All Comments on 'Coincidence at Forty?'

by demander

Sort by:
  • 126 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Cuck

SwordWielderSwordWielderover 1 year ago

Decent story. Not sure if I agree with the ending. What Jane and May did was deliberate, planned cheating. She willingly betrayed him and committed treachery. Divorce was necessary. Forgiving her may have mad sense for Rick's own mental health if he was seeing a counselor, but starting up a relationship with her again?!? This was not a case of they just weren't right for each other, or the timing was bad. This was a case where she deliberately sabotaged her marriage. A good looking, good guy with a good job is a rare commodity in his 50's and would be a hot item for women. A good looking woman at that age is going to find it hard to find a good man interested in her for more than sex, and if it gets known that her marriage ended because she cheated then the difficultly of finding a good partner will increase dramatically. Personally I would hope he finds someone else to share a life with. May deserves a lifetime of regret for her actions.

enderlocke77enderlocke77over 1 year ago

rofl come one u make a character key and u still get the wrong name

After a while Joan whispered,

should work on how to introduce ur characters imbedded into the story u shouldnt need a character key for a 3 page story

WetheNorthWetheNorthover 1 year ago
Too many clichés

It spoiled the story

BBeinhartBBeinhartover 1 year ago

Very good, indeed!

lujon2019lujon2019over 1 year ago

Pity, in the end he was nothing but a cuck and a coward

Next time use the cuck tag, and people like me will pass over and not give you one star for lying and suckering us into reading cuck shit

BlackJackSteeleBlackJackSteeleover 1 year ago

Great read.

Well written. Well done.

Five stars.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

meh

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Since the two were D.C. lawyers, I was hoping for a terrorist attack to take them out.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

If Rick hadn't screwed Jane, he would have the right to be irate. But he did, so him being all indignant made him look like an overreacting pussy. You lose alot of ground when accusing your wife of cheating, when you did the exact same thing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Well done 👍

BigfundrewBigfundrewover 1 year ago

This was a great story, though often times it seems you might be trying too hard to make the reader stop to go look up a word in the dictionary.

AngelRiderAngelRiderover 1 year ago

More effort needed to be made to justify the decision for reconciliation in the end rather than simply having them decide to get back together. You chose the resolution and the manner to get there. It just wasn't very convincing. This story leaves me confused more than anything else. Perhaps if you painted May in a more sympathetic manner.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

What a sanctimonious, hypocritical arsehole.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Love it when true love survives all the crap that happened

brian_scoobybrian_scoobyover 1 year ago

Time does help heal. Too bad that it had to take 10+ years. To me… they belong together. AND… everyone deserves a second chance. Thank-you for this great story!

ThorlolThorlolover 1 year ago

If Rick really regretted the sex with Jane maybe you should include that in the story. He went on and on about how he was ambushed. Well thats bullshit, he was never drunk and they went out together for dinner and dancing. He could have gone to his room at any time. And someone whos unwilling doesnt fuck through the night and the next morning. Afterwards he felt not an ounce of guilt. If he is sooooooo weak and cant resist, how the fuck did he stay faithful before? Jane didnt need to do more than to dress sexy and he went along. Cant call that a 'set-up' or 'ambush'. Weak premise and a "I'am allowed to do that but you are not" attitude. May should have been happy to get away from such a hipocryte but what can you expect from a lawyer.

ibuguseribuguserover 1 year ago

5*. Well written. A complex story with its twists. Initially, responses were rather predictable but eventually, and overall, it was original.

miket0422miket0422over 1 year ago

People can say Rick was inflexible but, if you look at the results after the "swap" it's hard to argue with him.

After both couples broke their fidelity to each other .... Jane went on to cheat again and Mel divorced her. So, even though both wives swore it was a one time thing and they'd never do it again Jane did. So, 50% failure rate there.

May when asked in counseling was at least honest. Even though it was costing her marriage she still didn't regret fucking Mel. On some levels her betrayal was the worst because she fucked Mel in her marital bed. As wrong as all of it was, at least the sex between Rick and Jane occurred out of town in a hotel room.

Other than saying it was because they were all 40 and that she thought they'd never get caught Mel never did explain why she did what she did.

PowersworderPowersworderover 1 year ago

So he refused to commit to the horny 32-year-old, causing her to leave him, and decided to get back together with his manipulative, scheming, unfaithful 50-year-old ex wife.

If you wondered why this scored so low, that's the reason why.

