuesday night and return on the Sunday. I've been given the air tickets and hotel. You might like to collect them off me and make the bookings once you have secured leave approval."

"Yes sir, very good sir. It is my pleasure to do this for you."

"All right, I'll do it."

"No leave it to me, it will be a pleasure to do if for you. After all I am so grateful you are fucking me."

"Monique, for goodness sake, lower your voice," Billy said, looking around nervously.

At 4:00 Rosemary called Monique to say she and Julia were ready to take Monique and Billy to view apartments. They were driving around the block."

"Mom, I'm working to a schedule."

"Just drop it and catch up later. Billy will be able to come instantly. Leon and Lance say Billy in always wandering around the place so if he's in the office he'll be available. That information meant Monique wasn't at all surprised when Billy grabbed his jacket and said yeah he could come right away and no he didn't have to call anyone to say he was leaving the office.

"Billy Belair, you have got it sweet in this office and all done without groveling or making demands. You cunning swine, you ought to be an attorney."

Billy gave Monique a cheesy grin and then kissed her in front of anyone on their floor who was bothering to watch. As they broke away people around them applauded.

As they waited for the car to appear Billy said, "Let's not mess around – let's settle on one of these apartments tonight, tomorrow night at the latest, providing we see value in it"

"Why the rush?"

"Because otherwise we could be trooping around looking until exhausted and then we buy stupidly because it all seems too hard."

"Okay – you appear to be talking sense. I'm not bad on instinct," Monique said. "Here's mom now."

"Oh this has been so exciting looking at how other people live," Julia said. "We short-listed six of those we liked in the presentation but have since tossed one, so that leaves five to view. Your requirements Billy were spacious, garaging, pool and not in the heartland of the gay community, near a park and within longish walking distance of the office. We knew what to look for you Monique. Now have a look at these realty brochures while we drive to Chelsea."

Julia and driver Rosemary chatted in the front while the prospective buyers went through the brochures.

Monique spoke first. Apartment one: "No, um I suppose it's no."

"Give it to me and I'll call the agency. They have someone on standby to take us to inspect so I'll call and cancel," Julia said.

Apartment two: "No the curtains are pretty but the kitchen is too small. No."

Apartment three: "Yes; no look at the price."

Apartment four: "Maybe; perhaps I could live there."

Apartment five: "Maybe, perhaps I could live there."

Billy gave his thoughts. "Right the first two are rejected, let's view apartment three now if that's convenient to Mrs Copeland."

Julia picked up the apartment three folder. "Oh, this is the one Rosemary and I both said we could live there at your age, even now if we ran out of money. But the price is steep for you guys."

"$5.3 million – I don't think so," Billy said.

"I do."

"Baby, look carefully at what's on offer and think of the mortgage as buying at today's low price above our cash resources but selling in years to come when prices will be much higher, although perhaps not much higher in real terms. Two bedrooms, two bathrooms, two studies – it's made for a working professional couple. A whole floor, so no noisy neighbors and the building will be well insulated and sound-proofed because it's only three years old and we view the Hudson, will have plenty of sun and its nearer the office than I expected and is with easy walking distance of the piers."

"In your head you have purchased already haven't you?"

Billy grinned. "You're on to me baby. Pay half the cash up front and we have our home. I'll buy tonight if it measures up to the brochure – how long has it been on the market Julia?"

"I'm talking to Gloria the saleswoman now. Just a moment... it came on last Thursday; three viewers have reacted very positively."

"Thanks, that could be true, perhaps not."

Rosemary drove them away just before 8:00. "I can't believe you guys committed and signed up after the first view. There are hundreds of apartments to view."

"We have no wish to run out tails off mom. We examined that apartment minutely and thought everything through. As Billy says it's only money and we need to regard money as a tool. We have total confidence in our ability to meet mortgage repayments and I shouldn't wonder we will pay off the mortgage rapidly to use our home as security when we make our next business venture. When you and dad first married you guys lived for almost two years with your parents. What about you Mrs Copeland?"

"You must call me Julia dear. We lived three months with Lance's parents and then he was hired as legal officer for a bank and a house went with the appointment. I can see where this is going dear. When we secured that rented house we thought it was a thousand dollar windfall. I guess in today's money that would be a million bucks."

Rosemary asked Julia to call Lance around for drinks and they'd all eat out.

"That's a lovely idea don't you agree guys?"

"Yes, it's been a really big day for us. Thank you mom; you are being so supportive."

When the group was on to another round of cocktails Lance said (winking at Billy), "You guys, Julia and I want to furnish the apartment. You are using up almost all of your money. We are just so happy you two are together. "

"We'll manage," Billy said but Monique was not having that. "Oh thank you Julia and er Lance. That is so generous of you and makes us so very happy."

"Yes, so lovely," Rosemary said. "Lance and Julia would you please allow Leon and me to contribute half and we should include décor as well. Although the vacation house is soaking up money we always find money when we need it."

"Oh mom, that is a wonderful gesture. This is like finding I have an extended family and all of you guys are like family for Billy in Manhattan along with Sonia. This is such a wonderful evening for me. She kissed Julia and Rosemary and the men and then made an announcement: "Providing Billy remains willing, we will probably marry in spring next year." The women rushed Monique and their husbands looked at Billy who held up his hands and shrugged.

"It appears Monique is learning to go after what she wants. You guys will be aware for Monique she took a huge leap forward this evening when she agreed to contributed $2.5 million towards a piece of real estate. That takes real guts."

The guys nodded, eyeing Monique and waiting for their turn to be kissed.

Over dinner Leon said, "Billy, those air tickets to France. I trust they did not arrive to you in lieu of fees?"

"No, just from an exceptionally grateful person who actually is a client of yours Leon. She said I removed a nightmare from her back, her ex-husband who goes by the name of Caleb Gold. I received a gratis payment from you for my work if you remember but a team that had not included me represented her. I was called in as Mr Fix-it. Even so she was not my client, technically or otherwise. Seek counsel from the Lance."

"Are you going to France?" Julia asked.

"Yes and taking Monique. The flight and hotel for five nights are all paid for. Mrs Gold won them in a raffle and said I was a very worthy cause."

"Leave it Leon. Billy wouldn't even have to be sharp to win this one if you are thinking of disputing Billy's non-declaration."

"Dad, don't be such an asshole."

"All right, all right. Billy sails close to the wind. I was just checking. If Mrs Gold was simply transferring a raffle prize what business of it is mine? And darling, I think that's the first time you've ever called me an asshole. I'm wondering if Billy Belair is a good influence on you?"

Everyone but Leon rolled around in laughter but slowly he beamed.

* * *

Early next morning Monique wanted to see was the vacated apartment looked like in the morning, so Billy went with her. The salesperson had given Monique a key and the security code to enter the elevator. Billy had arranged to rent the apartment from the developer until all closing transactions finalized.