All Comments on 'Church Lady Ch. 02'

by dispatcher59

Sort by:
  • 4 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Must

This must be about the most stupid story I have ever read.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago

This is super goofy but I came anyway. 7/10.

dommasterjimdommasterjimalmost 4 years ago
Interesting Story line..!

It definitely kept my attention.. Not the typical read-and-stroke story....

Thanks for the engaging read...

Please.. another chapter, or 2...

OvercriticalOvercriticalalmost 4 years ago
Good follow-up, but...

Apparently a good conclusion to a pretty good story, but upon reflection it really doesn't hold water. I know from personal experience that this scenario makes great fantasy, but little sense. I, too, was alone at age 59 and teamed up with a woman of 50 (close enough). The difference was that we were both single (divorced) and were not required to cheat or hide our relationship from anyone.

These two people were carrying on an adulterous affair and had to hide, and most of all, had to limit their contact time. I remember when I was entering into this late-in-life relationship I relished the time we spent together, both in person and on the phone and other kinds of contact. (She was a physician in a medical practice and wasn't available on the phone during the day so we exchanged these formal, coded fax messages which we thought we were so clever about hiding our purpose from her secretarial staff, but we apparently fooled them for about 2 days and then they caught on - obviously this was before the days of emails and texting so some other methods had to be used. We had fun even if we didn't really fool anyone.) The point was that we engaged in about 2 years of remote contact before we joined households and we had a multitude of ways to contact and communicate. This couple gets together for sex maybe three times a week for a total of about 5 hours or so. What does he do for the other 107 waking hours of his week? He doesn't seem to have a job. They don't have meals together. They don't go to plays, movies or restaurants together. They don't socialize with friends. I don't believe you can build a long term, stable relationship (including an unlikely double illegitimate child segment) on a few hours of sex a week in the back of a Toyota van. It might be cute for a while, but it really sounds demeaning to me. The author throws in the explanatory nugget of info that her husband has a close, work relationship with his assistant and doesn't seem to excite her much after 23 years of marriage, but that's still no excuse for adultery and having 2 children with another man. I will tell you right now that the instant erections and copious sperm production will not last and what else do they have. I'm in my 80's now and I'll tell you that you have to have something else. I lost my late-in-life partner to cancer after 19 years and I have many fond memories of those years, but there was certainly a lot more to it than sex (although we didn't try it in the back of a van).

I initially rated this segment a 4*, because I liked the way the story was put together, but if I could change the rating (which apparently you cannot) I'd probably demote it to about a 2* because the second installment is pure foolishness although the first was kind of novel fantasy and deserved my 4* rating.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userdispatcher59@dispatcher59
New Yorker with a predilection for older "Girl Next Door" types and Weather Channel gals.

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES