Christmas Chickadee

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Dana, my name is Carla. I'm married to one of the principals in the firm. Andy is an important partner of our business. He is talented in so many ways. If he has a flaw it's that he works too much, though he doesn't know it. He loves what he does and he's good at it. It won't take you long to appreciate his work ethic and sense of humor. He also has an insatiable curiosity.

Andy leaned over and whispered into my ear, "Had enough?"

I nodded in the affirmative. I had glanced at my watch a few minutes earlier and found it was getting towards seven o'clock—past the time I had planned to leave. But I had been having a pretty good time. The conversions were polite and interesting. It was a little different from what had I expected. Maybe it was because it was a new group of people that made it interesting.

I learned quite a bit about Andy from listening to comments made by others, particularly the women. Though I was sure they were at least a little guarded in what they said in my presence. There had been a good many glances directed my way as I stood near Andy when we first arrived. I understood quickly I was an item, or rather, Andy and I were an item. Nevertheless, his coworkers were friendly and easy going. We walked out together and went to the cloak room. I retrieved my coat and was surprised to find Andy ready to help me on with it. I handed the coat to him with a smile.

"You really are a gentlemen aren't you?"

"Let's just say my mother would approve," he chuckled.

It was just this kind of response that had endeared him to me during the party. I watched as he put his coat on as we left the cloak room and wondered what it was I should do now. I really didn't want the day to end just yet. At least not the part that included Andy. How should I approach this? After all, I didn't' want to throw herself at him as the other women had. But I knew I wanted more time with him.

"Come on. I'll walk you to your car," he offered.

I automatically looked for his arm and found it waiting. I felt my heart race again. Damn it! It had taken a while for it to beat normally and now it was pulsing hard in my ears. How could this be happening all over again? I thought I was over this kind of response after spending almost three hours with him. Arriving at my car I pushed the key fob to unlock the door. He opened the door for me and smiled.

"Dana thank you for...er... your protection. I really enjoyed our time together."

"Me too. I mean...well...you know."

As I turned to get into the car seat the foot that held my weight slipped on the ice and I fell forward past the door. His arms caught me as I fell fully and firmly—my head coming to rest onto his chest. His arms fully encircled me and held me upright as I regained my balance. I looked up at him, my face beet red. Not again!

"You know that shade of red makes you look so adorable. I could grow to like it."

"Andy. You know I'm really not this clumsy. I mean...I'm really not."

"Dana. Are you free for dinner tomorrow evening? I think you need to prove to me you're not. Think about it. Here's my business card. Call me if you want me to take you to a nice restaurant. Don't even think fast food."

I sank down into the seat and Andy closed the door for me. I saw his gorgeous hazel eyes and lips that beckoned my own. My emotions were going all over the place. I managed a small wave as I pulled out slowly. My heart raced; my face still flushed. All I could think—I was one very happy klutz. He had asked me out. That incredibly handsome man had asked me out!

As I drove home I came to the conclusion Andy really did need protection. Only next time it might be from me. I knew I was completely infatuated with him. What a hunk! An incredibly intelligent, handsome man who could make me laugh. At least, when I wasn't somehow bumbling into him in some fashion.

I thought about the events of the afternoon and evening after I got home. In terms of affirmative action the behavior of the men interested in me were not much different from the women interested in Andy. If it had been in an office environment it would have been a problem. Maybe it still was. But being away from the office, having drinks, and an opportunity to release stress while at the party had to be taken into account and given consideration too. For the most part, the Christmas party had been enjoyable enough.

Jake had been obnoxious, but he was never that way while at work. His behavior after a few drinks simply didn't make a good impression. Probably something one of his friends would relate to him later. He was certainly not the kind of man I was interested in. I stepped out of the shower, took off my shower cap, and decided not to wear anything to bed. I slipped into bed and fell asleep with the memory of Andy's strong arms wrapped tightly around me. His odor played in my mind—a man smell that attracted me as if a pheromone.

