Clowning Around

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"What the hell have you done?" I writhed, desperate to scratch.

"Moi?"

It was then she showed me the box of itching powder, maximum strength it said as if there were levels of discomfort, but this was driving me insane. I heard our music playing. I was going out of my mind and shoved past Francis, ran into the ring and dived headfirst into the vat of batter. Even the circus band missed a beat, Francis stood shocked.

As I emerged, albeit to gales of laughter, I could see Teresa peering through the curtain laughing.

Touche' girl... Touche.

7. The Accident

It was a very average Wednesday afternoon matinee. We had performed and I had showered and was waiting backstage for the final parade. Teresa was performing her high wire act, something she did three times a day, every day. I was in my own world, daydreaming of what to make for dinner or what we could do after the last show when the band struck up playing Stars and Stripes Forever. I froze. Most people would recognise the tune; however, it was seldom played in the circus. Tradition dictated that it would only ever be played if there was an emergency. I had been told of its circus name, The Disaster March.

I leapt up; other performers were before me running for the ring. As I breached the curtain Francis stopped me.

"No! Stay back..."

I shoved him aside. There, lying on the ring floor was Teresa. The crowd were screaming now, there were wails and cries of anguish. She had fallen from the wire, landing on the hard surface. I ran to her but was held back. The ringmaster was asking for calm, asking the audience to slowly leave the big top.

***

The cup of coffee had gone cold some hours before, I sat beside Francis, the walls of the waiting room lined with medical posters. Teresa had been rushed to the local hospital. Nobody would tell us what was happening so we had sat, in a pallid silence waiting for news.

"Hello, you came in with Teresa Gallo?"

"Yes, how is she?"

The doctor explained that she had been seriously injured which caused me to burst into tears. She had broken several bones and had been in a lot of pain. She was resting now and had been given a large dose of painkillers so we couldn't see her. He promised we could return in the morning.

I had gone back with Francis and had sobbed myself to sleep.

***

The next day I had a few hours before the matinee so I rushed to the hospital. Teresa was lying in bed; she had a collar around her neck and she looked miserable. I burst into tears again when I saw her, I had promised I would be strong, but had lost it immediately.

She couldn't remember the accident, but it seemed, from what I had been told, a piece of rigging had failed under tension, she never stood a chance.

We talked, but she was in pain. The doctors had told her that she may not walk again, let alone perform.

I was devastated.

***

We had to move on.

The life of the circus meant that, even though my heart was tied to the girl I loved, we had to physically move to a new city. I tried to see her when I could, but the schedule was so tight and it meant that I was borrowing a car or a van on our rare days off to see her.

She was slowly improving, but it was clear it would be many months before she could return to any form of normality.

***

"Jane!"

I ran to the caravan. Francis looked excited; his phone was in his hand.

"She's coming back to us."

I was delighted, I hugged and kissed him. Teresa would be returning to us in the next town. I could take the ringmaster's car and collect her as we packed up and moved on. In that night's show, I was walking on air. Lapping up the audience applause.

It was two days later that I collected Teresa, she was walking with a crutch, but still walking. I daren't ask about her act, I was just pleased to have her back in the family.

As she walked into the big top, she was embraced by everyone. Of course, we all thought the same thing, she couldn't work with a crutch, and there was no place for her if she wasn't performing. It seemed cruel but it was the way it was.

I didn't know what to do... There had to be a solution.

8. Concessions Made

I was walking through the audience carrying a tray of ice creams and candies. It was the life of the circus, you had to do any and every role. As I approached the woman in the ringside seat, I knew she would be trouble.

"Ices' madam?"

"No... Go away!"

Oh... I thought. How rude. I was only doing my job.

"I am sorry." I turned around, accidentally tipping the tray and dropping an open ice cream in her lap. She screamed. The audience around us fell silent.

"You stupid girl!" She yelled at me.

"I am so sorry..."

"You are stupid..." The woman paused. "Actually yes, I will buy something."

"Yes madam."

"I'll have ice cream."

"Yes madam." I smiled and handed her the large tub, before turning to move on.

"You! Stupid girl. This is melted!"

"I am sorry?"

"Stupid girl!" The woman flung the melted ice cream at my chest, the sloppy mess slithered down my top. "And, I wanted toppings!" She shoved me down so I fell onto the ring-fence, grabbing the bottles of ice cream topping from my tray she squirted them into my face. I was covered in chocolate and strawberry sauces.

I gasped. The audience, who, by now were transfixed also gasped.

"Anything else, Madam?" I asked in a defeated tone.

"Yes... I'll have nachos..."

I shuddered as I handed her the oversized tub of melted cheese with chips dipped into it. She leaned forward and tipped the stinking mess over my head. It dribbled down my neck and coated my hair.

"Is that all madam?" I squeaked.

"No... Is this popcorn buttered?"

I nodded and she grabbed the bucket of melted butter. She gestured for me to stand up and turn around. Pulling out my waistband she proceeded to fill my leggings with slippery butter before commanding me to sit down. I won't say where most of that warm liquid ended up, but I knew I would be slithering about for days.

"Would you like a free topping, madam?"

To be honest, I was so thrown by what had happened I was on autopilot and was offering the topping I had forgotten to offer with her ice cream. She took the box and covered my sticky hair with hundreds and thousands.

I stood up. Cheese, butter and ice cream dripping from me, totally humiliated and slithered my way out of the audience.

I had to be quick, I only had a few minutes to shower. The evil cow Teresa had added melted butter to the tray, I had sworn when I saw it sat there. However, as a pre-show attraction the snooty madam always shocked and delighted the audience, and, Teresa was a natural clown at heart!

***

She hobbled backstage after the show giggling.

"Your face!"

"Butter! Oh, you bitch... I couldn't wash it off in time..."

I hugged her. It was great to have her back. Maybe we didn't have a high wire act, however, the reviews we were getting for the clown performances more than made up for it. And, as it was the end of the season approaching, we had a few months for her to get fit and rehearse with her as our newest addition to the clown family.

However, I made her promise, when she was fitter, we were taking it in turns to do the concession gag, and I was going to find some tasty treats for her.

Sour cream and Guacamole anyone?

9. Enter, The Gladiators

The band strike up Entry of the Gladiators. The tune makes me come alive every time I hear it. I hug Francis and Tre and we are almost ready. The ringmaster steps out to announce the show and seconds after I stumble on as if lost.

Of course, he looks cross. Asking me to leave before calling for security, and there they are. Dressed as police officers, Francis and Teresa. Will I come quietly? Of course not, they try to cuff me, accidentally cuffing each other together, pratfalling and cartwheeling. Oh, she has become so strong during the closed season.

Roy and Steve step into the ring carrying pies, they try to hit me but I duck at the last second and they flan each other. There is chaos.

I turn to run, not seeing the vat which has been pushed into the ring. I hit the padded edge falling headlong with a massive splash in the batter before appearing again, a white blob. I try to step out but slip and fall. Teresa steps up to help me, I grab her hand and drag her into the thick batter.

We wrestle in the ooze before Roy and Steve rush on with a tarpaulin cover. We soon are covered, lying in the mess as it is pushed from the ring.

As for what we do alone in there together... Well, that's our secret, but we don't need to get out until the interval.

You know what, Francis was right. I do have sawdust in my blood.