Coercion

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Chapter-6

My wife reached out to me, "Nolan, honey? You have to believe me. I didn't do this. I've never cheated on you. You KNOW I would never do such a thing. It disgusts me more than you to look at that photograph. I have no idea where it came from or how I came to be in it. I admit that it looks really bad for me but you KNOW me. Please tell me you believe me," she pleaded.

I looked at her. I needed answers, answers that seemingly were in short supply. "Christine, you swear you haven't cheated but the picture says otherwise. If you don't want me to divorce you, give me a reasonable explanation for that picture, and all the other evidence stacked against you. Give me something to work with, Christine, SOMETHING!" I urged.

Divorce? She tried to think of any explanation that might appease him but she came up empty. "I don't know, Nolan. I don't know how or why this is happening to me. All I know is that I didn't do it. I need you to trust me, honey. I love you, only you, and I need you on my side."

I wasn't convinced. "I'm afraid I need more than 'I don't know', Christine. If the circumstances were reversed, what would you do? I'll tell you what you would do. You would kick me out so fast it would make my head swim. That's you in that picture; there's no doubt. Who would know to fake your custom tattoo or your wedding ring? It's not photo-shopped. It's the real deal, and you have nothing to say in your defense? I can't deal with this, Christine. It's too much."

Justin, sensing the dire urgency of the situation stepped back into the conversation.

"Listen you two. You're both in shock over this right now. I can see that the overwhelming evidence is unexplainable at the moment. I can't explain it myself. The only notion that makes any sense to me is the mob or mafia. If they came to you unaware in the wee hours of the morning, rendered you unconscious somehow, kidnapped you, carried you to the motel where Deshawn was, staged the photo, planted the DNA and fingerprint evidence while you were there, then brought you back home, leaving you with no memory of it at all when you arose Sunday morning; it's quite a stretch for anyone to believe. Why the mob would go to so much trouble to frame you for the murder of a lowly drug dealer is a mystery. It defies logic and common sense. We may never uncover the unfiltered truth here but I have a couple of suggestions that may enable the two of you to get through this, and possibly keep you out of prison, Christine. That is if you're interested."

"You bet I'm interested! There's got to be a way out of this. How do you see that happening, Justin? Please tell me you have a plan."

"As strange as it may sound, I'm inclined to believe you, Christine. You've been very convincing. But I've been involved in enough cases that my gut instinct has been fooled before. As I said, your first priority should be securing Nolan's trust. If he leaves and divorces you, your future outlook would be very drab indeed. I have an idea that may just help you both in that regard. There's a friend of mine on the force who has one of our older models of lie detectors in his vehicle tonight. If I make a call, he can be here in about ten minutes. Although I place a lot of confidence in lie detectors, as you both know, their results are inadmissible in court. But if you pass a lie detector test right here, in front of Nolan, he just might find enough spark of belief to stand by you and support you. Are you up for something like that, Christine? Do you think you could pass a conclusive lie detector test?"

Christine looked defiant as she hardened her face and said, "Bring it on!"

Justin made a quick phone call, "My friend on the force lives nearby and he'll be here in just a few minutes. When he arrives, please do not ask him for any identifying information or speak to him. As an officer, he is legally obligated to report back to the precinct everything he knows or learns about any ongoing case. If he doesn't know who you guys are, and he doesn't hear anything incriminating about what you may be involved in, then he will not be placed in a position to turn you in. Okay?" We all quickly agreed.

The doorbell rang about ten minutes later. Justin went to the door and a non-descript, average-looking man entered. "Good, you're here," he appreciatively said to his friend.

Justin continued, "Christine, how about sitting in a chair next to the door that leads to the hall? My associate will hook you up with the wires and sensors and connect them to his trusty machine which he will set up on the other side of the closed door in the hallway, remaining out of earshot of the specific questions I'll be asking you."

I grabbed a nearby folding chair and moved it adjacent to the door. Christine took her seat and leaned her back to rest against the wall to calm herself. The unnamed associate attached a waistband sensor and others under her arms around her upper chest. Then he attached a stick-on sensor pad on her wrist and another on her neck. He then routed all the connecting wires underneath the door into the hallway where he set up his small suitcase-sized lie detector machine. Justin informed his friend that he would only ask ten questions, and he would knock on the door to signal to his associate that a question was about to be asked, enabling him to differentiate between topics or questions.

I watched as Justin quickly shorthanded ten questions on a notepad, presumably familiar questions for lie detector tests. He then began.

"Okay, Christine. Here is your chance to prove your innocence to Nolan and the rest of us. Just remain calm and answer every yes or no question that I ask you in total honesty. Are you ready?"

Christine looked over at my concerned expression and nodded her head. "Yes, Justin, thank you. I'm as ready as I'll ever be."

"Good. This will only take a few minutes: Question number one," and Justin gave two knocks on the door to signal the pending question.

"Is your name Christine Rierson?"

"Yes," she said adroitly.

"Question number two," followed by two more knocks. "Is your date of birth May 4, 1996?"

"Yes."

Two knocks. "Excellent. Have you ever stolen anything?"

"No, I have not."

"Just yes or no, please, no other words." Two more knocks. "Do you know a man named Deshawn Bodega?"

"No."

Two knocks. "Do you know the man in this picture that I have identified as Deshawn Bodega? Perhaps you know him by another name?"

"NO!"

Two knocks. "Have you ever knowingly had sexual contact or sexual intercourse with the man shown in this picture?"

"No." She again adroitly responded.

Two knocks. "Did Abby have you home by 10 pm that Saturday night?"

"Yes."

Two knocks. "Did you leave the house again at any time that night after Abby left?"

"No."

Two knocks. "Looking at this picture, does it appear to you that you are indeed the woman in this picture naked in bed with this man?"

"Yes."

Two knocks. "Did you have anything to do with the death of this man I have identified as Deshawn Bodega?"

"NO!" She emphatically stated.

"Thank you, Christine. I believe that should do it." Justin opened the door advising the man that he was through. He could pack up the lie detector and reveal the results. After all of the sensors and wires had been removed and carefully coiled and stored, he was ready to reveal his findings.

"Well?" Justin began, "How did she do?"

"Ten questions, right?" The man confirmed.

"Correct."

His friend leaned over and whispered something in his ear and quickly left the premises.

I couldn't wait any longer. "What did he say, Justin? Did Christine pass or didn't she?"

Not wasting any time, Justin reported, "He said he gave her a clear passing score on nine of the ten questions. There was only one question that he discerned a deceptive response from her."

"Which one?" Christine asked. "I told the truth, I swear I did, Nolan. I never lied!"

"Now just hold on a second, Christine. He said the only question that appeared deceptive in some way was question number three. That's when I asked if you had ever stolen anything." Justin offered.

"Stolen anything? Stolen anything? Let me think... Back when I was in high school, and the band members were selling those candy bars to raise money, I remember someone had left their box of unsold candy unattended. I remember taking one that day but then I paid them for it two days later after my conscience got the better of me. Could that be it?" She queried.

Justin confirmed, "I think it must be, Christine. As I said, those tests are very sensitive and very revealing. Even buried subconscious thoughts such as yours could come into play. He said there was no deception in any of your other responses, so I want you to know I believe you, Christine."

"What do you think Nolan?" Justin asked as Christine looked at me for my answer.

"I'm in a quandary about this whole thing to be perfectly honest. On one hand, she agrees with us that it really is her in that picture, naked, and with another man's sperm obviously ejaculated onto and likely into her body. The evidence says that his sperm is also in her panties which implies more than a one-time sexual act. Yet, on the other hand, she has no knowledge or memory of it ever happening, and before tonight had no idea who he was. What troubles me most is that no one can offer a satisfactory explanation about what happened that night or why. That is most troubling. I suppose it's possible that she could have had some kind of psychotic break, repressing her memory of the events of that night as a mental protective measure. A man is dead and no one knows why. If she didn't do it, then someone went to extremely elaborate lengths to frame her perhaps to deflect the blame from the real killer. But why her? It just doesn't make any sense."