-

May did nothing to earn the reconciliation. She fucked a bunch of guys since the divorce, and continued to be friends with Mel and Jane. Also, no man would choose his cheating ex-wife over a hot girlfriend nearly two decades younger. That's just not how men think or behave.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I would have given u 5 stars but u had to screw up and throw a small bit of political BS into the story!! I read these tweets get away from things I don’t want to think about or get aggravated by.. in the future u may want to think about why u write these! GL

francemanfrancemanover 1 year ago

good story.

It was not a Raac but a restart after 10 years.

In addition, these 10 years of separation seemed more difficult for May than for Rick who was able to have a few more emotional relationships than just sex.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

What a weak ending, so much cliché

Dittybopper6989Dittybopper6989over 1 year ago

Good story as it poses questions. I personally had hidden desires to swap but never did.

SeafoamzoneSeafoamzoneover 1 year ago

Demander is one of my favorite authors and this story is well written and planned out.

Rick was basically and hypocritical asshole, but that was necessary for the narration.

5 stars.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Another demander dud. 1*

mikeyjb51mikeyjb51over 1 year ago

Another great read, young man. I love all of your works

silentsoundsilentsoundover 1 year ago

Almost perfect. Great story, writing and plot.

It just missed perfect for me which was probably due to more details and mechanics needing to be worked through being worked through.

For example, How had May's position on her treacherous sex with Mel change over ten years or did it? She initially didn't regret it, even when it was costing her marriage. That seemed to be a monstrous wound between her and Rick in that he deeply regretted his behavior while she did not.

It was still a very interesting storyline and well plotted and written.

Well done.

vickitvohiovickitvohioover 1 year ago

This was one of your best stories EVER...until it wasn't. 3*

AileyInnAileyInnover 1 year ago

Great story. Such is life…

Harryin VAHarryin VAover 1 year ago

So the angry ex husband wasted allllllll that time?

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Jesus Christ the situation is a mess. Rick acted a sanctimonious but he kept cheating. May said something to the effect of "oh well I never would have cheated after that" yet Jane cheated again.

I don't feel good or bad for anyone. They all suck.

You know what really bothers me? What if one of the guys refused to cheat the first time? Say Rick straight up refused to put himself into the position where he might cheat early on that night when he was conscious of the danger he might cheat. Just said he was sick or something. Come home and found the underwear. Things explode and naturally the wives would be forced to admit what they did. God that would be depressing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

He wasted ten years of the best years of their lives because he was so damned intransigent. What a shame.

nixroxnixroxover 1 year ago

4 stars - not 5 - because of the underhanded way the wives swapped husbands. Selfish greed and lust is a poor substitute for love, honesty, integrity and trust - as these two couples found out the hard way. In effect, they spent 10 years in purgatory and being shunned for their crimes and that is a life sentence. So it is good that Rick and May got back together - that is a RAAC I can agree with.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

“But I betrayed my values. She wanted me to do that."

.

And THAT was one of the most insightful utterances ever in an LW story. Rick had to leave May…not simply because she cheated…but because she manipulated HIM to cheat (with co-slut Jane). Rick truly regretted failing his values…while May still thought her night of bliss with Mel was “special”.

.

Not sure the author really pulled off the reconciliation though. Yeah….time did what it does…dulls the pain and lowers the temperature of anger. But still….the offense was major. Not sure most men could get back with a wife that pulled that stunt.

.

4 ****

sxyilmsxyilmover 1 year ago

Obviously it would ruin the story line; but if I was Mel no way in hell I am leaving May's house without my underwear.

In May's case, I would be inspecting the house making sure there were no clues ESPECIALLY the bedroom area. Also seems likely they would have had a regular house cleaner.

OTOH, I also think that May very likely would have cheated with Mel again if not caught this time.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 1 year ago

"It never would have happened again." - Jane said that also, yet it did.

\

Lost a star for them getting back together. The holiday fuck fest was fine, should have left it at that.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Your writing is still top notch. I was betrayed and left her forever. The few times we had to be close, I was stiffly polite and never got warm to her. She never gave me space for healing. She's always trying to get me back. As soon as my daughter reaches 18, I'm leaving.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Well women are fore most loyal to them self, never admitting to doing anything wrong.

Selfish to to the core

des911des911over 1 year ago

Nice story, well written. Sometimes it was difficult to keep the names and relationships clear (that may be my problem, not yours).

