Come Home with Us

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

And slowly, as it always had to do, the madness ended. People began to drift away, calling out thanks and merry Christmas, and there were hugs and promises to see each other soon or talk on social media.

In the end, it was that core group who stayed behind, Maria helping with the cleanup until Shawna joined her. The two worked together, talking, getting to know one another. Shawna didn't apologize again that trip, but she would make it all up, and soon. When Anne wanted to get Catrin, Maria, and Ben together for a picture, Catrin mentioned it would be their first as partners.

"Wait, really?" Shawna asked. "Hang on."

She insisted on taking the picture with her husband's phone. He was a nature lover and had a brand-new model just for its stellar picture capabilities. With Maria in the middle, Ben and Catrin kissed her cheeks, and Shawna snapped a few killer pics. She insisted on a few more poses, some really good ones, but it was that first set of pictures that were the most important. The next morning, when they were opening gifts, she handed a wrapped package to Maria. It was the picture, blown up and printed out on generic paper stock and put in a gorgeous frame.

"I'm going to have that developed," Shawna said, "and you'll get a nicer print to put in that frame. I wanted to be the one to give that to you because... well, you know."

Maria did, and thanked her profusely. Though they would receive a lot of wonderful gifts that year and in the decades to come from Catrin's family, that one always held the most significance, hanging on their wall until the memories were nothing but happy ghosts.

* * *

Christmas held one more spark of joy for Maria. Her brothers called her from the beach, wishing her a merry Christmas and lamenting that they didn't come visit her that year.

"We're making it up to you," Arturo said. "We're flying you to Martin's for Easter."

"Your friends too," Martin said. "No Dad. He's not welcome until he's agreed to maybe talk to a doctor and get help."

What hung in the air was that all three of them knew that wouldn't happen. Their father would live the rest of his life holding onto his hate because it was all he had. But Maria thanked them anyways, and told them yes, she would love to come. She hung up, and nestled her head against Ben, in the middle of the couch with a Christmas tin of popcorn on his lap as they watched one last holiday movie for the season.

"I guess I should have told them about us," Maria said. "But I think I've had enough crazy for a few minutes."

Ben fed her a bite of cheesy popcorn, then turned and did the same for Catrin. "Just wait," he said. "My family's already heard about us and they want us to have dinner when we get back to the city."

"Is your family crazy too?" Maria asked, nestling into him. Catrin laughed, and Ben grinned.

"Isn't everybody's?"

* * * * *

A very merry Christmas to you and yours! Or... merry June, or whenever you're reading this. -I.S.