"I agree with you on every point, Nolan," Justin affirmed. "Since Deshawn was associated with the mob, my explanation is the only remotely plausible one I can come up with at the moment. However, the perpetrator or perpetrators did a superb job of planting irrefutable evidence that is both damning and incontestable at the same time. Since she has no memory of anything happening that night other than going to sleep, she's unfortunately trapped in an ironclad case. Tens of thousands of people have been convicted on far less evidence than has been properly documented in this case."

"So basically you're saying that it doesn't matter whether I'm guilty or not. It all boils down to what I can prove, and right now I can't prove that I didn't know him, or murder him. There is too much evidence to contradict my vehement but unprovable denials." Christine asserted.

"That's it in a nutshell, Christine," Justin confirmed.

Christine asked, "So what are my options right now, Justin? You've made it quite clear that if I turn myself over to the police, and throw myself at the mercy of the court, no matter what I say or do, I'm going to do some serious prison time, 15 to 20 years minimum, is that about right?"

"That's exactly what I'm saying, Christine."

"What are you not telling me, Justin? Earlier, you said you may have a suggestion that might keep me out of prison. I'm very interested to hear what you have to say about that," she urged.

"Quite frankly, that all depends solely upon Nolan. Before I offer to stick my neck out for you, I need to know for certain where Nolan stands on all of this. I'm sure you'd like to know as well now that you have formally passed the lie detector test with flying colors. What do you say, Nolan? Knowing what you know now, are you prepared to stand behind your wife 100%, and do whatever it takes to keep her out of prison? What I'm asking is do you love her enough to do anything and everything it takes to protect your wife and future mother of your children? I need to know right here and now before saying any more," Justin stipulated.

Three sets of eyes were now looking intently at me. It was decision time. I had no idea what it was that might be expected of me but then again, did it really matter? He had directly posed the question, was I willing to do ANYTHING to protect my wife and future mother of my children? I quickly thought back to the accident. I had intentionally placed my body in harm's way to shield hers. But even more impactful than that were the two things she had selflessly done for me. She risked her life to drag my unconscious body from a car about to explode, even though it painfully ripped muscles in her shoulder. But most impactful was her shouting to the doctors to take her organs, even her own heart if need be to save my life. This woman put her all into being with me. She didn't want to live without me.

There was no decision to make. It was almost as if I was born for this purpose, to protect her, to protect our future family. Our family life would be destroyed if she were to go to prison for any reason, let alone for murder.

I moved beside Christine and firmly put my arm around her as a physical gesture. "Of course, Justin. I will do anything to protect the love of my life. I'd rather die than see her suffer such a fate. Whatever it is, I'm in 100%. What do you suggest?"

Christine echoed, "That goes double for me too."

Justin hesitated for a moment, looked over at Abby, and then back at Christine and me.

"Okay, here's the deal. It's a one-time, take-it-or-leave-it offer. I'll understand and accept your decision, whatever it may be but I'll need an answer before Abby and I leave tonight. There is a viable version of this scenario where no one goes to prison or is even charged with a crime. I'm asking you to not comment or ask any questions, please, until after I've finished my whole spiel. Then when I tell you, you may say or ask anything you wish at that time, agreed?"

Christine and I both nodded. Justin began.

"Because I'm a detective with the police department, I am legally obligated to immediately disclose any information that I may come across pertinent to any case that we are currently investigating. What I'm saying is that, now that I know for certain that it is Christine in the photograph with Deshawn, if I don't inform the detectives working the case of my discovery, then I, too, can be prosecuted for withholding evidence from a homicide investigation, and also as an accessory after the fact. I might not get as many years of a prison sentence as Christine would but I'd also lose my job, my pension, my career, and life as I know it. Hell, I might even lose Abby, depending on the length of my sentence. So, you see, Abby and I would be taking an enormous gamble, even risking our way of life by my taking measures to help keep Christine out of prison."