December 12th dawned cloudy and colder. I fixed breakfast and got dressed for work. I took my car keys and wallet out of my clutch purse and when I did Andy's business card fell out onto the floor. I picked it up, looked at it, and placed it in my wallet. I fully intended to call Andy and accept his offer of dinner. It was the first thing that came into my mind when I woke. The mere thought of it warmed me and sent a wave of excitement surging through my body. This wasn't like high school or college where I had dated quite a few men though. I thought over those years—when was the last time a man had affected me so strongly right from the first time I had laid eyes on him up close? That wasn't hard to answer—never!

After I had attended my morning meetings I returned to my office and completed a draft memo, setting it aside to look at later. I opened my desk drawer, pulled out my purse and took Andy's business card out of my wallet. My heart rate jumped up as I picked up the phone and started to dial the number. Their receptionist answered the phone, asked who I wanted to speak to, and my name. When I gave my name there was a long pause.

"Are you the woman who was with him at the Christmas party?"

"Yes. Andy asked me to confirm our plans for dinner tonight. If he's in a meeting I'd like to leave a message for him please."

"No. I'll put you through."

"Thank you."

"Dana, I was hoping you would call. I wasn't sure you would, given the unusual circumstances of our meeting," his voice friendly and deep.

"Andy, I understand. But I enjoyed our time together. It certainly made the party more fun as opposed to having to avoid people."

I heard him chuckle a little. "I know exactly what you mean. Good, I enjoyed it too. Do you have a preference in terms of a restaurant? I was thinking Italian. But Tex-Mex would work too."

"Italian sounds delightful, Antonio's is nice."

"Antonio's it is."

We talked for a few minutes, set a time, and I gave him my address and cell phone number just in case something went awry. I hung up the phone feeling elated. This was going to happen! I was excited, not only because I was going out with him, but he hadn't flinched at the mention of eating at Antonio's. It was pricey, but it was absolutely the best Italian in town. Apparently, he felt I was worth it even on a first date. Maybe he was trying to impress me—if so, it was working.

But then I started second guessing myself—perhaps I should have suggested another restaurant. Maybe it wasn't wise to appear as a high maintenance woman. Well, it was too late now. I finished my day handling rather routine matters and left for home in a good mood. I had a date to get ready for. As I got ready my mind wandered.

At the age of twenty six I felt I was accomplished in not only my profession, but also in dealing with men. Or so I thought—my breakup was something that had taken me a long time to accept. My boyfriend of almost two years had left me for another woman without so much as an attempt to remedy what he thought was wrong with our relationship. It had been a severe blow to my ego—as the woman was hardly as attractive as I was, at least in my own estimation. After a while I knew my estimation was not the one that counted.

I found out the real attraction had been in shared interests, not entirely on physical beauty. Men might like a good looking woman at first blush, but when it came down to picking a potential spouse the criteria could change. It was true, we didn't share much in common when we first met, but I thought we had tried hard to find things of mutual interest as our relationship matured.

Six years earlier, I had become interested in watching birds and I had tried to interest him in that activity. I thought being outside with him would be something he would enjoy as a man. It turned out not to be the case—he disliked the time we spent on the activity and never told me. He simply decided not to join me when I went birding with one excuse or another after a while. The fact I never caught on was telling—our communication was poor and not entirely honest, I should have seen it.

I selected a pair of burgundy dress slacks with a navy blue jacket combined with a white and burgundy striped blouse with a plunging neckline, a pair of black, fashionable low heeled shoes set the ensemble off. I freshened my lip gloss and clear nail polish, and selected a silver necklace. I had never been comfortable wearing much makeup, but then I had a skin color and complexion that was radiant without it. I decided to wear my hair long, not putting it up in a bun as at work. I combed it out until it gleamed. I added just a hint of dark blue eyeliner and trimmed a loose eyebrow hair or two.

I was ready about ten minutes before Andy was due to pick me up. I selected my black clutch bag and placed my apartment keys and wallet inside. I noticed a condom package was still in the bag and decided to leave it in—not that I thought it would get used, I was still on the pill. I heard the doorbell ring, walked to the door, looked out the peep hole, and saw Andy standing outside. I opened the door with a broad smile, my heart ticking faster with excitement.