I enjoyed the story and the plot. You kept your options open for many different endings before finally putting us out of our misery. Well done and thank you

Demosthenes384bcDemosthenes384bcover 1 year ago

The first part of the story had me wondering where you were taking us. I mean, everyone had cheated and both husbands succumbed to a seduction. As you brought us along, I got to see Rick's view made a bit of sense. Well done there. It would have helped a bit if we were led to believe it was initially Jane's idea, but her later actions pretty much summed it for me. I sometimes have issues with your stories having "clunky" narrative and edit issues, but saw non of that here. 5*

FireFox59FireFox59over 1 year ago

Good story. I could see them getting back together after 10 years but not get remarried.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Well I guess 50 year old women everywhere will comfort themselves by believing their ex- husband would leave a smart successful 32 year old beauty to return to a used up cheater because of her delicious pumpkin bread recipe.

TonyspencerTonyspencerover 1 year ago

Sometimes you have to stick to your principles even when you fucked up. Not sure about the reconciliation, but I’m sure there will ways be that doubt lingering on.

TonyspencerTonyspencerover 1 year ago

Sorry, kent to add, that this was well constructed and written and well worth 5*.

waltdeewaltdeeover 1 year ago

Unsettling and satisfying at the same time. Good job.

WargamerWargamerover 1 year ago

Yeah l liked it it. I’ve actually seen stories like this pan out in real life a couple of times now.

You know, one of a couple play up, get caught, get divorced and then years later when they grow up a bit more, get back together.

Out of three couples l know who went thru this two remarried and the other continued in a de facto relationship. Hubby could not remarry her, she understood.

All now have really strong relationships. They now understand what it’s all about.

Truth can be stranger than fiction

Me???

Happily married 40 years, The two of us still have eyes only for each other.

Scores 5/5

amygdalaamygdalaover 1 year ago

Really though the author should have slipped in a bit of "I told you so" when Jane had another affair and Mel found out. Rick should have sent him a note asking if the cuckoldry that Jane gave him with the younger co-worker was a gift like the sex with May, and if he was still grateful!!!

Legio_Patria_NostraLegio_Patria_Nostraover 1 year ago

Rick is a righteous red-pilled dude! Very well-written story that highlights the difference between honorable men and entitled women. Even when they fail, honorable men operate within known and predictable boundaries. This highlights a fundamental disconnect between men and women that most writers cannot express. 5+++++++/5!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I agree with the divorce. The men were weak but the women plotted it and I agree that is worse. Also, as he said, the sex with Mel was the best so how can he perform with her again knowing he is now second best, maybe? Ego is hard. Once you are in that situation you can never really recover.

vickitvohiovickitvohioover 1 year ago

It looks like I'm not the only one not buying this ending. Time heals all wounds.. wrong! You know what wound it WON'T heal? your wife NOT being sorry for cheating or that her mental image of the best sex she ever had was with your ex-best friend. BTW, this isn't an apology ""I know. It was the worst mistake of my life. Nothing else is even close."

Rocky62Rocky62over 1 year ago

Enjoyable plot, Rick over reacted like his wrong was of lesser magnitude, at least the women sexed up both men simultaneously, both men dove in dick first and enjoyed it . Rick has no halo

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Wow, lots of emotions come into play in this story. Nicely written. Thanks for sharing it with us.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

As is my usual experience with this author, I found the story to be interesting and thought provoking but discovered, upon reflection, that I do not find the plot plausible as presented. My instincts regarding how "most folks with personalities like that" would feel and/or respond to aspects of the story are not consistent with demander's portrayal of his protagonist. In this case, I am first troubled by the inconsistency between Rick's evident eagerness to fuck Jane while they're out of town together and his subsequent devastation by the knowledge the wives had planned the duel seductions. If trust and fidelity were as important to him as he claims when filing for divorce, there should have been more soul searching before he fucked his best friend's wife and his wife's best friend. Most people really are not that hypocritical...well, most people who are not lawyers, anyways. Second, if we accept the fact Rick truly was torn asunder by May's enjoyment of her betrayal of him, he would not so easily fall back into a relationship with her simply because 10 years have passed. I was especially taken aback by the idea he was pleased to see May had "learned a lot" sexually since they had last been together. That is way too cucky an attitude for him to suddenly embrace...yes, even though he's a lawyer.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

How can you be manipulated to cheat? He's not brainwashed or helpless. Rick is selfish and a hypocrite. As the story went on I found myself rooting against him

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

everyone seems to think that what Jane and May did was underhand..blah blah blah...! But a simple reminder here...if both guys would have kept their peckers in the pants well the plan would habe been doomed.... but no...the virtous american till now faithful husband couldnt do that! even if the females had tried to manipulate... what stopped the men from saying NO?

Not a single character worth wasting time on...each was a shitty specimen in his/her own right!

Definately a dud ...as Demander always has obliged us with!