He continued, "However, Abby and I both love you guys to the moon and back. You're our very best friends. As far as we're both concerned, you two are family to us, and we wouldn't want to see anything happen to ever break us apart, least of all something Christine may not even be guilty of. When Abby and I came here tonight, we needed convincing that you were innocent. I think we all now believe in your innocence, Christine, but as you know, what the four of us believe, and what can be proved are two different things."

He went on, "Three damning sets of evidence are stacked up against you. The DNA and fingerprint evidence are too plentiful for me to do anything about but the photograph, even though it doesn't identify your face, it identifies your body. If I stick my neck out and am clever about it, I can make that single piece of evidence disappear forever. That will leave only the DNA and fingerprints. Christine, if I do this, as long as you are not arrested for a crime, your fingerprints and DNA will never cross the police department's database. You'll remain off our radar, and this case will be relegated to the unsolved files. Because Deshawn was a drug dealer, I doubt that anyone will miss him very much."

Justin resumed, "I've never tampered with or destroyed evidence before. The only reason I am considering doing this is the love we both have for you two. However, you may not like the next part that I have to say but as I said, it is a take-it-or-leave-it proposition. Think about this, whoever may be trying to frame you might eventually discover that you haven't been arrested for Deshawn's murder. It is possible that they might check on you or try to abscond with you again to entrap you further before too much time has passed on the investigation. They would know that the department is not going to expend a lot of time and resources on the murder of a known drug dealer. As a result of that logic, I'm suggesting that Christine lay low for a while, and remain off their radar for at least a month at minimum. I'm sure you both will probably agree with me that it would be wise to do that."

Christine and I looked at each other as we both nodded our heads in affirmation.

"I thought so. So here's what I require of you in return. Because I'm risking my neck to keep you out of prison, I stand to lose every bit as much as you for my silence and obstruction of justice. And I'd be completely willing to do that for you two, if you'd both be willing to do something for me in return, for us. Christine, during that month of laying low, I'd want you to come and live with me at my home acting as my wife in every way. Abby, in turn, will stay and live here with Nolan and be his wife in every way. If whoever is behind this doesn't find you living here with Nolan, they'll never suspect you'd be living with a Charlotte PD Detective. Plus, if you're with me, I can protect you better than he can because I'm a Police Officer, no disrespect to your husband. By the time the month is up, the investigating detectives will have given up trying to solve the case and move on to other more pressing investigations, and the heat will then be off of you."

He continued, "You and Nolan can be assured about me not reneging or changing my mind later, and turning you in for the crime. After all, if we swap spouses for a month, I could be charged as a collaborator. There's no way I'd ever change my mind. Also, I want it to be clearly understood that Abby and I have no plans or designs on changing any marital arrangements. She and I have an unbreakable bond that no one can sever. We will remain happily married until we grow old and die. We want the same for you two as well. We will never try to change any love dynamic between you two. That being said, during the month of the exchange, we want you two to do your very best to satisfy Abby and me including our respective appetites both sexually and emotionally. During the month-long swap, you are both to never deny Abby or me anything, and I do mean anything. You will both be expected to lose any inhibitions and cater to our impulsive desires. If you both do that, then no one will go to prison. If you decide to decline this offer, then I will inform my superiors in the morning of Christine's identity, and let the chips fall where they may. That's my offer. I'd like you to take a few minutes to think about everything I've said.

Chapter-7

Christine and I stood open-mouthed at what we had just been presented. Our minds were in a whirlwind of confusion and fear. One thing we both knew for certain, after tonight, our lives will be forever changed, one way or another. Either Christine will go to prison for a crime we both believe she didn't commit but there's all that damning evidence suggesting otherwise, or we'll both agree to a month-long wife swap. We looked at each other. Christine was trying to see where I stood before speaking. What she saw was concern, disgust, and my protective instinct all at once. Just imagining her having unprotected sex with that thug disgusted me, whether she killed him justifiably for it or not. My concern was for my family life and the stability that would be ruined if she were to be charged and convicted. My protective instinct still wanted to save the threads of whatever we had left of our love after learning everything tonight. I know I love her, and I have never doubted her love for me.

1...45678...23