"Hi! Hope you found me without too much trouble."

"No trouble at all. You provided excellent directions. Here, let me help you on with your overcoat. It's cooled down some and the wind is up."

I looked him over as I slipped on my coat. He wasn't wearing a tie. The attractive gray sweater over a light blue, button-down collar dress shirt, and dark gray slacks looked classy. He looked absolutely delicious!

At the Christmas party we had shared basic personal information to introduce themselves. I was surprised to find Andy was but two years older than I was. Being with him at the parties revealed he had the poise and maturity I usually attributed to an older man. It didn't surprise me why women at his firm found him so attractive.

I felt my heart beat tick upward at the touch of his hand on my arm as we walked out the door to the car. He was such a gentleman. This promised to be a wonderful night, I could feel it. We arrived at the restaurant and walked into the elegant lobby.

The hostess smiled warmly, "Good evening, Mr. Hudson. Your table is ready."

"Thank you, Angela. You look wonderful tonight."

Angela beamed. "Why thank you."

There wasn't much doubt he frequented this restaurant often. Once seated our waitress appeared almost immediately, smiling broadly as she approached the table.

"Mr. Hudson, nice to see you again. Will you be interested in wine with your meal this evening?"

"Yes, Lynda, you know my preference. But I'm afraid I'm not familiar with what the lady would like."

The waitress looked at me with a smile and handed me the wine list. I looked at the list and made my selection.

The waitress smiled. "Very well, two glasses of Taylor's Vintage Port, 1985."

Andy smiled. "You have excellent tastes. I'm impressed. Most women prefer a Chablis."

"Not fruity enough for me. But what I intend to order influences what I select." I wasn't a wine snob, but I was somewhat knowledgeable.

"Indeed."

I found our conversation easy and relaxed. It didn't seem Andy was trying to impress me as many men attempted to do on a first date. They usually went overboard. But he already had just by being himself. He asked about my family, education, and interests. I told him about all but one of my interests—the one I most often received ridicule for. After a while it seemed as if I had told him my life story. He had listened closely and had asked additional questions as I revealed myself.

It was so different from the majority of men I had dated who tended to talk more about themselves. It was refreshing. The meal was every bit as good as I thought it would be and when the check came he paid with his credit card. I noticed he added a sizable gratuity for the waitress. He tipped well.

He helped me on with my coat and proffered his arm as we stepped outside. I took it as it had started to snow again while we dined. I didn't need to slip and fall in my slick soled shoes. It would be nice not to fall into his arms accidentally for a change. It took twenty minutes to get back to my apartment and I invited him in. There was no way I wasn't going to after that wonderful meal and stimulating conversation. The only thing I regretted, I hadn't found out much more about him, he seemed a little reluctant to reveal too many personal details. He seemed cautious.

We sat on opposite ends of the sofa facing each other and talked. He looked at the coffee table, smiled, and picked up the field guide to the birds I had been reviewing earlier in the week.

"So how many species on your life list?"

"You know about life lists?" I said somewhat surprised.

"Yes. Mine stands at 503 species. I hope to add to it in the next few months."

"I'm not anywhere close to that. I have 291 species. I've birded in Michigan and in Ohio a little bit, with a few short trips to Florida while visiting family."

We spent the next hour talking about our favorite birding locations and the nuances of identifying specific species and groups. I appreciated how competent he was. No wonder his company found him such an asset. It was at the end of our conversation I learned he would be leaving to establish a new office in California at the beginning of the year.

I also learned he was the newest principal in the firm. He had mentioned it matter-of-factly when I asked why he was selected to establish the new office. He would likely be gone for two months, maybe more, before returning home. I felt disappointed, I would probably not see him in the future. The chances of getting to know one another well enough before he left seemed to not offer much potential to establish a long-term relationship.

It had been a wonderful evening as I walked him to the door. We were within three steps of the door when my foot snagged the edge of the rug and I tilted forward. Andy caught me under my arms and held me upright. The thought flashed through my mind that this was now the second time I had found myself in this position. I felt my face go red as his strong arms held me close. Once again, my breasts pressed firmly against him. Once I regained my feet, he slowly released me. He smiled as he reached for the door knob.

"You know, I really would like to see you again. I think it would be nice to take you dancing—I would like to hold you for a while longer. Just catching you like this is a little awkward for both of us."

I smiled through my flushed face, feeling like a klutz all over again. "I would like that, I managed to get out.

I watched out the window as he walked through the falling snow to his car and drove off. I still felt terribly embarrassed. I just couldn't seem to go any length of time without doing something stupid in his presence. I was left again with a reminder of his manly aroma and the feel of his strong arms around me. It wasn't quite an hour later when my phone rang. I wasn't sure who in the world would be calling this late? It was almost nine. Maybe it was bad news—my parents calling to tell me Uncle Matthew wasn't doing well again.

"Hello, Dana speaking."

"Dana this is Andy. Would you be up to doing some birding tomorrow? I was planning on going to Port Huron to check the river, my last birding trip before leaving. I realize this is sudden. But I thought if you didn't have other plans you might be interested. I would have mentioned it while we were talking about birds, but thought it would be poor form to ask on such short notice. Then, I realized, I was probably overthinking the whole thing. If you can't, or don't want to go, I completely understand."

I felt myself go warm with excitement. "I would love to go. What time do you want to pick me up?"

"Are you willing to leave early? Say by seven?"

"Yes, I'll be ready."

"Great! See you at seven. Sweet dreams."

I put the phone down, walked to the sofa and lay down. I didn't know exactly what to think. This was moving so fast. I jumped up from the sofa and almost ran to the bedroom. I got my clothes around for the next day and checked to make sure my shoulder bag with my binoculars and notebook was ready. I walked back out to the coffee table, picked up the field guide and returned to the bedroom to place in my bag.

I felt stupid. I hadn't mentioned my interest in birds during the entire evening despite all of his questions. Why didn't I? After all he was a biologist. Why wouldn't he have been interested? I should have realized that. But I knew why—none of the men I had dated had done anything but make fun of my interest in birds. It suggested I was someday going to be one of those stereotypical old ladies in pink tennis shoes that stalked birds in the city park. If I hadn't left the field guide on the coffee table I would be sitting home tomorrow until I called a girlfriend or found something to do. Probably birding or shopping.

Then it occurred to me. Why hadn't I known he was interested in birds? I realized hadn't asked about his interests specifically. We had talked about our jobs and other topics, I hadn't asked what he liked to do when he wasn't working. I set my alarm and tried to fall asleep as a vision of his wonderful soft eyes came to me again. Then the feeling of his arms around me. It was the last thing I remembered as sleep took me gently into the peaceful world of dreams.

The display read December 13, 6:25 AM as I got up before the alarm went off at 6:30. I quickly showered and got dressed, ate breakfast, and made sure to make use of the bathroom just before Andy was due to arrive. I saw his car pull in and quickly grabbed my hooded coat and shoulder bag and headed for the parking lot so he wouldn't have to walk up to get me. I reached the car just as he started to open his door. He closed the door, staying inside once he saw how close I was.

"Good morning, Andy," I said cheerfully as I was slid into the passenger seat.

"Good morning. I stopped and picked up a coffee for both of us. As I remember, you like yours black just as I do."

"Yes, I do. Thanks. I ate a light breakfast but didn't make coffee. I hope you had something to eat too."

"I did. But you know we can stop anytime and get something to eat if we want. It's not like we're chasing a rarity and have to make as it soon as we can to maximize our chances of seeing it."

"Are you into that?"

"No, not really. I prefer to find my own rare birds. For the most part, I don't get a lot of satisfaction chasing birds others have found. I like seeing something new, but I enjoy seeing the same species in different locations even if I have seen them many times before. Does that make sense?"

"Yes, I can understand that. It's just like anything else. You always get more satisfaction out of something you have worked for or found yourself."

123456...9