MCMaineNudistMCMaineNudistover 1 year ago

Nice ending. I hate seeing a guy throw away 20 years of marriage / happiness over a one time “mistake”.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Boring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago
Well

Overall a good story. Some mechanical writing issues were distracting, but not to the point of making it unreadable.

No heartburn over the divorce couple becoming FWB. Would have been pissed if they remarried. She recklessly lit the marriage on fire. Since she's proven she cannot properly take care of delicate thing of value such as a marriage, she doesn't deserve to get shot at it.

Where the author could have done better was to develop why they got back together. They went from not talking for 10 years to screwing like rabbits. I can see them agreeing to be more civil with each other and then rebuild the relationship. But from nothing to FWB living with each other? That's a reach.

Gave the story 4*. Almost a five if the ending didn't seemed rushed.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I liked the story. Four stars.

Yet, have to say that May made a more binding "no others" promise before and did not keep it. So what is this one worth?

Hard to understand how the two women could be that selfish. Better a stranger than your husband's best friend....and much more likely they would never find out. Killed a marriage and their best friendships.

If Rick had developed a relationship with someone his own age would they have ended up back together? I am thinking no.

dark2donut2dark2donut2over 1 year ago

Absurdity. What is that with being sanctimonious? If you cheated, manipulated or not, you have no leg to stand on. All the moralizing after that is a hogwash.

The real story would have been much better if one of the men resisted and stood his ground, then you could proceed with moralizing. But this way, this is only a hogwash story.

By the way, there is a typical male fantasy garbage about man going from woman to woman because he cannot "trust" any more. That is BS as well. Single women do expect more, most of them. They do not settle for "friends with benefits" nonsense often used on LW. Therefore treating any woman as a passing fad is insultive and cannot be a trait of a "moral" person.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Completely in agreement with Anony below:

But I betrayed my values. She wanted me to do that."

And THAT was one of the most insightful utterances ever in an LW story. Rick had to leave May…not simply because she cheated…but because she manipulated HIM to cheat (with co-slut Jane). Rick truly regretted failing his values…while May still thought her night of bliss with Mel was “special”.

Very well done throughout. Thank you for this story.

LWlurker

Wh00sherWh00sherover 1 year ago

You need to throw in even more names at the start, just to ensure the reader is thoroughly confused.

Meh, not enjoyable at all

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I've read stories where the cheating wife gives her lover her panties as a souvenir but never read the cheating husband doing that. I know this was different as the underwear was somehow left under the bed. But how do you leave without it? I mean you know you arrived there to do a job and was not "commando". Mel had plenty of time to dress so there is really no reason for him to forget to look for his underwear. I mean as he pulls up his pants he would notice something was missing.

I think another method of discovery was needed and you should have waited to publish this until you figured it out.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Well written interesting plot. Then frustrating Rick character well developed but man that was frustrating to read about his determination to be miserable. Author created Rick’s sanctimonious character then justified it with Jane’s infidelity.

In my mind I wrote an alternative where Rick and Mel reluctantly come to accept and continue to swap and have foursome with everyone present. I think that gives author opportunity for character development and emotional struggles to keep the story interesting and avoid the negative vibe of Rick’s righteousness as written in this story. I claim no copyright on this plot. Go forth and write it if you dare.

oldtwitoldtwitover 1 year ago

I really liked this, I can feel his hurt

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Another terrific story. I particularly like Happily-Ever-After stories. This tale tells of family living and loving in spite of adversity. I'm happy with it. LP

BuzzCzarBuzzCzarover 1 year ago

Your writing style reminds me of an old TV program "Dragnet". Monotones, little to no expressed emotions. The premise was odd. All four cheated. Nobody was coerced, drugged, forced. I don't understand such sanctimonious drivel from the males. That and the abandoned underwear as a clue were really weak. 3* was the best I could do in scoring.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

The cuck ending is appropriate from a writer who has succumbed to the MMGW and Covid psyops. Spend less time writing and more time outside the "curate" MSM/tech media and learn to think more critically.

teedeedubteedeedubover 1 year ago

Good effort. To you young'ns, don't set your expectations too high. You will, ultimately, be disappointed.

OvercriticalOvercriticalover 1 year ago

I'm always a big fan of second chances for people who drift. This was done well. 5*

timrivtimrivover 1 year ago

Ten years is to long to much water would have flowed under the bridge, The ability to get together after that I think would be impossible. The original sin might be forgotten but the relationships that happened over the ten years would be a wall neither would be able to get past in the long run. Jealousy would creep in after the initial sexual high wore off.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Glad the story ended as it did. Rick was pretty ridiculous in view of his concurrent infidelity. Who cares who planned it and who “just went with it”? Rick’s an insufferable dolt. Good luck to May with Mr. “I’m so offended.” Geez, life’s too short and this putz just blew off ten years of his life, for nothing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Two issues: 1) No one forgets their underwear and 2) No way they get back together after 10 years.

afanoffanlitafanoffanlitover 1 year ago

Well told story, but there is no way I’d go back…10 years or not. No trust ever again.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Boring

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Well, shit happens and then you die. Well written and knew it would be a race for one and a divorce for the other. It just took awhile to come back around. Don’t think I would associate with any of these four. So what the night cost them in time and loss is really not something I care about. They are all cheaters to varying degrees and they deserve each other.

kamdev99008kamdev99008over 1 year ago

Interesting story with if not better, a good ending

Reconciliation here is not a RAAC, it is an emotional (sexual too) reconnection after 10 years of separation

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

He cheated so I don't get him being so sanctimonious. He had a choice. Sure his wife's scheming and cheating was terrible.... but this marriage could have should have been saved.

Lifestyle66Lifestyle66over 1 year ago

He and the other husband made choices to cheat, too. Claiming the wives seduced them and schemed doesn't relieve their responsibilities in it. And the fact the men didn't own up to it immediately and tried to keep their own affairs secret makes this all overly dramatic.

Then add the other husband's later divorce and second failing marriage because he was the RACC wimp ...??? And the one who went for BTB divorce eventually getting back with his wife?

I don't like to give 1 or 2 ratings, so I'll have to say 3 for this. It might appeal to the BTB Loving Wife crowd.

SplitGeode66SplitGeode66over 1 year ago

I liked the story, but something about the writing style bugged me. 4 stars .

SarahwithloveSarahwithloveover 1 year ago

>>>I am sick today so please forgive my short response and poor grammar<<<

Rick was wrong in leaving May. Playing the victim in this was, in my opinion, related to his job as a defense attorney. Maybe he was fed up with wrongdoers getting off, even if he was the cause of it. He is lucky that he found his way back to May.

Very good story here, one of the better ones that I have read lately. I figured the kids would play more of a role in this story after the introduction, but not a big deal.

KittyCampbellKittyCampbellover 1 year ago

I liked the story but was the Rick character ever the hypocrite.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

One of your worst ! 2*

jd3608jd3608over 1 year ago

loved the story, but made my mind up to give it a 5 based upon your note at the end.

GuyfromShadesGuyfromShadesover 1 year ago

Enjoyed the story. Thanks for your writing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

The old I forgot my underpants under the bed trick. Sanctimonious arsehole.

Jumping from first to third person midstream is annoying.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Novel format. Two couples whose men are seduced by the other wives (intentionally) on same night. The men are okay with cheating until they find they were tricked. The lawyer can't get over being tricked by his teacher wife & divorces; then after ten years, gets back with her. The construction guy gets past it after some days, only to find his lawyer wife cheating with a younger lawyer a few years later, so divorces & finds happiness with another lady. An interesting & realistic exploration of how two couples experience infidelity differently.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Probably true to life in many ways. Decently written. But even given that, it would be unfair for me to give you a score. It would be low. I'm very weak, but not as weak as those two.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I might be able to accept his holier than thou attitude if he had not cheated himself, but he did. Scheme or no scheme, he was a guilty as May. I wish she had kicked hia ass to the curb and let him suffer. Anyone that arrogant and self-centered deserves NO happiness.

26thNC26thNCover 1 year ago

Different, but not bad. Four cheaters, four losers.

012Say012Sayover 1 year ago

Sorry I did not comment sooner. I put this on a reading list and just got to it. Great concept for a story and very ambitious to pull off as a short story, very well done. Lots to deal with and I liked that you focused on one couple, while providing enough story on the second. Sorry that the score is what it is. No cheater shot by a bazooka = lower score than the story deserves, 5 from me.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

The critical line is when he told the counselor that his wife wanted him to compromise his principles. No decent man would ever associate with someone who wanted him to fail. The author betrayed the character he created by having him go back to her.

ZK

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

SHITTY ENDING

Wildbill1964Wildbill1964over 1 year ago

Promising future prediction. 5/5

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Fuck that reconciliation.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I really liked everything in this story except the sentence that referred to fifty as old. I’m seventy and still fuck? I’m not old.

MarkT63MarkT63over 1 year ago

Two wrongs don't make a reconciliation!!!

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous